Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Up A Sun (View Post)
Oh that one was with Romola Garai right? Love her and really want to watch that version. Need to find it online. So it was better than Paltrow's?
In some points, yes and some points, no. The Romola Garai version I find is closer to the book and yet, I think that some characters, like Mr.Knightley and Harriet, were better interpreted in the Gwyneth Paltrow version, but that's just my opinion.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh a new version of Emma, SWEET. I always love when differnet versions come out of my favorite movies. I have seen about 4 versions of Pride and Prejudice, 2 of persuasion, 2 for mansfield park, 2 for sense and sensibility and 3 for emma. Stepping out of JA wolrd I also have seen 3 different versions of Jane eyre,and 2 of wuithering heights. The more times they reduo my Period movies the better. I will have to go check it out.

I actually was watching Emma ( gwens version) a few nights ago.

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
BleedingBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I have to knock this thread up beause of my Emma/Knightley love. I am on the last part of episode two and must comment on the scene were Emma is a bit annoyed she didn't get a invitation to the Coles though she says she would refuse going anyway. Favorite part:

Knightley Im suprised to find you in today.
Emma: Why.
Knightley: Your usually out and about now adays whenever I visit. Always in the company of the prodigal son.
Emma: Mr Knightley, does not become of you to be sarcastic. I do take pleasure in Frank churchhills company, as anyone but the sourest of personalitys would. But today he is out of town for the morning.
Knightely: He doesnt come here for twenty years and just dissapers for the day.
Emma:He has urgent business...... He has gone to london to get his hair cut.
Knightley:His hair cut. Of course, imperative business indeed

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
BleedingBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Supreme Fan

Elizabeth and Darcy

Zayn Malik is my son.
~Zohra~ icon : Cereal Killer
BrucasBangelBrylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

John/Margaret

My LJ
Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Has anybody seen the new BBC series of Emma? I did and although I don't have a definitive version of Emma that I can say is my favorite (except its modern rendition, Clueless ), I quite liked it.
I just finished watching this yesterday and came in here to say the same thing. It's lovely adaptation and Romola and Johnny Lee Miller do a wonderful job as Emma and Knightly. Definitly my favourite adaptation of my favourite Austen novel.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Master Fan

My two favourites of all time are Elizabeth and Darcy and Margaret and Mr. Thornton.
In a way they are both similar and I love them both so much I can still remember the first time I read both novels. I always thought Elizabeth and Darcy would always be my number one and then I read North and South and loved it more than P&P and the couples are now tied for n.1

Elinor/Edward and Marianne/Brandon (although I actually felt bad for Willoughby and didn't dislike him and Marianne)

Emma/Mr. Knightley

I'm sure there are a few more I'm forgetting and will add later!

BTW - Glad to hear the new Emma adaptation is good. Gonna have to catch it later. It's on iplayer right? I've seen the film and thought it was ok. Also love the modern retelling of it

What's everyone's fav. P&P adaptation? I love all (I must have seen about 4 of them) but my fav. by far is the 1995 version. It just somehow managed to be exactly how I'd pictured it and the actors were amazing. It was just incredibly faithful to the novel.
The North and South 2004(?) adaptation is also great - I bought and watched it the day after I finished the novel and thought it was amazing. They changed very little and while I still prefer the novel (when don't I ) it was really very good.

As for Sense and Sensibility I've seen both the film written by Emma Thompson and the more recent TV series and I must say I prefer the film. Nothing against the series (which being longer was actually more faithful to the book), but the actors in the film were just really good and exactly how I imagined the characters.

The rest of the Jane Austen books I've only seen a slightly older BBC version of them - which was ok.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlgreenie (View Post)
My two favourites of all time are Elizabeth and Darcy and Margaret and Mr. Thornton.
In a way they are both similar and I love them both so much I can still remember the first time I read both novels. I always thought Elizabeth and Darcy would always be my number one and then I read North and South and loved it more than P&P and the couples are now tied for n.1.
I have to agree. There is just something I connect with more with Thornton and Margaret. I love Darcy and Elizabeth but I have to say the other two just pip them.

The BBC's adaptation of North and South may be to blame. I loved the book and Richard Armitage's portrayal just made me swoon. I also thought the actress who played Margaret played her to perfection. There chemistry was fantastic.

My Favorite adaptation of P&P is actually the 2005 film. I loved Kiera knightly and Matthew together. I do love the BBC version and I like how the story is fully told and who doesn't love that lake scene but the film edges it for me.

The BBCs Emma was fantastic. The music was beautifully done and it is still a series i need to own on DVD. I actually think it ended up being my favorite adaptation of Emma to date.

I'm really looking forward to the return of Downton Abbey and can't wait to see more Matthew and Mary. It is both refreshing and unsettling watching an original period drama and not knowing that everything will be alright in the end.
Kelly2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:34 AM
Elite Fan

aw i didnt know abt this thread

Emma/Knightley are my favs
& adaptation with Paltrow
Old 09-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by science girlfriend (View Post)
aw i didnt know abt this thread

Emma/Knightley are my favs
& adaptation with Paltrow
I didn't know this thread existed either!

I must say I am a sucker when it comes to period drama/romances. However I usually get myself invested in romances that don't end up so successful..... seriously my favourites all go to crap:
Nan and Kitty from Tipping the Velvet - I can just about accept Nan's final choice as I tend to believe the whole novel is just a bittersweet love song to that of one's first love; hence why the beginning and end of N&K's relationship bookends the novel. Haters can hate.
Willoughby and Marianne from S&S - I forever hate Jane Austin for simultaneously making sense and sensibility one of my most favourite classics but also one of my least favourite classics of all time. Fudge that ending to hell.
Everything about The English Patient.
Pip and Estella from Great Expectations - ESTELLA Y U NO LOVE HIM BACK?
Jon and Fleur from The Forsyte Saga - Back in '03 this shredded the emotions of my 14 year old self, I'm not sure I ever recovered from it. I still can't watch anything with Gina Mckee (Irene) or Damian Lewis (Soames) without feeling just a tad resentful inside.
Jo and Laurie from Little Women - KDJSKJSKJD(*U£EOKW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Christian/Satine from Moulin Rouge - it's only a film, but they count right?

I think I've only ever truly been satisfied with;
Christine/Raoul from Phantom of the Opera - Andrew Lloyd Webber has tried his darnedest to destroy them in the last decade, but hey Andrew, you can't re-write the novel no matter how many spin off musicals you produce. My bb's aren't his characters.
And obviously
Lizzie and Darcy from P&P - one saving grace in the hell hole that is my taste in shipping. Though I tend to be in the minority as I disliked Joe Wright's version. Colin and Jennifer all the way!

So yeah, I like my period drama to come with a massive side of angst and heartbreak
Scully_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Master Fan

I love the P&P movie, but the series will always be my fav. Mainly because they all acted exactly like I imagined them!! Colin F. and Jennifer E. will always be my Darcy and Elizabeth. Although to be fair I'd probably seen the series 7-8x by the time I'd seen the film so it would have been hard for it to overtake it!

Glad to hear it's a good series. I love Emma and will need to watch that then.

I can never say enough about North and South - it is just brilliant. And so is the series!! it's all around amazing.

Jo/Laurie - I'd forgotten about this.

Oh agreed on Matthew and Mary from Downton Abbey. Can't wait for Sep.16th!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Glad to see more people posting on here

Aw yes Jo/Laurie

My LJ
Old 09-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Master Fan

I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation.
It was too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun

Just a little picture spam!
Old 07-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

My LJ
Reply   Post New Thread