Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I want to get both the new one and older versions of Mansfield park.

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
BleedingBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thinking of watching the new version of pride and prejudice today. I am in a darcy/Elizabeth mood.

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
Old 04-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Elite Fan

Great mood to be in.
I always watch P&P on Xmas day.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Do you watch the BBC version or the new one?

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Fan

Watching the 2006 version of Jane Eyre last weekend made me crave some period dramas.

I've seen the 1995 and 2005 versions of Pride & Prejudice and I adore them. (Although the 1995 version is my favourite because it sticks the closest to the book.)

I've seen the 1995 version of Sense & Sensibility and I'm in the midst of reading the book (I've got the Jane Austen bible with her complete works, it's awesome. ).

I've seen the movie version of Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow in it although I prefer the modern rendition of it (Clueless - the 1995 movie).

Does anyone know which versions of Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion are the best?

I've also yet to see the North & South version with Richard Armitage in it that everyone raves about. It's also on my list.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh I didn't know we had this thread.

I've seen both the 95 and 05 versions of Pride and Prejudice and love them both. The BBC one is much better at sticking with what was in the book and of course has Colin Firth as Darcy which you can't go wrong with. I also love the 05 version but only because it's shorter so it doesn't take as long to get to all the Darcy/Elizabeth goodness. I've read the book too many times to count... it's really a sickness at this point.

North and South has quickly become my favorite period movie/mini-series and John/Margaret are my favorite couple. (I can't believe they knocked out Darcy/Elizabeth. ) The mini-series is amazing and everyone that hasn't seen it really should. The dynamic between John and Margaret is just brilliant, the train scene at the end is my all time favorite for any period drama,... Richard and Daniela have amazing chemistry and you really feel what they're feeling. The other characters are really wonderful too like Higgins and Bessie and Mr. Bell. I just bought the book, haven't gotten to read it yet, but I'm sure I'll love it just as much if not more so than the series.

I've seen Emma and Sense and Sensibility, the newer versions, and I like both but idk they just aren't favorites of mine. I've read the books as well but I can't remember too much about them. I might have to do a reread.

Out of Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, and Persuasion I've only seen the Mansfield Park version with Billie Piper as Fanny and um... yeah. I love Billie but I wasn't a fan of the other actors in the movie aside from her and the one that played Edmund. That being said I do own it and watch it quite often... I love the story and it's done well.

As for Jane Eyre, I've never read the book although I really need to. I recently watched part of the 2006 version and it was really good, need to find a link to watch the rest of it online though. I can definitely see Jane and Mr. Rochester becoming one of my favorite book and period drama couples.

Btw, I know it's not a period drama but has anyone seen The Jane Austen Book Club? Or read it. I think it does very well incorporating Jane Austen's couples to real life but still talking about them as they were written by her.

You're not my employee. You're my P A R T N E R.
How do I look? | Like a HERO
~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP

Last edited by Burning Up A Sun; 07-24-2009 at 09:14 AM
Burning Up A Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Up A Sun (View Post)
Oh I didn't know we had this thread.

North and South has quickly become my favorite period movie/mini-series and John/Margaret are my favorite couple. (I can't believe they knocked out Darcy/Elizabeth. ) The mini-series is amazing and everyone that hasn't seen it really should. The dynamic between John and Margaret is just brilliant, the train scene at the end is my all time favorite for any period drama,... Richard and Daniela have amazing chemistry and you really feel what they're feeling. The other characters are really wonderful too like Higgins and Bessie and Mr. Bell. I just bought the book, haven't gotten to read it yet, but I'm sure I'll love it just as much if not more so than the series.
Okay, I'm sold. I'm gonna try to see it this weekend.

Quote:
I've seen Emma and Sense and Sensibility, the newer versions, and I like both but idk they just aren't favorites of mine. I've read the books as well but I can't remember too much about them. I might have to do a reread.
When you say newer versions, are there more recent versions then those of 1995 and 1996? If so, then I'll definitely have to check out the one for Emma because the Gwyneth Paltrow version didn't leave me that much impressed (even though it's a good story on paper).

Quote:
Out of Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, and Persuasion I've only seen the Mansfield Park version with Billie Piper as Fanny and um... yeah. I love Billie but I wasn't a fan of the other actors in the movie aside from her and the one that played Edmund. That being said I do own it and watch it quite often... I love the story and it's done well.
Yeah, I was going through a thread about the Masterpiece Theatre productions and came across not so good reviews of the Mansfield Park version with Billie Piper in it.

Quote:
As for Jane Eyre, I've never read the book although I really need to. I recently watched part of the 2006 version and it was really good, need to find a link to watch the rest of it online though. I can definitely see Jane and Mr. Rochester becoming one of my favorite book and period drama couples.
I think that someone put up the entire mini-series on YouTube if you want to watch it or you can find it on DVD too. That's how I found it.

Quote:
Btw, I know it's not a period drama but has anyone seen The Jane Austen Book Club? Or read it. I think it does very well incorporating Jane Austen's couples to real life but still talking about them as they were written by her.
I vaguely heard of this movie but I haven't had the chance to check it out yet. I'll be sure to do a review when I see it.

I've also heard of a UK mini-series called Lost in Austen that has a bit of fun with the Pride & Prejudice characters. Is it any good?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathangel (View Post)
Okay, I'm sold. I'm gonna try to see it this weekend.
Very excited. You have to report back here once you do see it. I promise you you will love it, especially if you love Pride and Prejudice. I dare you not to fall in love with Mr. Thornton.

Quote:
When you say newer versions, are there more recent versions then those of 1995 and 1996? If so, then I'll definitely have to check out the one for Emma because the Gwyneth Paltrow version didn't leave me that much impressed (even though it's a good story on paper).
Oh I meant the 1995 and 1996 versions. There is a newer version of Sense and Sensibility from what I've seen. Sense and Sensibility (2008) Don't know how good that is or where it's available. Gwyneth Paltrow's Emma was okay... I'm not a huge fan of that story anyway but I just wasn't feeling the movie.

Quote:
Yeah, I was going through a thread about the Masterpiece Theatre productions and came across not so good reviews of the Mansfield Park version with Billie Piper in it.
The only reason I saw it was because of Billie to be honest. I haven't read the book but a lot of people said she wasn't right for Fanny and that a lot of the other characters were wrong too. I'm sure if I read the book I would agree, but it wasn't a horrible movie. I would pick another version of the story though.

Quote:
I think that someone put up the entire mini-series on YouTube if you want to watch it or you can find it on DVD too. That's how I found it.
Yeah I just went through this thread and saw that someone had said that it was on YT. I was watching it from Surfthechannel and it kept overheating my computer so I stopped. I'll have to check it out on YT. I need to finish it.

Quote:
I vaguely heard of this movie but I haven't had the chance to check it out yet. I'll be sure to do a review when I see it.
It's really good imo. It has a great cast, Hugh Dancy... if you like him along with Amy Brenneman, Maria Bello, Emily Blunt, and Jimmy Smitts among others. I thought the stories were pretty good and it did include a lot of Austen.

Quote:
I've also heard of a UK mini-series called Lost in Austen that has a bit of fun with the Pride & Prejudice characters. Is it any good?
I've heard of that too. Haven't seen it but I'm curious to see how it's done and what it's really about. I might have to check it out soon as well.

~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Old 07-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

i just saw pride and porejeduce

elizabeth and darcy
The Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Fan

Aww, Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy are love.

I've always loved Jane and Mr. Bingley too.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Master Fan

I have a soft spot for period drama, they were all I watch growing up. Emma was my first Jane Austen, I just loved the costumes and the behavior of the men. I think Gilbert was my first crush of a film character.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Fan

Has anybody seen the new BBC series of Emma? I did and although I don't have a definitive version of Emma that I can say is my favorite (except its modern rendition, Clueless ), I quite liked it.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Master Fan

I love Anne/Gilbert. Do any couples from Little Women count?
Bella Grint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Fan

Yes, any couple that is not from the present era counts.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathangel (View Post)
Has anybody seen the new BBC series of Emma? I did and although I don't have a definitive version of Emma that I can say is my favorite (except its modern rendition, Clueless ), I quite liked it.
Oh that one was with Romola Garai right? Love her and really want to watch that version. Need to find it online. So it was better than Paltrow's?

~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Reply   Post New Thread