Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherra (View Post)
I don't think she didn't give him an answer because she didn't love him enough. For one thing, as silverduck2day has pointed out, there's her big Pamuk secret which has been weighing on her from the moment he proposed, even if it wasn't very clear in ep. 7 because it took a backseat to her mother's pregnancy and her confrontation with Edith. But even setting that aside, I don't blame her for having doubts about whether she'd be happy stripped of a lifestyle she’d been raised to expect for herself. I’d rather she have doubts and question herself than blindly walk into the marriage only to grow unhappy with the cold dose of reality. I don't believe having such doubts means she loves him any less. And I don't think it rules out the possibility she could have overcome those doubts eventually and made a choice she could accept and live with. I don't think it was wrong of her to want some time and space to think about a life different from what she'd been groomed to expect from the day she was born. That doesn't mean I blame Matthew either for his inability to give her what she wanted, to trust her to make the right choice eventually, because I realize he was struggling with his own insecurities, his fear that she might not love him as much as he did, because he was the one who fell in love first and he had to wait for her to reciprocate his feelings.
Well, I understand that she would have doubts, but I still think she didn't have those before she talked with that other cousin... We saw in the beginning of the show how having this money was important to her and I get why she wouldn't let it go that easily. That said, I still think she did a mistake there and didn't realize how much she loved Matthew. Matthew's mistake was to think that suddenly she agreed to marry him again because her future brother was dead. Mary's mistake was to think that she wouldn't be able to live with Matthew if she didn't have all the space she had now to live in. I'm not saying I dislike her for doubting, it could happen to every human being, that said, if for example Sybil was the one engaged to Matthew she would have never hesitated to say yes, it would have never been a problem eventhough she lives now in a castle. That's why a part of me rather likes to think that this Mr Pamuk story is what made Mary hesitate so much more than the money and that only after that argument did she realize how much she loved him "So I ruined everything?"
Thanks to Jade for the icon!!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Loyal Fan

Thanks a lot for the nice welcome, ladies

The whole dynamic between Mary and Matthew was funny even before I started thinking she might return his crush at some point.

One of my favorite scenes between them is when they first met. His face was great.

It would be interesting to see how he will react to the Pamuk secret. The World War will change a lot of perceptions and perhaps so many things will happen that it will seem trivial at some point.

Tried to open a thread, but it's apparently not allowed:

http://www.fanforum.com/f40/downton-.../#post58136819
Hate: Animal Cruelty
Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Loyal Fan

Hmmm, odd that the thread wasn't allowed. Oh well, maybe something will be allowed soon. The new series has now been officially confirmed by ITV to start on the 18th September, just over 2 weeks away! YAY!!! Cannot wait!!

I too love Mary and Matthew's first meeting. Matthew is so funny in his almost cartoon like attraction to Mary - you can almost see his jaw dropping to the floor and his eyes popping out ala Roger Rabbit.

As for Mary's hesistation. I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and I think she actually was still going to accept Matthew when she came back from London. I think her Aunt's words just threw her into confusion and made her hesitate more.

I think her confusion was partly based on Matthew not inheriting and her possibly having a very different life to the one she's used too, but mainly because she's afraid to tell him about Pamuk. The fact that she already waited to accept him for a bit (after she told her mother she loved him) was because of Pamuk (and also Mary's stubborness to not do what people want of her and her own confusion about marriage) and then Cora's pregnancy and her aunt's words just made it all so much more confusing to her.
Others - Snow White/Charming (OUAT), Amy/Rory (Dr Who), Arthur/Gwen (Merlin), Ron/Hermione (Harry Potter), Darcy/Elizabeth (Pride & Prejudice), John/Margaret (North and South) & Chandler/Monica (Friends).
Silver's/Laura's fanfic and LJ.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Master Fan

I agree, I loved the first scene too, it was fun because obviously Matthew never thought this would be what Mary would look like

Vanora, to open a new board, you have to make a request for it first in the request board. If Downton Abbey gets a lot of votes then, you'll be able to open the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverduck2day (View Post)
As for Mary's hesistation. I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and I think she actually was still going to accept Matthew when she came back from London. I think her Aunt's words just threw her into confusion and made her hesitate more.

I think her confusion was partly based on Matthew not inheriting and her possibly having a very different life to the one she's used too, but mainly because she's afraid to tell him about Pamuk. The fact that she already waited to accept him for a bit (after she told her mother she loved him) was because of Pamuk (and also Mary's stubborness to not do what people want of her and her own confusion about marriage) and then Cora's pregnancy and her aunt's words just made it all so much more confusing to her.
I also think that's what happened with Mary, I think she got lost with all this Pamuk story, plus having a brother maybe and not knowing how her and Matthew would have to live. I still think that she didn't know how to tell him about Pamuk and it was the hardest thing for her

EDIT: found it! She did the same jaw dropping though

Old 09-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaSparrow (View Post)

EDIT: found it! She did the same jaw dropping though

Definitely! Matthew isn't at all what Mary thought he'd be either! So starts her denial to her attraction to Matthew (that's my theory anyway!)
Others - Snow White/Charming (OUAT), Amy/Rory (Dr Who), Arthur/Gwen (Merlin), Ron/Hermione (Harry Potter), Darcy/Elizabeth (Pride & Prejudice), John/Margaret (North and South) & Chandler/Monica (Friends).
Old 09-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Loyal Fan

Sorry for the double post, but here's a link to some pictures from the first episode of series 2 of Downton Abbey. Photo Archive | Episode 2.01

It does contain spoilers. Oh and ITV have started showing the new series 2 trailer today, so hopefully a version will appear on YouTube soon.

Only 15 days to go til it starts!!
Old 09-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Master Fan

I watched the promo!! I am so excited for next series. The new episode needs to come already. I am ready for the angst (even though I hope they have some happy moments as well!)
Old 09-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlgreenie (View Post)
I watched the promo!! I am so excited for next series. The new episode needs to come already. I am ready for the angst (even though I hope they have some happy moments as well!)
There are a couple of trailers I saw, but the only one with any Mary and Matthew in is this one. The quality isn't marvellous, as someone recorded it off their TV!!!

Under 15 days to go!!! No idea how I'll survive between each week when it's on though...

Edit to add - here's another one, but there's no M/M in this one. I think there's 3, but these are the only 2 I have so far seen.

Last edited by silverduck2day; 09-03-2011 at 04:44 PM
Old 09-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Loyal Fan

Sorry for another double postt, but just found a good quality trailer on YouTube, which is here - Downton Abbey - Series 2 promo - YouTube
Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Master Fan

I love these two, could I be added?

source
StefanღElena | SnowღCharming | ElevenღAmy | WadeღZoe | DanღSerena |FinnღRachel
| tumblr
Old 09-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neda16 (View Post)
I love these two, could I be added?
Hi Neda. Welcome to the thread. We're growing so much lately, it's great!

Thanks for the gif. I love that scene in the new trailer. There's clearly going to be lots of Mary/Matthew goodness in the new series. Think it's going to be very much an emotional rollercoaster ride for them, and us fans!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Elite Fan

So funny story. I was looking at this thread at random and thought I recognized the guy who plays Matthew. I racked my brain trying to figure out how I knew him only to realize he was Edward Ferrars in the 2008 Sense & Sensibility. And all of a sudden, I'm interested. Only problem is I don't know of any place to watch this. Suggestions? Now, I can't promise I'll like it, but I'd like to give it a shot, if not because Silver likes it, but I do love period pieces, as well.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbat (View Post)
So funny story. I was looking at this thread at random and thought I recognized the guy who plays Matthew. I racked my brain trying to figure out how I knew him only to realize he was Edward Ferrars in the 2008 Sense & Sensibility. And all of a sudden, I'm interested. Only problem is I don't know of any place to watch this. Suggestions? Now, I can't promise I'll like it, but I'd like to give it a shot, if not because Silver likes it, but I do love period pieces, as well.
Hi Amy

Yep, the not too hard on the eye Matthew Crawley is played by Dan Stevens who also plays Edward Ferrars. He's far better in Downton Abbey too, IMO.

I know they have Downton Abbey on netflix, but I also think maybe amazon? I definitely recommend watching it, it's absolutely brilliant! It's been a massive success here in the UK and in other countries and even fans who don't usually like period dramas love Downton Abbey.

I really hope you find a way to watch it, it's so super duper awesome cool (and my all time favourite period drama, and I've watched and loved a lot!)
Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbat (View Post)
Well, I absolutely LOVED Sens & Sensibility eventhough I wish Edward had more lines

Welcome girls

OMG!!! The new promo And Edith seems to have a new love interest as well

And that kiss!!!! shkjlfri It looks like she's so sad that he's leaving for the battle, she doesn't want him to fight

Silver, Mary was totally in denial from the beginning
Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Loyal Fan

Yes, the promo is so exciting! There's now a good quality minute long version on YouTube here.

I've been making some graphics from this trailer and the episode 1 screen shots on my tumblr, but here's one for you:

Closed Thread   Post New Thread