Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

That's good.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 04-21-2018, 07:53 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Waves (View Post)
I’m torn on this. I love Gina and Brett scenes always...but at the same time if they are going to ruin JM’s love story just to prop JR I’m not here for it. Michael was always her first choice, her first everything. And they cemented that pretty well just to potentially ruin it all now?
Yeah, this is what bugs me about all of this and why I'm still not planning to go back to the show. Every interview I've read about this from Jennie has a JR slant to it. It's clear he's only back so Jane can choose Rafael over him and alleviate his biggest fear over being the second choice. Never mind the fact that he never would've had that shot at all had Michael not been out of the picture for years so it doesn't really count, but hey, whatever helps him sleep at night I guess .

What gets me most of all about this scenario occurring is that there's no way they're going to be able to do it without ruining Jane and Michael's beautiful love story and what it represented to so many people watching. No matter how it's done, it's going to look like their whole story was meaningless and just an obstacle to the ultimate ending. When the news first came out about Michael dying, I ranted on here about how cheap it was for him to die to pave the way for another ship. Over time (and as I grew apart from this show; I quit over S3's winter hiatus when the news was leaked) I sadly realized this was the best way to do it, if only because both pairings had a special journey and ending. Now by doing this, one of those journeys and endings (likely JM's, let's be real) are going to be torn down, ruined, and invalidated all to prop and validate another ship. It's downright cruel and heartless to do that to fans, and for Michael fans, so much more. We already had our hearts ripped out when he died. Watching his wife and love of his life choose another man over him (after he likely went through hell) and marry him at the end of the show is honestly much worse. And how good is a ship really, if you have to downgrade everything else to make it superior?

I love Gina and Brett, they're magical on the screen as Jane and Michael. I'll watch their scenes on YouTube next season, because I know no matter the outcome, they will do JM as much justice as they're able to. But the rest of this show won't get my attention until the end of the series and that's only if they manage to surprise me. Jennie did mention that Michael's return wasn't planned, which was shocking. She was so dead set on her original plan that even when things began to change course and JM became so loved by fans and media, she killed Michael off (albeit later than planned). She's been saying for years that she had the ending planned out. Why now is she introducing an unplanned element? The JM fan in me so desperately wants to believe that she realized killing Michael off was wrong and that he and Jane are the ultimate power couple that can't even be torn apart by death or amnesia (a story where Michael ends up with amnesia and Jane has to help him remember who he is and their love story while they fall in love all over again is something I'd completely be all in for). The reality however is that the cast loves Brett and Jennie knows the fans love him, so she'll bring him back to get people to watch, bait the JM fans with some cute moments, and still end it as planned. The line about Michael loving Jane until his last breath is going to mean what I always thought it would back in season 1: he will love her from afar the rest of his life while she marries Rafael and spends the rest of her life with him. How utterly depressing.
Andrea ღ|Icon: mine
Old 04-22-2018, 05:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I was so.angry when killed Michael and with raf saying he feels like sounding choice was exactly why killing him is a mistake. However, I was neutral to raf and I was okay with their story as long as jm remained in the past. Now bringing them back if it's really Michael and not some minion I am scared their going to ruin Michaels character and jm
Old 04-22-2018, 06:55 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscgirl99 (View Post)
Yeah, this is what bugs me about all of this and why I'm still not planning to go back to the show. Every interview I've read about this from Jennie has a JR slant to it. It's clear he's only back so Jane can choose Rafael over him and alleviate his biggest fear over being the second choice. Never mind the fact that he never would've had that shot at all had Michael not been out of the picture for years so it doesn't really count, but hey, whatever helps him sleep at night I guess .
You said it better than I ever could. I think you hit the nail on the head with, she had the ending planned from the beginning. Every time I hear that, it never ends well. I don't think I will ever recover from HIMYM. Years later, and I am still pissed. Like you, I quit watching and may watch their scenes on Youtube or something. I used to stick with shows, after the quality declined or I stopped liking it. No more. Life is too short. I also think this is a last ditch effort to save an ailing show. Have you seen the ratings? It's really sad, even for the CW.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well it is ending next season but I can see them wanting to get people to tune in
Old 04-22-2018, 02:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

The thing I am excited about which (from my soap days usually happens)...

Jane and Michael are still technically married no?

Jennie keeps saying she has one more trope to use. Is it going to be the amnesia trope? That Michael actually can't remember Jane/their life together?

EDIT:

X

Last edited by Static Waves; 04-22-2018 at 05:49 PM
Old 04-22-2018, 09:56 PM
Master Fan

The fact that we have new content for gifs, videos and the like now makes me so giddy . Like at the very least, we can look forward to that.

Quote:
The thing I am excited about which (from my soap days usually happens)...

Jane and Michael are still technically married no?

Jennie keeps saying she has one more trope to use. Is it going to be the amnesia trope? That Michael actually can't remember Jane/their life together?
Technically yes, they would still be married I think, which would be interesting, especially if Michael had amnesia (and I think that's the other trope they'll use because apparently amnesia was mentioned a lot this season? It could be foreshadowing). Maybe Jane goes back to him due to her Catholic beliefs and obligation to help him get his memory back at first, and (this is when my JM love kicks in and speculates to their benefit ) she's torn because she's grown to love Rafael in a way that she hadn't in the past. But the more time she spends with Michael, helping him to remember who he is and their story together, they begin to fall in love all over again. Then when Michael remembers who he is and what has happened, he lets Jane go because he doesn't think he deserves her after being gone so long and doesn't want her to be stuck with him when she's moved on. Now Jane is free to go back to Rafael and she does, but something doesn't feel right, because as much as she might love him, he's not Michael, the one who still has her heart after so many years. Then the series ends with them renewing their wedding vows and the same montage we saw in 3x01.

And yeah, all of that will never happen because, just see below . But I do think amnesia will play a role in all of this, especially because Jennie has said Michael didn't fake his death (and thank God for that at least because could you imagine everyone ripping into him? Plus he'd never do that to Jane and Mateo). Amnesia/kidnapping are the only real options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatB (View Post)
You said it better than I ever could. I think you hit the nail on the head with, she had the ending planned from the beginning. Every time I hear that, it never ends well. I don't think I will ever recover from HIMYM. Years later, and I am still pissed. Like you, I quit watching and may watch their scenes on Youtube or something. I used to stick with shows, after the quality declined or I stopped liking it. No more. Life is too short. I also think this is a last ditch effort to save an ailing show. Have you seen the ratings? It's really sad, even for the CW.
Yeah you're right, it never does end well. As a writer myself in my spare time, I can understand wanting to stick to the ending you created, but very often, stories write themselves, especially on TV when you see who works well together. Jane and Michael clearly weren't the plan, but they kept writing more for them because they worked well together onscreen and people were eating it up. The logical choice should've been to keep going with it and adapt to it in the writing. Instead, Jennie insisted going forward with killing Michael, much later than planned, which herein lies the problem. She wanted to have her cake and eat it too, resulting in the hot mess this show turned into. Either they should've killed Michael when they wanted to, or turned the story on its head completely. Now depending on how this shakes out, it's going to be an even bigger mess. There's no way she's going to change her planned ending if she couldn't even change the middle. So now you have Michael back and getting people's hopes up just to crap on them. JM's story shouldn't be reduced to a footnote, nor should fans be punished for liking something the writers created just because they wrote themselves into a corner. It's not fair, but it's happened with HIMYM (which I never even watched, but really, what kind of ending was that?) and it will happen here too.

Yes, I've seen the ratings for some episodes since I quit watching. They were abysmal even for CW standards and then of course there was the move to Friday night, which is never good. Funny that all of that happened after Michael died, and so now for the final season, they want viewers and in Jennie's mind, what better way to do it than by baiting Michael/JM fans?

I was much like you, sticking with shows I didn't like anymore out of loyalty (hello Gossip Girl) but after I quit this show, (which was genuinely hard for me as I liked everything about it until the Michael news came out), I also realized life was too short to spend time watching things that didn't make me happy anymore. I began to do it with others and it's made watching TV much easier on myself .
Andrea ღ|Icon: mine
Old 04-23-2018, 03:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

If I didn’t know Jennie’s overarching plan was to put JR together (I really hope she proves me wrong on that but still)...bringing back someone with amnesia is almost always a sure way to ensure that they get a storyline where they ~fall back in love even though that person doesn’t have all their memories back. It’s like the oldest soap trick in the book for romance/angst.

The insistence on JR absolutely reminds me of Ted/Robin. You need to be able to change your end vision as a show runner and adapt to what is working.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:11 AM
New Fan

Yup, totally agree with you guys about writers who are so hell-bent on their original endings that they refuse to change, even though so much of the story in the middle has changed and they didn't account for factors, such as chemistry and character development, when envisioning the ending. It's like Dawson's Creek - Joey was always supposed to end up with Dawson, but when they got to the end, with the chemistry, the characters' development, the events that had happened in the many years, it didn't make sense so they changed it. And it was a much better ending than HIMYM or Gilmore Girls, in which the writers were too stubborn and arrogant to change.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree sometimes the original vision doesn't work and you need to adapt
Old 04-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer124 (View Post)
Yup, totally agree with you guys about writers who are so hell-bent on their original endings that they refuse to change, even though so much of the story in the middle has changed and they didn't account for factors, such as chemistry and character development, when envisioning the ending. It's like Dawson's Creek - Joey was always supposed to end up with Dawson, but when they got to the end, with the chemistry, the characters' development, the events that had happened in the many years, it didn't make sense so they changed it. And it was a much better ending than HIMYM or Gilmore Girls, in which the writers were too stubborn and arrogant to change.
I agree. I was thinking about Dawson's as well. And what I so great about that is that the creator left the show but came back to write the finale. So he could have pulled a Craig and Carter (HIMYM) and wrote it to end how he originally intended but he knew, the show and story wanted to go elsewhere. I applaud him for that. TBH, I wasn't found of Gilmore's ending either, but Rory was a hot mess during the whole revival so it made sense. I just watched for everyone else. Kinda like the series.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well on Gilmore girls I think asp mostly wanted Rory a single mom and things were kind of messed up
Old 04-23-2018, 03:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
Well on Gilmore girls I think asp mostly wanted Rory a single mom and things were kind of messed up
Oh, I am sure. She wanted it to go full circle, I think. But I don't think it worked. That said, if they make more, I will watch. Lauren is so awesome, and I am still super bummed that her pilot didn't get picked up.

I really miss Jane and Micheal. For me the show ends the episode before he "died". I loved seeing them married and building their life together.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:57 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
Yeah, I think ASP's goal with the whole thing was to bring it full circle with Rory getting knocked up by the rich guy she loved (Logan/Chris), who wasn't going to step up and be the father she needed for her child, and eventually finding love with the good, down-to-earth, best friend type of guy who always loved her (Jess/Luke). I don't hate that concept, I just think it was executed terribly (and would have been even worse if Rory was a single mom at 22, if ASP had originally done the finale back then). I'd totally watch if she did a new season (and then would complain my heart out, haha) though.

I'm curious how they approach this final season. JTV stopped being one of my favorite shows back when Michael died - I just thought that the show's writing really dropped in quality and the cast's chemistry seemed off with Brett gone - so I'm happy to have a reason to watch. At this point, I'm just assuming Michael will have amnesia, Jane will realize she doesn't love the new Michael, and she'll marry Raf, so it's going to be hard for the show to disappoint me.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I am R/L fan so I assent down with the parrallel so I am okay with gg being a open ending although would still watch more revival

Back to jm I also they'll go the amnesia route
Closed Thread   Post New Thread