Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Elite Fan

^ I disagree with the last part of what you said. LP were never like BL, even at their worst. But I understand why you loathe s5 and see it that way. I just don't, despite my distaste for some of the scenes/storylines that season. LP still managed to have very poignant scenes and I understood where they both came from, even if I thought it was OOC for LP to be that estranged from each other after s4. Unlike s2, I could see why LP were so far apart from each other in s5. The writers actually explained/showed a lot of their motivations. Until 513 that is. I just don't get where Lucas' head was at after Lindsey left him at the altar. Why he continued to purse her after that still baffles me. And the "I hate you" was just unnecessary on so many levels. I love their last scene of the season but the IHY still really hurts. It was just so out of character for Lucas to say that her.

Nic | avi by crisbr
wistfuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Elite Fan

I think maybe I went too far with comparing LP to BL, it has to be my season 5 hate taking over me I'll try to explain what I mean here. I always viewed LP as a relationship based on "I'll never cut you out of my life", based on the two of them being perfect for each other to the point where they were even scared of it and that's why it took them time to get together. They were never cought in pointless dramas regarding the way they feel about each other, everything they had to face came from outside forces because when it came to their relationship itself, whether it was friendship or romance, it was never a question that they were it for each other and that they were never going to give up on each other. And then we have season 5 that basically contradicts everything that we saw of them before. Literally. Starting from the fact that they could cut each other out of their lives so easily, just because Peyton was not ready to get married at such an early age (I just don't get nor do I accept that in any shape or form. Not after what they went through they would give up on each other so easily after the proposal fiasco. Had they acted in character, Lucas would have waited for as long as needed, yes, he would have been upset, but completely giving up on Peyton, just leaving her there and cutting her out was so absolutely NOT something that fit their story that I feel like I can shout in horror for my whole life and it still wouldn't be enough lol), continuing with Peyton falling "in love" with Julian out of a blue even though we knew her love for Lucas was so strong that she couldn't even fully love Jake because of it (and unlike with Julian, she actually had some build up when it comes to her relationship with Jake, even though personally I prefer Peyton/Julian to Jeyton) and finally finishing Lucas coming up with all the "I hate you" sort of stuff. It was so out of character and so didn't fit what we saw with LP during earlier seasons that I just can't help but see some relation to BL there because in order to prop BL so many pointless dramas were forced on them and basically anything could tear them apart because Lucas was willing to cut Brooke out so easily while always holding on to Peyton. I agreewith you that when it comes to season 5 LP at least the motivation was offered and explained, but maybe the thing for me is that I did not buy that motivation or accept it.

I may sound like a bad fan here, but I think if I hadn't loved LP the way I do I wouldn't have raged so much about season 5. I think a lot of negative things about season 5 Naley as well and hate their storyline there too/find it OOC, so I think my hate for season 5 goes many many ways

At least we had season 6 where writers managed to make up for all that and my only regret about S6 was Brooke's development being undone, but that's another story...

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
mary ksand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Elite Fan

I think them being estranged and cutting each other out of their lives made sense. Sometimes the couples that are least likely to do that...end up doing it because they are the least likely to. Lucas was so hurt after Peyton rejected him and felt he had to do everything he could if he was every going to get over her...therefore he had to do the one thing, the farthest thing, that he could think of to put an end to him and Peyton as a couple so that he wouldn't be hoping they could be a couple someday...cutting her out of his life. It was extreme and OOC and that's exactly why he did it...otherwise he would have found himself still missing her terribly, otherwise it would've been "I don't know what to do without her" moment in repeat forever I thought it was very realistic. It's hard for regular couples to let go of eachother, which means it was that much more impossible for Lucas to let go of her, which means he had to work that much harder and think that much more out of the box to let her go.

...and in the end he still wasn't able to which just goes to show why he needed to go that far as saying "I do" in the first place.
how forever feels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Elite Fan

But I feel like the reason given for him doing this exteme and OOC thing was not believable or convincing, I just don't see Lucas giving up on Peyton and cutting her out because she was not ready to get married. It fits nothing of what we saw from their story previously and what they've been through. Their love battled death in season 4 and in season 5 it couldn't battle the proposal fiasco? I just simply didn't buy it.

But oh well, season 5 is thankfully over, so lets remember happy times

source

Old 03-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Elite Fan

I think it's because he was so lonely, and he watched N/H and Jamie have each other and as much as they told him he was part of their family too, it just wasn't the same. When Nathan won that game and Lucas had the flashback of 409, it really highlighted how much he missed having his own companion. And he tried to ask Peyton if he could move to L.A. or if she would move to TH but she didn't allow him to do either. So eventually he had to let go of Peyton and find someone that could be his companion. When you think about how Lucas had always for the most part had a girlfriend for the past 2 years before that after-high school time period, it's understandable why he was unhappy living without the girl he was dating and needed someone to literally be with him. That I think goes back to his abandonment issues.

Love that gif
Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Elite Fan

It's just that he proved to want Peyton and no one else in season 4 and it seemed unconvincing for him to suddenly choose stability over her and prefer to completely let go of her instead of waiting for her. Idk... maybe I just dislike season 5 and that storyline so much that it doesn't let me see the logic there. But that's just me.

Anyway, I watched two season 1 LP vids today (on my other computer obviously, since this one is such a pain...) and remembered how much I loved the pilot and LP in it

Old 03-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Elite Fan

I think there are valid arguments for each side of this debate. Although s5 isn't my favorite season for LP, it's part of their story so I accept it for what it is, flaws and all. It could've been worse than it was. At least LP had a legitimate reason to breakup and it didn't involve somebody else. I'm grateful for that at least. And I'm really glad that LP were still a central theme in s5, the writers could've easily pushed them aside in favor of LL or BL or some other ship. It wasn't always perfectly executed but it was clear that LP would never "get past" each other, no matter who they were with or how many hurt feelings there were.

Love that gif from 409. "It's perfect."

Nic | avi by crisbr
Old 03-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Elite Fan

What is your favourite season for LP? I think for me it is tied between season 1 and 4. Season 1 is the season that made me fall in love with them, that showed why they were so perfect for each other and how they could connect on a special level. But season 4 showed the real strength of their love and seeing them so happy made my heart melt.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Elite Fan

That's one of my favorite L/P vids...shows their story in such a happy way.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ksand (View Post)
What is your favourite season for LP?
For me, it's a tie between s1 and s3. Although I adore s4 LP to pieces, I have a soft spot for s3 since LP's story that season is what really drew me into the show. I dislike s3 as a whole, but LP had so many great, layered scenes that season. I love LP in s1 for the obvious, usual reasons but s3 added more depth to their pre-existing relationship. They became friends but they were still more than that. That was the season that established that Lucas would always be there for her, regardless of who he was with. "I love being that guy for you." I love that Lucas helped her through the Ellie stuff. I just wish we had seen Peyton help him with his grief over Keith's death. That would've led them full circle.

Nic | avi by crisbr
Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfuldreamer (View Post)
For me, it's a tie between s1 and s3. Although I adore s4 LP to pieces, I have a soft spot for s3 since LP's story that season is what really drew me into the show. I dislike s3 as a whole, but LP had so many great, layered scenes that season. I love LP in s1 for the obvious, usual reasons but s3 added more depth to their pre-existing relationship. They became friends but they were still more than that. That was the season that established that Lucas would always be there for her, regardless of who he was with. "I love being that guy for you." I love that Lucas helped her through the Ellie stuff. I just wish we had seen Peyton help him with his grief over Keith's death. That would've led them full circle.
Yeah I feel the same way except that I really love season 3 in general, mostly because of my other OTP Naley (Brucas stuff did annoy the hell out of me though. I was wondering did they even see how contrived and cheesy they were? I mean, most of the BL scenes that were supposed to be romantic such as 82 (!) letters, non exclusive dating, Brooke sleeping with Chris, Brooke rushing out of the house in the middle of storm actually seemed not romantic but utterly creepy to me). I think season 1 set things up so effectively for LP, showing why they are right for each other and how they could understand each other when others cannot, but season 3 added layers to their relationship, showed how Lucas would never cut her out of his life and would always be there to help Peyton, even though I might have issues with how BL stuff got in a way of logic and sense, like in that scene where BROOKE had to give Luke a permission to come and to comfort Peyton after her mom died Ugh, I hated that episode except Peyton/Ellie stuff.

So yeah, I agree, for me it's also season 1 and 3, and season 4 of course because it was great to see them happy and while it might seem cheesy at some points, that was the kind of cheese both of them needed after going through so much.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

beautiful vid.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
and season 4 of course because it was great to see them happy and while it might seem cheesy at some points, that was the kind of cheese both of them needed after going through so much.
s4 did have some cheese but it was well-deserved cheese as you said. It actually makes me giddy to see them so utterly happy with each other. The spin-kiss was probably one of my biggest fangirl moments with this ship. "We've waited long enough." There were very few moments that I thought were over the top cheesy, the rest was pretty in line with how happy couples act, especially in the beginning. I guess a lot of people just felt like LP should brood together and listen to music/push at each other. We got so much of that with s1-s3, that I was through with it by the time LP got together.

Nic | avi by crisbr
Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfuldreamer (View Post)
s4 did have some cheese but it was well-deserved cheese as you said. It actually makes me giddy to see them so utterly happy with each other. The spin-kiss was probably one of my biggest fangirl moments with this ship. "We've waited long enough." There were very few moments that I thought were over the top cheesy, the rest was pretty in line with how happy couples act, especially in the beginning. I guess a lot of people just felt like LP should brood together and listen to music/push at each other. We got so much of that with s1-s3, that I was through with it by the time LP got together.
Yeah, I didn't really think they were over the top cheesy, it was the sort of cheese that OTH gladly likes to give to their other couples and in LP case they waited for so long to just be together and be happy that I accepted every bit of that cheese with pleasure And you're right, there was enough angst in their relationship during the earlier seasons so it was logical and fair for them to just have an a bit silly, careless and happy time together without thinking about anything else and without having to carry the weight of the world on their shoulders.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Total Fan

Hi can i be added to the thread.