Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug579
We decided on Woodson for the last name and I think we have a clear enough picture of the character to be able to give her a first name. Here's the list of names that have been suggested. Feel free to discuss the options or put in a vote for your favorite.

Possible names for Charisma’s character:
Lindsay
Christine
Lauren
Gloria
Gabrielle
Eva
Taryn
Samantha
Catherine
Elizabeth
Personally, I like Lauren and Christine or maybe even Taryn or Carrington. And just because I'm crazy and obsessed, I looked each one of the names up to see just exactly what they did mean. So here's that list:

Lindsay: pool island; linden island
Christine: Christ-bearer
Lauren: Crowned with Laurel
Gloria: glory; Give praise with grace
Gabrielle: God is my strength
Eva: life
Taryn: queen
Samantha: listens well
Catherine: pure
Elizabeth: Consecrated to God; God's Oath
Carrington: beautiful
Rachel: little lamb, an ewe, one with purity

* I used shutterbug's name too. Rachel would be a good name for Charisma. I could see her playing a Rachel.

Quote:
TV Guide promos never even occured to me but I love the idea. Are you thinking of something along the lines of the See Jane Date promo where Charisma is holding the flower and all the dates are lined up below to advertise the show or promos like they do to promote individual episodes?
Yeah, something like that. I'm writing a fantasy Season 6 of Angel right now where Cordelia and Fred are back in it and have made a promo for each episode. The album for that is here.

Oh, and question: Do we have any kind of idea what the name of this show is going to be called?

beautiful creatures
Old 08-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the list of meanings. They're pretty interesting. Elizabeth is my favorite. I could see her as a Beth with her family calling her something like Bitsy.

I don't really have any ideas about a show title yet. We have enough of the premise decided to start throwing out ideas, though. Anyone have any?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:06 AM
Extreme Fan

er well hmmmmm erm lol er i dunno. im gonna go have a think lol

The season 6 of angel sounds interesting
av credit-paintedxlie
Old 08-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Master Fan

She's a novelist so some kind of play on words could work. Are there any word-related expressions that we could tweak to use? My mind is blank at the moment.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Extreme Fan

lol me 2!
av credit-paintedxlie
Old 08-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

As a writer myself, a lot of people tell me to "write what I know", or "the best stories come from who you are." I really don't think that those would make great show titles or anything, but I can kind of imagine for the pilot or something like that, Charisma narrating/doing a voiceover with writer's puns in it ala Sex and the City type thing.

beautiful creatures
Old 08-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Master Fan

I like the idea of the voiceover, probably due to watching so much Veronica Mars lately. I wouldn't want to overdo it so maybe we should limit it to one or two per episode. In my mind, the final shot of the pilot is Charisma sitting in a treehouse or tent with her laptop, a juice box, and a pack of fruit gummys shaped like cartoon characters. A voiceover would work well there to recap and fade to credits.

As far as titles go, here's what I've come up with so far.
How Novel
Ms. Write
By the Book
Around the Block - a play on "writer's block"

We need a pickup point for the series. What if the character realizes that she's not where she expected to be at this point in her life? Maybe she turns 30 or her little sister gets married before she does or she finds out a former immature boyfriend is now a devoted husband and father of two. She could decide to stop playing it safe so she quits her job to pursue her writing full-time. Having just quit would be a better explanation for her being able to afford living expenses than if she'd been writing full-time for awhile. It would also add another aspect to the series because she'd be trying to write a successful novel before her savings runs out, trying to beat the clock so to speak. This scenario would give us the chance to provide the necessary exposition to set up the characters and series without breaking up the flow of the story. It would also provide some internal conflict for the character to go with the external conflicts with her family and editor. Any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:07 AM
Extreme Fan

i like by the book!

i like all them stories maybe we can put most of them in!
av credit-paintedxlie
Old 08-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
As far as titles go, here's what I've come up with so far.
How Novel
Ms. Write
By the Book - I like these ones

Around the Block - a play on "writer's block"

We need a pickup point for the series. What if the character realizes that she's not where she expected to be at this point in her life? Maybe she turns 30 or her little sister gets married before she does or she finds out a former immature boyfriend is now a devoted husband and father of two. She could decide to stop playing it safe so she quits her job to pursue her writing full-time. Having just quit would be a better explanation for her being able to afford living expenses than if she'd been writing full-time for awhile. It would also add another aspect to the series because she'd be trying to write a successful novel before her savings runs out, trying to beat the clock so to speak. This scenario would give us the chance to provide the necessary exposition to set up the characters and series without breaking up the flow of the story. It would also provide some internal conflict for the character to go with the external conflicts with her family and editor. Any thoughts?
As far as the premise goes, like what CC's character's life was like a week ago compared to what it is when the pilot starts, I can see a voiceover being done with a flashback-type thing going on. Like just last week, she realized that she hated her job and finally quit or something like that. I hadn't really thought about what would make her want to go and quit her job, but we do need to establish what did or has. I think her previous job could possibly have something to do with the publishing world. Like she could've been someone's assistant and was tired of pulling all the weight around, doing the boss's job for them and saw that there was never a chance of getting promoted. And as far as I know, assistants make pretty good money in the publishing industry, so her savings could be pretty well off....for now.

I'm assuming that we've established, or not, that she's already a published children's author (?). If not, we could always put up the front that every editor/publisher has turned her down and such. Don't we just hate rejection? Anyhow, a new publishing house has emerged and signs her on the spot. Her editor/agent guy/girl is giving her a hard time because they want the book/final revision by such and such date and it's not there or it's not done. Something like that.

I also thought of a new name for her character, see if it flows for you:
Cameron Woodson

Her family could make a habit out of calling her Ronnie when she prefers Cam or Cameron. Anyone else like this like I do?

beautiful creatures
Old 08-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Master Fan

I like Cam. That's a great name. I have a cousin named Cam but it's not short for Cameron, it's short for Camella.

The way the premise is playing in my head at the moment, Charisma's character has published two or three children's books. I've kind of been seeing her as a librarian or bookstore manager in a smallish town, so she'd be educated and pretty successful but in a job that doesn't have much room for upward movement. Maybe she already experienced whatever it was that started the doubts (birthday, old boyfriend, etc.) and has an epiphany one day while she's shelving books after hours and realizes she wants to be the one whose books are being shelved, not the one doing the shelving. I think for the premise to hold she has to have already been published or else she looks kind of foolish for quitting her job.

By the Book is my favorite title so far.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I like Cam. That's a great name. I have a cousin named Cam but it's not short for Cameron, it's short for Camella.

The way the premise is playing in my head at the moment, Charisma's character has published two or three children's books. I've kind of been seeing her as a librarian or bookstore manager in a smallish town, so she'd be educated and pretty successful but in a job that doesn't have much room for upward movement. Maybe she already experienced whatever it was that started the doubts (birthday, old boyfriend, etc.) and has an epiphany one day while she's shelving books after hours and realizes she wants to be the one whose books are being shelved, not the one doing the shelving. I think for the premise to hold she has to have already been published or else she looks kind of foolish for quitting her job.
i love it! We just got to throw a few things to spice it up

So we gonna stick with By The Book then?
av credit-paintedxlie
Old 08-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Loyal Fan

I love By The Book. It fits really well.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Master Fan

By the Book it is.

Now that we have the show title settled, maybe we can narrow down the character's first name.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Loyal Fan

Hmm how about something simple like Rose, Katie or Julia. Or maybe Katya or Mickala (Mike for short is kinda cute, lol)
Old 08-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Master Fan

This is tough because I've liked just about every name so far and most of them seem to fit Charisma. I think the best way to do this is to vote on it. Everyone can post their favorite names for the next day or two, then I'll set up a poll and we can all vote. So the list doesn't get too out of control, limit your name list to three names. Also, keep in mind that we've decided on Woodson for the last name so the first name should complement that. Does this work for everyone?