Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylane_4 (View Post)
Not only did she have dinner with Michelle Obama, she also read excerpts from Beedle the Bard to all of the G20 wives!

Dude, Jo is one brave lady, because that would intimidate the hell out of me!
Oh can you imagine, to have excerpts from her book heard by the first ladies of the 20 most powerful countries of the world. My head is spinning, just thinking about it.
Rousseau did a strange thing for a philosopher. He married Thérèse, an illiterate maid who didn't even know the months of the year... which must have bade for some of the most fantastic conversations ever... With him going "How can we be certain that what we perceive is actually real ?" and her going "Ooh, I don't know... Now I've got one for you, have we had february yet ?"
Old 04-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

So frick'n cool!!!!

Quote:
After the separate dinners for G20 leaders and their wives were over, the US president, Barack Obama, made a beeline for Rowling, telling her he is a big fan of her Harry Potter books.

An onlooker revealed: "He asked for her autograph and told her he had read all the Harry Potter books to his daughter, Malia, so counted himself a big fan of hers. Joanne was clearly very flattered."
Can you imagine how awesome Jo would be feeling after that meeting? OMG. Giving an autograph to the most powerful man in the world. Amazing!

Source ~ G20: JK Rowling is a hit with Obamas - Scotsman.com News
Old 04-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Master Fan

I KNOW!! I read that and could not stop myself from grinning!!! Guh, how incredible.

"A powerful woman is someone who exudes confidence, who can be tough but fair and kind. And who knows how to get what she wants."
Old 04-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Total Fan

Dude. The thought of being asked by Obama, of all people, for an autograph is mind-blowing. What an honor. And what an honor for Obama, too, to get to meet Jo! Heh.

Bonnie's Army | Harry ღ Ginny | Icon by sanya4 on LJ
Old 04-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Melia's friends must be so jealous now.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

My sister showed me that this morning. It's so freakin cute!!! . Wonder how Jo felt after that

Dean&Castiel

_avi:unknown
Old 04-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Master Fan

I'm sure she felt fabulous. How could she not?!

"A powerful woman is someone who exudes confidence, who can be tough but fair and kind. And who knows how to get what she wants."
Old 04-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

Cloud nine. You can't a better compliment. Especially since she respects him so much. I suppose if Jane Austen were alive and gave her a compliment like that she'd fall over.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Jo steps down from MS Society

Quote:
In the past, J.K. Rowling has donated millions of dollars to the MS Society Scotland, for which she is a patron and advocate since her mother died of the disease in 1991. She has announced today, however, that she has parted ways with the organisation, citing internal struggles between herself and them:

"I have now reluctantly decided that I cannot, in good conscience, continue to be the public face of a charity that is changing beyond recognition from the one with which I have been so proud to be associated."

"I also remain committed to financing future research into the treatment and causes of Multiple Sclerosis, and to campaigning for better care and treatment of people with MS in Scotland, which is the MS capital of the world.

"This disease claimed my mother's life at the age of 45, and I hope to continue giving both time and money to a cause which remains so close to my heart.

"I have not taken the decision to quit my position as patron of MSSS lightly. Late last year, I initiated and attended a mediation session, in the hope of sorting out long-standing and escalating conflict between the Scottish Council and management in London, driven by the imposition of changes by London.

"Unfortunately, this achieved very little. With mounting frustration and disappointment, I have witnessed resignations of immensely dedicated people within MSSS and the increasing demoralisation of staff whom I have come to know and admire over the ten years of our association."
source ~ snitchseeker.com
Old 04-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Moderator Manager

that's very sad to hear about JKR stepping down from a charity she has supported all this time. i'm sure there are other charities out there that would love to have her.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Loyal Fan

That's sad but I can understand her decision. It must have been very disappointing for her, but I hope she will always be involved in charities.
Rousseau did a strange thing for a philosopher. He married Thérèse, an illiterate maid who didn't even know the months of the year... which must have bade for some of the most fantastic conversations ever... With him going "How can we be certain that what we perceive is actually real ?" and her going "Ooh, I don't know... Now I've got one for you, have we had february yet ?"
Old 04-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Total Fan

I'm sad for Jo, of course, but reading things like this always makes me admire her even more. She always stays so true to her ideals and her moral center, and even in difficult situations like this, she always handles things with class and dignity. Well done to her.

Still, it's so sad and disappointing to hear that the MSSS has lost its way. It was such an important cause.

Bonnie's Army | Harry ღ Ginny | Icon by sanya4 on LJ
Old 04-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylane_4 (View Post)
I'm sad for Jo, of course, but reading things like this always makes me admire her even more. She always stays so true to her ideals and her moral center, and even in difficult situations like this, she always handles things with class and dignity. Well done to her.
I completely agree! It does say a lot about Jo's character, as upsetting as the news is about the charity.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

I means alot though that she took the time to even attend a mediation session to resolve the situation. It shows just how strongly she wanted it to work out.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:24 PM
CHH
Extreme Fan

I'm sure she'll find a way to support the cause through another organization. She's got enough money to start her own organization and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the route she eventually takes. If she feels this way, there are going to be others who feel the same and maybe there's enough experience among those people to create their own organization. I wonder if the organizaton has decided to focus on only part of its original mission--research instead of outreach, for example, and that's the source of dispute.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top