Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucycat (View Post)
I was surprised Luke even had Wi-fi in the diner!
Lorelai probably made him get it at some point
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 11-29-2016, 04:20 PM
New Fan

LOVED it

am i the only one who absolutely loved the revival, including the last four words??!!

(i'll admit could have done without the musical - felt like i was watching family guy with such a long drawn out bit...should have just cut to the ballad sutton foster sang since that was what really affected lorelai - "i am not unbreakable" - but i digress!!)

i though the pregnancy "twist" that ASP had planned all these years was completely unexpected by fans and yet completely obvious in retrospect.

i read a lot about it not being in line with rory's character, that she was much more level-headed and responsible than her mother. but then again, she didn't get pregnant at 16. she did achieve her dream of going to - maybe not harvard - but yale and becoming a journalist. and as a thirty-something myself, i find it TOTALLY believable that once she got out into the field, maybe her dream was not all that she imagined and her dreams changed. maybe she didn't want to be christiane amanpour (sp?) anymore. how many of us want to be the same thing we wanted to be at 15 years as at 32?

on another note, i think that she was a bit ill-prepared for the real world. he mother, grandparents, and the entire town of stars hollow kissed the ground she walked on (i always hated how luke had something against dean when it was rory who broke his heart, not once but twice. many of us graduate top of our class, go to a fancy school, etc. and then get out into the real world and realize we are not so special afterall.

i think ASP did a good job of showing her "daddy issues" throughout the show and into the revival. you don't have a dad who pops n every so often and arrive at 32 unscathed. she hated that feeling of abandonment. when jess abandoned her she knew she couldn't trust him again. i think it makes sense that she goes back to the comfort she found in dean years ago, and then in the revival, the comfort of her relationship with logan, disfunctional and wrong as it may be. i WAS surprised that the cheating didn't seem to bother her, but who knows how and when it started. maybe when they first started up again, there wasn't another girl in logan's life, and as the other woman became the MAIN woman, she convinced herself it was ok... don't know.

but i LOVE the parallel of the basically sweet, but incredibly self-centered and immature baby daddy (christopher and logan). we see jess look in the window at rory and see CLEARLY he still loves her. even though he didn't get as much screeen time as logan, his role was more pivotal. he gave her the idea for her book, her new dream. aside: she was ill-prepared for the sandysays website interview because she didn't care about it - that wasn't her dream. jess has always gotten her and still is there, even though they haven't seen each other in years, to support and inspire her.

once we find out she's pregnant we know that jess in endgame. it will be the same as lorelai. logan is her christopher and jess will be her "luke". though jess started out an abandoned kid himself and a punk, he has clearly grown up into a stable caring if gruff male (sounds a lot like luke, huh???) i've always been team jess so i was pretty happy with that ending!

the parallels are clear but what rory has that lorelai did not is a totally supportive mother whom she can rely on. i think each generation hopefully gives something a little better to the next. maybe rory will let jess in earlier, maybe her daughter will get married before getting pregnant, something will change with the next generation, but i think ASP is right in asserting that it's hard to escape our upbringing.

also, i've read some feminist rants about how rory would never forsake her dreams for a kid, but who says she can't write a book and have a kid? and i think a throughline of the show was that even though lorelai had to give up many of her own dreams and wanted better for rory, her "mistake" ended up being the best thing in her life. why couldn't the same thing happen with rory?

whoa!!! is that enough rambling for one night. in summation, kudos ASP. i dug the whole thing!
Old 11-29-2016, 04:32 PM
New Fan

one more thing...

my lengthy comment focused on rory and the last four words... forgot about the wedding.

i know the frollicking was staged and silly, but i was crying the whole time!!! from the moment the song that they first walkzed to came on, oh my goodness, water works. to see luke and lorelai finally after all these years marry...amazing.

i also thought it made sense for her character. thigns were good with luke, she didn't feel the need to change anything. she likes things the same, as much as luke does. but she realized some of what emily said was true. and maybe realized, hey i don;t have to continue loving my life NOT doing things just beccause my parents did. after this realization, she was able to admit she really did want to be married. she was also able to ask for money to grow the inn. not so intent on stiking it to her mother anymore. as flawed as their relationship is, they'd grown a lot.

so... love the luke and lorelai scenes.

AND... lvoed how much our third gilmore girl, emily, grew in the revival. she had to find her independence after richard's death and i just loved seeing her open up. i had a grandmother who was a lot like emily (minus the $$). a bit rough in some ways, very tied to rules, concerned with the right and proper way to do things. i was afirad of her as a child. but as an adult she became one of my best freinds. she let go of some of the things that were holding her back and opened up. she was forced to do this after my grandfather's death.

loved catching up with all three gilmore girls. so sad that it;s finally really over, but it was such a perfecct way to go.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeTV2 (View Post)
AND... lvoed how much our third gilmore girl, emily, grew in the revival. she had to find her independence after richard's death and i just loved seeing her open up. i had a grandmother who was a lot like emily (minus the $$). a bit rough in some ways, very tied to rules, concerned with the right and proper way to do things. i was afirad of her as a child. but as an adult she became one of my best freinds. she let go of some of the things that were holding her back and opened up. she was forced to do this after my grandfather's death.
Emily had some of the best character development I have ever seen.
Melissa | icon; Kita

Last edited by just stand still; 11-29-2016 at 08:27 PM
Old 11-29-2016, 08:01 PM
New Fan

Just watched panel and Lauren said the November 5th on the sign at the wedding reference something on the original series/was mentioned on the original series anyone know what it is?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:29 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMM51759 (View Post)
Just watched panel and Lauren said the November 5th on the sign at the wedding reference something on the original series/was mentioned on the original series anyone know what it is?
I honestly can't think of anything.
Melissa | icon; Kita
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 PM
Master Fan

I can only think of "remember, remember, the 5th of November" But I don't think it's something that was referenced on the show Or I have no idea!
Old 11-29-2016, 09:57 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMM51759 (View Post)
Gilmore Girls premired October 5th, 2000 so they married a month later on November 5th.

Also it was funny the V For Vendetta reference with the 5th of November.

LikeTV2 I agree Emily hands down the best character storyline of the revival! Loved to see Emily taking charge of her life and being happy for once.

In some strange way Emily reminders me of a combination of my Grandma's but more so my Grandma on my Dad's side. She who passed away 6 years ago in November.

In a way seeing Emily again I felt like I had her back. It was such a gift!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!

Last edited by Roswell 10/2/00; 11-29-2016 at 10:08 PM
Old 11-30-2016, 03:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

I have no idea about November 5th!

What else was said during that panel?!

I think Emily had one of the best stories yes! I enjoyed all of her scenes!

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 11-30-2016, 04:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I think Emily had one of the best stories yes! I enjoyed all of her scenes!
She really did.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:08 AM
Elite Fan

It still bugs me that Lorelai says they are getting married later that month, but actually it's next month.

I don't think it was ever mentioned on the original series.

Like the philosopher Jagger once said: You can't always get what you want.
Yvonne
Old 11-30-2016, 05:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

I just read a thing on reddit and they mention the horoscope that maybe on that day!? that's a guess

somebody mentioned this day

Quote:
Fran: This is a very crucial decision, young lady. Cake is the glue of the wedding, so you will stand here and eat until you decide.
Lorelai: Okay, if you insist.
Fran: I do. After all, what’s more important than your wedding day?
Lorelai: Well, it ain’t Guy Fawkes Day.
Guy Fawkes Day is November 5th. Maybe it's that?

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 11-30-2016, 06:27 AM
Elite Fan

Guy Fawkes Day, interesting. And yes, it could be Luke's birthday, too, but I don't think they would have it then.

Like the philosopher Jagger once said: You can't always get what you want.
Yvonne
Old 11-30-2016, 11:39 AM
Moderator Support Team

Lauren Graham Defends the Gilmore Girls Paul Situation | E! News
Old 11-30-2016, 02:16 PM
Loyal Fan

The Guy Fawkes Day is a British thing, so why would it be such a big deal on GG? I've only recently learned about it while listening to a Harry Potter podcast, where they explained what the day means in British culture and the correlation of that and the name of Dumbledore's pet phoenix. We Americans have no idea. (At least I didn't!)

Perhaps it was late October when Lorelai made the wedding plans, and she thought, hey next Saturday, but that ended up being Nov? Or they decided to put Nov. 5 on the sign at the last minute and forgot the "end of the month" line? (That's probably it!)
Closed Thread   Post New Thread