Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 11:39 PM
Dedicated Fan

I just watched again (and I'm trying to keep this thread on the first page to generate more conversation)...

Anyways, had to add that Rory was wayyyyyyyyyy too naive about the Logan prank, and Marty's explanation of it a little too much. Shouldn't it have sufficed it to say it was Logan's college version of the fourth-grader pulling your hair or calling you names when he likes you? I mean why does everything on the show polarize around the rich/poor issue (Marty saying "those guys" tapped her).

Can't remember who posted these remarks first (too lazy to look back) but yes indeedy Logan needs to stop it with the turtlenecks (Please oh Please let this message get to the GG stylists). And yes indeedy that the edit between walking into Emily's house and walking into Luke's apt was really odd.

AND c'mon, somebody chime in and agree with me that Doyle being shorter and skinnier than Paris is a bit freaky.
newoldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
AND c'mon, somebody chime in and agree with me that Doyle being shorter and skinnier than Paris is a bit freaky.
I noticed of course that he's shorter, but is her skinnier as well? LOL
Ania R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:25 PM
Elite Fan

I agree that Rory could have been a better host. I would have been bored listening to her and the smelling books was too much. I don't think Anna was so bad, just a little too perky

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
hshapir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by hshapir2
I don't think Anna was so bad, just a little too perky
Haha!! Perky! What did Paris tell us? Gotta watch out for THEM.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Loyal Fan

Alright, I'm not sure if anyone has said this before but I was reading all the complaints about Rory being the most boring host ever and not knowing how to have fun.
Now, I actually agree with you but instead of bashing my girl Rory I'd like to take it as a point being made by the writers: Rory really hasn't made a life for herself at Yale yet. And in walks my boy, Logan. They are obviously underlining Rory's lack of fun in college life so that we feel that she really needs someone like Logan in her life (in contrast to say someone like Marty, who actually bores her, the booksniffer, right to sleep). This also ties to the whole sub-partying at the Gilmore house in The Party's over (first time we've seen Rory socialize properly outside of her Stars Hollow life). And look at Rory and Logan's discussion at the canteen (Rory: Here I am trying to show Anna what college life is really like.. Logan: That is what college life is really like. Rory: Maybe your college life, not mine. That was my class, Logan. That was my professor who decides my grades...)
Her college life is books studying classes, his is fun parties pranks. And see what he coaxes out of her with his little skit: a fun humorous Rory who in return pulls a prank on him with Richard.

See where I'm going with this? Logan has the potential to loosen Rory up a bit, show her stuff outside of booksmelling. This is at least what they want us to believe. This is his attraction, this is one of the reasons why we should root for him. (and the fact that he's all dreamy )

And Rory does have fun. With her mom and Lane and in Stars Hollow, she just doesn't know how to have fun at Yale, Logan will show her.... I hope
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
~ Frank Zappa
Paré is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Paré
Now, I actually agree with you but instead of bashing my girl Rory I'd like to take it as a point being made by the writers: Rory really hasn't made a life for herself at Yale yet. And in walks my boy, Logan. ... And see what he coaxes out of her with his little skit: a fun humorous Rory who in return pulls a prank on him with Richard. ... Logan has the potential to loosen Rory up a bit, show her stuff outside of booksmelling. ... And Rory does have fun. With her mom and Lane and in Stars Hollow, she just doesn't know how to have fun at Yale, Logan will show her.... I hope
Thank you so much for this post. After reading all the posts on this thread (after being gone for almost a week, and falling very behind), I would like point out a few new points and reiterate a few others:

Thank you to all the Rory defenders. Granted, the girl remains far from omniscient and Girl-gone-wild, but...

1) GeekyRory and DorkyRory of S1 came back, and God bless the girl for it. The wardrobe is improved, the snarkiness upped, but the booksniffer is there beneath the surface. That IS Rory, lame or not. Rory IS academic, she does care about her grades.... which leads me to...

2) The Prank. Haha! She had every right to be embarrassed in class, but if she would put forth any thought, she should be flattered that she was the girl Logan bothered enough to pay attention to and get his cronies in on a practical joke that did make him, not her, look the fool.

3) Rory is not a party girl. The girl is trying to be responsible. But really, she's not hurting anyone in being her awkward social self. With Anna, she was trying to hold up her end of the deal with Headmaster Charleston. If Rory was told Anna was similar to Rory, then was it so wrong to try to show her what Rory would enjoy about Yale? Buying that gift bag was quite nice, I say.

4) But... because she does not party does not mean she does not have a wicked sense of humor. Rory has always been a fairly funny girl (not haha funny, not attention-grabbing Lorelai) in her quietly charming and deceptively sly ways. The Richard payback (with the most adorable "Sting" gesture - her smile was so far beyond cute to me) was the perfect example of her sense of humor. She was mad, but she got even, and was cheeky about it in the end. Logan will bring out the best in her, I truly believe that, but that's because he's forcing her to show him that he is underestimating her abilities.

Last note: wow, what a short fight between Lorelai and Luke. But it made sense. They understand each other. There's no need to play mental or emotional games. I do enjoy that honesty and vulnerability, the lack of reluctance to apologize and the ability to not make a huge deal of a few bad moments. Luke was snippy, for sure, but Lorelai was not going to hold that over his head, because fighting about that simply would not be worth it. Good for both of them.
ilovetheshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Master Fan

Agree with everything you wrote on your last postParé!

Quote:
Logan has the potential to loosen Rory up a bit, show her stuff outside of booksmelling. This is at least what they want us to believe. This is his attraction, this is one of the reasons why we should root for him. (and the fact that he's all dreamy )
My thoughts exactly. Logan is the one who can loosen Rory up a bit (Jess might've done that also, if he'd been around for longer). He's smart, fun and laid-back. What're you waiting for Rory! Grab him before anyone else does!

And, yes, Logan IS dreamy!
madelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovetheshins
3) Rory is not a party girl. The girl is trying to be responsible. But really, she's not hurting anyone in being her awkward social self. With Anna, she was trying to hold up her end of the deal with Headmaster Charleston. If Rory was told Anna was similar to Rory, then was it so wrong to try to show her what Rory would enjoy about Yale? Buying that gift bag was quite nice, I say.
I'd disagree. Rory is not giving that girl a sleepover that even Rory would like. I'd compare the experience she tried to Anna to what the scary Harvard alumni guy (and his family) did with Rory third season.

I took the Yale tour. I was impressed with the Beinecke Library. Especially their super high tech anti-fire protection where they pump in inert gasses to protect the books. Might kill the people, but the historic artifacts will be alright. The history and architecture were interesting. But if I had spent a night there to get a feel of the campus I'd be damned if my host gave me that tour again.

To bore everyone with a personal story. One of the schools I was looking at was Duke and I actually did spend a night over there after I was accepted. Of course the tour was great and as all tours are. After all it is a sales job. They paired me off with some guy who I had little in common with but he was cool. Most importantly he introduced me to everyone on his hall who showed me a pretty good time. They didn't take me to a kegger or anything but I got a real feel for how things worked. I saw the ingeniousness of some of the lofts they constructed. Had some great late night (he didnt insist I go to sleep at 11) conversations with some them on nothing much in particular. And got to see how I might just fit in if I actually lived there both socially and also academically (how tough is it to get classes you want, how easy is it to drop & add a class, how outrageous is the courseload, and do the TAs speak english).

Visiting I also got to see some stuff I didn't like. That the fraternities controlled actual portions of the dorms and since there were two campuses (with a bus between them) if you didn't pledge the right fraternity you risked having to take a bus to class. I even saw prospective students who were already trying to pledge a fraternity despite the fact they werent even there yet. They were (hopefully) making up stories of their drunken high school bacchanalia hoping to impress. While it was all optional with them controlling an absurd amount of the actual dorm space with little nearby off campus housing I saw images of social regimentation that didn't appeal to me in the least. Which is why I ended up deciding not to go.

But that is what Rory's job was. To give a perspective student enough information so that he or she can make up their own mind whether this is a place they want to attend. Maybe Anna's questions were different than Rorys and certainly she showed a great deal of immaturity. But if Rory can't answer them, she should've given her to someone who could. Rory may have done the right thing in not bringing her to a kegger but in trying to shield her from seeing what she wants to see and knowing what she wants to know she did the girl a disservice. Would Rory appreciate it if she had spent the night and the host regurgitated the official tour, made Rory write down every word, refused to let her see or do anything besides what she wanted, and went to bed early leaving Rory with a tv set and the remote control?

Rory though well meaning was just negligent. She neither informed Anna and since she bored the girls to tears enough that she had to go out by herself... protected her.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Raja

To bore everyone with a personal story...
Rory though well meaning was just negligent. She neither informed Anna and since she bored the girls to tears enough that she had to go out by herself... protected her.
I appreciate your story! I don't think it was her fault necc. that Anna went home in disgrace, but I'm finally ready to agree that Rory should have been a more accomodating host, despite her good intentions.

I love Logan's line about "if she didn't know after spending 5 minutes with you..."
Old 12-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Raja
Rory is not giving that girl a sleepover that even Rory would like. I'd compare the experience she tried to Anna to what the scary Harvard alumni guy (and his family) did with Rory third season.

See, I'm not so sure. Granted, the Harvard alumn was scary, but if YoungerRory were to be hosted by this past week's Rory, I don't think she would have minded. I guess we just differ there. Rory was not accomodating to "Anna;" she was trying to be accomodating to a girl whom Headmaster Charleston said had reminded him of a 16-year-old Rory. 16yoRory would not have fallen asleep during a lecture given by a renowned professor (look back to Road Trip to Harvard, and how excited Rory was in the classroom), asked constantly about parties (heck, because she still does not look do that), become giddy about staying up late (because Lorelai always let us watch TV, etc. plus Stars Hollow has nothing late-night to offer). Anna was different.

Raja, your personal story does make a lot of sense. That is how the experience should be. Rory definitely could have done a better job. But I just don't get this feeling she was so horrible, or dull. She was trying to be enthusiastic and interesting, in the way she knows best. (Which is not always the best, sure, I'll recognize that.) Anna did not ask those questions about student life, etc. I will agree that Rory was well-intentioned though perhaps not the host that would most reflect all the aspects of student life in college.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Dedicated Fan

Hey, just one OT question. Where can I find the the transcripts from gilmore-girls.net? I forgot to add the new site to my favourits list and now I can't find it again. Pleeeeeeease help me! Thanx a lot!

Inca
IncaJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by IncaJ.
Hey, just one OT question. Where can I find the the transcripts from gilmore-girls.net? I forgot to add the new site to my favourits list and now I can't find it again. Pleeeeeeease help me! Thanx a lot!

Inca
http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/gilmoregirls/
seslavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:50 AM
Extreme Fan

5.10 - But Not As Cute As Pushkin - Video Clips

5.10 - But Not As Cute As Pushkin - Video Clips

The links below are for a total of 13 clips of the episode.

All the files this time are wmv format. There were too many, and they were too large to do it any other way. If anyone feels that they need and .mpg or DivX .avi version. Let me know and I'll see what we can do.

They are:

Paris - Terrance - Rory - Life Coaching - 5.4 mB - Time 1:23

Lorelai - Luke - Advantages in Dating a Diner Man - 5.5 mB - Time 1:35

Rory - Anna - The Tour - 7.3 mB - Time 1:52

Rory - Anna - Logan - The Smell of Books - 7.6 mB - Time 1:56

Lorelai - Luke - Mrs. Thompson - The Boat Story - 16.3 mB - Time 4:11

Rory - Anna - Marty - Paris - The Pub - Spike & Drusilla - 9.2 mB - Time 2:21

Rory - Logan - Colin - Finn - The Skit - 7.2 mB - Time 1:50

Paris - Doyle - Speed Dating & Aftereffects - 12.6 mB - Time 3:13

Rory - Anna - Logan - Butt-Faced Miscreant - 8.7 mB - Time 2:13

Lorelai - Luke - No Respect For What I Want - 7.8 mB - Time 2:00

Rory - Marty - Don't Be Naive, It's Annoying - 7.9 mB - Time 2:02

Miss Patty - Lorelai - Luke - Anniversary & Reconciliation - 11.7 mB - Time 2:57

Logan - Richard - The Sting - 7.0 mB - Time 1:47

The clips below are available now, but are subject to being rotated for bandwidth reasons.

Computer Geek Stuff:

PC Users - Right Click to save on your machine
Mac Users - CTL Click to get context menu to save on your machine.

Paris - Terrance - Rory - Life Coaching - 5.4 mB - wmv Format

Lorelai - Luke - Advantages in Dating a Diner Man - 5.5 mB - wmv Format

Rory - Anna - The Tour - 7.3 mB - wmv Format

Rory - Anna - Logan - The Smell of Books - 7.6 mB - wmv Format

Lorelai - Luke - Mrs. Thompson - The Boat Story - 16.3 mB - wmv Format

Rory - Anna - Marty - Paris - The Pub - Spike & Drusilla - 9.2 mB - wmv Format

Rory - Logan - Colin - Finn - The Skit - 7.2 mB - wmv Format

Paris - Doyle - Speed Dating & Aftereffects - 12.6 mB - wmv Format

Rory - Anna - Logan - Butt-Faced Miscreant - 8.7 mB - wmv Format

Lorelai - Luke - No Respect For What I Want - 7.8 mB - wmv Format

Rory - Marty - Don't Be Naive, It's Annoying - 7.9 mB - wmv Format

Miss Patty - Lorelai - Luke - Anniversary & Reconciliation - 11.7 mB - wmv Format

Logan - Richard - The Sting - 7.0 mB - wmv Format
Old 12-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Addicted Fan

Jim, thank you so much! I loved the scenes in this episode!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:35 AM
Master Fan

Jim, you rock. That was definitely one of the best eps from this season. And is was one of Paris´s best eps. Loved her little reference to the movie "All about Eve", when that Chilton Girl knocked on the door, she said, "Eve Harrington has arrived".
ASP´s hidden hints to movies or other shows are sooo great.
FuzzyCerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread