Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2021, 08:11 AM
Graphics Team

Yeah it is better to move forward. Let's hope for the best.

And did everyone have a good Easter yesterday? Mine was fine. I went to church and we had a little lunch thing after. Then they were gonna hide eggs for the few kids out there to let them do a hunt.
Jac || Join 9-1-1GothamThe Wheel of Time
Old 04-05-2021, 05:24 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Glad you had a nice day

Easter isn't much of anything for me.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-06-2021, 07:57 AM
Graphics Team

I think Easter is one of the few things I do anything for. They always have that stuff going on at our church
I don't do stuff for some other holidays.. like Halloween. I used to ofc, but just not really something I go out for. I usually just watch the Halloween movies on tv then
Old 04-06-2021, 02:42 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Halloween isn't really a thing here. It tries to be & has gained some popularity but it still is barely anything. Australia doesn't understand the concept

For me I will 'celebrate' Christmas & Easter for my family but they don't mean anything to me anymore. Christmas seems more important to my parents than Easter or its more of a celebration

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-08-2021, 08:58 AM
Graphics Team

I don't really understand the concept either anymore. It's basically just something for people to do.. like a special event to just go out and dress up as whatever you want.
I feel like it's more of a thing for kids to do. To have fun in their costumes and get candy and such. But I think the haunted house stuff and you know.. different Halloween movies they show is nice.

I think the biggest thing is Christmas. Maybe the biggest holiday for most people?
Old 04-08-2021, 03:52 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Australia just has limited dressing up & going around for lollies. But whatever 'trick-or-treat' is actually meant to be never reached here. Haunted houses/decorations or playing scary movies is very uncommon. Its more stores which try to push it on people than people actually doing anything.

Christmas could be the biggest holiday for most, I don't know . If you celebrate it it has some importance. I'd presume its bigger than Easter for most. Australia's only other thing would be Australia Day & it is big for the country but its just the one day while also being controversial. That's something more for everyone or at least tries to be. While Christmas is adopted by many non-Christians so the true meaning isn't there at all, celebrated by Christians in multiple ways, & then also ignored by some who don't celebrate it. Christmas celebrations last longer & are available in shops from about August/September. Decorations are normally up all December. Australia Day is more for barbecues, drinking, & being with family. Then again so is Christmas here

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-09-2021, 10:50 PM
Graphics Team

So Christmas for you guys is basically the same as Australia Day?
I've never known Christmas to be associated with barbecuing So that's new to me. But still, your Australia Day sounds nice. Do you guys ever have anything like.. parades or anything big like that? I don't know a whole lot about Australia.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:30 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Yes & no. I just meant that people can celebrate in similar ways like the location, the people, & meals/drinking-wise. They're two completely different holidays though.

How Australia Day (Jan 26) is 'celebrated' depends on who you are & where you are. Its only in the last 25-30 years that it has been a national holiday. Before that only certain states or even cities/towns would mark the date. It commemorates the British First Fleet arriving in Australia. Since it is a public holiday most people use it as a day to spend with family, have a barbecue, & to drink. I know Sydney puts on a concert & I think they have fireworks & a couple of other things are done. There's not really a parade that I know of. The day also is the day when citizenship ceremonies are held so for many people it is the anniversary of when they became Australian. The flip side of it is because of the history of the date it is also Invasion Day. So we also get protests about the date & requests to move it. So we do have protest marches on that day. I also think at least in history we've had memorial marches for the Indigenous people who lost their lives on & after the day the First Fleet arrived.

Then as for Christmas that is Summer here so having a traditional roast dinner isn't necessarily appealing to everyone. So seafood, barbecues, salads, ect. are more common. Or some people will cook turkey &/or ham but serve it cold instead of hot.

The only parade that I know that Australia has is Mardi Gras. That isn't the same as what it is in the US as its a Pride Festival & Parade. It gets televised & makes the news (& goes onto my facebook dash because of the pages I follow) so the country knows & hears about that. I'm sure there are a lot more but they're more only known in those areas. There used to be a Christmas one in Melbourne but I don't think there still is. In a town I grew up in there used to be a Spring Festival which included a parade. Otherwise we have ANZAC Day parade/marches & I think on Remembrance Day (Veterans Day) there are too but that's different since its paying respect for veterans.

Sorry tiny history lesson a bit there

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-10-2021, 07:29 AM
Graphics Team

That's interesting. You guys do have quite different foods and ways to spend the holidays.
Maybe one day I can travel there. I'd like to travel to a lot of places if possible. So much to see and experience out there.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:11 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I presume that's mostly just a seasonal thing with a little bit of a cultural difference too. Personally I've grown up with the traditional roast dinner with turkey &/or ham. My father's allergic to shellfish so we don't eat seafood. So for us the European traditional works. But it may not be as much food or as much warm & filling food as we don't make a full on feast out of it & honestly a roast dinner is much better in winter. Australia had the traditions from Europe but with the different climate & the barbecue culture here that has influenced what traditional Christmas food has become here.

If you ever do come to Australia make sure you plan a few weeks or months trip All depending on what & how much you want to see & do here.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-11-2021, 11:54 PM
Graphics Team

Still seems like an interesting way to do seasonal things.

Why so long? Is there a lot to see and do? Cuz that may be fun.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:09 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I guess . Its probably a bit like how a White Christmas is completely foreign to me. But since the image of a White Christmas is shown everywhere I'm at least familiar with the idea of it still even if my Christmases are a long way from being white (unless you count sand but I don't go to the beach on Christmas so still no)

Because its a large country? Yes there is a lot of things to see & various things to do. It'd depend on what you're interested in too. If you just wanted beaches & theme parks for example then you could just do that in 1-2 weeks & only visit Queensland. But that's a tiny piece of what that state can offer, let alone the whole country. You could probably spend a week alone in Sydney & the Blue Mountains which again is a small part of what NSW can offer... that's two states down, 4 more states & 2 territories to go...

I'm sure America is the same & to truly explore it you'd need quite some time.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-13-2021, 07:49 AM
Graphics Team

Ohhh okay
Now I see why you said maybe a month. Seems like so much to explore. There's various places in the world I'd love to see.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:25 AM
Graphics Team Manager

It would be nice if time & money wasn't an issue & it was easy to go see all the amazing places around the world

I'm staying in a holiday rental for my new job while I try find somewhere to live & some of the other people here are noisy . There is a shared veranda area just outside my door & they go out there smoking & playing music. Great if you want to blow of steam & have some fun but seems completely disrespectful to me to other people here. They know that I'm in here too as they saw me get home. There's no rules that I've seen about being quiet &/or respectful of other guests though ... I went outside & they automatically asked if it was too loud & turned it down though so that was nice. Its still loud but better than it was

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 04-15-2021, 09:15 PM
Graphics Team

Agreed. There's so much to see and a lot is beautiful or fascinating.

I hate it when people do that. That happens all the time where I live, or even used to live. Mainly the people I lived with.
But glad they at least turned it down some for you.