Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-31-2016, 11:32 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybangelcakes (View Post)
So thoughts on the episode? Not gonna lie, I'm a little disappointed. I feel like the show played into an obvious trope and it was too much about whether the sex was good or not ...and not about their connection or that she was losing it to him and that's why it was special.

The vast majority of people don't have amazing sex their first time. Like Xo said, it takes time to figure out what works and what doesn't. It can be like that with every new partner. And if there are nerves and build up, that can change up in the experience.

I feel like we missed out on the tenderness and intimacy of someone's first time, especially when you're in love. It's a little awkward and nerve-wracking. And you feel like you two shared something that no one has. We didn't really get that...it was all about the orgasm.

I did like the cartoon drawing though And when they were unpacking and right before they had sex when they talked about their nerves. I wish we had more of that
I completely agree with this. I wasn't expecting the show to play up the tired trope of whether the sex was good or not and them trying many methods. Like you, I wanted to have it be more about them in general, the two of them sharing something special and Jane losing her virginity to her husband and love of her life. I wanted more awkwardness and cuteness, like when they admitted to each other they were nervous and kept saying they loved each other. I'm such a sucker for those kind of scenes .

That said, I did like that it mirrored reality in that the first time you have sex, it's never perfect and it takes time to find the right groove and what both partners like and need from sex. I liked that even though Jane and Michael had their share of frustrations over this, that they were able to work through them and show once again how compatible they are. Like Rose said, you could see the love pouring out of them.

So all in all, while it didn't go as I expected (I too expected the first time to be some romantic, tender moment at the end), there was a lot I liked about it. The scene I mentioned earlier, all of their amazing kisses, the cartoon (which is something only a show like this could pull off), and Jane and Michael watching their own sex tape to find out once and for all what they liked about it. That was just so them . As was the scene after the cartoon when they high-fived.

Also, I do remember Jennie saying she didn't want to make a big deal out of Jane's virginity, hence why it was done now and not in a premiere or finale. I remember her saying she just wanted it to be another moment in Jane's life and not something that defines her. Looking at it from that perspective, I'm okay with how it all went down. Underwhelmed, but okay.

Quote:
I think you're right, I think having a big romantic moment in the end be the first time would have been amazing but there's one good thing about them struggling here- it wont be stretched out in another episode Maybe now that the big event is out of the way we will get another very romantic scene with them later in the season? How beautiful would that be?
Yeah that's another good thing about the episode, that it doesn't seem like it'll be an arc that takes an episode or two to get right. Plus it leaves the door open for us to see a romantic moment with them at some point this season (wedding anniversary or sooner?) that's more in line with what we were expecting.

Also I love this:
Quote:
DEADLINE: When and why did you decide that Jane will lose her virginity with Michael? Did you ever consider anyone else?
URMAN: From the very beginning, I’ve known the bones of the story and where it was going to go, and I did know that Jane would get married to Michael and have sex with him.
I love when she mentions tidbits like this to further confirm that Jane and Michael were always the love story she wanted to tell in the show.
Andrea ღ|Icon: mine
Old 10-31-2016, 11:42 PM
Elite Fan

It was a magical moment Of course, it wasn't perfect but the first time isn't perfect and they showed it in a realistic way.
They are so in love

Old 11-01-2016, 04:06 AM
Ultimate Fan

I was very underwhelmed also I wish we had seen more of them doing it, and seen the careful way she'd touch him, gentle kisses, etc. The cartoon was really well done but it truly took me out of the moment. :/

I love you because you're my best friend
J&M
and I want to grow old with you.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:13 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I completely agree with this. I wasn't expecting the show to play up the tired trope of whether the sex was good or not and them trying many methods. Like you, I wanted to have it be more about them in general, the two of them sharing something special and Jane losing her virginity to her husband and love of her life. I wanted more awkwardness and cuteness, like when they admitted to each other they were nervous and kept saying they loved each other. I'm such a sucker for those kind of scenes .

That said, I did like that it mirrored reality in that the first time you have sex, it's never perfect and it takes time to find the right groove and what both partners like and need from sex. I liked that even though Jane and Michael had their share of frustrations over this, that they were able to work through them and show once again how compatible they are. Like Rose said, you could see the love pouring out of them.

So all in all, while it didn't go as I expected (I too expected the first time to be some romantic, tender moment at the end), there was a lot I liked about it. The scene I mentioned earlier, all of their amazing kisses, the cartoon (which is something only a show like this could pull off), and Jane and Michael watching their own sex tape to find out once and for all what they liked about it. That was just so them . As was the scene after the cartoon when they high-fived.

Also, I do remember Jennie saying she didn't want to make a big deal out of Jane's virginity, hence why it was done now and not in a premiere or finale. I remember her saying she just wanted it to be another moment in Jane's life and not something that defines her. Looking at it from that perspective, I'm okay with how it all went down. Underwhelmed, but okay.
Agreed with everything you've said I am really glad it wasn't a perfect sexual encounter because that's simply not realistic. We've always known it wasn't going to be that and I'm really happy the show took this opportunity to show that even if a couple is in love, that doesn't mean it's all going to click right away. That is real life.

However, what is also real life is when you have sex for the time first time -- you're not thinking about having an orgasm, it's clumsy, it's awkward, it's probably painful, but if you're with the right person it's still special, it's still loving and romantic. I was expecting to see that. I didn't want to see the full sex scene, but I was expecting a tidbit of the actual moment. While the cartoon was adorable and so silly and only a show like this could pull it off....it did take me out of the moment.

The scene right before the first time was perfect though and I loved it when they were unpacking boxes and they rolled onto the floor. You can feel their love for each other so much. And I do love that Michael wanted Jane to feel good! That's so refreshing to see on TV that it was one of his main concerns. We rarely see a guy going down on a girl...so good job, Michael

But yes, I am happy the trope has been finished in one episode. I've seen it with too many of my favorite couples.

I just remember when PJO had their first time -- it was probably the most romantic moment I've seen on TV, but even afterwards we saw the awkwardness and how she called "nice" and how she felt "safe" -- it wasn't about if she had an orgasm, which Pacey was focused on. No, Joey was focused on how she felt loved and safe. Maybe I expected something like that?
Old 11-01-2016, 06:31 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Like you, I wanted to have it be more about them in general, the two of them sharing something special and Jane losing her virginity to her husband and love of her life. I wanted more awkwardness and cuteness, like when they admitted to each other they were nervous and kept saying they loved each other. I'm such a sucker for those kind of scenes
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTheSun (View Post)
I was very underwhelmed also I wish we had seen more of them doing it, and seen the careful way she'd touch him, gentle kisses, etc. The cartoon was really well done but it truly took me out of the moment. :/
Quote:
but I was expecting a tidbit of the actual moment. While the cartoon was adorable and so silly and only a show like this could pull it off....it did take me out of the moment
Yep that's the only thing I definitely wanted more of. More tenderness, More kisses, the touches, slowly undressing, I think that would have been beautiful to see while keeping the outcome the same. I would really love to ask Jennie, why they chose NOT to show more? I'm not talking about anything explicit but just more for a normal network love scene?

The scene that was right before though, the ones I posted the gifs of, made my heart stop I think the most beautiful beautiful part of all of this HOW MUCH they love each other It's just so overwhelming and amazing in the best possible way. Brett and Gina are so PERFECT together as Jane and Michael...I don't know how they do it. I feel like the love radiates off their faces

So I probably should have started with this but I rewatched the episode and I have to say I loved it a lot more the second time! Something about it watching it again, without commercials and without expecting anything big (even though I already knew) made me love it even more. I wish I was more articulate with my words like you guys but I'll try my best to explain how I felt. Watching Jane and Michael find their groove felt so real and felt like nothing I had seen on TV before. I was so giddy and excited with them just watching. And I could feel how they were each frustrated? But what the most beautiful part is that they TALKED about it. Because isn't that what they say? That communication is key? and one thing that we know that Michael and Jane do extremely well is talk so watching them figuring out what they liked and what worked was just so cute and funny and SO REAL I mean a big part of me still wishes we got that magical TV lovemaking moment with the music, and slow mo shots and kisses but watching it again, I really did love it more. And Although the first time the cartoon did take me out of the moment a little both times, the second time it made me laugh out loud with how cute cartoon Jane and Michael was So guys I really suggest watching it again!

Quote:
The scene right before the first time was perfect though and I loved it when they were unpacking boxes and they rolled onto the floor. You can feel their love for each other so much. And I do love that Michael wanted Jane to feel good! That's so refreshing to see on TV that it was one of his main concerns. We rarely see a guy going down on a girl...so good job, Michael
I loved that scene SO MUCH they couldn't keep their hands off each other lol. I loved how they just layed there on the floor and Jane pulled him back up lol. Scenes like that just make my heart melt♥

Quote:
I just remember when PJO had their first time -- it was probably the most romantic moment I've seen on TV, but even afterwards we saw the awkwardness and how she called "nice" and how she felt "safe" -- it wasn't about if she had an orgasm, which Pacey was focused on. No, Joey was focused on how she felt loved and safe. Maybe I expected something like that?
I know what you mean I think we got a portion of that with them kissing and talking in bed right before they did it which I'm so grateful for. They're huge smiles and Michael asking Jane if she was sure and how he wants her to enjoy it was my favorite part
Old 11-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I know what you mean I think we got a portion of that with them kissing and talking in bed right before they did it which I'm so grateful for. They're huge smiles and Michael asking Jane if she was sure and how he wants her to enjoy it was my favorite part
Yes, thank god that scene was in there...if something like that wasn't, I would have felt so sad. That scene made the moment for sure.

But hearing that you loved it even more the second time makes me happy. I'll rewatch it tonight. One thing I am really happy they put in there was Michael going home and watching the tape and trying to learn from it, on his own. That's how much he wanted Jane to enjoy herself. And them watching it together, we never really stuff like that on TV. That felt very real, a couple talking through their problems. Sex is so much about communication and working together. The show handled that really well.

Quote:
Yep that's the only thing I definitely wanted more of. More tenderness, More kisses, the touches, slowly undressing, I think that would have been beautiful to see while keeping the outcome the same. I would really love to ask Jennie, why they chose NOT to show more? I'm not talking about anything explicit but just more for a normal network love sce
I have a feeling we'll get a scene like that in the future

The cartoon was super cute, like the amount of detail they put into the second one, in particular, was so freaking cute and silly. "Tap that ass" And the whale and blowing through the horn! And the sunglasses. Very, very cute.

But I seriously love that Jennie ALWAYS knew that JM were going to get married That should be a future title.

But the greatest thing that came out of last night's episode is how the show handled how people telling you that you should be pure and a virgin your entire life and then when you finally having sex, you feel guilty or like you're a different person. This is never discussed on TV when I think it's something I have personally dealt with and many of my friends. We were constantly told sex is wrong and don't be a "****" (hate that word) so when you finally do have sex, even if you're in love or whatever, you still feel guilty about it.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:12 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybangelcakes (View Post)
Yes, thank god that scene was in there...if something like that wasn't, I would have felt so sad. That scene made the moment for sure.

But hearing that you loved it even more the second time makes me happy. I'll rewatch it tonight. One thing I am really happy they put in there was Michael going home and watching the tape and trying to learn from it, on his own. That's how much he wanted Jane to enjoy herself. And them watching it together, we never really stuff like that on TV. That felt very real, a couple talking through their problems. Sex is so much about communication and working together. The show handled that really well.
I agree with every word! Watching Them snuggle and then just talk about how nervous they were was just precious I'm so happy that we got to see at least that. Yes girl, trust me, I think you'll love it the second time around (and then come tell us how you felt lol)!

You know oddly enough, when Lina was talking to Michael and he left, I had a feeling he wasn't actually mad, I thought he was going to set up a romantic thing like he did in S1. I'm so glad he went home and did some digging (DECTECTIVE SKILLS put to use!), and really it's so touching because he wants to make her happy and wants to make sure she was enjoying her self too and you could see how touched Jane was But them getting turned on again was hot and so funny I wish that, that moment had turned into the even bigger romantic one. but its ok theres hope for the future! (maybe!)

So I was reading through some interviews with Jennie that were just posted about the episode (sry I can't link them right now) But she says that the orgasm thing wasn't originally part of the story- only sending the video to the prof was. But she also wanted to add in another emotional aspect. Also she says that they used the cartoon because of how much magical realism is such a big part of JV and that she wanted Jane's first time to be a more private moment.

DEADLINE: Why did you decide to use animation for the sex scenes?
URMAN: We wanted to do something with magical realism, one of the things that make the show particularly specific. We are not competing with HBO or Netflix and we’re not going to show the real physicality of sex. I wanted Jane to have a private moment and have it be more about the feeling, what her expectations were

Now usually I like what Jennie says, but lets be real, Jane is a character on TV and we've seen every other part of her life. I don't think this necessarily had to fade to cartoon. Also it's not like the CW doesn't have passionate love/sex scenes? This was a weird choice to me

Quote:
I have a feeling we'll get a scene like that in the future
I HOPE SO another beautiful and intimate scene would be perfect♥

Quote:
The cartoon was super cute, like the amount of detail they put into the second one, in particular, was so freaking cute and silly. "Tap that ass" And the whale and blowing through the horn! And the sunglasses. Very, very cute.
I know right! Watching it again, I was literally sitting there laughing my head off because of the music, the "GET IT JANE" and "TAP THAT ASS"
Cartoon Jane and Michael looked SO HAPPY

Quote:
But I seriously love that Jennie ALWAYS knew that JM were going to get married That should be a future title.
Is that the absolute best!? AGREED!

Quote:
But the greatest thing that came out of last night's episode is how the show handled how people telling you that you should be pure and a virgin your entire life and then when you finally having sex, you feel guilty or like you're a different person. This is never discussed on TV when I think it's something I have personally dealt with and many of my friends. We were constantly told sex is wrong and don't be a "****" (hate that word) so when you finally do have sex, even if you're in love or whatever, you still feel guilty about it
YES!I'm still floored that this actually happened and was talked about on TV. So often we see that sex is this no big deal, that it's a "it happens, so it happens" kinda thing. That everyone either has the greatest sex or doesn't, that afterwards it doesn't effect you at all. But it has never been talked about like this and I think it was so beautifully done. So I think I could relate because as a Muslim, we are supposed to wait until marriage so I am sure that this is something that everyone who waits goes through-IT'S REAL. It changes you but in a good way and that sex with someone you love especially is a beautiful thing, its a new part of your life just like Xo said.

Last edited by redrose13; 11-01-2016 at 08:20 AM
Old 11-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Master Fan

I didn't expect a perfect first time but I really think they should have put their best writers on this episode. It should have been funnier and more emotional.
The Lord is my shepherd.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Master Fan

I didn't know we'd gotten a board! Sign me up of course
Old 11-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiqa (View Post)
I didn't expect a perfect first time but I really think they should have put their best writers on this episode. It should have been funnier and more emotional.
I agree. I think they were too focused on making the episode revolve around Jane while simultaneously not making a big deal of her losing her virginity and they couldn't do it successfully without taking away from J/M. Him falling asleep for instance could have been written humourously. Instead it made me feel bad for her but then we have her email her professor which jumps to humour. It felt off. I'm glad told him about not having an orgasm though. It was good to see her honesty.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I wish that, that moment had turned into the even bigger romantic one. but its ok theres hope for the future! (maybe!)
Yeah I was really disappointed that JM didn't get the final scene of the episode? I really think they could have handled the romantic aspect of their first time differently.

Quote:
Him falling asleep for instance could have been written humourously. Instead it made me feel bad for her but then we have her email her professor which jumps to humour. It felt off
I didn't like that either. I just don't see Michael, who waited years to be with Jane and marry her, and then they finally have sex and then he falls asleep? I just don't buy that.

Quote:
YES!I'm still floored that this actually happened and was talked about on TV. So often we see that sex is this no big deal, that it's a "it happens, so it happens" kinda thing. That everyone either has the greatest sex or doesn't, that afterwards it doesn't effect you at all. But it has never been talked about like this and I think it was so beautifully done. So I think I could relate because as a Muslim, we are supposed to wait until marriage so I am sure that this is something that everyone who waits goes through-IT'S REAL. It changes you but in a good way and that sex with someone you love especially is a beautiful thing, its a new part of your life just like Xo said.
Yeah it's something I've had to deal with in my own way, so I really appreciated that talk and we never see anything like that on TV. You're right, it's basically just -- they had good sex or bad sex. Or they have sexual chemistry. Or whatever...you don't see how it can affect someone, even in the really simple way of guilt or feeling like you've changed. Obviously, everyone experiences something different, but it was nice to see this take. I love what Xo said about gaining something...I wish sex was described that way to young people growing up. Not like you're losing something.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Fan

I rewatched and honestly I'm quite upset at the fact that Jane and Michael had clearly already done sexual things before (when he went down on her that was made very explicit and obvious) but they were still calling her a virgin. Like I'm sorry but if you've done sexual things, you're not a virgin. Penis in vagina isn't the only way to have sex and lose one's virginity (whatever that means, because, as Xo reminded Jane, you don't lose your virginity, you open yourself up to new experiences), and it is incredibly heteronormative to present the concept like that.

I love you because you're my best friend
J&M
and I want to grow old with you.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah her doing things before was kind of an interesting twist, though it may have been mentioned before? I'm not surprised, but I also never really thought about it. I think what people think of "losing your virginity" is a very personal thing and depends on each individual relationship. I guess for me I personally defined it as sexual intercourse (p+v)...but obviously that is different for different people.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTheSun (View Post)
I rewatched and honestly I'm quite upset at the fact that Jane and Michael had clearly already done sexual things before (when he went down on her that was made very explicit and obvious) but they were still calling her a virgin. Like I'm sorry but if you've done sexual things, you're not a virgin. Penis in vagina isn't the only way to have sex and lose one's virginity (whatever that means, because, as Xo reminded Jane, you don't lose your virginity, you open yourself up to new experiences), and it is incredibly heteronormative to present the concept like that.
Jane is Christian and she's not just Christian, she's Catholic. They think homosexuality is a sin, so heteronormative is the only acceptable way. Sex is for procreation and that means intercourse. Anything else is still sinful and filthy in the eyes of the church, but it doesn't mean you're not a virgin. As long as it's not sodomy, you won't burn in hell.

I agree about her having done sexual things before making her image get tarnished and that she's had sexual experiences, but she was still a virgin. Only people who aren't Christian or LGBT will see it as sex. The church disagrees with you and she's Catholic.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Elite Fan

“Jane the Virgin,” satisfied at last: TV gets real about first-time sex - Salon.com

Quote:
Tuesday, Nov 1, 2016 03:42 PM E

“Jane the Virgin,” satisfied at last: TV gets real about first-time sex
Jane and Michael take their relationship to the next physical level in a refreshingly honest portrayal

After more than two years, one accidental artificial insemination, childbirth, a suspenseful love triangle, a wedding, a shooting and just a touch of post-traumatic stress, on Monday night, the CW’s beloved Jane, a virgin, became a virgin no more. And what was her verdict on the long-postponed deflowering, when she finally bedded her new husband Michael? Kinda meh. Not so good for Jane, but great for sex on television.

As everyone who’s seen porn — or romance movies and TV, for that matter — knows, sex is supposed to be effortlessly hot. Clothes magically disappear from the body, or weirdly, stay on. Nobody ever, ever has to fumble with socks. Orgies are meticulously choreographed. Men are ever tumescent and women are equally primed. Then, a few low moans, and, effortless, egalitarian ecstasy. Kind of makes those of us (i.e., all of us) who’ve ever experienced disappointing sex go whaaa? It’s certainly got to be even more confusing for those who’ve never experienced sex at all. It’s like getting your notions of what driving feels like from watching action movies.

Even before Jane and her soul mate got down to business at last, this final frontier was being heralded as a television event. And at first, we seem to know exactly what we’re in for. On Monday’s episode, right before they hit the sheets, Michael tenderly admits he’s a little nervous too, and that, “I want it to be good for you.” Jane assures him, “It’s going to be perfect, because it’s you.” Then it’s not.

Our discreet narrator guides us away from the action to an animated rocket launch and returns us to the afterglow, where a satisfied Michael beams, “Wow. You and me, finishing at the same time, about as good a first time as I could have wanted.” Turns out, however, that Jane’s finish was faked.

The rest of the episode cleverly explores Jane’s shocked confusion and shame. Could all those years of her grandmother’s scolding warnings that losing your virginity is like crumpling up a beautiful flower have gotten in Jane’s head a little? Yeah, maybe. Could her impulse to please her partner have overridden her own desires? Absolutely. Jane later confides in her friend Lina that she “panicked” and could tell Michael was ready to wrap it up, so she pretended she was too. “Faking orgasms are for nights when you’re trying to get some rando out your apartment,” Lina chides, “not for the guy your’e supposed to have sex with for the rest of your life.”

Jane wisely soon fesses up to Michael, who asks “Have you faked it before, when we did . . . other things?” It’s a smart way for the show to make it clear that virginity exists on a continuum of activities, and that Jane is no stranger to the O zone. Michael then gamely — and bravely for network television — tries to attend to her “other things” first. Now, however, too self-conscious and filled with performance anxiety, Jane can’t get her groove on, prompting a hearty “BOOOOOOO” from the narrator. The couple have a few more failed attempts, until finally, in a heart-to-heart with her mother Xo, Jane weepingly confesses that she feels like she’s now lost a part of her identity. “I’ve been dying to get rid of this for so long,” she sobs. “This is so stupid!” Yet she’d also been tenaciously hanging on to “this” for her entire life, and she’s not sure who she is any more. She also fears she and Michael aren’t compatible. With her mom’s reassurance that sexual confidence and satisfaction take time and trust, Jane and Michael go back to the drawing board. And to the strains of Jackie Wilson’s ecstatic “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher,” this time the rocket achieves full, explosively joyful liftoff.

Jane’s transition from pregnant virgin to sexually vibrant married mother has been a long time in coming (PUN INTENDED), and as always, Gina Rodriguez’s sweet, funny, sexy performance captures all of Jane’s sexual confusion and courage. Every step of the way, Jane’s story — in which it turns out that the journey hasn’t been toward a single sexual act but a healthy, sexually satisfying relationship — has been entertaining as well as instructive. Sex and pleasure aren’t interchangeable notions. And now Jane, like plenty of other men and women who have likewise figured out along the way, knows the difference.

Last edited by Gio Gio; 11-01-2016 at 01:15 PM