Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Extreme Fan

Nuggets play Portland tonight!
Old 02-12-2004, 10:20 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
AWARDS SHOW

Some of the best work in the first half of the season came from unexpected sources. As the NBA heads into All-Star weekend, here are SI's trophy winners.

MVP- Kevin Garnett, Timberwolves.

Rookie- Carmelo Anthony, Nuggets.

Coach- Jerry Sloan, Jazz.

Executive- Kiki Vandeweghe, Nuggets.

Most Improved Player- Zach Randolph, Trailblazers.

Defensive Player- Tim Duncan, Spurs.

Sixth Man- Bobby Jackson, Kings.

Midseason All-NBA team- Forwards: Garnett and Duncan. Center: Brad Miller, Kings. Guards: Michael Redd, Bucks, and Baron Davis, Hornets.
Agree or Disagree? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

ETA: Information taken from this week's Sports Illustrated magazine.

[ 02-12-2004: Message edited NikNak ]
Old 02-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hmmmmm. SI seems to favor the West.

O.K., posters....time to pick....who will win:
East or West?
Old 02-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

All-star weekend here baby... [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]

McDonald drops Kobe as spokesperon and replaces w/ Yao Ming. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

McDonald’s Announces Partnership With Yao
Old 02-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Elite Fan

I think I agree with the list, Nik. I haven't really watched the NBA close enough to know everything. Looks close enough to me [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

YO!
Old 02-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Passionate Fan

I think Yao having a commercial should be interesting to say the least I liked the Pizza Hut commercial he and Peyton Manning did last year.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyFan:
<STRONG>Hmmmmm. SI seems to favor the West.

O.K., posters....time to pick....who will win:
East or West?</STRONG>
Barring a miracle, the West. No defense will be played in this game, but I expect the West's inside dominance to prevail.

I pretty much agree with SI’s list. The only selection I’m iffy about is Tim Duncan as defensive player of the year. He’s my favorite NBA player, but Ron Artest deserves some props. I’d rank him right up there. He’s the best on-the-ball defender in the league.

As for the much ballyhooed Portland-Atlanta trade, I think the Hawks got the better end of the deal. They obviously weren’t winning with Ratliff and Abdur-Rahim, and would like nothing better than to clear more salary cap space, so this trade makes a lot of sense on their behalf. Atlanta is pretty apathetic about its basketball, so why waste so much money on a below-average product? I doubt they will be able to attract top-flight free agents in the summer, but at least they will have the money to have A LOT more flexibility in their decision-making. I LOVE Abdur-Rahim’s talent and ability, but he’s never been a dominant player, much less a winner. Maybe he can turn things around in Portland. As for Ratliff, he’s an injury waiting to happen. Both are overpaid, so the Hawks are smart to shake things up.

The Bulls still suck. They frustrate the hell out of me! It amazes me just how much finger-pointing one team can do. Just when they started to play well on the West coast, they go and stink things up with a putrid outing against Indy the other night. Pfffft! At least they stepped up to the plate against their newest doormat, the Boston Celtics, to end things off on a positive note before the All-Star break.

Kobe is SO out of L.A. after this season. I heard that he’s decided not to extend his contract. It will be interesting to see where he ends up.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Elite Fan

I don't think 'Reef is overpaid, but to be honest, the talent in Atlanta, they should've been alot better. Theo i also like, but he might get broken in half in the west.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Total Fan

West is going to crush, Abdur-Rahim is paid too much compared to the performance of other max or near-max salary players, and the Raptors continue to disappoint.

Oh, no LeBron tonight; instead, we get the comedic stylings of Chris Anderson. Ugh.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Extreme Fan

What's wrong with Chris Andersen?

[ 02-14-2004: Message edited Carmelo Anthony ]
Old 02-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Carmelo Anthony:
<STRONG>What's wrong with Chris Anderson?</STRONG>

I have a feeling we might have another Brent Barry moment.

Where's all the real dunkers at? Give me Vince, Kobe, T-Wack, Desmond Mason, Stevie Franchise, Lebron. The only way the NBA can make the Slam Dunk contest better is by having the best dunkers in the field. Chris Andersen?? Does that boy have any hops? I haven't seen any highlights of him dunking (probably doesn't help when he averages 3.5 PPG).
Old 02-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaolin:
<STRONG>

I have a feeling we might have another Brent Barry moment.

Where's all the real dunkers at? Give me Vince, Kobe, T-Wack, Desmond Mason, Stevie Franchise, Lebron. The only way the NBA can make the Slam Dunk contest better is by having the best dunkers in the field. Chris Andersen?? Does that boy have any hops? I haven't seen any highlights of him dunking (probably doesn't help when he averages 3.5 PPG).</STRONG>
He's got hops and his dunks have been on Sports Center top 10 a few times.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Carmelo Anthony:
<STRONG>
He's got hops and his dunks have been on Sports Center top 10 a few times.</STRONG>
Oh that explains it. I'm up in Ontario, Canada so I don't get any ESPN news coverage. I get alot of hockey news though. Bleh!! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I haven't been "Canadianized" enough to love hockey. I need my hoops!

So, are you taking your hometown boy to win it? Jason Richardson is probably the favourite going in, but I'll be rooting for Ricky Davis. The guy is an ass, but he can sure dunk.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Extreme Fan

You're Canadian and don't like hockey? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

But yeah Chris Andersen is a good dunker, it'll be interesting to see how he does. Ricky Davis is an ass, no wonder he was sent packing to Boston.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Extreme Fan

Shaq picked "The Bird Man"(Chris Andersen) to win the Dunk Contest tonight. Everyone else was picking J Rich.