Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Damn Philly beats Lakers...96-73. Iverson scored 39 points...Payton got ejected in the 1st. quarter! LA only scoring 73 points...damn!! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Quote:
Hilary Duff, Ashanti, Usher Headline
NBA All-Star Read to Achieve Celebration

NEW YORK, Feb. 5 -- Multi-talented music, film and television star Hilary Duff, Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter Ashanti, two-time Grammy Award-winning and multi-platinum selling superstar Usher and newcomer FeFe Dobson will headline the musical entertainment at the NBA All-Star Read to Achieve Celebration.

This one-hour television special will include special appearances by Will Smith, NBA players such as rookie sensations LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony along with Baron Davis, Mike Dunleavy Jr. and Corey Maggette, as well as WNBA stars Lisa Leslie, Cheryl Ford and Sue Bird.

The Read to Achieve Celebration is set to air on Saturday, Feb. 14 at noon ET and will be simulcast on ABC, TNT, BET, Nick GAS, NBA TV, AOL for Broadband, RealOne SuperPass, NBA.com's Inside Ticket, MTV (Canada), TORONTO 1, A-Channel (Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg), and will be televised at a later date on Disney Channel, Telemundo and mun2 (check your local listings).

NBA Inside Stuff host and executive producer Ahmad Rashad and co-host Summer Sanders will host the special from the Los Angeles Convention Center.

"It's important for young people to understand that no matter what their goals are in life, reading is one of the biggest keys to future success. It can open the door to an entire world of possibilities and the Read to Achieve Celebration has become a wonderful way to get this message across," said Rashad. "Featuring celebrities, NBA and WNBA stars, this event provides kids with a powerful reminder of the value of reading."

Duff, who already in her young career has a multi-platinum album, had a No. 1 television series and two box office hits including her current film Cheaper by the Dozen which also stars Steve Martin, will perform "Come Clean” from her debut release METAMORPHOSIS.

Ashanti, who’s known as the princess of hip-hop and R&B, will perform "Rock Wit U (Aww Baby)” from her platinum-selling sophomore album CHAPTER II, and she’ll soon be heading to the big screen for her acting debut in the basketball-themed film "Coach Carter.”

With over 20 million in record sales, Usher -– who will release his fourth album entitled CONFESSIONS on March 23 –- will perform "Yeah” from his new album, while up-and-coming artist FeFe Dobson will be sing her hit single "Everything" from her self titled debut album.

Will Smith will join the NBA and WNBA players to make special appearances throughout the event to discuss the importance of reading and show young children how critical it is to future success.

This event is a celebration of reading and a highlight of the NBA's Read to Achieve program, the centerpiece of the league’s community relations efforts. Launched in May 2001, Read to Achieve is a year-round, league-wide initiative supported by all NBA, WNBA and National Basketball Development League (NBDL) teams that promotes the value of reading and on-line literacy and encourages families and adults to read regularly with young children. Reaching an estimated 50 million children a year, Read to Achieve is the most extensive educational outreach initiative in the history of professional sports.

Thousands of students from the greater Los Angeles area will attend the Celebration as a reward for their participation in local reading programs. The NBA All-Star Read to Achieve Celebration is part of NBA All-Star 2004 which takes place in Los Angeles from Feb. 12-16. NBA All-Star 2004 includes NBA All-Star Saturday Night on Feb. 14 and the 53rd Annual NBA All-Star Game on Feb. 15.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Total Fan

LeBron said he pulled out of the Dunk Contest because of ankle concerns, though I suspect the sting of being rejected played a part.

Here's a good look at the life of an NBA referee.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyFan:
<STRONG>

How about that? The Knicks are back, after disappearing for a few years. The play-offs just haven't been the same. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
A completely different team now, with Marbury, Mutumbo, and VanHorn.</STRONG>
I know I'm scared and given how much Isiah hates Bird it just makes it all the worse.

Yeah I couldn't watch the Lakers/Sixers game it was so boring! I mean it would've been exciting had Kobe been there but considering it was in Philly what would be the point its not as if he was playing.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Addicted Fan

Headhunter: You seem to be real high on Mr. AK-47. The only problem I see with your deal is the Raptors might lose some "credibility" with Carter gone. Fans might not show up to games, and free agents might not sign with Toronto with no marquee player on the team. The lineup you have would be nice, but I can see everyone jumping ship and leaving the Great White North after their contracts are up (ie. T-Wack).

Here's a couple more Vince trade scenarios:

-Vince Carter straight up for Shawn Marion. They got similar game, but The Matrix is a much better defender.

-Vince and filler for Corey Maggette and Melvin Ely. Maggette has similar abilities to Carter (not that much of a drop off) and Ely gives the Raps another big man.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Total Fan

Yeah, the short term would result in some serious marketing repercussions. The Raptors would have to eat a lot of salary (Ostertag? Clark?) to make it work, as well.

As for free agents, Toronto isn't an attractive option to begin with for some American players because it's "foreign". Still can't believe Davis was outraged that we use the metric system and have a different anthem...

I can see Carter for Marion, but would the Suns do it? Joe Johnson has emerged as a big contributor after Penny departed, and I can't see Carter holding up if he has to bang with bigger, tougher Western 3's. Raptors fans would be pretty happy though. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I can also see Maggette/Ely, but the Clips would have to unload more salary to make it work (or eat it, which is unlikely with The Donald). They're also saving up for a run at Kobe, for a dreaded Bryant/Brand/Maggette trio.

I'm hoping Toronto somehow appeals to Nash's Canadian roots, and pick him up. Nash and Rose in the back court, Carter and Marshall manning the forward positions and Bosh as an undersized but athletic 5 could get it done.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Elite Fan

AI single-handedly wrecked AL's shhhh the other night, that was awesome.

Can we get a little ThugLuv up in here? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Passionate Fan

Who's AL?
Old 02-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Elite Fan

LA my fingers were too fast for my own good.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Elite Fan

Damn, now i see why Orlando only have 13 wins.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Passionate Fan

Yeah I kept thinking this is what the Lakers are like without Kobe hmmmmm imagine next year?

Pacers won YAY!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Headhunter, that's what I was thinking too about Bron' pulling out of the Dunk Contest...which is a shame though. I was looking forward to seeing him there! [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Damn Marbury scored 42 points against Clippers last night...
Old 02-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Katiebear:
<STRONG>Who's AL?</STRONG>
I think I like that name. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Al from LA LA Land.

I thought Orlando would pull that one off yesterday.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Elite Fan

Can anyone tell me why isn't Max Kellerman hosting "Around the Horn"???
Old 02-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKSTAR:
<STRONG>Can anyone tell me why isn't Max Kellerman hosting "Around the Horn"???</STRONG>
Oh good I thought I was alone I think he might've gone on vacation if he was gone wouldn't it have been bigger news?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Total Fan

After being snubbed by the core game but wanting to get involved, LeBron has been reconsidering joining the dunk contest. LeBron, Jason Richardson and Desmond Mason isn't too bad; maybe get T-Mac into it?