Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Addicted Fan

I don't think Schumacher should be allowed to test either. I don't think he will. I think that neither Williams or FIA will allow.

About Piquet... it was indeed a matter of time. But I still insist that he is a really good driver. He's not lying when he says that most of the races he didn't have the same car as Fernando. He and Fernando only had the same car in only 2 or 3 races. So it's rather difficult to have good results when he doesn't have a good car, when he's being compared to the best driver in the grid and when he's boss is the biggest prick in F1, who knows **** all about the sport and only cares about money.
Anyway... I'm sure he will have a second chance and he hopefully will race again in 2010. Maybe in Williams? I don't know. All I know is that he'll still show how good he is when he drives for another team, just like happened to a lot of great drivers that Flavio Briatore fired in the past. (The current championship leader is just one example of Flavio's huge mistakes in F1)

And about the new guy, Romain Grosjean... he's a decent driver, but he is absolutely not ready for F1. Last year he had his ass completely kicked by Bruno Senna and Lucas di Grassi in GP and this year, after the first couple of races, he's been playing the clown, starting from the back of the grid after stupid accidents in qualifying. Plus, he's doesn't seem to be mentally ready for F1. Again, he is a good driver. But he's not ready for F1 at all.

Today Felipe will give an interview to Brazilian media! And tomorrow he's flying back to his home in Brazil...
"Grace is what matters. In anything, especially life, especially growth, tragedy, pain, love, death. That's a quality I admire very greatly. It keeps you from reaching for the gun too quickly, it keeps you from destroying things too foolishly. And sort of keeps you alive."
-Supersonic- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Moderator Manager

wow, my first post on this thread! this is what i get from being so busy with work and getting sick.

anyway, i know A LOT has happened since i last posted. the next race is like 3 weeks away. i missed Massa's accident because i was out that time. but all i saw on tv were the doctors wheeling him away. also, it was funny how Schumi denied driving to replace Massa and then weeks later admitting that he is driving for Massa until the season is over. but its quite exciting to see that he's back. he's got ample time to practice now. and i'm looking forward to seeing him drive alongside Kimi.

i'm still rooting for Button to win championship this year. oh yeah, how disappointed was i when Alonso didn't finish at the last race? i mean P1 and then...something happens to the car. wow. i wasn't expecting that.

oh yeah, BMW also pulling out of F1 by the end of the year! that was the biggest shocker for me, even more than Schumi returning to F1...

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Fan

Normally, I agree, rules are rules but in these exceptional circumstances, I feel that denying him the opportunity would be more about saying no because it's Schumacher when it's really about making sure the safety of drivers is paramount. If Ferrari wanted to use the testing to test parts, I would say that's unfair. But they don't and it's purely about wanting Schumacher to have the experience in this current Ferrari that he will be racing in 3 weeks, so that the possibility of further driver accidents can be minimised
Quote:
Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug says his company would be happy to allow Michael Schumacher to test the 2009 Ferrari before his comeback in the European Grand Prix, and hopes rival teams take the same stance.

Ferrari has requested that an exemption to the testing ban be made to help Schumacher reacclimatise before he deputises for the injured Felipe Massa in Valencia. The former world champion last raced in Formula 1 in 2006, and last tested a contemporary car in April 2008, although he drove a 2007 F1 Ferrari fitted with GP2 tyres at Mugello on Friday.

Haug said he could see no reason why Ferrari's request should be rejected.

"Whatever we can do to support him we will do," Haug told AUTOSPORT. "I just think it is fair. This is an exception. If Michael had said he would come back under the condition that he could test, everybody would have said yes.

"His team-mate has thousands of kilometres in this car, and he has nothing. As we are fair players, why should he not get some testing? I would be very open to that.

Toro Rosso's new driver Jaime Alguersuari had to make his F1 debut in Hungary with minimal preparation due to the testing ban, but Haug thinks the young Spaniard would also have been granted an exemption if his team had asked.

"Maybe even a newcomer should get a test," said Haug. "If I would be asked to make an exception for a young guy, I would say yes.

"Giving Jaime a test would have been justifiable, but having said that I don't think there was an official request."

AUTOSPORT understands that there remains some resistance to allowing Schumacher to test the F60, although the FOTA teams are believed to support Ferrari's case.

"You will find some guys that will try to block it," Haug admitted. "But what goes around comes around. They will need some help at another stage. It's not giving people presents, it's being fair when it's justifiable."

But he reckons Schumacher will be a threat for victory whether he is permitted to test or not.

"He is good enough that he could get the job done on Friday if the car is quick," said Haug. "Michael is a competitive guy, he will prepare himself in a very mature and thorough manner.

"If the car is a potentially winning car, then he will be able to win in it. The characteristics at Valencia are not too different to Hungary."

The Mercedes chief added that Schumacher's shock return and Massa's good progress in hospital had both been huge boosts for the sport.

"This is the best thing that can happen to Formula 1," Haug said. "The best news is that Felipe is quite okay and can leave the hospital. That looked really frightening."
Source: Autosport.com

Last edited by Arbogast; 08-02-2009 at 07:48 AM
Arbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Elite Fan

I agree to an extent. Ferrari didn't choose to replace Massa, they had to. But they did choose a driver who stopped racing in F1 a few years ago, and they did choose a driver who didn't have experience in this year's car, over their reserve drivers who I think would have done (correct me if I'm wrong). That was their choice and you can't have it all your own way. At the end of the day Ferrari should be very grateful that the other teams are being so understanding and have said he can test the car for one day.

The problem is that when you start making exceptions that you're opening yourself up, other teams will want the same treatment, or be complaining that they weren't able to do the same, and some will say certain teams/drivers get special treatment. If you're going to start making exceptions then you need to make alterations to the rules to make it fair and clear. Or you simply need to stick to the rules that are in place and not allow any exceptions to the rules.

Vicky
Brucas4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Master Fan

I don't think Schumacher should be given the chance to test the F60 either, sure he hasn't tested this season's car but neither did Jamie Alguersuari. It's exactly as Vicky says - they could have picked Gene or Badoer but they didn't. And anyway Schumacher has tested the 2007 spec car so it's not like he hasn't touched a race car since he left the sport... it's not about being anti-Schumacher, it's about being fair. If other teams don't get to test, Ferrari shouldn't either.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Master Fan

I completely agree. Looks like Schumacher won't get a chance to test though cause Frank Williams said no. Hope it will be that way.

And is anyone following sidepodcast? Am I the onle one who thinks they're overreacting about the whole Schumacher thing?
perrygraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:55 AM
Master Fan

I do follow Sidepodcast (not everything though, I'm a bit confused about all their live commenting and whatnot) thanks to you! And 'Felipe Baby', the song. Anyway yes I do think they're overreacting a bit. I'm not in a position to comment about Schumacher as I didn't watch F1 in those days. I guess if they really hate him so much then OK, but to stop watching F1 completely if Todt gets the presidency over Vanaten? That seems a bit extreme. It's just a sport!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:33 AM
Elite Fan

I'm glad someone said no, it would have caused so many problems if he was allowed to test. And no I haven't been listening to sidepodcast. Is it any good?

Quote:
Massa to take time over F1 return

Ferrari's Felipe Massa insists he will not rush back to Formula 1 ahead of his return home to Brazil on Monday. "Thank God, I'm feeling very well," the 28-year-old Brazilian said in a statement. "I've only a bit of swelling in the region of my left eye. It is important to be fully recovered before returning to the track."

Massa, who will undergo more tests in Brazil, had surgery for multiple skull fractures after a crash in qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The accident appeared to be caused by a spring that had fallen onto the track's racing line from Rubens Barrichello's Brawn and collided with Massa's helmet. With Massa no longer steering and the throttle still engaged, the car then crossed the gravel before hitting a tyre wall.

He is expected to continue his rehabilitation in a Sao Paulo hospital for another two days upon his arrival in his home city on Monday evening.

After undergoing further tests he is then likely to be allowed to go home.
Source: BBC

I know this isn't F1 but it is Kimi related so thought I'd post it.

Quote:
Crash ends Raikkonen's WRC debut

Kimi Raikkonen's debut in the World Rally Championship came to an end after the former Formula 1 champion crashed out of stage 19 of the Rally Finland. The Finn was 15th overall when he rolled his Abarth Grande Punto off the road on Saturday's final stage. He and co-driver Kaj Lindstrom were unhurt, although they narrowly missed the car of Mads Ostberg who had gone off at the same point moments earlier.

The damage to Raikkonen's car prevented the Ferrari driver returning on Sunday. Raikkonen has appeared in three non-championship rallies this season, and a four-week break between the Hungarian Grand Prix and the European Grand Prix in Valencia on 21 August has allowed him to step up his involvement.

In a disappointing F1 season, Raikkonen has won just 10 points in the drivers' championship and 54 behind leader Jenson Button.

But his speed in the second-tier Super 2000 machine impressed as he climbed up to third in the category before his error ended his race. Raikkonen's compatriot Mikko Hirvonen secured a victory for the home fans coming home 25 seconds ahead of title rival Sebastian Loeb.

World champion Loeb, who lost more than 10 seconds after damaging his rear tyre in a pothole on a hairpin on stage 15, now trails Hirvonen by three points in the overall standings.

Raikkonen was not the only F1 driver at the Finland Rally with Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel watching from the sidelines. "I've plenty to do in F1, but who know maybe one day I will compete in the WRC - I wouldn't mind doing some drives in the future," Vettel told the World Rally Championship website.

And congrats to Jensen for competing in the triathlon and raising all that money.

Quote:
I'm not in a position to comment about Schumacher as I didn't watch F1 in those days. I guess if they really hate him so much then OK, but to stop watching F1 completely if Todt gets the presidency over Vanaten? That seems a bit extreme. It's just a sport!
I couldn't stand him back when he was racing, I'll never forget him ramming Damon like that, at least he got punished for that, or when he was on pole for Monaco so to stop anyone from taking it away from him literally on the last corner he just put his car into the wall, and that ruined everyone else's laps. He did get in trouble for that thankfully too. If you're a great driver then you shouldn't be resorting to things like that though. As for the Jean Todt thing I wouldn't stop watching but I can understand some people's worries regarding him going for president, he has such a strong allegience with Ferrari that every decision he makes is bound to be analysed and anything that may benefit Ferrari of course is going to lead him to be accused of favouritism. Personally I think it's better to have someone with no allegience to any of the teams.

Vicky

Last edited by Brucas4life; 08-03-2009 at 04:40 AM
Old 08-03-2009, 04:48 AM
Master Fan

Vatanen would be so much more the better candidate for the FIA president than Jean Todt cause he's simply not attached to any F1 teams. I don't think Jean Todt is a bad candidate though but I don't want a candidate from Mosley or Ecclestone to win. Frankly I want those both out of F1 completely and asap. The sooner the better.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrygraham (View Post)
Vatanen would be so much more the better candidate for the FIA president than Jean Todt cause he's simply not attached to any F1 teams. I don't think Jean Todt is a bad candidate though but I don't want a candidate from Mosley or Ecclestone to win. Frankly I want those both out of F1 completely and asap. The sooner the better.
Totally agree with everything you said.

Vicky
Old 08-03-2009, 05:07 AM
Addicted Fan

Okay, yesterday there were some false statements supposedly said by Felipe Massa. The only interview he gave was only released today by Ferrari. And here it is:
Quote:
Conducted and provided by Ferrari's press office.

Q. How do you feel? What do you remember from the accident?

Felipe Massa: "It is sort of a strange feeling. I know exactly what happened, that a spring came off Rubens' car and hit me on the helmet. I know that something happened to me, but I didn't feel anything when it happened. They told me that I lost consciousness at the moment of the spring's impact on my helmet and I ran into the barriers, then I woke up in hospital two days later.

"I don't remember anything and that's why what the doctors did had to be explained to me. When I saw Rob (Smedley, his race engineer), he asked me if I remembered Rubens, but the last thing I remembered was when I was behind him at the end of my fast lap in Q2, and than it's blank. It's difficult to explain. I'm feeling much better now and I want to recover as soon as possible to get back behind the wheel of a Ferrari."

Q. Do you want to thank anyone?

FM: "First of all I want to thank God. Then I want to thank the doctors at the race track and at Budapest's AEK hospital, who have done a lot for me, and Dino Altmann, who came with my family from Brazil and who was extraordinary over the last days. But I also want to thank everybody who prayed and who wrote to me via my own and Ferrari's website, hoping that everything went well.

"So many people wrote to me, also many who aren't interested in Formula 1, but had heard about what happened to me: thank you so much and I want to tell them that I'm praying also for them. I would have done the same if an accident had happened to another driver: I would have prayed for him that everything went well."

Q. How much help was the fact that your family was here over the last days?

FM: "My family is important to me. They have always been close to me during my career, victories and defeats, and the most difficult moments. There was only Edoardo at Budapest, but when the accident happened Raffaela, my father, my mother and then my sister came to Hungary. I know that they've suffered a lot and I want to thank them.

"And then there's another family I have to thank: the Ferrari family. They were great, they helped us in any possible way and it's a great thing to be part of this group."

Q. What's your first wish when you get back to Brazil?

FM: "Coming back to my home, checking that everything is as it was before. Many things have happened over the last days and I want to get back to a normal life. I want to get back into the best possible condition, doing things you do every day."

Q. For a while your car will be driven by Michael Schumacher: do you have any advice for him?

FM: "Michael doesn't need my advice! It was him who gave me many tips during my career when we were racing together. He knows how to win, he knows how to drive and he's great: it was the best choice handing over the car to such a fantastic person and I'm sure that everybody will be happy to see him back on the track again. Although I hope I'll be back on the track with Ferrari as soon as possible."

I would like Jean Todt for the presidency of FIA. I think he is a good candidate, most importantly he's not just a businessman, he actually knows about the sport. Not only he knows about it, he has a great history in it, he was one of the greatest team boss in recent history of Formula 1. So yes, I do think he's a good candidate. And he isn't a candidate from Mosley or Bernie. Mosley only said he supported him because he wanted (once again) to start an internal fight in FOTA. The only bad thing about Todt being the president is that any decision the FIA makes that benefits Ferrari will immediately be interpreted by the anti-Ferrari as favouritism.
But I'm just thankful that Mosley will finally be out of picture, which should have happened since that infamous incident last year.
And about Bernie, no, I think he's an important figure in F1 and, in fact, I think that he's partially responsible for the agreement between FIA and FOTA. So I don't want him out of F1 at all. At least not for now, I think he's an important figure for F1 as business and as a sport too.
"Grace is what matters. In anything, especially life, especially growth, tragedy, pain, love, death. That's a quality I admire very greatly. It keeps you from reaching for the gun too quickly, it keeps you from destroying things too foolishly. And sort of keeps you alive."
Old 08-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Master Fan

It's enough for me that Mosley supports Todt to not want him as the new FIA president. Plus, like you said, whenever Todt would make a decision in favour of Ferrari, fair or not, people would say he's not independent. So Vatanen gets my votes cause he is actually a great guy with a lot of experience in motorsport and, which is important to me, he actually raced himself and I think he will make decisions for the drivers.

Great to hear that Felipe is doing better. Speedy recovery for him.
Quote:
He knows how to win, he knows how to drive and he's great: it was the best choice handing over the car to such a fantastic person and I'm sure that everybody will be happy to see him back on the track again.
I'm not sure about that lol.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Elite Fan

Here's a video of Massa's interview. Not sure if it's just viewable in the UK but try it anyway.

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Massa's first interview since crash

Vicky
Old 08-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Addicted Fan

Yeah, I had watched the interview in Portuguese in Brazilian television. But in case people outside the UK can't watch the video that Vicky posted, here it is on Youtube:

YouTube - Massa's first interview after the accident
Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Elite Fan

More about Williams objecting to Schumacher being allowed to test:

Quote:
Williams block Schumacher testing

Michael Schumacher's bid to test Ferrari's 2009 car ahead of his Formula 1 return has been blocked by Williams. Ferrari had written to the other nine teams and the sport's governing body, the FIA, asking for the German to be granted a day at the wheel of the F60. But Williams insist in-season circuit testing must remain strictly prohibited, as FIA rules dictate.

Schumacher returns to racing at the European Grand Prix on 23 August in the absence of the injured Felipe Massa. Though the 40-year-old began his preparations by driving a 2007 Ferrari at the team's Mugello test track on Friday, in-season testing with this season's cars is banned under current regulations.

The other seven members of the Formula One Teams' Association (Fota) - McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Brawn GP, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso - were, given the circumstances, prepared to overlook that and give Schumacher and his Italian team the green light. Ferrari have said the German, who won a record 91 grands prix in a 15-year career, will stand in for Massa until the Brazilian is fit enough to make a return after suffering a fractured skull in an accident during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Yet Williams say seven-time world champion Schumacher should not be given special dispensation, citing the recent arrival of 19-year-old rookie Jaime Alguersuari into F1 when he replaced Sebastien Bourdais for Toro Rosso. "While we welcome Michael Schumacher back to F1, the fact is any form of in-season circuit testing is strictly prohibited, a regulation clearly laid out by the FIA and adhered to by all of the teams," said Williams in a statement.

"It was for this reason Alguersuari, who drove an F1 car for the first time in Hungary, did not have the opportunity to familiarise himself with the Toro Rosso before he made his race debut. Williams sees no distinction between Alguersuari's situation and Schumacher's and feels any deviation from the rule would create a precedent for the future."

Williams also pointed out that Ferrari chose Schumacher over current test drivers Luca Badoer and Marc Gene, who have both tested the team's 2009 model. "In a similar situation, Williams would unhesitatingly use its current test driver," added Williams. "For the sake of consistency and fairness, therefore, we oppose Ferrari's proposal to test ahead of the European Grand Prix."

But Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug told autosport.com that his company would be happy to allow Michael Schumacher to test the 2009 Ferrari before his comeback, and that he hoped rival teams take the same stance.

"Whatever we can do to support him we will do," he said. "I just think it is fair. This is an exception. If Michael had said he would come back under the condition that he could test, everybody would have said yes. His team-mate has thousands of kilometres in this car, and he has nothing. As we are fair players, why should he not get some testing? I would be very open to that."

And Piquet obviously isn't very happy judging from this:

Quote:
Piquet Jr dropped by Renault team

Nelson Piquet Jr has been told by Renault he will not continue driving for them in Formula 1 this season. The 23-year-old has had 28 races in F1 without recording a win and has not won a point in his 10 races this season.

"I have received notice from Renault of its intention to stop me from driving for them in the current F1 season," read a statement on his website.

Piquet described this season as "the worst period of my career" and has criticised team boss Flavio Briatore.

"I believe without doubt in my talent and my performance," said the Brazilian, who finished second to current F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton in the 2006 GP2 championship. "I didn't get this far by getting bad results. Anyone who knows my history knows the results I am having in F1 do not match my CV and my ability. The conditions I have had to deal with during the last two years have been very strange to say the least - there are incidents that I can hardly believe occurred myself. If I now need to give explanations, I am certain it is because of the unfair situation I have been in in the past two years. I always believed that having a manager was being a part of a team and having a partner. A manager is supposed to encourage you, support you, and provide you with opportunities. In my case it was the opposite - Flavio Briatore was my executioner." He added: "I am a team player and there are dozens of people I have worked with in my career who would vouch for my character and talent, except unfortunately the person that has had the most influence on my career in F1." Piquet also accused the Italian of behaving unfairly towards him during his time driving alongside two-time world champion Fernando Alonso. "On numerous occasions, 15 minutes before qualifying and races, my manager and team boss would threaten me, telling me if I didn't get a good result, he had another driver ready to put in my place."

Piquet Jr - whose father Nelson Piquet was F1 world champion in 1981, 1983 and 1987 - vowed to remain in motorsport but did not specify whether he would stay racing within F1.

"I feel a sense of relief for the end of the worst period of my career, and the possibility that I can now move on and put my career back on the right track and try to recover my reputation of a fast, winning driver," he said.

Piquet Jr's replacement is unknown as yet though Renault test driver Romain Grosjean is expected to be in contention.

Vicky

Last edited by Brucas4life; 08-03-2009 at 10:58 AM
Reply   Post New Thread