Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Elite Fan

Well that certainly wasn't a boring qualifying session. It's terrible what happened to Massa though and I really hope he is okay and back racing soon. I heard he his going to have surgery after suffering skull damage but fingers crossed he will be fine. It's worrying when you think about what just happened to Surtee just the other week.

It was just madness at the end. I've never seen anything like it. No one knowing who was where on the grid and all swapping lap times to work it out. TV viewers didn't know, commentaters didn't know and even the drivers didn't know. Pure chaos

So happy for Hamilton, 4th is a great place to be, especially with the KERS on his car, should mean he gets a good start, let's hope he makes it passed the first corner this time. And Kovalainen had me worried a few times by how close he came to dropping out but thankfully he has done quite well too.

I hope the race is exciting even though I'm not expecting much overtaking.

Vicky
Brucas4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Supreme Fan

YES!!!! I am so so happy. I was beginning to think a pole wasn't going to happen for Lewis this season, but first place... I'm ecstatic for him, but Jenson's championship seems to slipping away. I adore how supportive these two are of each other though. It's just so sweet.

Do we know if Mark Webbers 3rd place is safe? Or is there an investigation into him pulling out into Rosberg's path in the pits?

Are there any more updates on Massa today? I missed the first half hour where the commentators just talk through everything. Is he concious again now? I was so worried for him yesterday. I really like Felipe, he seems like such a nice man. Qualifying yesterday just reminded me how dangerous this sport is.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Total Fan

^The surgery went well but they have to keep him asleep for 48 hours, although his family arrived today and he was temporarily woken up for them a little bit.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Supreme Fan

Oh good, i'm so glad he's doing better. I was really worried for him. Thanks hun!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Total Fan

That's what Rubens wrote on his Twitter today:

Quote:
"Good news.Felipe had a good night and react ok when he saw his parents.For a better recovery they will keep him asleep"

"I am happy with Felipe's condition.his family thanks everyone that send messages here on Twitter"
I was also there at the hospital today. Just got back not that long ago actually. I felt like I needed to do something, not that it would have changed anything, but since I live close anyway, I just went.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Elite Fan

Aw I'm glad it's looking good for Felipe. He's such a nice guy and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

As for the race I'm still on cloud nine. Finally something for me to celebrate, I knew he would have a good start but everything just seemed to come together for him and he drove so well. I love how happy he was, it must feel so good to not just finally have a car that actually feels good to drive but to actually win a race again. I loved it. I was so worried he was going to go out first corner again but thank goodness that didn't happen.

I hear Renault have been banned from the next race for releasing Alonso knowing the tyre wasn't attached properly and then letting him leave the pit lane and fail to inform him of the problem. But Renault are going to try and appeal. I was so relieved when the tyre came off it didn't hit anyone and just bounced off the track.

Vicky
Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Master Fan

Hi guys, I missed qualifying and the race because I was too sick to get out of bed (am still sick but feeling better). I did see replays of Massa's accident though - that was horrible. Speedy recovery, Massa. Anyway what happened in the race? Renault are suspended? What? And congratulations to Lewis Hamilton for making the title race more interesting
Old 07-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Addicted Fan

Wow, it's been a while since I've been here.

Anyway... I just want to stop by and let you guys know that Felipe is still in induced coma, but he will be woken tomorrow for some more tests and he will probably be transferred to a clinic in Paris owned by the doctor who operated on Schumacher when he had his accident in England.
As a Brazilian F1 fan, I can say that the whole country is really worried about him, but we're all thinking positive and praying for him. All the Brazilian media is focused on giving us the news on Felipe's status and thank God the latest news are good.
"Grace is what matters. In anything, especially life, especially growth, tragedy, pain, love, death. That's a quality I admire very greatly. It keeps you from reaching for the gun too quickly, it keeps you from destroying things too foolishly. And sort of keeps you alive."
-Supersonic- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Addicted Fan

That was definitely an eventful race weekend.
I couldnt believe the extent of Felipe's accident, i didnt realise how serious it was because the footage wasnt shown for ages so when i saw what happened i couldnt believe it, i really hope he's better soon
At the end of qualifying when there were no times and the commentators, viewers and even drivers didnt know who was in what position was madness, it was so funny but quite annoying haha!
I am so ecstatic for Lewis i really am His celebration was so lovely to see, especially over the radio because you could see how much it meant to him, obviously he loved winning before but because he hasnt for ages, you could tell how much more he appreciated it! He really deserves it, it's great to see him finally liking his car, it will be interesting if he could shake up the championship a bit. It does seem to be slipping away from Jenson a bit, hopefully the problems with the Brawn cars can get sorted. I love Jenson and Lewis' support for each other, it's great to see two Brits doing well
I did think the ban for Renault was a bit drastic but it made you realise how dangerous the sport is after the death of Henry Surtess and Massa's accident so they are probably more uptight than they would have been before that.

icon: utterly indecent
Hannah.
thatsnotmyname-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:51 AM
Master Fan

Thanks David - it's great to hear updates. It was a horrifying accident and everybody wants him to have a speedy recovery.

I was thinking - should we change the title of the thread to reflect Massa's accident and our wish to see him get well? Maybe something like:

Strength, Felipe - We're With You (I'm not sure if that's the direct translation of Ferrari crew members' message - that icon of yours, David!)
or simply Get Well Soon, Felipe
Or something else.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Addicted Fan

I think that's a great idea to show our appreciation to him, that would be really nice

Hannah.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Elite Fan

I think that's a good idea too.

They say he's no longer critical which is good, but they did say he has suffered eye damage but they haven't said to what extent. Obviously the main priority is him getting well and healthy again, but I really do hope the eye damage is nothing major and once he is recovered he'll be able to race again. All the drivers love him, he is such a great guy, it's just terrible that this happened.

Vicky
Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Addicted Fan

Yeah the doctors said they dont know what's going to happen in the future like with regards to his driving, but i really really hope he can drive again.
I saw in the paper a photo of his helmet and the cut on his eye, it's really terrible, i couldnt believe it.
David Coulthard said that the helmets are 10% more protective than they were last year and if he had an old one on, he probably would have died,
I still cant believe how serious the accdient was, i didnt think it was that bad at first, but now i still cant get my head round it!

Hannah.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Addicted Fan

That'd be really cool, Gwen. And, yes, "Strength, Felipe - We're With You" is the direct translation of my icon. Should we PM the mod to change the title?

The doctor said today that his eye wasn't morphologically affected and that anything said about his sight at the moment is pure speculation. They will only know if his sight was affected when he's able to open his left eye. But the doctor said that he doesn't see any reasons for him not to see again, since he apparently didn't have any neurological damages.
Also, we had some great news today. Felipe has been taken off the medication that kept him in induced come and he woke up. He recognized his family, he could see with the right eye (he still can't open the left eye, which is obviously normal, since that area has been recently operated) and he even talked. He asked what happened, he asked what time was it among many other things. He even told his brother off for holding his hand when he tried to pull his nose catheter. So, yes, he seems to be improving a lot and the doctors are really optimistic.
"Grace is what matters. In anything, especially life, especially growth, tragedy, pain, love, death. That's a quality I admire very greatly. It keeps you from reaching for the gun too quickly, it keeps you from destroying things too foolishly. And sort of keeps you alive."
-Supersonic- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Master Fan

Fixed the title! That's a surprise, I thought we needed the mods to do it - apparently not. Does it work for all of you? And I must say, when I first read the translation of the quote I teared up a little. I don't know, it's just the use of the word "strength" that made me a bit emotional

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Supersonic- (View Post)
Also, we had some great news today. Felipe has been taken off the medication that kept him in induced come and he woke up. He recognized his family, he could see with the right eye (he still can't open the left eye, which is obviously normal, since that area has been recently operated) and he even talked. He asked what happened, he asked what time was it among many other things. He even told his brother off for holding his hand when he tried to pull his nose catheter. So, yes, he seems to be improving a lot and the doctors are really optimistic.
That is amazing. at the thought of him telling off his brother. It's great, really great news - I'm so happy. Yeah I read about the eye damage too, I was afraid he would be blind (or partially) in his left eye so it's really, really good to hear that it may not be so bad after all. On a slightly random note, Christine over at Sidepodcast recently did a Safety minseries on the blog and it's kind of eerie how important it would come to be only a few weeks later (ie, now). A newspaper article said that Felipe was saved by his helmet and his Hans device and I just read about that recently in her miniseries... it's kind of odd. But it really does make you thankful that the sport is so much safer now.