Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
I hadn't heard that tidbit from Bruno - nice to know! Of course, they have said that this season is going to make the fans happy - so I'm just hoping they don't make it too sappy!

I'm with you on the names. They are Lisbon and Jane to me, and to each other. I won't mind if "Patrick" comes out occasionally - but even when they are alone, I expect her to call him Jane.
I'm a touch worried on that because I felt that a few little things in the finale seemed a bit over the top (like Jane repeatedly shouting that he loved Lisbon to the people on the plane. I know people loved that, and maybe I'm just odd, but that felt a little 'much' to me). BUT that was a very emotional finale and that doesn't mean that they'll be like that all the time. I'm fine with the occasional sappy line, after all, Jane hasn't let himself love anyone in over a decade, but I don't want the season to be like some corny movie. But I have faith in the writers.

And yeah, she's referred to him as Patrick before and he's called her Teresa, but they ARE Jane and Lisbon to me. Like on JAG - Harm called Mac "Sarah" in a few of their serious moments, but even after they got together, it was "I love you, Mac." "Mac and I have an announcement," etc. He didn't switch over to the first name because that's not who he knows her as. Even though most people in their lives call her Mac, that's the familar name, that's the intimate name, that's HER name and that's how he calls her. I would have been a bit weirded out (in a 'this is odd' way) had he automatically switched to "Sarah" because that would almost seem like he saw her as a different person - or that she WAS a different person - once they got together. But they weren't. He fell in love with Mac, he knows Mac, so she remained Mac. And for the same reason, I want Jane and Lisbon to keep calling each other primarily what they always have.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love your analogy with Mac/Harm. It is very much the same thing and JAG handled it very well. It would have been completely wrong for Harm to suddenly start calling Mac Sarah all the time. Almost as if he was addressing a stranger.

~Heidi
Old 09-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
I love your analogy with Mac/Harm. It is very much the same thing and JAG handled it very well. It would have been completely wrong for Harm to suddenly start calling Mac Sarah all the time. Almost as if he was addressing a stranger.
I gotta tell you when I thought to use that as an example I got so excited because THIS IS THE SAME SCENARIO and HEIDI WILL COMPLETELY GET IT.

(I've had a few people on Tumblr think that my views on the last name thing somehow means I don't ship them - so going on record once again, Mac and Harm are far and away my favorite ship of all time so a comparison between them and Jane and Lisbon, coming from me, is a huge compliment. )

Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

I love slow build up couples. I watch Bones and Castle too, and The X Files is on my list, as well as JAG. Do you think I'll like those shows too?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysCB (View Post)
I love slow build up couples. I watch Bones and Castle too, and The X Files is on my list, as well as JAG. Do you think I'll like those shows too?
If you like slow buildup, you will probably like JAG, yes. Mac and Harm are a strongly written couple that had years of buildup (and it was strongly built - from the first time one of them was mentioned to be in love with the other to the time they actually said it to each other? Six years. But there was so much goodness in the interim.) I haven't seen X Files but I'm sure Heidi would recommend it.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The X-Files practically invented the term Unresolved Sexual Tension (UST), so if you like slow build-up, you'll get it. The Mulder/Scully relationship built up very slowly and really didn't get fully confirmed until the tenth and final season. If you decide to watch it, be sure to watch the first movie between the fifth and sixth season. It's integral to the relationship and includes the first absolute proof to us "shippers" that M/S had feelings beyond friendship for each other.

The X-Files, however, is primarily a science-fiction-ish show about paranormal phenomenon and global conspiracies. So you need to have some enjoyment of that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
(I've had a few people on Tumblr think that my views on the last name thing somehow means I don't ship them - so going on record once again, Mac and Harm are far and away my favorite ship of all time so a comparison between them and Jane and Lisbon, coming from me, is a huge compliment. )
My first thought when I saw your comparison was, "Nicole is comparing Jane/Lisbon to Mac/Harm!! This is serious!"

~Heidi
Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well I suppose I'm not comparing them as ships, but comparing the situations! But still!

Old 09-19-2014, 12:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I liked the slow build up of Jane and Lisbon but I wish we'd gotten a bit more of "romantic clues" before they gotten together, that'd have made it more painful but I like it that way

Quote:
And yeah, she's referred to him as Patrick
I really hope we get her calling him Patrick for real once in season 7!
Because she has only said it when introducing him, once when she first met him and once when she said "Patrick Jane, you were trying to help me." So what I really want is a moment where she calls him Patrick. Just one

Quote:
a few little things in the finale seemed a bit over the top (like Jane repeatedly shouting that he loved Lisbon to the people on the plane. I know people loved that, and maybe I'm just odd, but that felt a little 'much' to me)
I agree. Their story didn't really "need" that and it was a bit OTT. The actors made it work but it was a bit OOC for Jane and Lisbon. I liked the more subtle moments like Jane saying he couldn't think of not seeing her everyday. For some reason that was more touching to me than him screaming he loved her.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Jane needed to say "I love you" to Lisbon. The part about not seeing her everyday was very sweet and romantic and just very, very Jane. But Lisbon (and the fans) needed to hear that simple and unequivocal "I love you". Nothing else, at that point, would have been enough to get Lisbon off the plane.

Further, I agree that, even though Jane shouting "I love that woman" to the rest of the plane was a bit OOC - if you think about it - the whole scene is a very OOC moment for Jane - and that's kind of the whole point. He's finally come to a personal epiphany that causes him to do some really crazy things - crazy even for Jane. I think those "out there" bits are part of what made it all hit home for Lisbon as well. As such, they were just as necessary to the scene and the story as "it makes me happy to be able to say that to you". They are part of a revelation that both characters needed to get to the point they are at by the end of the episode.

~Heidi
Old 09-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I'd have liked more clues. They'd talked in articles so much of how strange it feels to realize that the person you have been platonic with so long is someone you have fallen in love with. So I wish there had been some sort of acknowledgement of that.

I agree, Heidi, that everyone needed to hear the "I love you" bit despite it being a big moment for Jane, I still feel it was a bit OTT to then yell it at the entire plane. It worked for that scene but I hope next year is...well not as OTT as that scene was.

But like you said Mai-my favorite part was his thing about not being able to wake up knowing with certaintythat sshe'd be a part of his day.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Jane needed to say "I love you" to Lisbon.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree completely. That needed to be said. Like Jane said, Lisbon deserved to hear it, especially since he had taken it back last time.

Quote:
the whole scene is a very OOC moment for Jane - and that's kind of the whole point. He's finally come to a personal epiphany that causes him to do some really crazy things - crazy even for Jane.
I think just saying "I love you" was radical enough to show that he wanted it enough, and a big moment for him. He didn't need to do the whole rom-com chasing the plane scenario. The Mentalist just doesn't seem like that kind of show. I'm not going to complain, I LOVED that scene, but it was just a bit off, not only for Jane, but for the style of the show.

Quote:
Yeah I'd have liked more clues. They'd talked in articles so much of how strange it feels to realize that the person you have been platonic with so long is someone you have fallen in love with. So I wish there had been some sort of acknowledgement of that.
A couple of real flirting scenes would've been nice. Because the ones they had were pretty ambiguous.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maité (View Post)
I think just saying "I love you" was radical enough to show that he wanted it enough, and a big moment for him. He didn't need to do the whole rom-com chasing the plane scenario. The Mentalist just doesn't seem like that kind of show. I'm not going to complain, I LOVED that scene, but it was just a bit off, not only for Jane, but for the style of the show.
Yeah, I agree. I mean it was...so Friends?...I guess? I don't know, I know Jane needed to really, really prove it, but it just seemed off in how they did it, mostly for the style of the show, but for Jane as well.

I think the reason I'm worried next season might have a similar feel is...I mean, let's be honest here, they thought they were cancelled when they wrote Blue Bird. They didn't know they were renewed until nine days before it aired and things were looking pretty bleak for a while. So they wanted to satisfy the fans as much as they could - and since they said season seven was going to be about satisfying the fans...I'm a bit scared. It was fine for Blue Bird because that was a very emotional, strained situation, but I hope they go back to the tone of the show for next year.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Yeah, I agree. I mean it was...so Friends?...I guess? I don't know, I know Jane needed to really, really prove it, but it just seemed off in how they did it, mostly for the style of the show, but for Jane as well.

I think the reason I'm worried next season might have a similar feel is...I mean, let's be honest here, they thought they were cancelled when they wrote Blue Bird. They didn't know they were renewed until nine days before it aired and things were looking pretty bleak for a while. So they wanted to satisfy the fans as much as they could - and since they said season seven was going to be about satisfying the fans...I'm a bit scared. It was fine for Blue Bird because that was a very emotional, strained situation, but I hope they go back to the tone of the show for next year.
I can deal with the anomaly of Jane's actions in Blue Bird, and for me, they still seem to be a reasonably believable anomaly given the events. But I don't want to see any more of that in Season 7. If these two are going to be a couple in season 7 - and I want them to be a couple in love like I want air to breathe - I need them to be a couple as their true selves - not an overwrought, overemotional, sappy version of themselves.

I do find it interesting - and a cause for hope - that while Jane was going off the rails - character wise - in those scenes, Lisbon seems to be much more true to character. She gets emotional, of course - but in a restrained, Lisbon way. She apologizes and is slightly embarrassed by the scene that Jane is making. And she initially sticks to her decision and tells him that he is too late - another very Lisbon thing to do. For all that she has forgiven Jane innumerable times for innumerable things, Lisbon is not one to back down from a decision once she makes it. Then when she confronts him - and it is a confrontation, however romantic it may seem - she is still the no-nonsense, give-it-to-me-straight Lisbon.

All that gives me hope that somehow, the writers understand that what will truly satisfy the fans is to see the real Jane and Lisbon in love; not some romanticized version of the characters that could Raspberry awards on Fanfiction.net.

~Heidi
Old 09-20-2014, 08:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Agreed Heidi. I want to see Jane and Lisbon (as they are) in love. Of course they'd act a bit different in a relationship, but I want them to still be them. Well, Jane should be more honest, that's a given. But I think he's in the right path.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maité (View Post)
Agreed Heidi. I want to see Jane and Lisbon (as they are) in love. Of course they'd act a bit different in a relationship, but I want them to still be them. Well, Jane should be more honest, that's a given. But I think he's in the right path.
Yeah, they can still be recognizeable while being a couple. I feel like there should be scenes with them that if you watch that scene individually you can't tell if they're really good friends or in a relationship. Not all or even most of the scenes, but there should be some.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread