Of you but I don't want to
Just gotta say it all before I go
Just so you know, just so you know

Thought you should know
I've tried my best to let go
Of you but I don't want to
Just gotta say it all before I go
Just so you know, just so you know
Definitely! It always did make me think of them. I have to dig up my playlist...

Hahaha guys I made a video of that song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr7WY...ature=youtu.be

"And you think I should choose life?"
Evelyn = In Hebrew the meaning of the name Evelyn is: Life.

Last edited by lassothemoon; 11-27-2013 at 04:49 PM
Old 11-28-2013, 04:11 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassothemoon (View Post)
Oh I'm sure he does! We just haven't seen that because he's not the focal point of the show. It's post WW1, he's alive, handsome, and rich, so of course he has options--but obviously he didn't take any of them, which is telling.

This could be an opportunity to show that he is super eligible, because of his money and position, and if Mary saw that, it might get her to rethink. I mean I think he'd wait forever for her, but she might question what would happen if he didn't. She'd lose that constant presence that he's been throughout the years..which is why she didn't say anything in regards to his almost confession. She didn't want to complicate things when she's not ready and risk her one real friendship she's had over the years ( besides like Anna and Carson ).
Love the idea of Evelyn coming back as a Viscount. A nice touch considering the CS is set during the deb season. Though I worry about JF not writing it to my satisfaction (lol) and letting the whole thing seem pitiful, like, he suddenly becomes desirable to Mary because she's envious of another girl on his arm. We need to see some concrete stuff about their friendship so that Mary's fear of losing him -- as a three-dimensional human being, not just an old comfort to tide over her loneliness -- would be very clear. And let it progress realistically out of respect for Matthew. No marriage proposal or massive confession of eternal love. Just...just a realization that she cares for Evelyn more deeply than she knew.

All I really want, tbh, is longer and well-written scenes between them no matter what happens. And if she is to let him go, then proper closure. Even Sir Richard was granted that much.

I've just come from browsing the discussion on IMDB and it bothered me that he's generally seen as a pushover because he doesn't fight for what he wants.
Evelyn does have some fight in him. He managed to persuade an extremely dismissive Charles that they should accept the Crawleys' invitation to stay at Downton (you can so tell they argued about it), and then continued to demand courtesy from him toward the family. I just think he chooses his battles wisely. More importantly, Evelyn is averse to *pointless* confrontation, often because he tries to see the good in people and understand their perspective before letting it come to arms. You can break that down to almost every interaction he's had in the story -- with Kemal, with Charles, even with Edith. And sometimes he simply knows taking a swing won't help at all. He could have made some snide remark to Mary after Charles brushed him off with the "people like you and me are infuriating" conversation. He didn't. That's important. I know he was caught off guard in that moment, but it isn't a matter of being too slow to shoot out a comeback. The choice to apologize for Charles offending her was also there and he didn't do that either. His instinct is to assess before speaking.

It's just sad how Evelyn's being in the background is considered his biggest weakness. He's not the type to beat his chest for attention. Nothing wrong with that. If only JF would let us into his mind a bit more...The CS has to do this or else his storyline will unravel into a lost cause.

One more thing, I have to say, I stand corrected from my post in the old thread about the theme music. I think it was lassothemoon who said Evelyn has his own theme. So true. And when she kisses his cheek in the library, and the music fades out with three little piano notes, and his face is all WHAT SHE KISSED ME THIS IS BETTER THAN EXPECTED... Lovely. It's only played one more time in the whole series, when he arrives with the car.

Apologies for babbling on and on. I didn't get to experience this with Matthew because I only started watching DA this year, and literally saw it backwards from the S3 finale to S1. (Long story, don't ask.) So I am super super invested in Mary/Evelyn happening.

Edit:
Well done on the videos everyone. Fuel to my fire! Haha

Last edited by ediedoyle; 11-28-2013 at 04:24 AM
Old 11-28-2013, 06:27 AM
Dedicated Fan

So agreed! He has a quiet, very reserved strength of mind, of character, but it is a strength. Remember he was a diplomat, which would have cultivated that if it was already there. That would come in handy if ( cough when ) Mary and Tom had to do battle with Robert on their ideas about the estate.

I wouldn't say it's all up to the CS--because I do think the bulk of the 'romance' will come season 5, but on my wish list are scenes like you described. She does need to realize that she can lose him and what that means. Because we do know she values him greatly. If she didn't, she wouldn't have spared his feelings, or tried to, in that scene when they were walking in the gardens. That first scene is why I'm so convinced that it's him--it's like JF is trying to tell us that while attempting not to make it so obvious.

I'm going to write a little drabble about this, but a scene I'd like to see is Gillingham and Blake both wanting to dance with her, and Evelyn stepping over and giving her an out, and while they're dancing she gives him a report of what's going on, and THEN we get a bit of, not so much a confession, but some sort of heartfelt compliment that sort of throws her off guard. Then the dance ends and he goes back to another girl which shakes her.

You know, I think it's the same with me, because I started watching it right before S3 started. So yeah, this ship gives me massive feels.

And thanks! If anyone has any more ideas, shoot them my way! I'm playing around with movie maker.

Last edited by lassothemoon; 11-28-2013 at 06:55 AM
Old 11-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Addicted Fan

I'm loving the new Evelyn/Mary vids too, thank you so much! The fanfics are cool too. Like someone else said it is something to keep us going until the CS. Although, I doubt much will progress with Mary and her suitors until s5 which is kinda annoying. I'm still always hopeful of the Mary/Evelyn relationship, I didn't realise until recently that JF was called Evelyn by his mother-in-law, I wonder if he has based Evelyn on himself and Mary on his wife. I liked the story of how they met at a party and he proposed a few hours after meeting her and she wrote in her diary 'A funny little man proposed to me at a party today!' lol so funny. I just wanted to add I'm enjoying not just the Evelyn/Mary scenes but also his interactions with Cora too, it is quite touching.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yup--that's another reason why I think they're happening. He said in some article that his mother-in-law always wanted her daughter ( on whom Mary is based ) to marry a man named Evelyn. Well guess what Cora wants?

All the hand touching and the almost sympathetic looks? She totally ships them LOL

Couldn't resist making this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7U7O...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by lassothemoon; 11-29-2013 at 12:43 AM
Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Yup--that's another reason why I think they're happening. He said in some article that his mother-in-law always wanted her daughter ( on whom Mary is based ) to marry a man named Evelyn. Well guess what Cora wants?

All the hand touching and the almost sympathetic looks? She totally ships them LOL

Couldn't resist making this: I won't say I'm in love - YouTube
Great job. Love all your vids. Thanks for all the effort you put in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pio231 (View Post)
I'm loving the new Evelyn/Mary vids too, thank you so much! The fanfics are cool too. Like someone else said it is something to keep us going until the CS. Although, I doubt much will progress with Mary and her suitors until s5 which is kinda annoying. I'm still always hopeful of the Mary/Evelyn relationship, I didn't realise until recently that JF was called Evelyn by his mother-in-law, I wonder if he has based Evelyn on himself and Mary on his wife. I liked the story of how they met at a party and he proposed a few hours after meeting her and she wrote in her diary 'A funny little man proposed to me at a party today!' lol so funny. I just wanted to add I'm enjoying not just the Evelyn/Mary scenes but also his interactions with Cora too, it is quite touching.
I think the Mary and her suitors situation will be resolved in the CS, pio. It's set at least 7months after the finale. So all this time Blake and Gillingham will have been courting her. Surely by then she'll start to have an idea whether she wants to marry either of them,no? Also, we saw that she was out of mourning in episode 8, so she'll probably be ready to move on in the CS. Besides, series 5 will probably have a time jump as well, so I really don't think Mary is going to lead these men on for another several months/years. Moreover, I heard JF is working on another project (The Vanderbilts for NBC) and the word is he'll probably supervise series 5 and won't write it himself. So I think he'll want to settle who Mary's next husband will be in the CS.

As for what will happen in the CS, I think that Mary and Evelyn's relationship will be out fleshed out/build up a bit. For example, unlike the other two, she won't have seen him since they left Downton Abbey, so perhaps she'll have a similar reaction to him (if he's in the CS-which he probably will be) as in episode 5 (which could show to the audience that she does care about him). Maybe she'll confide in him about the Bates/Greene thing (showing that she trusts him). I wouldn't be opposed to Mary seeing Evelyn with another woman - if she's jealous it would be helpful in making her realise what he means to her (hey it worked with Matthew-she got a bit jealous when Sybil developed a little crush on him). Regarding the suitors I hope Fellowes doesn't give them too much attention, only to show that Mary's grown bored with them/ is still indicisive and they're starting to put pressure on her to choose.

Last edited by Rastapopoulos; 11-29-2013 at 03:37 AM
Old 11-29-2013, 06:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Lol..

I also read that bit about JF's mother in law! It's sweet how he wrote it into Cora championing the Mary/Evelyn match from the sidelines.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:

lol, love it! That is one of my favourite disney songs. So cute!
Old 11-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Part-Time Fan

I love all the new vids!!!
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

#TeamPerseus
Old 11-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Dedicated Fan

Aww shucks, thanks guys!

I hope it is. It has been seven months and at this point she should be pretty fed up or ready to cut them loose. Seeing him with other women at the Season ( which is so realistic it's not even funny, there are so few men left ), should be a catalyst for her realizing how much she values him.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

The whole 7-month gap is why I find it hard to believe she'll be with either Gillingham or Blake. One of the best things about Downton is its tendency to show instead of tell. It doesn't make a lot of sense to skip the first several months of a courtship that's meant to be end game.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

#TeamPerseus
Old 11-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajblondie17 (View Post)
The whole 7-month gap is why I find it hard to believe she'll be with either Gillingham or Blake. One of the best things about Downton is its tendency to show instead of tell. It doesn't make a lot of sense to skip the first several months of a courtship that's meant to be end game.
Excellent point! And they're very much sensationalizing the whole competition aspect ( the desire of suitors comment, Edith, Isobel, and Rose at the end ), which isn't the style for Fellowes romances ( which tend to be super melodramatic --unrequited love for ten years? love through war, engagement, and scandal? ), so I'm counting on a resolution.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Addicted Fan

I was looking at imdb to see what else Brendan Patricks has been in. I watched a little bit of the first episode of Blandings on youtube. It is rather cheesy stuff but I was amused by his toff character and when he shouts 'Damn, and blast all pigs!' it made me think of the Mary/Blake pig scene lol. - I wish I were creative enough to a vid mash-up of that. haha

blandings s01e01 720p hdtv x264 tla - YouTube
Old 11-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

Oh wow. That was terrible! But his pig outburst *would* make an amazing mash up vid. Fun find!

Edited to add this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vizOe4HZtSk

^^^This is a credit card ad with Brendan Patricks showing off his magic skills.

#TeamPerseus

Last edited by ajblondie17; 11-30-2013 at 04:40 PM
Old 11-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pio231 (View Post)
I was looking at imdb to see what else Brendan Patricks has been in. I watched a little bit of the first episode of Blandings on youtube. It is rather cheesy stuff but I was amused by his toff character and when he shouts 'Damn, and blast all pigs!' it made me think of the Mary/Blake pig scene lol. - I wish I were creative enough to a vid mash-up of that. haha

blandings s01e01 720p hdtv x264 tla - YouTube
LOL Yeeees I'll do it.

And I saw that ad too! He's great.