Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Loyal Fan

Hi together!

First, i hope that there won`t be a decision about Marys suitors in season 4. However this decision finally will be, it would be too fast, if it`s decided now (in my opinion).

And well, i have to wonder...when exactly became good an honest men old-fashioned? And why does everyone just wants to have a Cowboy? Any woman at that time (at any time) should be glad to have a loving man as Napier is at her side. Mary isn`t twenty any more and she is a single mother, so there are other things that count. But that doesn`t mean, that this Kind of relationship will be boring at the end. You don`t know how Napier behaves when he feels save and more privat. Maybe you would wonder!
I am german, that`s why i haven`t been able to see the whole season yet. But i read about it and i had the luck to travel to London last Weekend, so i could see Episode 6 and 7. I especially had been curious about Marys new love interests, but both, Lord Gillingham and Blake disapointed me to be true. And i am not one of these fans who compare to Matthew all the time (life goes on). But neither Gillingham nor blake had this special chemnistry towards Mary. And on top of that i found Blake to be very unsympathetic. Why do so many people wish him to get her? When i see them together, i don`t see a couple. Can anyone explain it to me?
Well, in my eyes, Napier is the only one who suits her and maybe it`s a good sign that he isn`t mentioned that much in articles etc. They raise tension now and that`s a good way to confuse people and makes the whole thing more exciting.
In Germany there is a saying: " Wenn zwei sich streiten, freut sich der dritte." That means that, when two are arguing over something the third one will be the lucky one and finally gets it. I hope so! But i agree with you when you say, that Napier has to act now. Mary has to see more about Napier. But not in words, maybe in a kind of help or something...what do you thing?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Dedicated Fan

I really need to get my thoughts together but I wanted to put in my two cents ( again ).

The only reason I think he should put the cards on the table is because I'm getting the impression she doesn't take him seriously. So you have Gillingham who 'loves' her, Blake who might be falling in love with her ( both after two episodes *rolleyes* ), and Evelyn who has been holding a candle for her for 10 years. But I think she thinks that it's just a puppy dog crush that he wasn't able to get rid of, because the most serious thing he's ever said is, "Charles thinks I'm blind where you're concerned." That's not exactly a "Hey, I love you, I've always loved you, and I'm gonna be here because of that, as a friend, as whatever I'm needed as"--which I think is a very mature sort of love compared with how M/M started at least.

I do think that the fact they're pitting the other two against each other and making him out to be the underdog is a good sign. It creates suspense, as has been said, since the other two are the obvious choices.

And love the saying!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

We certainly seem to be the most passionate shippers around.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Dedicated Fan

Haha looks like it.

I'm going to make another fanvideo using "Young and Beautiful" from the Great Gatsby--every time I hear it it makes me think of them. I made another one with Boyce Avenue's "A Thousand Years" cover.

And I've NEVER made fanvids for anything.

I blame Fellowes and his mixed signals
Old 11-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassothemoon (View Post)
I really need to get my thoughts together but I wanted to put in my two cents ( again ).

The only reason I think he should put the cards on the table is because I'm getting the impression she doesn't take him seriously. So you have Gillingham who 'loves' her, Blake who might be falling in love with her ( both after two episodes *rolleyes* ), and Evelyn who has been holding a candle for her for 10 years. But I think she thinks that it's just a puppy dog crush that he wasn't able to get rid of, because the most serious thing he's ever said is, "Charles thinks I'm blind where you're concerned." That's not exactly a "Hey, I love you, I've always loved you, and I'm gonna be here because of that, as a friend, as whatever I'm needed as"--which I think is a very mature sort of love compared with how M/M started at least.
Yeah, but the thing is I don't think it would make a difference. It isn't a matter of not taking him seriously, she's just not interested at this point. She was uncomfortable when he said that he was blind about her (she politely smiled and then changed the subject and wanted to go back inside the house so that she wouldn't be alone with him). And had this annoyed sigh when he subtely announced his interest. Him declaring his feelings will not make her more welcoming to his attentions when his attentions aren't really wanted. And why would she think he has puppy crush on her? She knew he was interested in her 10 years ago and ended his engagement for her. He implied he still is interested despite being jilted in favor of Pamuk (and she knows that her sleeping with Pamuk was considered scandalous...I mean she was afraid to tell Matthew about it for heaven's sake). Mary's a smart woman, I'm sure she can connect the dots. No, something must happen, something to bond them (like with Charles and the pigs) for her to start seeing him in a different light or the other two suitors need to be discredited in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SannraB (View Post)
Hi together! Why do so many people wish him to get her? When i see them together, i don`t see a couple. Can anyone explain it to me?
Hi! I think so many want her to end up with Charles probably because he challenges her (which isn't particularly the case with Evelyn and Tony) and they have a slightly different dynamic to Mary/Gillingham and Mary/Napier. She's a different person with him than with the other two. The pigs and cooking eggs scenes was probably to show how this Blake guy is already changing her (for the better) and making her more of a modern aristocrat (i.e. getting her hands (and face/clothes) dirty instead of having others doing it for her). Also, modernising the Downton Abbey estate is a recurring theme and as much as I hate to say it I think that out of the three suitors Blake seems the most capable. So I don't know. Ugh I hate this...

Quote:
In Germany there is a saying: " Wenn zwei sich streiten, freut sich der dritte." That means that, when two are arguing over something the third one will be the lucky one and finally gets it. I hope so!
Great saying! I hope you're right and this is the route Fellows is going and not the boring, predictable and unoriginal tripe with Mary/Blake.

Quote:
But i agree with you when you say, that Napier has to act now. Mary has to see more about Napier. But not in words, maybe in a kind of help or something...what do you thing?
I agree. Evelyn Napier needs to be Mary's hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassothemoon (View Post)
Haha looks like it.

I blame Fellowes and his mixed signals
LOL...Tell me about it. I hope things will be clearer in episode 8 and if Napier will be in the CS. If he is, there's hope and if he isn't, then....

Last edited by Rastapopoulos; 11-05-2013 at 06:50 PM
Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hi. Newbie here, joining just to follow this thread because I also wish Mary & Evelyn could end up together. All your speculation/comments are fantastic.

I wonder if the whole love&marriage thing is still too soon for Mary and the tug of war between her and the three lads will go unresolved until S5. That being said, Evelyn still needs to step it up and DO something rather than just talk. What do you guys think he could do, though? Mary will probably enlist Tony to help Anna, and Charles has already helped with the pigs...what's left?

Have to give credit to the four actors for playing out all the mixed signals brilliantly. At this point it seems to me anything can happen.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos (View Post)
Yeah, but the thing is I don't think it would make a difference. It isn't a matter of not taking him seriously, she's just not interested at this point. She was uncomfortable when he said that he was blind about her (she politely smiled and then changed the subject and wanted to go back inside the house so that she wouldn't be alone with him). And had this annoyed sigh when he subtely announced his interest. Him declaring his feelings will not make her more welcoming to his attentions when his attentions aren't really wanted. And why would she think he has puppy crush on her? She knew he was interested in her 10 years ago and ended his engagement for her. He implied he still is interested despite being jilted in favor of Pamuk (and she knows that her sleeping with Pamuk was considered scandalous...I mean she was afraid to tell Matthew about it for heaven's sake). Mary's a smart woman, I'm sure she can connect the dots. No, something must happen, something to bond them (like with Charles and the pigs) for her to start seeing him in a different light or the other two suitors need to be discredited in some way.

Hi! I think so many want her to end up with Charles probably because he challenges her (which isn't particularly the case with Evelyn and Tony) and they have a slightly different dynamic to Mary/Gillingham and Mary/Napier. She's a different person with him than with the other two. The pigs and cooking eggs scenes was probably to show how this Blake guy is already changing her (for the better) and making her more of a modern aristocrat (i.e. getting her hands (and face/clothes) dirty instead of having others doing it for her). Also, modernising the Downton Abbey estate is a recurring theme and as much as I hate to say it I think that out of the three suitors Blake seems the most capable. So I don't know. Ugh I hate this...

Great saying! I hope you're right and this is the route Fellows is going and not the boring, predictable and unoriginal tripe with Mary/Blake.

I agree. Evelyn Napier needs to be Mary's hero.

LOL...Tell me about it. I hope things will be clearer in episode 8 and if Napier will be in the CS. If he is, there's hope and if he isn't, then....
Did he ever actually say that he ended it for her though? I have to rewatch but I just remember him saying he ended it and it "will be better in the long run" ( Gaaaah Fellowes could claim so much--fake--foreshadowing with that line alone! ), not specifically why he did it, though I honestly do think it was for her. But does she?

I still think it was more of an "Oh, another one" than "Oh, you of all people" sort of dismissal. Because I think the fact that he's honest caught her off guard, and made her think that he was going to ask something of her, like Gillingham did--that's what the scene outdoors made me think of ( it even had the same music ). And I think Fellowes did that intentionally because there's supposed to be some sort of contrast, that he isn't going to propose until ( if ever ) she's ready to accept him. But that doesn't keep him from being there and hoping that she'll think of him differently.

I do agree that there needs to be some catalyst for that to happen, but what would you suggest? There's not exactly anyone he can take a punch for at a political rally anymore

Oh the actors are so brilliant! Brendan's subtle longing, Julian Ovenden being charming and hilarious, Tom Cullen ( who's super-nice on twitter ) is great too.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Part-Time Fan

For that matter, did it ever say that he was the one to end the engagement? I just remember him telling Mary the wedding was off but no details. (Also, after going back an rewatching S1E7, I noticed that Mary had a brief look of hopefulness after Evelyn said the wedding was off and before he started talking about The Rumor.)
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

#TeamPerseus

Last edited by ajblondie17; 11-05-2013 at 10:03 PM
Old 11-06-2013, 01:47 AM
Loyal Fan

I wonder all the time about the engagement, which was dissolved (Napiers engagement). Maybe that still plays a role later on? Perhaps in relation to Charles and Gillingham? I know, I have a vivid Imagination , but everything can theoretically happen.
The other question is why JF introduced the figure Napier again. In an interview after Season 1 he said that he likes the character and that it would be not the last time we see him. And then he only plays such a minor role? It would be exciting enough if there were only two suitors, so why the third one?
In Mary's eyes something's got to change in relation to Napier. Maybe he needs a little heroic moment. I'm sure this will be in touch with the Green-Showdown. What do you think?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:27 AM
Moderator Manager

Wow. I'm going to find more online time to read all the comments here. I'm loving all the new posters here and this thread is very active. So welcome everyone and keep the comments coming! Just a reminder for spoilers, just use the spoilr tag if you'll be referencing something from a future episode.

On the side, I did wonder what if Mary doesn't end up with anyone by the end of the season? That will be a sort of relief for me, tbh.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Loyal Fan

For me too to be honest. A decision at the end of this season would be too early. We had two seasons time to see how it developed with Matthew. That was beautiful and just right.Mary had also rejected Matthew in the beginning. The journey was the reward and the other suitors should also get their time, at least with regard to the right one.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:58 AM
New Fan

While I do agree that a final decision by the end of the CS is WAY too early..
However, Mary has THREE suitors... And I really wouldn't mind seeing at least one of the other two, taken out of the equation by the end of the CS.

Just so that we get a better idea of things for S5.. I don't think I'd like to see things start off next series with things being this murky with the three of them..
Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Loyal Fan

In my opinion one will be out of game at the end. And i guess it`ll be Gillingham. Don't know why, but i have a kind of feeling. So we would start with Blake and Napier into the next season.

By the way, i haven't seen the rest of the season yet, just these two episodes. Why exactly kissed Mary Lord Gillingham? Was that really such a romatic situation?
Old 11-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

Has anyone seen this yet?

'Downton Abbey' series 4 finale: 10 picture spoilers and clues - Downton Abbey News - TV - Digital Spy

Oh lord, I'm really not getting a good feeling from this.
Spoiler:

As for the suitor situation I think the winner of the competition will be probably be revealed at the end of the CS. I don't think this love quadrangel or triangle will continue into series 5. Yeah Gillingham will be probably be one of them that is out of the picture.

Last edited by Rastapopoulos; 11-06-2013 at 09:31 AM Reason: spoiler tags
Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos (View Post)
Has anyone seen this yet?

'Downton Abbey' series 4 finale: 10 picture spoilers and clues - Downton Abbey News - TV - Digital Spy

Oh lord, I'm really not getting a good feeling from this.
Spoiler:

As for the suitor situation I think the winner of the competition will be probably be revealed at the end of the CS. I don't think this love quadrangel or triangle will continue into series 5. Yeah Gillingham will be probably be one of them that is out of the picture.
Ok, While I don't like the look of the Mary and Blake picture at the start.. (seriously my stomach dropped about 10 feet)

If you scroll down to the last picture of Evelyn..it certainly gave me hope!
Definitely sounds to me like he's still in the running...

Last edited by sharkygirl; 11-06-2013 at 10:16 AM