Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-19-2014, 04:18 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Yes I agree, too much focus upstairs than downstairs. Overall, there's really nothing much going on with the upstairs cast as it is downstairs. I am however interested to see how this whole thing with Bricker will play out. And I would like to see the rest of the family find out about Marigold soon. Downstairs, I'm tired of the Green SL and the only thing I am interested in is Thomas' SL.
In this episode you're right, but I felt last week it was just the other way round. Way too much Downstairs for my taste (especially since it was almost all Bates and Anna and the neverending Green storyline).

I think it all depends on which characters you favourite. You will always have episodes that are boring if they are barely featured and others that you love, because your favourites are starring in them.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:33 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by northboundtrain (View Post)
That's a good point -- Shrimpy/Susan is serving as a sort of cautionary tale for Cora/Robert and for Mary.

It was just too sad a departure for both Jimmy and Thomas. Ethel was fired, but she was also brought back and given a happy ending to her story, so hopefully the same will hold true in Jimmy's case.

I'm also very interested in Thomas's storyline, but I believe he got very little screentime because his story is meant to be mysterious and also to play out past this particular episode. Right now, all we're meant to be is intrigued/suspicious, which is why we could only get little glimpses here and there (the magazine, the injections, Thomas crying at the door, Baxter repeatedly trying to figure out what's wrong).

If the storyline's meant to move slowly, then there's not much else JF can do if he wants to drag it out and keep us uncertain as to what exactly Thomas is doing (I mean, I think it's pretty clear he's trying some crackpot's "make yourself straight" scheme, but I've also read reviews that don't seem to know what's going on, which I think is what JF intends -- then when Thomas reveals what he's doing, it'll be shocking for those who haven't figured it out).

I do agree with you, though, that there needs to be a better balance between upstairs/downtstairs.

I think that's a problem, though, because it has become a narrative tactic that can grow tiresome. Stories move slowly, get repetitive, and then something shocking happens. I'd rather have things unfold at a more well-timed pace to keep me interested. I do like some of the smaller, quieter stories (Mrs. Patmore) and I don't mind a surprise (Tony's outburst), but there is a lot of repetition and drawing out of the plot. It's not consistently engaging.

And I am not just talking about the plots that don't interest me, like Banna. I am very interested in Edith and I want something else to happen already. This episode we got yet another scene of Edith yearning and being shooed off by Mrs. Drewe (this time the door slammed in her face, but still) and it's grown....tiresome, as I said. I want something new to happen.

I am also very interested in Tom and want something new to happen with him. I know that they had to "build up" Sarah's "So Not Working" storyline; they couldn't have the family react badly to her (and vice versa) once and then boot her. But the same dinner scene three of four times, every episode? It's one too many.

I did like the Tony/Mary scene this episode because again, something happened. And her dinner with Charles, I guess, although I'm not invested in her love life. Again, that was because something new happened. I also liked Rose with her refugees, just because it shows a shift in her character. That was a ice subtle touch. They didn't hit us over the head with it: we just see her in her apron in "caretaker" mode, and this is something new for her.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:19 AM
Moderator Manager

for this Sunday's new ep on PBS.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Part-Time Fan

A dull episode, in my opinion. What bothers me is how Gillingham the bully speaks to Mary and she seems to put up with it.

Tired of Edith moping around yet again.

Sarah seems to be there to remind Tom about his rebellious past, or as some others said elsewhere, JF wants us to like the aristocracy better.

Violet seems to like Isobel's company more but still can't avoid giving her jibes.

Robert is still disrespecting his wife...she rarely stands up to him. An Italian wife would fix him, lol.

Last edited by mrs. g; 01-26-2015 at 01:18 PM
Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Moderator Manager

Regarding over this thread I guess the only SL I liked was the one with Violet & Isobel. And I also liked that moment between Shrimpy & Rose.

Also Mabel Fox FTW.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

I missed it. I watched the Aussie Open.

I did flip to it a few times; one scene with the Russian dude, the second scene with Robert, Tom and Mary walking outside discussing Ms. Bunting (I assume I missed the dinner smackdown). hehe!

DA season 5 will be available for purchase in the States this week I think. I'll buy it pretty soon, but not so much excitedly waiting to watch it, but to buy it because I have all the other seasons (sounds like I am tiring of DA-sigh, I guess I am).

I did watch "Wives and Daughters' and "Cranford' this past week, and dang, with those casts, DA, and North and South, so many of those actors are in 1, 2, 3 (maybe 4, my head is still reeling!) of those listed, it's almost funny. Oh look! there's Mr. Carson in "Cranford"..Oh look! There's Mr. Darcy's aunt in "Cranford"... Mary's fiancee Richard is in one of those,can't remember which now (told you my head was reeling,lol--oh wait, think it's Wives and Daughters)..and Mr. Drewe's wife is in "Cranford', as is "North and South's Mrs. Hale....

And on one of those dvds, I saw that Dan Crawely is in a BBC remake of Sense and Sensibility....and also saw a trailer for a BBC 'Persuasion" (maybe I watched the wrong one, this one looks pretty good).

Anyone watched "Lark Rise to Candleford?"

I guess I am a fan of BBC period dramas.

here we go again. LOL

Last edited by aggiemom09121416; 01-26-2015 at 05:42 AM
Old 01-26-2015, 03:26 PM
New Fan

The Earl needs to talk to the Duke of Westminster. He owns vast holdings in London and does not sell. He gives 99 year leases. So the Earl could lease all those new homes and a hundred years later his estate would see them return. That would keep Downton going.

The Earl needs to address the House of Lords on some momentous issue of the day!

Didn't Lindberg land in Paris about this time and wasn't he a Nazi sympathizer later on. Makes for a quick scene.

Tom needs to smuggle baby animals to the IRA to give his character some development/depth.

Edith needs to visit Germany and bring Gregson home.

Last edited by downtonphile; 01-26-2015 at 05:08 PM
Old 01-26-2015, 10:46 PM
Moderator Manager

I watched some Australian Open too. It's already the quarterfinals so it's getting exciting.

I've seen Larkrise to Candleford! Some posters here and my previous co-mod recommended that I watch it and I absolutely enjoyed it.

As for Robert owning vast lands, he's a traditionalist and not known to make good business decisions and that's why he lost his money in S3. I'd like to be able to see Robert have a "win" soon or even a loss that could greatly affect his family's future and not have random people have money to save their problems.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemom09121416 (View Post)

I did watch "Wives and Daughters' and "Cranford' this past week, and dang, with those casts, DA, and North and South, so many of those actors are in 1, 2, 3 (maybe 4, my head is still reeling!) of those listed, it's almost funny. Oh look! there's Mr. Carson in "Cranford"..Oh look! There's Mr. Darcy's aunt in "Cranford"... Mary's fiancee Richard is in one of those,can't remember which now (told you my head was reeling,lol--oh wait, think it's Wives and Daughters)..and Mr. Drewe's wife is in "Cranford', as is "North and South's Mrs. Hale....

And on one of those dvds, I saw that Dan Crawely is in a BBC remake of Sense and Sensibility....and also saw a trailer for a BBC 'Persuasion" (maybe I watched the wrong one, this one looks pretty good).

Anyone watched "Lark Rise to Candleford?"

I guess I am a fan of BBC period dramas.

here we go again. LOL
Check, I've seen all those BBC costume drama's too Aggie, can't get enough of them, and there's a lot of familiar faces popping up in them, that's for sure.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Moderator Manager

I have yet to watch Return to Cranford. I know Michelle & Jim are both in it so I'm curious to watch it. I haven't seen Persuasion yet but that's been on my to-watch list for a long time now.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:04 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I have yet to watch Return to Cranford. I know Michelle & Jim are both in it so I'm curious to watch it. I haven't seen Persuasion yet but that's been on my to-watch list for a long time now.
This is the version I've seen of Persuasion, really enjoyed it too....Persuasion (TV Movie 2007) - IMDb

And needless to say nice to see Michelle and Jim in Return to Cranford, I saw that before they were cast in Downton.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. g (View Post)
Sarah seems to be there to remind Tom about his rebellious past, or as some others said elsewhere, JF wants us to like the aristocracy better.
Good point! That must be why he's made Bunting a pain in the bum!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Moderator Manager

I really need to see them both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnn (View Post)
Good point! That must be why he's made Bunting a pain in the bum!
Lazy storytelling imo. He could just make her interesting and likeable too but I reckon that would be boring.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Lazy storytelling imo.
I can't argue with that.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Moderator Manager

I also recall that Shrimpy was in this ep. I do remember how nice it was to see him again. I do like seeing characters from past seasons have another SL for the new season like how it was with Martha Levinson. And I always like it when we do see Aunt Rosamund back like she has been with the past seasons.