Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Part-Time Fan

Loved Tom's slow eye close, like he was waiting for the bomb to detonate!

Finally we saw Tom admonish her he actually looked quite shocked at her, Robert didn't really do anything to deserve her rudeness, she kept trying to make out Robert didn't approve of Daisy learning, but that wasn't the case at all, Robert genuinely didn't mind, no wonder he snapped, I think most people would have.

I'll join you in that bottle of champagne next week Andorra!

and I'm so shipping Isobel and Lord M too now!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Dedicated Fan

This was a really good episode. What Violet said about her late husband was really poignant--that he hid his qualities beneath convention and she didn't realize them at first--and made me think of Evelyn. I'm not convinced she's going to pick Blake or Gillingham after tonight, and with all the baggage it makes sense to start relatively clean in season 6. I can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Extreme Fan

I hope you're right, Andorra, because that did seem rather odd with Rose and Shrimpie. She tells him she's not going to marry the first rich eligible man to come along and wants a "blank check" to marry for love, and the next week along comes Mr. Perfect Toff.

I mean, maybe they were establishing that Rose still marches to her own drummer, that she isn't going to marry Atticus for his Toff Cred but because she loves him. Just in case we thought she felt pressured into it because of her parents' finances.

But IDK, would that really be necessary? I mean, we know Rose doesn't care about status and all that and we know she's headstrong and romantic. I'm not sure she needed to pronounce it quite so strongly.

And then there is the parallel: Tom tells Mary that if they love him they'll support him (even if it's Bunting). Rose tells her father that if he loves her he'll support her (no matter who it is). Tom in 5.03....then Rose in 5.04, asking their loved ones for support in their choice of partner.

Of course the difference is the family hates Sarah and will probably love Atticus (or think he's the perfect good match for her). But still, it's interesting. I hope it's a "Trosy Sign."

I liked it when Mrs. Patmore talked to Robert and basically called Carson out on his rigidity and insensitivity regarding her nephew. And Robert took her side. This is one of those all-too-rare instances where Robert showed good judgment. Carson could learn from his example.

I liked Mabel. She is kind of straightforward, like Sarah only not uncouth and obnoxious. It amused me how she came right out and addressed the elephant in the room (that Tony dumped her for Mary). Mary was taken aback, LOL.

IDK if she is really over him but after witnessing his attitude tonight I'd say she was well rid of him.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Loyal Fan

Initial thoughts.....

Mary's behavior is inexcusable. She goes out to dinner with Charles before she's even broken it off with Tony. To top it off she tells Charles she's breaking it off before she tells Tony. That was absolutely wrong and classless. Totally indefensible. She was such a royal bitch to do that. I couldn't feel sorry for her when Tony let her have it. She deserved what she got and probably deserved more. She needs to get a grip. It looks like coming out of mourning has caused her to throw caution to the wind and do whatever she wants without thought to the consequences.

I thought Lord Merton's proposal to Isobel was very sweet.

Violet seems to genuinely care about the prince. Whatever happened between them still affects her deeply.

I liked Mabel. She had the best line of the entire show "Charles try not to be such an ass." Loved it!

Nothing else from the episode really stood out to me. How many more Sarah Bunting induced explosions are we going to have to witness? It's really getting old.

Last edited by Lauren60; 10-12-2014 at 09:29 PM
Old 10-13-2014, 04:21 AM
Part-Time Fan

I liked this episode but the storylines are developing too slowly IMO. It's like nothing is happening this series. And when something happens (Mary breaking up with Tony, for example), it's quite predictable and anticlimatic.

There were some nice scenes though. I liked Merton's proposal, even if I'm not a fan of this couple and I think Isobel isn't really in love with him. I also enjoyed the father / daughter moments between Robert/Edith and Shrimpie/Rose.

The scene with Bunting was embarassing. She had a point but once again she didn't know where to stop (as Mary said). And I don't understand why Rose, Isobel etc. insist on inviting her to these dinners when things have gone wrong so many times before. Robert was also rude, but he has the right of deciding whom to invite in his own house. I'm glad Bunting is going TBH, I don't particularly like her and these scenes with her and Robert bickering at dinner were getting repetitive.

Thomas's storyline seems interesting. Edith's, OTOH, is a bit stagnant ATM (but apparently Rosamund is putting 2 and 2 together). The war memorial plot is good, it's very easy for the viewers to side with Mrs Patmore but I guess in 1924 many people would agree with Carson.

I also liked Mabel, can't wait to see her again.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:13 AM
Extreme Fan

Well this was a big, big improvement on last week's episode, I literally punched the air when Robert told Bunting where to go, and about time too, and it looks like Tom's beginning to see the light where she's concerned as well, if she's shipped off next week I'll join everyone in a glass of champagne too.

I thought Lord Merton's proposal was sweet too, and Isobel's trying not to let him down at once was typical of her good nature.

Her scenes with Violet are always gold too, they usually get the best lines, although last night's belonged to Mabel, shame she's probably just a fleeting character.

Loved, loved the fashion show, not just for the clothes, but those flirting glances between Mary and Charles, especially when the wedding dress appeared, you just knew that was coming.
Actually I think the Tony/Mary/Charles triangle has been poorly handled by JF, obviously Tony's not going to take things lying down, I don't know what Mary was expecting him to do, but I've a feeling he's going to be hard to get rid of.

Poor Edith just goes from one misery to another, first finding out Gregson might have come to a terrible end, then not being allowed to visit their daughter, I wouldn't be surprised if she had a nervous breakdown before long.

I didn't spot the signpost with Rose and Shrimpie's talk, but after a glimpse of next week's episode, it looks a bit obvious.

I liked that Robert took Mrs Patmore's side as well, making Carson look like the more insensitive one.

And so the Bates murder mystery drags on, and whatever's wrong with Thomas I hope it's nothing trivial, he really is a pig, I felt more sympathy for Baxter.

Last edited by carrie.suze; 10-13-2014 at 05:20 AM
Old 10-13-2014, 05:52 AM
Moderator Manager

I thought this ep was okay, nothing spectacular but it hasn't been for a while now...

The only thing I really liked about this ep is the Violet & Isobel SL. It was really nice to know more about Violet's past with that Russian prince. And Lord Merton's proposal to Isobel caught me by surprise! I like how Isobel didn't say no but she also didn't say yes but is considering it. Nice one Isobel.

I sort of like the whole Robert/Sarah drama but I kind of predicted that she was going to stir up trouble once again during dinner. And yes, why does everyone else keep inviting her (Cora, Rose, Isobel) when they all know what she's capable of? I'm still lukewarm about Tom's SL and I hope after what happened at dinner, that would be a wake up call for Tom regarding Sarah.

I also like the Tom/Robert/Mary scenes and I wonder what Robert is thinking of building in that lot?

I also like Mabel Fox. It was nice that Charles & Mary had dinner and all I saw was friends catching up, they even talked about Tony. At least they can be friends if they can't be together, right?

Very surprising turn of events with Robert too: he was good in this ep. He took Mrs. Patmore's side for her nephew's memorial and apologized to Tom. But where he is good at other things, he isn't with his marriage and Cora is getting irritated at him already. We all know Bricker fancies Cora and I wonder where this will all lead to?

My not so favorite parts: Tony/Mary. I didn't like both Tony & Mary's reaction to this whole thing. I don't understand what changed Mary's mind and while Tony has every right to get mad, he's like "okay, we just have to get through this."

Also, Sarah Bunting. It was awkward, embarrassing and difficult to watch. After hearing Daisy praise her, she just can't seem to let it go.

And this whole Green investigation. Now Anna is a suspect? Please.

Btw, what did Baxter see in Thomas' room? She was right about Thomas being sick but I didn't quite catch it.

Very nice moment with Shrimpie & Rose. I think Shrimpie's a good father but not a good husband. I also like the scene with Edith & Robert. Even if Robert is not father of the year, she still goes to him and tells him some of her problems, in this case Gregson who is probably dead.

Lastly, I'm waiting until Mrs. Drewe finds out the real story why Edith keeps coming back. And for the rest of the family to find out that she has a daughter. Very nice to see Aunt Rosamund back and she was asking about Edith. She should visit Downton and she & Edith need to talk.

Sadly, nothing excited me for the preview of the next ep.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Dedicated Fan

Gillingham was really shaming her--I'm sad she went with him after he went off on her. I mean, I would have said "There is no we" and walked away, but I think part of her is afraid he's going to tell people she slept with him--because even when they were talking he was so loud.

"And you think I should choose life?"
Evelyn = In Hebrew the meaning of the name Evelyn is: Life.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:04 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren60 (View Post)
Initial thoughts.....

Mary's behavior is inexcusable. She goes out to dinner with Charles before she's even broken it off with Tony. To top it off she tells Charles she's breaking it off before she tells Tony. That was absolutely wrong and classless. Totally indefensible. She was such a royal bitch to do that. I couldn't feel sorry for her when Tony let her have it. She deserved what she got and probably deserved more. She needs to get a grip. It looks like coming out of mourning has caused her to throw caution to the wind and do whatever she wants without thought to the consequences.

I thought Lord Merton's proposal to Isobel was very sweet.

Violet seems to genuinely care about the prince. Whatever happened between them still affects her deeply.

I liked Mabel. She had the best line of the entire show "Charles try not to be such an ass." Loved it!

Nothing else from the episode really stood out to me. How many more Sarah Bunting induced explosions are we going to have to witness? It's really getting old.

I know, there was no need to do THREE dinner scenes with Sarah. Maybe they wanted to show that the family really DID give her a chance but she just blew it. Three strikes, you're out.

But it was repetitive and annoying.

I love Mabel. I can't say it enough.

I don't that what Mary did was THAT bad but it's true, she shouldn't have told Charles that before she let Tony know. She was about to drop a big bombshell on him and she knew he'd be upset. It was a personal matter. My biggest problem with it is that she was basically flirting with him before she even dumped Tony. He invited her, but IMO she was taking the chance to keep Charles in the game. She should have waited, out of respect for Tony.

But Tony did the same damned thing to Mabel. He was about to get engaged to her (just as Mary was about to get engaged to Tony) and he went and proposed to Mary. Payback's a b***h. In this case, as far as you're concerned, quite literally a b***h!!!

That said Tony did not handle it well and frankly scared the crap out of me. I didn't think he had it in him to be so angry and judgmental and.....threatening.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:35 AM
Part-Time Fan

First post, so here goes!
This episode is the most interesting so far this season..(but on the flip side, the season is half over and nothing's really happened!)

Enjoyed seeing Mary and Charles together, I've been Team Blake since last season. It did make me cringe when she blurted out so effortlessly 'When Matthew died'...still makes me cringe (guess she got over it faster than I did, LOL) And as far as her convo with Gillingham, he nearly came unhinged. It was super creepy!(his using Mary was shown in last week's episode during the breakfast scene. He says something about wanting to know how every day of the rest of his life is going to go, or something like that. That means to me Mary's his meal ticket to doing nothing the rest of his life due to her wealth.

I hope Isobel considers the marriage proposal. On another thought, I'd like to see how she's dealing with the loss of Matthew.

Am bored with the season's current who-murdered-whomever whodunit. zzzzzzzz

And that wicked Bunting woman needs to GO! I don't think I've read anywhere on the internet that a DA fan actually likes this woman.
I *think* Tom sees the light in the next episode due to what was shown in next week's teaser (he says something about his daughter 'she's one of them (referring to the Crawley's). His love for his daughter will trump any feelings he might have had for the rude Bunting woman. blech!

And dang, Edith, just spill the beans about Marigold already!

My overall thoughts on DA are this...I think the series from the very beginning moved too quickly through time--it's been 12 YEARS already? my my!
One of the things about the show that interested me was how people lived without the things we have now...gee, they have electricity, wireless, phone, driving their own cars,,,what's next, the internet?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassothemoon (View Post)
Gillingham was really shaming her--I'm sad she went with him after he went off on her. I mean, I would have said "There is no we" and walked away, but I think part of her is afraid he's going to tell people she slept with him--because even when they were talking he was so loud.
I've a feeling he's going to become possibly dangerous to her, he certainly looked menacing in that scene.
And yeah, thinking about Mabel he didn't exactly treat her very well either, that should have been a warning sign for Mary.

I liked Mabel, as we've all said I think, it'll be a shame if she's not back for more.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemom09121416 (View Post)
First post, so here goes!
This episode is the most interesting so far this season..(but on the flip side, the season is half over and nothing's really happened!)

Enjoyed seeing Mary and Charles together, I've been Team Blake since last season. It did make me cringe when she blurted out so effortlessly 'When Matthew died'...still makes me cringe (guess she got over it faster than I did, LOL) And as far as her convo with Gillingham, he nearly came unhinged. It was super creepy!(his using Mary was shown in last week's episode during the breakfast scene. He says something about wanting to know how every day of the rest of his life is going to go, or something like that. That means to me Mary's his meal ticket to doing nothing the rest of his life due to her wealth.

I hope Isobel considers the marriage proposal. On another thought, I'd like to see how she's dealing with the loss of Matthew.

Am bored with the season's current who-murdered-whomever whodunit. zzzzzzzz

And that wicked Bunting woman needs to GO! I don't think I've read anywhere on the internet that a DA fan actually likes this woman.
I *think* Tom sees the light in the next episode due to what was shown in next week's teaser (he says something about his daughter 'she's one of them (referring to the Crawley's). His love for his daughter will trump any feelings he might have had for the rude Bunting woman. blech!

And dang, Edith, just spill the beans about Marigold already!

My overall thoughts on DA are this...I think the series from the very beginning moved too quickly through time--it's been 12 YEARS already? my my!
One of the things about the show that interested me was how people lived without the things we have now...gee, they have electricity, wireless, phone, driving their own cars,,,what's next, the internet?

Well done with your first post, I agree that hardly anything's happened so far, but at least this episode was an improvement on last week's, let's hope it keeps getting better from now on.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Part-Time Fan

Some of the plot twists leave me saying....um, what? LOL

Here's Daisy, bottom-of-the-totem-pole Daisy. (Yes Mrs. Patmore!!) she's moving on up (sorta like the Jeffersons)...now she's an assistant cook, an heiress,and doing some writin and 'rithmatic. My thought is, once her father-in-law asked her to move in with him and help in the family business, why didn't she jump at the opportunity (oh yea, forgot, she hasn't asked to leave the show yet. LOL) And she looks TALLER. (that's a random thought, but one that puzzles me, lol)

And here we have our seasonal murder whodunit. Whoduncares. lol (well, I think Anna did it-lets give ol' John a rest this season.)

And poor yummy Jimmy.....one roll in the sack with an invited upstairs guest, and POOF! he's gone. (I miss Jimmy).

The cast needs needs new downstairs members. Gwen, Ivy, Jimmy, Obrien, William, Jane,Ethel,(and seems like another character that starts with an "E", all gone...and Moseley, to me, is just a caricature, so easy to laugh at. (I think I'm in the minority in not caring for him).

Another random thought...who's doing the cooking for Isobel since Ethel left? LOL

Last edited by aggiemom09121416; 10-13-2014 at 08:21 AM Reason: wrong name
Old 10-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Loyal Fan

Can we please put the "Tony is a gold digger to rest"? If he is he would have married Mabel who was the "greatest heiress of the season". So no he isn't after Mary and her supposed vast fortune.

I get that people don't like the Tony character but I would hope they could attempt to be objective. He's been criticized for being spineless and Mary's lap dog. Now that he is pushing back he's all of a sudden creepy and threatening. What we saw was anger plain and simple. As I recall Matthew did his share of raising his voice with Mary in S1 when she was hesitating accepting his proposal. I doubt he was characterized as threatening. It helped that we knew him more as a character than we know Tony. I come to the conclusion the Tony character won't be given a fair shake by those who don't like him. He can't win no matter what he does.

Last edited by Lauren60; 10-13-2014 at 09:01 AM
Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Part-Time Fan

Fair enough, am new to this site. True, we 'knew' Matthew moreso than we know Tony. But I don't think Matthew would have asked a lady of Mary's standing to shack up for a week (but, to her discredit she agreed).
I also don't think Matthew would have spoken so loudly in public about their week-long romp in the sack.
Just my opinion, of course.

For full disclosure, I did like Tony last season, but his declaration of love so quickly for Mary left me puzzled.
I preferred Charles Blake last season due to his being so different from Mary, it would make for better drama!

I wondered how the writer's would go forward with Mary and her suitors, so if the episodes divulge and imply Tony's a wimp, scoundrel, or hero, that's on the writers.