Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
Austin Butler is cute in The Carrie Diaries, but his dialogue in Switched at Birth was so much sharper and wittier. His character felt dynamic on Switched at Birth. I do not get that in The Carrie Diaries. The writers are not tapping into the actors full abilities, so much wasted potential.

But his eyes sparkle and he puts out so much heat that he smolders (in a good way) on both shows.
For anyone wondering about Austin Butler on The Carrie Diaries, here is a picture of him taken by a fan last night during filming for Season 2.

If only this picture marked his return to Switched at Birth, and if ONLY he was there to sweep Daphne off her feet!

https://twitter.com/TeamAustinNYC/st...550528/photo/1
Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I re-watched The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters again today. There is this great moment where Emmett & Bay are playing with some of the props on a table, and Wilke walks up to them (through the fog from Daphne's fog machine) to grab a soda from the cooler.

Wilke takes the soda and turns to look at Bay. Emmett turns away from the props on the table, with a sword in his hands, and the two men totally stare each other down for a moment.

Of course, all of this happens before Wilke sees Emmett & Simone's text messages to each other. But it shows the tension between the two, even then, and they both look so incredibly sexy while staring each other down.

It's obvious to me that Wilke is sizing Emmett up to determine if he is good enough to date Toby's little sister. And Emmett is sizing Wilke up to determine 1) if he is making a pass at Bay and 2) if he is good enough to date Daphne.
That was a great moment, Amy. A lot of subtext indeed. I definitely see that as what they are both thinking.

And Bay gives him a look that's funny, too. It's kind of one of annoyance, but it fits in with the friend of the older brother/little sister vibe.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:36 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
That was a great moment, Amy. A lot of subtext indeed. I definitely see that as what they are both thinking.

And Bay gives him a look that's funny, too. It's kind of one of annoyance, but it fits in with the friend of the older brother/little sister vibe.
Switched at Birth EXCELS on the subtext. And Sean Berdy, as Emmett, is a master of it. That's one of the main reasons I want to see Austin Butler return. These two characters have so much left unsaid between them. Angelo and Emmett have much to say to each other, too.

How can the writers leave these characters with so much unsaid between them?

Wilke and Daphne at least did get to bring their relationship to a natural break. I'd love to see the moment that Wilke returns, though. Daphne has a lot to share with him. Both of her jobs, working under Chef Jeff (literally) at Maize and interning for John Kennish, turned disastrous. Wilke would have an opportunity to be the mature one, finally. He could be there for Daphne.

I want Wilke to return!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Fan

Is there a chance he will be back
Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japril (View Post)
Is there a chance he will be back
He is on The Carrie Diaries right now, but the Switched at Birth showrunner, Lizzy Weiss, has tweeted that she would like to have him back, if the opportunity presents itself.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Elite Fan

We'll have to see how the show does. They only ordered 13 episodes, but supposedly the ratings have been steady.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Loyal Fan

Well if they can't get AB on the show, I'd love a few more Wilke mentions.

I really miss his character. I still at the awkward limo ride with him, Daphne, and Travis.

No matter how the wind howls, the mountain cannot bow to it -The Emperor from Mulan
Old 11-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Elite Fan

That was a great scene, Kayla. As much as I loathe triangles (and I DO), I think the one with Wilke, Daphne, and Travis was great. Travis and Wilke's disdain for each other was obvious and the limo scene played on that.

I do think one day we'll see Wilke back. I don't know when or for how long, but I could see Austin returning for the series finale, if nothing else and Daphne's love life is still a mess (which it probably will be. LBR).
Old 05-09-2014, 01:53 PM
New Fan

Quote:

That was a great scene, Kayla. As much as I loathe triangles (and I DO), I think the one with Wilke, Daphne, and Travis was great. Travis and Wilke's disdain for each other was obvious and the limo scene played on that.

I do think one day we'll see Wilke back. I don't know when or for how long, but I could see Austin returning for the series finale, if nothing else and Daphne's love life is still a mess (which it probably will be. LBR).
Wilke will definitely be back, it's just a matter of time.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingbabe (View Post)
Wilke will definitely be back, it's just a matter of time.
I wonder what Wilke will say about Daphne's decision to go pre-med.

In my mind, Wilke really cleaned up his act in boarding school. I could see Wilke going pre-med, too, and Daphne and Wilke bumping in to each other at college.

Wilke should be one year older than Daphne. He is the same age as Campbell. Wouldn't it be funny if Campbell and Wilke are in some classes together at college? Campbell could introduce Wilke to Daphne.

Daphne would say, "I know Wilke!"

Wilke could definitely give Campbell a run for his money.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Elite Fan

Many things I wonder about Wilke.

He probably has matured since being away.

I want to know/see:

1) How him and Daphne would interact
2) Wilke and Toby being BFF's
3) Wilke and Emmett and how Wilke feels about Emmett's presence in the Kennish kids lives. Even though it was a while ago, I still think Wilke has some not-so-nice feelings for Emmett.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Wilke and Emmett and how Wilke feels about Emmett's presence in the Kennish kids lives. Even though it was a while ago, I still think Wilke has some not-so-nice feelings for Emmett.
Me, too, Alyssa! Actually, me, too, to your whole list, but especially this one!

Way before Emmett ever cheated, I still remember Wilke saying THIS to Daphne and Bay, " Look, if I had the money, I would give it to you. You're killing me here. All I can say is, no matter what happens to the bike, that guy's a lucky bastard."

And I really believe in my heart that Wilke meant it. He saw that Emmett had these two girls hopelessly devoted to him. Wilke would have given everything to have two such wonderful girls care about him that much.

I don't think Wilke's not-so-nice Emmett feelings are necessarily warranted, but I can 100% understand why Wilke has them. From Wilke's point of view, Emmett was a guy who had everything, and he treated it oh so callously.

Toby may have learned about the importance of forgiveness from Nikki, but Wilke will never trust and respect Emmett in the way that Emmett wants people to see him, in the way that Emmett wants to be. Wilke has seen the dark side of Emmett, and Wilke is a person who understands the dark side. He won't respect it.

It's possible that Wilke and Emmett might be bandmates and even friends, in a loose sense of the word. But Wilke isn't going to ever really trust Emmett. And he will probably always prefer that Daphne, Bay, and Toby had less to do with Emmett, rather than more.

We need Wilke back to keep Emmett on his toes!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Me, too, Alyssa! Actually, me, too, to your whole list, but especially this one!

Way before Emmett ever cheated, I still remember Wilke saying THIS to Daphne and Bay, " Look, if I had the money, I would give it to you. You're killing me here. All I can say is, no matter what happens to the bike, that guy's a lucky bastard."

And I really believe in my heart that Wilke meant it. He saw that Emmett had these two girls hopelessly devoted to him. Wilke would have given everything to have two such wonderful girls care about him that much.

I don't think Wilke's not-so-nice Emmett feelings are necessarily warranted, but I can 100% understand why Wilke has them. From Wilke's point of view, Emmett was a guy who had everything, and he treated it oh so callously.

Toby may have learned about the importance of forgiveness from Nikki, but Wilke will never trust and respect Emmett in the way that Emmett wants people to see him, in the way that Emmett wants to be. Wilke has seen the dark side of Emmett, and Wilke is a person who understands the dark side. He won't respect it.

It's possible that Wilke and Emmett might be bandmates and even friends, in a loose sense of the word. But Wilke isn't going to ever really trust Emmett. And he will probably always prefer that Daphne, Bay, and Toby had less to do with Emmett, rather than more.

We need Wilke back to keep Emmett on his toes!
Yes.

I think it's a number of factors for Wilke. 1) He feels a bit threatened by Emmett and his connection to Daphne 2) Toby is his best friend 3) He thinks of Bay as a bit of a little sister and may have even thought about, at the very least, hooking up with her, as referenced in 1x04
"Mind if I take a run at that?"
Given all three factors, it is 100% understandable why Wilke would continue to have not-so-nice feelings for Emmett. Is it warranted? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. On the one hand, Wilke is certainly entitled to an opinion of Emmett, even a negative one. He doesn't have to like Emmett. Certain people just rub you the wrong way, but it seemed like he and Emmett were and good terms during the festival. So, it appears his feelings came on the heels of learning about Emmett's infidelity.

On the other hand, I would hope that someone like Wilke -- who has been known to be a bit of a player -- wouldn't condemn Emmett for a mistake he made at sixteen for the rest of his life (and same thing with Bay to be honest). However, my best friend is super important to me. I love her a lot and if her boyfriend cheated, I'd have a momentary lapse of "What an ass!" for hurting her. I think it's a natural reaction. I don't think I'd hold it over his head forever, but would I want to give him a nice verbal lashing? Hell yes.

I think we tend to overlook Toby's feelings sometimes because he and Simone were a lesser couple in some regards, even though they were sleeping together where Bay and Emmett weren't. Toby is like a brother to Wilke and I am sure he felt betrayed on Toby's behalf.

I'm sure he also feels protective over Bay and Daphne, even though we didn't really see much between Wilke and Bay. It's implied that they have grown up together and are good friends and that Bay has hung out with Wilke and Toby and gets a lot of laughs out of them.

And I think you hit on a good point: Wilke knows the dark side. I'm sure Wilke's broken some hearts.

I'm actually okay with there being tension between Wilke and Emmett. I think Emmett being kept on his toes is fine by me.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:51 AM
New Fan

I can't help but think if Wilke never left in the first place, he would still have been on the show like Travis. But then again Ty came back. So wilke will come back too. But the question is when?

Last edited by dashingbabe; 05-15-2014 at 12:57 AM
Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingbabe (View Post)
I can't help but think if Wilke never left in the first place, he would still have been on the show like Travis. But then again Ty came back. So wilke will come back too. But the question is when?
I know what I would do if I was writing Switched at Birth!

I would have Daphne's love life reach some sort of a climax (or at least be in a state of confusion), and then, Wilke would return and find Daphne, in the last few minutes of the Season 3 finale.

Wilke would sign to Daphne that he is home, and he would kiss her.

People would be talking about that cliffhanger for the entire hiatus! And Daphne would finally have a love life that is worthy of her character.