Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-07-2016, 12:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavitaebella (View Post)
Thanks for the new thread! I wish they had a mobile version of this site, because I'm on my phone 90% of the time...

Anyway, I totally know what you mean about job-hunting taking a toll on your self esteem. Part of the reason I'm not looking for a second job while also in school is because I don't think I could take much more rejection. (That and I don't think I'd have time for another job while also going to school full-time.) And yeah, a lot of the rejection is done over the internet, mostly via email for the library profession. I hate getting rejection emails, because for a split second, there's hope, then nothing...

But I wish you the best of luck in job hunting! You can totally crush it, I did not mean to bring the negativity.
They do its called forum runner. Download it and search for fanforum
Old 02-07-2016, 12:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)

It is! What type of work are you looking for?
Anything other than retail
Old 02-07-2016, 05:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TwilighterTee~ (View Post)
Anything other than retail
Have you thought about childcare? If you like children, you might want to apply at a daycare.

The one my daughter attended, when she was little, the teachers wrote lesson plans, and lots of room for creativity existed. The teachers made the classroom their own, and each teacher's personality was reflected in the theme.

There's always a need for childcare workers.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:

Have you thought about childcare? If you like children, you might want to apply at a daycare.

The one my daughter attended, when she was little, the teachers wrote lesson plans, and lots of room for creativity existed. The teachers made the classroom their own, and each teacher's personality was reflected in the theme.

There's always a need for childcare workers.

Don't you need to be cetifiy right?
Old 02-08-2016, 12:44 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Don't you need to be cetifiy right?
The business needs a license, but the teacher does not need one.

See if there is a Goddard School in your area. They only require a high school education. They train their employees, and I think they do a nice job. Their employees receive two weeks of paid vacation every year, too. I like that. They get an hour lunch break and some healthcare benefits. You have to enjoy being with children, though.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
The business needs a license, but the teacher does not need one.

See if there is a Goddard School in your area. They only require a high school education. They train their employees, and I think they do a nice job. Their employees receive two weeks of paid vacation every year, too. I like that. They get an hour lunch break and some healthcare benefits. You have to enjoy being with children, though.
Yeah I like working with kids

Maybe I will check it out
Old 02-09-2016, 07:32 PM
Master Fan

How is everyone's February shaping up?

Mine is going okay. February has always been a hard month for me. My dad died on February 20, 1977, and it sort of made every February sad for me after that.

But I have always tried to make Valentine's Day special.

I moved to Olympia, WA, on Valentine's Day 1990, to be closer to my first love, even though we weren't together as a couple anymore. Three thousand miles is a long distance to travel, but he invited me (as a friend), so we could start a movie production business together. That never really went anywhere. He made some t-shirts with a four-color silk screen printing press that he procured somehow. His plan was to sell t-shirts to make money, in order to buy good quality video equipment. We were in our early 20s. What can I say?

We sold a couple of t-shirts and that was that. I was so in love with him, though. He had broken up with me in 1985, and I was still waiting for him to come back to me. I would have happily sold t-shirts (and been poor) for the rest of my life, if he would have. That's how love works. One day, a couple of months after I moved out there, his dad told me that they had talked, and if anything was ever going to happen between us again, it would be after we had both married other people and had our own families. That was a downer. I let go, after that. I didn't want to move back home just yet, though. I stayed for a while longer and fell in love again with someone new almost immediately.

I started a real business with my second love. We opened our restaurant together on Valentine's Day 1992. It was successful, too. On Valentine's Day 1997, five years after we opened, the Governor of the State of Washington brought his very pregnant wife for a romantic dinner. The Executive Protection Unit came through the building earlier that afternoon to check everything for security, and they sat outside in an unmarked car watching as the Governor and First Lady ate their meal. It was so cool. Hard to believe it was almost 20 years ago, now.

I haven't done anything extraordinary like that again yet, but every Valentine's Day that I spend with my baby girl is the best one ever.

We will plan something special some Valentine's Day in the future. I like the holiday too much not to do so. How can you not like a holiday that's all about love? It's the brightest moment in the month of February.

Any other Valentine's Day fans?

I had not discovered Switched at Birth at the time yet, but I understand that Emmett told Bay he loved her for the first time, on Valentine's Day 2012. The episode actually aired on that date.

I wish the writers had not decimated Bay & Emmett's relationship so completely. Things were bad after Emmett cheated, but at least we knew they both still wanted to be with each other. I don't have the feeling either one of them wants to be with the other anymore. That makes me sad.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Wow it sounds like you have been through a lot I am sorry hugs but it's also inspiring to hear about the t shirts you did
Old 02-10-2016, 01:59 AM
Dedicated Fan

Hi guys! I got back last night but was really ill in bed (I'm still running a fever). So far my February has been okay. I had a great time at my friend's wedding. It was funny, everyone kept commenting that I was keeping up with their drinking and they were surprised (Oh how the Polish drink)! Krakow is lovely but I really disliked Warsaw. And the girl I was traveling with was absolutely unbearable. Seriously, I don't say that about people often but she was awful. I'm hoping to avoid her now that we're back...lol.

How is everyone else doing?

@lavitaebella, you work in libraries? I was an academic librarian for about 3 years. It was really great! Do you have your MLIS yet?

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!

Last edited by Kassiek; 02-10-2016 at 02:05 AM
Old 02-10-2016, 01:59 AM
Dedicated Fan

double post

Old 02-10-2016, 04:55 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Wow it sounds like you have been through a lot I am sorry hugs but it's also inspiring to hear about the t shirts you did
I haven't been through a lot. It's been a pretty easy-going and wonderful life. I've been lucky.

I didn't do much with the t-shirts, other than wear one of them a couple of times. That was my old boyfriend's dream, and he didn't do very much with it either. He did have some success as a sculptor later in life. That's cool.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiek (View Post)
Hi guys! I got back last night but was really ill in bed (I'm still running a fever). So far my February has been okay. I had a great time at my friend's wedding. It was funny, everyone kept commenting that I was keeping up with their drinking and they were surprised (Oh how the Polish drink)! Krakow is lovely but I really disliked Warsaw. And the girl I was traveling with was absolutely unbearable. Seriously, I don't say that about people often but she was awful. I'm hoping to avoid her now that we're back...lol.

How is everyone else doing?

@lavitaebella, you work in libraries? I was an academic librarian for about 3 years. It was really great! Do you have your MLIS yet?
Feel better! Fevers suck. Being sick sucks. I thought I was getting sick last week, but it was some weird 24-hour thing I guess....or maybe it's a nine month thing.... Kidding! I probably shouldn't joke about that. My mom can probably hear me typing and is about to call. No, but I had the chills and it was strange.

Glad you had a nice time at your friend's wedding. Hope you're able to avoid that chick.

I'm okay. Tired. My internship is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth I think. Just not what I expected.

Other than that, I'm okay. Thinking about taking some continuing ed classes to keep me busy while my husband is at work/finishing his last two classes for his bachelor's.

Okay. Enough about me. I'm boring. Everyone else?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm sorry your internship isn't quite what you expected. Haha, moms sometimes have a weird sense when you're talking about having kids!

I hope you both feel better ASAP!

Quote:
Yeah, I'm currently a Youth Services Page/YS Substitute. I'm currently working on my MLIS, I'll be halfway done at the end of this semester. I hope to work in a public library, and I'm leaning towards working in adult services right now. That's so cool you worked in an academic library! What was your favorite part?

Sending hugs to everyone! I hope you're all having good weeks so far!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I'm sorry your internship isn't quite what you expected. Haha, moms sometimes have a weird sense when you're talking about having kids!

I hope you both feel better ASAP!
Thanks! Yeah, I thought it being a writing workshop it would be focused more on actual writing But it's a lot of other stuff.

Haha, it's more like my mom won't quit bugging me about having kids!

Congrats on being nearly halfway done with your MLIS!

Are you excited for GG to come back?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavitaebella (View Post)
Yeah, I'm currently a Youth Services Page/YS Substitute. I'm currently working on my MLIS, I'll be halfway done at the end of this semester. I hope to work in a public library, and I'm leaning towards working in adult services right now. That's so cool you worked in an academic library! What was your favorite part?
Oh that's hard to say. The entire experience was great (except I had a terrible boss at my first library job...but that's a whole other story and she got her comeuppance when the entire library coop blackballed her in the state). I loved getting the reference questions mostly. They were always really interesting. It was a lot of fun to teach students how to properly research for their courses. My second official library job was me being the school's only librarian. That was awesome! I ran the entire library how I wanted and the students barely bothered me. I actually ended up having a lot of downtime so I did the school's accreditation paperwork and handbooks. I guess technically I had someone under me who would shelve books for me and catalogue for me if I was feeling lazy. I actually redid the entire catalogue system at that library and had to write my own crosswalk which was interesting (since I'm too much of a penny pincher to get the company to do it). They were great, but alas I never actually wanted to be a librarian. I had originally joined the MScIS program at my university and then it merged with the MLS early on in my two year program and I accidentally became a librarian lol. So I left to study HCI and now I'm studying Ergonomics.

The MLIS is really a lot of fun, though. What courses have you taken/will take? I'm guessing they were different than mine since I was specialized in IA. Any reason why you're sticking with Public Libraries? Also did you make sure to join your local associations and coops? They should help you find jobs and will be a great resource later on!

@Slayerfan714 Sorry to hear about your Internship as well, but at least it's a learning experience (just not the one you hoped for)! Continuing ed classes are always great! I always try to take them when I'm not actually continuing my education lol. And babies are great (when you're ready for one)! I don't have one of course (I can't even get a boyfriend), but I love all my friends' babies and I know they are really happy to have them. And of course moms will bug you for them. They love those grand babies, don't they!

Last edited by Kassiek; 02-11-2016 at 09:44 AM