Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-25-2012, 10:51 AM
New Fan

I am really liking Daphne as a character and also Ms. Katie Leclerc as an actress. Please add me to the supporters list!

I'll be honest and say that what originally drew me into the show was the fact that they would be showcasing the deaf community and exploring how hearing and non-hearing people interact with one another. I hadn't watched the series from the beginning, but even then, the character of Daphne really charmed her way into my heart.

Her character is like most heroes/heroines of TV shows -- someone very strong, very kind, very intelligent (and if it's not booksmarts, it's always some other kind of amazing smarts), but still having lots of flaws. And of course, a few "tragic" issues/problems. Usually the problems are solely family related and sometimes they're kinda related to some form of substance addiction or some other immoral issue/behavior. But THIS -- being non-hearing -- that's just something that's barely ever been explored on TV before.

I'm really digging this show and especially Daphne's character. I'm looking forward to seeing the future episodes.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Welcome! I'll go add you.

It's nice to have another Daphne fan here.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Obsessed Fan

Welcome!

She really is a great character, despite some flaws she's had. She's just going through a lot.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac1 (View Post)
I am really liking Daphne as a character and also Ms. Katie Leclerc as an actress. Please add me to the supporters list!

I'll be honest and say that what originally drew me into the show was the fact that they would be showcasing the deaf community and exploring how hearing and non-hearing people interact with one another. I hadn't watched the series from the beginning, but even then, the character of Daphne really charmed her way into my heart.

Her character is like most heroes/heroines of TV shows -- someone very strong, very kind, very intelligent (and if it's not booksmarts, it's always some other kind of amazing smarts), but still having lots of flaws. And of course, a few "tragic" issues/problems. Usually the problems are solely family related and sometimes they're kinda related to some form of substance addiction or some other immoral issue/behavior. But THIS -- being non-hearing -- that's just something that's barely ever been explored on TV before.

I'm really digging this show and especially Daphne's character. I'm looking forward to seeing the future episodes.
Welcome to the thread. Very good post, I agree. SAB and the character of Daphne have brought a completely new and unexplored dynamic to family television.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Moderator Support Team

I'm so surprised that she lied to her bio parents to get money, but I'm glad that she told them the truth because it wasn't right to take advantage of them when they actually gave her the place to live by get to know them and stuff like that..

i'm trying,
but it won't stop!

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 01-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It was wrong but she did feel guilty. I think she was just desperate for Emmett's sake and did the only thing she thought she could do in order to get 5K that fast.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yep.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

For me I like when characters make mistakes, but they learn from them. Daphne is going to make mistakes she's only human not to mention she's a teenage girl. I feel like it makes the characters seem more human when they stumble a bit, but pick theirselves up and deal with it head on. Daphne isn't perfect, but in that situation she was desperate to help Emmett any way she could. While her heart was in the right place her method of trying to get the money was wrong and I'm gald that she couldn't accept the money and gave it back.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Completely agree.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Obsessed Fan

Yeah I think she felt guilty about it afterwards, and even though she shouldn't have done it, she did do it for Emmett's sake which is better than just flat out lying for no good reason.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower 654 (View Post)
For me I like when characters make mistakes, but they learn from them. Daphne is going to make mistakes she's only human not to mention she's a teenage girl. I feel like it makes the characters seem more human when they stumble a bit, but pick theirselves up and deal with it head on. Daphne isn't perfect, but in that situation she was desperate to help Emmett any way she could. While her heart was in the right place her method of trying to get the money was wrong and I'm gald that she couldn't accept the money and gave it back.
Yeah, I agree w/ this even it was nice to see what they did was wrong, so they can fix it..

i'm trying,
but it won't stop!

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower 654 (View Post)
Exactly, agreed. Daphne is flawed but still a good person. I think that matters the most - flaws can be worked on and overcome whereas if a character just does 'bad' for the sake of doing it, they become a completely unlikeable person who is not interested in learning from the error of their ways.

Daphne will experience mistakes but will overcome.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm looking forward to seeing Daphne handle the whole Angelo situation I think it could really good material for Katie.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah the whole Angelo situation has given Katie some good material.

Agree Heather.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 PM
Supreme Fan

I think Daphne had some great stuff tonight. Loved her stuff with John and Wilke. Think John is lying though ....
ODO & KIRA (DS9)