Elite Fan

That silver tea set... *sigh*
Old 03-23-2013, 04:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candygirl9890 (View Post)
Aww, I love that he had the little tea set even before the curse broke.
Me too

BlueFox, those are spoilers you are posting!, not allowed spoilers to be posted on this board, this thread will close if you do this again
Old 03-23-2013, 05:31 AM
Master Fan

Aww. The tea set. That is so sweet.

I know we don't like their lack of airtime and it still bothers me.

But what we have gotten for them has been incredible. Between the fact that they are often color coordinated to the way they look at each other, like they are the most beautiful things in the world to each other.

And I do love Gold's slow evolution this year and his seeming tiredness of the revenge angle. I think he just wants peace now.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:35 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_diamond (View Post)
Me too

BlueFox, those are spoilers you are posting!, not allowed spoilers to be posted on this board, this thread will close if you do this again
ohhh sorry didn't know...
Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Master Fan

I miss them.......I miss Rumbelle. I want Rumbelle.....now.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Extreme Fan

Agree...I miss them too...we all do
Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Master Fan

Wow, this is INCREDIBLE!!!!

It makes me SO happy - and yet so sad, because Rumbelle romance has been reduced symbolism. It has yet to happen between the real people.

Aww, Rumple……..I love you so. How I wish we’d see a similar scene between Gold and Belle.

I found it. I fricking found it. And it is HUGELY significant! This tapestry hangs in the Dark Castle, close to the mirror, and do you know what this tapestry is called? No?

Quote:
This tapestry is called “Don du coeur”. Which translates to “The gift of the heart”. And this is the description of said tapestry on the Louvre’s website:

In courtly love the knight experiences different stages in the conquest of his lady; these were codified in the literature of the twelfth century. The gift of the heart is one recurrent theme. Around 1400, when this tapestry was made, the most celebrated and widely known of the courtly writings was the Romance of the Rose. It describes the suitor’s progress through a “Garden of Love” where the rose to be plucked was none other than the lady herself. Let us begin with the knight’s declaration of love. Observe the heart, the symbol of love offered by the lord to his lady…
And the scene where Rum gives her the rose? Right in front of this tapestry. Better still, it’s mirroring the image presented there: the lady in blue, the man in red, handing over a bright red symbol of his love.

In other words, Rumpelstiltskin is playing the part of a courtly lover, because a Medieval tapestry told him so
Old 03-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Passionate Fan

Oh! That makes me wonder about the other tapestries and paintings.

(lengthy asides hidden in spoilers)

OK, we've got one of the unicorn tapestries showing the unicorn confined in a garden. Commentary from the Metropolitan Museum of Art

The Metropolitan Museum of Art - The Unicorn in Captivity (from the Unicorn Tapestries)

Spoiler:

I haven't been able to find the specific tapestry of the two women, but that's clearly a medieval representation of Mary meeting Elizabeth.

Spoiler:

There's a tapestry of a maiden standing alone, a painting of Pharaoh's daughter finding of Moses, a painting of roses, a painting I can't place of a figure in blue entering the house of startled figure in red (the colors match traditional representations of Mary and Elizabeth, so it might be Mary entering Elizabeth's house), and a painting I haven't gotten a good look at that seems to have a group of women walking along. The queens from King Arthur? Perhaps the three goddesses being judged by Paris?

Putting these into a story symbolism--

The maiden alone: Belle.

The Unicorn in the fenced garden: On one level, Belle in captivity at the castle. On another level, the unicorn can fight off entire armies but is captured by a maiden of pureheart. So, it also represents Rumplestiltskin.

As for all the medieval fertility symbols. . . . Sorry, needed to get up and turn the fan on. I'm back.

Roses: Love.

Three goddesses: If that's what the one is, we have the shepherd, Paris (although a weaver, Rumple raised sheep [yes, Paris was a prince but he was raised as a shepherd because of one of those double meaning, doom laden prophecies Rumple knows so much about]), making his choice among the goddesses. Although the question is which is the most beautiful, it could also be taken as Paris making his choice among the things the goddesses represent: Power (Hera/Juno, queen of the gods), wisdom/knowledge (Athena/Minerva, goddess of wisdom), and love/beauty (Aphrodite/Venus, goddess of love and beauty).

I'd like to point out that Athena is one of the virgin goddesses. She specifically represents knowledge that love has no power over. Because, otherwise, I'd say Belle deserves to be respected for her wisdom ahead of her looks.

But, if we look at Rumple's life up to this point as a quest for knowledge and power at the expense of love or any human connection, then the representation of Paris sacrificing the other two for beauty (which is what Belle means) is much more significant.

Arthurian Queens: If that's who they are, Rumple may be in trouble. These are the women who are his helpers and his enemies (some of them are both). They all show up when he's dying and carry him off to Avalon. But, I think I favor Paris.

Now, onto the more complicated part--

Mary and Elizabeth:

This is complicated because this makes the most sense if Mary Margaret is Elizabeth. Or loosely tied to her in general outline.

David initially doesn't believe the "prophecy" of the queen's threat while Snow does. Rumplestiltskin confirms the threat while prophecying that Snow's child will the savior. David doesn't believe him, Snow does. Snow, like Elizabeth, is the one who first names the child.

Like Zechariah, David is struck down protecting his child and getting her to safety. His coma could also be equated to Zechariah's muteness. It also suggests David's ongoing problem under the curse, his vacillating between what he knows is true (his love for Snow) and what he believes is true (his relationship with Kathryn). Zechariah, although a priest, wouldn't believe what seemed impossible, even when an angel told him it was true, and suffered until he learned better.

But, this suggests that Belle may represent Mary, either as a mother or a mother figure for a savior figure who isn't Emma.

By the way, this is probably crazy talk since, if I had to peg it in the story, I'd say--

Spoiler:
this case, tricked herself) into killing Henry when she hadn't meant to.

But, this does raise a possibility that Belle is somehow connected to the child who will be Rumple's undoing.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Master Fan

There's a danger in taking this symbolism too far, so I won't........but I'll just add this:

Quote:
It depicts a unicorn, a rare and elusive creature symbolizing beauty, purity and innocence, that has been captured and is being held in a pen.

However, it does not seem distressed. In fact, it seems quit relaxed and appeased. It even has a collar on it, which denotes whoever owns it is quite fond of it.

The fence surrounding the unicorn is also quite low, meaning the unicorn could easily jump over and escape if it wanted to.

But it doesn’t.

The unicorn is content and happy with its situation, despite being possessed by another.

The symbolism here?

Belle is the unicorn. She is beautiful, pure, and innocent (though not unintelligent). She is also being held captive by Rumpelstiltskin, but… She’s okay with it. She could easily escape, but she doesn’t (as is evident by the fact she returned to Rumpel after being let out to buy more straw).

She is also rare and elusive, to Rumpel, because she gives him something that has also been rare and elusive to him for most of his life; Love.
Skin white as snow, Lips red as blood
Old 03-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
The Dark Castle’s Prophetic Decor

I don’t know how many people noticed (well, you’re Rumbellers, so I imagine you’ve seen Skin Deep enough to notice everything), but there are tapestries decorating the walls of the spinning room in the Dark Castle.

The first time I saw the episode, I didn’t pay much attention to them, but the second time, OH I DID AND THEN SOME. One of the tapestries is in a series called ‘The Hunt of the Unicorn’, and I know a decent amount about them because they are currently weaving replicas at Stirling Castle, which I saw last summer.

The significance is fricking epic, given the context. In the series of tapestries, there is the usual religious allegory and suchlike, but I want to look at the main one from an OUaT perspective.

The unicorn is the mythical creature at the heart of the story. Hunters go after it with weapons and dogs and generally fail to make any impact. Sound familiar? You can’t beat something as powerful as the unicorn.

However, some manipulative regal sends an innocent maiden into the forest, and we all know the kind of girls unicorns like. The innocent maiden, whether accidentally or by misadventure, lures the unicorn into a trap, rendering it vulnerable. It gets captured and its horn, its power, is taken away.

No wonder Rumpelstiltskin flipped the frick out, when even his tapestries are telling him that the pretty virgin is a trap.
A Muse of Fyre • The Dark Castle's Prophetic Decor
Old 03-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Master Fan

Cult Classics and Classic Classics | So I decided to post this.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Master Fan

I so love that pic it looks great also well if you ned another voted I will do it My vote is for: Empty heart and chipped

-Lisa-

Last edited by lisagslack14; 03-23-2013 at 06:33 PM
Old 03-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Loyal Fan

Love the art.

While we were shopping at Costco today, my daughter got a sample of their soda in a little Dixie cup. After a while she shows the cup to me and says, "Look, Mom, it's like Belle's cup." She had chewed the edge so there was a little "chip" taken out of it. I my daughter. So glad I'm raising her right.

Rumbelle are at 56% in this poll. Next round starts tomorrow: http://www.zimbio.com/brackets/TV+Co...h+Madness+2013

Last edited by OUATKatya; 03-23-2013 at 07:01 PM
Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Extreme Fan

Lovely artwork!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Supreme Fan

Love that art .
ODO & KIRA (DS9)