Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracie76 (View Post)
I don't even know why I never thought of Gone with the Wind before. I haven't read the book in several years although now it is open on my Nook and I think I'll be busy with that for the next week or so until we have a new episode.

Really it is perfect and has me the most excited about all of it. Because Zoe is so clearly a Scarlett. And i know that they made reference to Sex and the City int he first episode, but this fits so much better. Scarlett was a spoiled and selfish child at times who did impulsive things. Scarlett loved Ashley because that is who she was supposed to love someone like him. And Ashley was involved at the time (George & Lemon). And Wade well....Rhett is the best description ever of Wade. That southern bad boy type who actually has a heart of gold in there. You see that with Rhett. And Rhett clearly loves Scarlett to distraction and even once they are together he starts to change for the better and is more mature.
I had thought about it before, but it's thinking about that speech that really piqued my curiosity so then I had to go look for it. When I reread it, it seemed so obvious and fitting.

You are right, Scarlett clearly loves an idea of a man she has romanticizied in her head but has not grounding in reality except a vague friendship with Ashley. Ashley is good and honorable (and a total bore btw - way more than G), but he is completely wrong for her. Rhett is the one who's challenging and flawed yet compatible to her. He is there for her at every point, loves her unconditionally for who she is even with all her flaws and even though she disregards him as only a scoundrel. And yes, of all of them, Rhett is the one who actually "gets" it and sees past the false pretenses, plus, beneath his cool exterior, he's the one with the biggest heart and valor when it counts.

Anyway, obviously it's not perfect. Although Z is stubborn and selfish at times, even hurting people who love her in her pursuit of G, she isn't as horrible as Scarlett and I don't think she is as blind either, which bodes well for her realizing what she has with W before it is too late. I think we've already seen glimpses of that.

Still an interesting comparison.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Dedicated Fan

You know, if Dash DeWitt ever catches on that Zoe & Wade resemble Scarlett & Rhett they will never ever have their peace again. I heard Gone with the Wind is Dash's favorite movie.

The Wade I know doesn't cheat! And everything else is just crappy writing!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina82 (View Post)
You know, if Dash DeWitt ever catches on that Zoe & Wade resemble Scarlett & Rhett they will never ever have their peace again. I heard Gone with the Wind is Dash's favorite movie.
I had totally forgotten that!!! See, another GWTW reference.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Elite Fan

I completely forgot that also. And that Magnolia was reciting the stuff for the Christmas pageant. There is no way in hell one of those writers hasn't been reading Gone with the Wind or watching the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapple (View Post)
I had thought about it before, but it's thinking about that speech that really piqued my curiosity so then I had to go look for it. When I reread it, it seemed so obvious and fitting.

You are right, Scarlett clearly loves an idea of a man she has romanticizied in her head but has not grounding in reality except a vague friendship with Ashley. Ashley is good and honorable (and a total bore btw - way more than G), but he is completely wrong for her. Rhett is the one who's challenging and flawed yet compatible to her. He is there for her at every point, loves her unconditionally for who she is even with all her flaws and even though she disregards him as only a scoundrel. And yes, of all of them, Rhett is the one who actually "gets" it and sees past the false pretenses, plus, beneath his cool exterior, he's the one with the biggest heart and valor when it counts.

Anyway, obviously it's not perfect. Although Z is stubborn and selfish at times, even hurting people who love her in her pursuit of G, she isn't as horrible as Scarlett and I don't think she is as blind either, which bodes well for her realizing what she has with W before it is too late. I think we've already seen glimpses of that.

Still an interesting comparison.
I wouldn't expect them to be 100% exact because I do think that they use other literature and things to influence them when they create characters. You also have the SatC reference which is big on the NY stuff for Zoe. So you cross that with GWTW and you probably get Zoe. But the other parallels are just way too similar to actually not consider.

And I wouldn't want it to be exact. I love GWTW but Rhett could be a real ass at times and Scarlett was a selfish bitch. But they worked. I wouldn't want Wade publicly shaming Zoe like Rhett did when he caught Scarlett with Ashley and made her wear the red harlot dress to the party.

Last edited by Tracie76; 11-03-2012 at 10:32 AM
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I wouldn't expect them to be 100% exact because I do think that they use other literature and things to influence them when they create characters. You also have the SatC reference which is big on the NY stuff for Zoe. So you cross that with GWTW and you probably get Zoe. But the other parallels are just way too similar to actually not consider.

And I wouldn't want it to be exact. I love GWTW but Rhett could be a real ass at times and Scarlett was a selfish bitch. But they worked.
Nah, of course it isn't exact nor should it be (that would pretty much be plagiarism LOL Random note: Somebody did that and was sued btw. The book is called "La bicyclette bleue" by Régine Deforges - the author ended up winning in court, although I can't possibly understand why, because it is a total rip-off, only in French and set during WWII).

It's just fun to see these little similarities and that speech had plenty of them.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Nah, of course it isn't exact nor should it be (that would pretty much be plagiarism LOL Random note: Somebody did that and was sued btw. The book is called "La bicyclette bleue" by Régine Deforges - the author ended up winning in court, although I can't possibly understand why, because it is a total rip-off, only in French and set during WWII).

It's just fun to see these little similarities and that speech had plenty of them.
As for the first part see 50 Shades of Grey vs. Twilight. Sometimes if you change it just enough you can get away with it. Haven't read Twilight and wouldn't recommend 50 Shades unless you like to read just to see how much worse something can actually get.

And yes that speech is a perfect example of all of episode 3.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

tftnt!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysCB (View Post)

I love the little pinch W does - so cute. Also love Lavon's face at having to witness all the ZW flirting
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

They are so cute
Old 11-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Elite Fan

Love that pinch as well.

Thinking about references that the show uses I remembered Wade's reference to John Wayne in the premiere. That is my other favorite movie of all time - The Quiet Man. And now it occurs to me why I love ZW so much. They remind me of some of my favorite literary and movie couples and the John Wayne/Maureen O'Hara combo in movies like The Quiet Man and McLintock are perfect examples.

lol yes I love old movies especially hopelessly romantic ones.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Love that pinch as well.

Thinking about references that the show uses I remembered Wade's reference to John Wayne in the premiere. That is my other favorite movie of all time - The Quiet Man. And now it occurs to me why I love ZW so much. They remind me of some of my favorite literary and movie couples and the John Wayne/Maureen O'Hara combo in movies like The Quiet Man and McLintock are perfect examples.

lol yes I love old movies especially hopelessly romantic ones.
I love those movies. I think you are the first person I've known that also loves them. Old movies ftw

And Zade remind me of a lot of older couples that I love. The bantering and joking around reminds me of a lot of the screwball comedies couples (for ex. It Happened One Night)
Old 11-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlgreenie (View Post)
I love those movies. I think you are the first person I've known that also loves them. Old movies ftw

And Zade remind me of a lot of older couples that I love. The bantering and joking around reminds me of a lot of the screwball comedies couples (for ex. It Happened One Night)
I love these older movies too and so many of them had that same sexy intellectual sparring + love/hate + inexplicable attraction dynamic. It's worked for so many great romantic love stories in different incarnations really: Elizabeth/Mr Darcy in Pride and Prejudice (although this one is a little different, there is still a bit of this challenging the other dynamic), Rhett/Scarlett in GWTW, heck even Shakespeare had it with Benedick/Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing. I guess it just works.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I love these older movies too and so many of them had that same sexy intellectual sparring + love/hate + inexplicable attraction dynamic. It's worked for so many great romantic love stories in different incarnations really: Elizabeth/Mr Darcy in Pride and Prejudice (although this one is a little different, there is still a bit of this challenging the other dynamic), Rhett/Scarlett in GWTW, heck even Shakespeare had it with Benedick/Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing. I guess it just works.
With Elizabeth and Darcy I think that is where the class distinction thing comes in although obviously the reverse with Zoe being Darcy and Elizabeth being Wade in reference to class.

lol now in addition to Sweet Home Alabama and Gone with the Wind I have a bunch of other stuff to rewatch and more stuff to look up. I think I'm going to have a very busy Christmas hiatus.

And old movies are great. Back when AMC showed nothing but old movies I'd watch it around the clock.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Elite Fan

I just saw that on Tumblr. I can't believe all the great moments they've had so far and we are only 5 episodes in.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread