Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Dedicated Fan

I pretty much lost interest in Buffy after the split to Angel. It just felt like Whedon cashing in too much and the script really suffered. Its an overhyped show to me. And the whole Dawn thing was irritating. Its an unpopular opinion to not like Buffy post season 4 but I just didnt.

I always did like Spike though, if anyone should have had a spinoff it was him!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Aww, that sounds great, Roon! I hope you and your son have a nice time, and stay indoors where it's warm. I forgot, do you live near Edinbourgh? And is it pronounced Edinbourgh or Edinbourough?
Thank you

Oof Im not good at translating accents into type but "Eddenbragh" or "Edinborough" ... depending on which part of town you are from
Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, Whedon created the Angel spinoff because there were things he just couldn't do on Buffy, and he wanted a more adult-oriented show. Angel was intended to be a more supernatural/noir detective series, but it started to go "scooby gang" after a while. I preferred it when it was just Angel/Cordelia/Wesley in season one and two, but I do think Angel's fifth and final season was some of its best work. And yeah, Buffy didn't interest me much in the later seasons either, but the Spuffy fans loved it. the Hush episode was great, though.

I know, May. I shipped Xander/Willow as well! Especially after the Lover's Walk episode when Spike kidnapped them and they were in bed together. the way she cried in the girl's bathroom after finding out that Xander had a one-night stand with Faith broke my heart. I never bought Willow just "turning lesbian" like that. I thought it was PC pandering on Whedon's part. No one just changes, and lesbians don't pine for their male childhood romances like Willow did with Xander. At the most she had to be bisexual.

and thanks for clarifying the Edinborou....whatever for me, Roon.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Well, Whedon created the Angel spinoff because there were things he just couldn't do on Buffy, and he wanted a more adult-oriented show. Angel was intended to be a more supernatural/noir detective series, but it started to go "scooby gang" after a while. I preferred it when it was just Angel/Cordelia/Wesley in season one and two, but I do think Angel's fifth and final season was some of its best work. And yeah, Buffy didn't interest me much in the later seasons either, but the Spuffy fans loved it. the Hush episode was great, though.

I know, May. I shipped Xander/Willow as well! Especially after the Lover's Walk episode when Spike kidnapped them and they were in bed together. the way she cried in the girl's bathroom after finding out that Xander had a one-night stand with Faith broke my heart. I never bought Willow just "turning lesbian" like that. I thought it was PC pandering on Whedon's part. No one just changes, and lesbians don't pine for their male childhood romances like Willow did with Xander. At the most she had to be bisexual.

and thanks for clarifying the Edinborou....whatever for me, Roon.
Dont quite agree on Whedon's reasoning behind Angel, still felt like an excuse to stretch the Buffy universe out too much to make money, although season one was ok. Wesley was pretty much the star of it! Didnt get past early season 2 so cant comment on season 5 Im afraid. And I felt the same about Willow, her relationships other than Xander and Oz never worked.

He is better as a film director now, more scope for his "visions". Was pleasantly surprised by the Avengers.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 AM
Elite Fan

Tara was one of my favourite characters and I'm usually all for the femslash but I didn't feel it with Willow. Frankly apart from Buffy and Angel I didn't feel any romance on the show. One of my favourite things about season 6 was Tara's and Buffy's friendship.

Ach "The Avengers"... whenever I read that I think of John Steed, Emma Peel and Cathy Gale. So I'm always incredibly disappointed when I realise people are talking about that movie.

Feeling so ill since yesterday even more so... idek. So I won't be around much but what else is new...

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Dedicated Fan

Hope you feel a bit better soon Nina

My issue was never with the femslash, just didnt work with Willow for me.

And I love the old Avengers. Diana Rigg was just stunning, a real icon of the 60s for me
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Master Fan

Sorry to hear that Nina, I hope you feel better soon!

And OMG YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND ME! I remained pissed at Whedon for making Willow gay all of a sudden.. like she never actually fell in love with Xander or Oz.. it was just stupid, I thought Tara was ok, like I didn't hate her.. well maybe in S4 but that's just because she was included in the combo plot.. and I hated that plot.

But all my life, I've witnessed how people praise Tara/Willow and no one ever thinks that story came out of NOWHERE so I'm very thankful you all agree with me.. for the first time SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME ON THIS. I NEED A MOMENT.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Nina, I know my sudden hugs scare you, but I wanted to give you one anyway.

I think I'm a bit old fashion an all that stuff, about the femlash and everything. I've tried reading such stuff, but just doesn't work for me.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, I did like the Angel/Cordelia pairing, Roon. I was a huge shipper of those two. Whedon didn't have much to do with Angel after season two. He was busy developing Firefly and Tim Minear took over most of the production and writing responsibilities on Angel. Buffy became a mess once it left WB and moved to UPN. Spuffy fans still liked it. I knew Joss Whedon would do a great job with The Avengers, Roon, because I saw how good he was with Firefly and Serenity, and he knows comic books.

You watched the UK version of The Avengers, Nina? You too, Roon? My mom loved that show when she was a teenager, and she watched reruns of it with me when I was a kid. She named my sister Diana after Diana Rigg. She named me after another TV spy, Robert Wagner's cat-burglar turned CIA agent character Alexander Mundy on It Takes A Thief.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well, Nina. I know you don't like it when I do this, but I'm still hoping you feel a little better anyway.
Okay, you can get mad at me if you want to.

Yes, May. I totally get you. I've been saying this for years that Tara/Willow just seemed contrived. And Oz was just a rebound for Xander. I was hoping that after Xander saved Willow from her "Dark Willow" moment and declared his love for her that they'd end up together at the end, but that didn't happen. I still say Xander is the love of her life.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Master Fan

And Angel is Buffy's and we all end up happy in our little bubble
Old 01-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, I kinda had to go back to Buffy/Angel after Cordelia died on Angel. Her ghost got to say goodbye to Angel at the end.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm more like Spuffy here, so...

In other news, I went to vote today. I don't know why I'm still doing it though. People in my country didn't vote that much anymore. And now, I'm listening a Soundtrack for "Fifty Shades of Gray". Good times

Last edited by BL.Arinna_1982; 01-27-2013 at 10:58 AM
Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGSAFDMD (View Post)
But all my life, I've witnessed how people praise Tara/Willow and no one ever thinks that story came out of NOWHERE so I'm very thankful you all agree with me.. for the first time SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME ON THIS. I NEED A MOMENT.
I was ok with Willow/Tara but I totally agree it came out of the blue. I don't mind female slash at all but Willow/Tara was kind of bland. Then the moment it got better they killed Tara off. It seemed incredible pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roon (View Post)
I pretty much lost interest in Buffy after the split to Angel. It just felt like Whedon cashing in too much and the script really suffered. Its an overhyped show to me. And the whole Dawn thing was irritating. Its an unpopular opinion to not like Buffy post season 4 but I just didnt.
I can't believe someone thinks like me I think Buffy is the most overrated show ever. I loved the show during the first seasons but S6 & S7 were AWFUL. It's almost on the same level of Skins S4 for me.

I think Buffy should have ended in S5. That was the perfect ending.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Master Fan

I completely agree ^ S5 was a great ending.. S6 and S7 were mostly stupid IMO.
Alex, I did watch the episode where Cordelia dies and her spirit goes to say goodbye.. I almost cried, and not because of Angel, but thinking I saw her for 3 years in BTVS and she ended up like that I just felt really sad.

Arinna.. if you're stelena you cannot be Spuffy.. c'mon, some coherence here please! lol

Nelly, I agree with you on Skins and I don't agree with you at the same time, I think S4 was really good at first and ended up being revoltingly disappointing. I blame 4x07 mostly. S5 was ok but the spark was gone, it wasn't the same anymore. And I'm just not even going there with S6...
Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring of fire (View Post)
I can't believe someone thinks like me I think Buffy is the most overrated show ever. I loved the show during the first seasons but S6 & S7 were AWFUL. It's almost on the same level of Skins S4 for me.

I think Buffy should have ended in S5. That was the perfect ending.
I know unpopular opinion right! But hey I have watched Firefly which was ok, and Dollhouse which bored me to tears. I noticed with Firefly that the film Serenity was so so much better and thats one of the reasons I think he should stick to film rather than TV now, it suits his style better.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread