Old 08-13-2018, 07:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Premieres:
S5 was amazing
S2 so fun to watch
S1 only because now it’s funnt to see how...yikes it is
S3 the whole Wanheda thing didn’t do it for me
S4 boring, with stupid camera angles

I hope Jordan doesn’t have a condition and lives to be...100!

Old 08-13-2018, 07:36 AM
Elite Fan

^I might switch the last two but otherwise, that would be my list as well

Kate | art thread | tumblr | icon
Old 08-13-2018, 07:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Lisa ... I had forgotten about the horrible close up, camera angles (also, don't forget the overly loud music).

Hmm, I would probably switch out numbers 3 and 4 on Lisa's list but otherwise, the same. I actually liked the season 3 premiere, it was the other episodes I had issues with. Especially 3X03 and 3X04.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 08-13-2018, 05:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I liked the season 4 premiere, weird camera angles and all.
ICON
Old 08-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Hart of Dixie

*Tries to remember* What weird camera angles?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Super weird like, chin closeups Kind of reminiscent of the jarring camera angles in the Dark Year flashback.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I can't remember this. See, this is another example of how I desperately need to rewatch the series before season 6 starts.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Here is an example of the chin-angle:

Old 08-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

So, I just noticed the log dates in a screenshot of Monty’s video announcing Jordan’s birth ... in the year 2158. That would mean the original nuclear war/apocalypse happened around 2050 right?

I know, I know, I should just enjoy the show and not ask it to be realistic, but we can’t even get a ship back to the moon right now, in 2018! The whole Eligius storyline, which assumes humanity had perfected interstellar travel and sent several mining missions off before 2050, seems wildly unbelievable in that timeframe.

Or am I mistaken somehow about the dates?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

The timeline in general is weird. I don't let it affect my enjoyment of the show at all, but things like the grounder culture forming and their lack of knowledge of their origins after just 97 years feels off.

From what I understand, the books have 300 years passing between the nuclear apocalypse and the start of the series.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallor8 (View Post)
The timeline in general is weird. I don't let it affect my enjoyment of the show at all, but things like the grounder culture forming and their lack of knowledge of their origins after just 97 years feels off.

From what I understand, the books have 300 years passing between the nuclear apocalypse and the start of the series.
300 years would have made more sense! It doesn’t really affect my enjoyment of the show, but did kinda make me do a doubletake when I noticed that date.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFan (View Post)
300 years would have made more sense! It doesn’t really affect my enjoyment of the show, but did kinda make me do a doubletake when I noticed that date.
Exactly, we've discussed this point in the General Discussion thread before, I believe but 100 years really doesn't seem realistic in terms of developing an entirely new, complex society and culture like what the Grounders had. 300 years would have made a lot more sense.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 08-14-2018, 06:28 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer of worlds (View Post)
Exactly, we've discussed this point in the General Discussion thread before, I believe but 100 years really doesn't seem realistic in terms of developing an entirely new, complex society and culture like what the Grounders had. 300 years would have made a lot more sense.
I sort of agree and sort of don't. I think we've gotten enough hints now that the Grounder culture didn't just evolve organically, the original "Grounders" (whether that was remnants of Cadogan's cult or someone else entirely, we don't know for sure yet) passed down info and stories to their children which would shape their culture and beliefs in a specific way. (The Flame was something mystical/magical rather than advanced tech, for example.) Add to that the fact that 100 years is longer than it sounds in terms of culture changing and evolving (the U.S.A. has only existed for less than 250 years, for example) and I can see it happening.

But I totally agree that IRL we're not anywhere near being as advanced by the year 2050 as we need to be for the events of this show to take place. That's 32 years from now. That's within MY lifetime. Not happening.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Hart of Dixie

Just have to suspend our belief when it comes to the timeline
Old 08-14-2018, 06:57 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn74 (View Post)
I sort of agree and sort of don't. I think we've gotten enough hints now that the Grounder culture didn't just evolve organically, the original "Grounders" (whether that was remnants of Cadogan's cult or someone else entirely, we don't know for sure yet) passed down info and stories to their children which would shape their culture and beliefs in a specific way. (The Flame was something mystical/magical rather than advanced tech, for example.) Add to that the fact that 100 years is longer than it sounds in terms of culture changing and evolving (the U.S.A. has only existed for less than 250 years, for example) and I can see it happening.

But I totally agree that IRL we're not anywhere near being as advanced by the year 2050 as we need to be for the events of this show to take place. That's 32 years from now. That's within MY lifetime. Not happening.

Good point about the fact that we do not know how much grounder culture was "articifically" set up by Becca/ and or Cadogan instead or organically evolving (given the fact that there was no more functioning tech and all).

However, I disagree about the timeline still. A 100 years is barely 4 generations and even if life expectancy was shorter after the nuclear holocaust, it still seems too short somehow. Also the US being only 250 years old, how culturally significantly different is the US compared to the countries where most people came from really? Not that drastic imo.

And if you think about all that happened in the last 30 years of our lifetime, there were barely computers 30 years ago, no internet, no cell phones. Since then we have made amazing strides. From medical procedures to cloning techniques to self-driving cars, I would not rule out that we develop real space travel or cryo chambers etc..

Kate | art thread | tumblr | icon