Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2017, 11:32 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss the wind (View Post)
exactly the type of guy you'd want as a friend.
Monty This is so true. Of all the characters, he'd be my top pick to be friends with.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss the wind (View Post)
April picking Bellamy???? You know what that means. Time to break out my fave gif:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e717a6a0...uxre3m_500.gif
Perfect usage of the GIF again.

Amazing post, April. How long did it take you to write that up? I don't have the patience, frankly. #badfan

Quote:
I think sometimes people think they're showing their appreciation for a character when they blindly defend that character, but I think a far more appreciative thing is to really dig into ALL aspects of that character, the good and the bad, to form a more well-rounded opinion. Maybe people are afraid it means they love the character less if they acknowledge their flaws, but in contrast, I think it's led me to love the character more.
I love that we can still appreciate what a complex/layered character Bellamy is without justifying his actions because even if you're a fan of a character, I feel like it's extremely important to acknowledge instances where he/she isn't perfect and has done something ethically/morally wrong etc. I won't rehash it too much since I've spoken about it various times in the past but season 3 Bellamy was very hard to watch at times .... thankfully, Bob pulled it off as brilliantly as he could, under the circumstances. And his redemption in season 4 has been hard fought, and though it did feel contrived to me that one time, the rest of it has felt very natural and ... earned.

And I love that your favourite male is Monty, Amelia. I liked what you said about Monty being the light of the show, and yet you can see how the show can go in the opposite direction with him at the same time. (Though I suspect that Monty will always be a precious cinnamon roll to me. ) And YES, he's the best friend you could ever hope for. Honestly.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 06-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It's incredibly important as a viewer to be critical of what you're watching, instead of blindly loving something or brushing aside faults in the name of like...just being a stan. When I see people bashing the show for "promoting" things, it's a fair point but promotion is also in the eyes of the viewer. You take that information and do with it what you want. It's your responsibility to dissect that information and sort it right from wrong. The same goes for characters in the shows you're watching.

I think this show is great at giving us characters that aren't perfect, and who do crappy things without necessarily being crappy people. Or, sometimes they are crappy people but they're just trying to get by. I get really frustrated seeing fans blindly hating characters as well, based on one action they've done.

That said...

Favourite Ark-Born Male Character...

Bellamy Blake

So, I don't love Bellamy because he's hot and has nice arms. Does that help? Sure why not! I love Bellamy because he's IMO the best-written character on the entire show. THe fact he's portrayed by such a talented actor only propels the character further.

There have been times (many) when I've wanted to wring Bellamy's neck, and times when I felt sorrow for him. This show has done an excellent job of showing us every facet of his personality so we can truly understand his character, what makes him tick and what keeps him alive.

In season 1 Bellamy started off as a complete douche-canoe, but we knew instantly why. That was enough to keep me interested right off the bat. Oh, we've got a dude-bro here? Yawn. Oh, he's overprotective of his sister? Yawn. A couple of episodes in, we saw that there was more than meets the eye and that there was a heart inside that Bradbury exterior.

In season 2 he grew into a hero of sorts, which was a refreshing way to see him and it was excellent growth compared to some of his actions in season 1.

Season 3 was incredibly polarizing, primarily due to bad writing, but in essence because he took a dark turn based on his own fears. Having him overcome that fear was essential to his growth, and I think we've seen in season 4 that he's finally let go of the past and everything he's always been afraid of/afraid of losing/etc. I would say Bradbury is officially dead, so let's hold an RIP Bradbury party and all slick our hair back while strutting around like big shots.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:33 PM
Supreme Fan

Oh hey, me too

Day 2: Favorite Ark-Born Male Character

Bellamy Blake

x

My first impression of Bellamy was that he had a super weird
name. My second impression was that he was a huge jerk. And
yet, somehow, he has become my favorite character. Watching
Bellamy try to become a better man, with mixed results, has been
one of the best parts of the show for me. He is another character
that is deeply flawed, but that is part of what makes him someone
I love to watch on screen every week. There are characters who we
know will do the right thing, and then there are the characters we
hope will do the right thing. I think that having that hope without the
certainty is what makes him a character that I really enjoy rooting for.

Honorable Mentions:
Monty Green
Marcus Kane
Old 06-18-2017, 12:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

The TV challenge is rough, Im barely keeping up with him. I end up missing like 6 days in a row and then having to post them all at once but its fun. This one seems way easier because its not daily like that one is.

I cheated on this but I had to...

April that post is phenomenal!

Day 1: Favorite Ark-Born Female

Raven Reyes

Not a shock, I am sure. I always talk about how much I love Raven.
Which is funny because when she first came into the show I really
didn't like her all that much and found her a little annoying. Probably
because of the dumb SL with Finn. But I love that they pulled her away
from that and made her a really strong independent female character.
She has done so many courageous and amazing things on the show
and I love her fierceness and how she uses her brain. She just seems
the most honest and relatable to me from all of the girls on the show.

Day 2: Favorite Ark-Born Male

John Murphy & Bellamy Blake

It's a legit tie between Bellamy and Murphy, I cant choose
so don't you dare make me. I see so much of myself in Murphy, its
a bit scary. Despite the whole killing thing in the beginning I just love
how cold Murphy is and how honest he is. I love his sense of humor
and his growth over the series has just been amazing to witness.
And BAE BELLAMY. I mean, that voice, that hair, everything that man
does is just sdfsdfsdfs to me. My love for him is just a bit harder to pin
down but I just love how strong he is and how much of a leader he is.
He too has grown a lot since the start of the show and when he's at
his best, trying to save people and do the right thing, he's flawless.

Last edited by Alexa; 06-23-2017 at 05:42 PM
Old 06-18-2017, 01:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So much Bellamy love up in here! And Alexa, I totally knew you'd have those two guys tied. Didn't know who you'd have as your favorite girl, though. And thanks, I'm glad you liked my post.

Sarah, it took me hours, not gonna lie. Well, it didn't take me long to write up, actually, but it took me a while to organize.

Lisa, I legit laughed out loud when I read "douche-canoe." And your last line. Oh, btw, I love that gif you chose. One of my favorite Bellamy gifs.

Marie, I love that your first impression was that he had a really weird name. And I love what you wrote about him.

Amelia, yay for Monty! Even though I don't personally have him in my Top 10 characters, I do like him and find it very easy to root for him.
ICON
Old 06-18-2017, 06:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Love your lists, Lisa/Marie/Alexa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxury (View Post)
It's incredibly important as a viewer to be critical of what you're watching, instead of blindly loving something or brushing aside faults in the name of like...just being a stan. When I see people bashing the show for "promoting" things, it's a fair point but promotion is also in the eyes of the viewer. You take that information and do with it what you want. It's your responsibility to dissect that information and sort it right from wrong. The same goes for characters in the shows you're watching.
Well said, Lisa. It's easy to judge a character from one/two actions and sometimes, it's well deserved but other times, I feel like it's unfair to peg a character down based on his/her mistakes (when it's a case of the character trying his/her best to do what is right but unfortunately falters when trying to do so). On the flipside, it's always important to remove the rose-coloured glasses once in a while and acknowledge that even our most favourite characters are not immune from flaws. That should be embraced and recognised, rather than being glossed over. And like you said, at the end of the day, it's how the viewer chooses to interpret what is presented on the show and not just accepting everything you see as gospel.

Quote:
I would say Bradbury is officially dead, so let's hold an RIP Bradbury party and all slick our hair back while strutting around like big shots.
And thank God for that.

Marie, I agree that watching Bellamy's character development from season to season is a large part of why I love him. And I really liked what you said here:

Quote:
I think that having that hope without the certainty is what makes him a character that I really enjoy rooting for.
I'm not surprised about Alexa having both Murphy and Bellamy on her list either.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 06-18-2017, 09:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Day Two - Favorite Ark-born Male Character

Bellamy Blake

I can't say that I loved him right away, but I knew right in the first episode that
there would be more to Bellamy than being the anti-hero.
His love for his sister was evident right away and there is almost nothing I love
more than a great siblings-relationship.
What can I say, I love protective big brothers

And Bellamy did not disappoint. He was so much more than he seemed to be right
in the beginning
He really became a leader. One who clearly cares for the people he's taking care off
and trying to protect them, at great costs if necessary.

He's frustrated me at times and I still think some developments should've been
written better and/or given more time to develop.
But in the end, he's always come back to being a person I love

I really appreciate that right from season 1, he's never been afraid to show his emotions.
That the show has written a strong male character to have feels. And let him cry.
Though in a complete other way than Octavia, I can relate to him and just love him
Gifs

01 | 02

Last edited by girl under the floor; 06-27-2017 at 12:05 PM
Old 06-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Day 1: Favourite Ark-born female character?

Raven Reyes (*insert Amelia's gif* )

She is one of the (if not the) smartest people on the show. During last year's posting challenge I posted about why I love Raven and I mentioned that I love her brain.

The most admirable thing about her is her strength to keep going, her courage to never give up.

She is such a brave and inspiring character, she's not flawless though, a mistake with a lot of characters is often that if they are bad ass or brave, they are never let to be vulnerable or doubt themselves. She's shown to be very confident but also shown to doubt herself occasionally, amplified in season 3 and 4 because of her disability.

I loved her arc this season because it just focused on her, I was prepared for her to die tbh because she accepted her fate which was opposite to what we usually got to see. I think this also showed courage though, Lindsey said her decision to float herself was selfish but I thought it wasn't because it showed character growth, she accepted her fate, it was sad and bittersweet but also courageous in a way. But then her instincts kicked in and she pulled herself back up.

I also love that Raven is not only a mechanic but the best one and her gender is never mentioned, she's just a mechanic and nobody compares. The girl build a pod from scratch.

Also, Raven's smile, she's a ray of sunshine.

My other love letter to Raven:

http://www.fanforum.com/87069544-post247.html

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Love it Paulina
Old 06-18-2017, 01:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thank you Paula.

Day 2: Favourite Ark-born male character

Monty Green aka the cinnamon roll of the show

First things first: His confidence.

One of the most level-headed and rationale characters on the show. Barely ever lets his emotions cloud his judgement. I'm amazed that he's still able to keep himself in check and is able to not let the frustration and anger he must be feeling to take over. I think one of the scenes that describe him the best is when he replies with I have to when asked if he's ok. He always pushes through his pain, it's admirable but also a bit concerning because what is his limit? He has to break at some point. Explore that, writers.

He's always there for his friends, always tries to make sure they are safe. That's why it was especially heartbreaking to watch him trying to save Jasper this season, he was trying so desperately to find a way to make Jasper want to live again but wasn't able to. Monty deserves a hug.

One thing that never got really explored but always interested me is his moral code, throughout the show we’ve seen glimpses of it being a bit skewed (like the scene with Maya showing them the grounders and him saying they should die) but the show never really focused on it, at least not in an arc that just focused on Monty. Bottom line: I just want to know more about Monty.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love it Paulina!
Love the gif you chose!
Monty Love
Old 06-18-2017, 06:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oooh, nice guys! I love seeing Monty-love.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

i kinda wanted to pick octavia and murphy just to be ~different but oh well. had to be honest lol.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:27 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
Bottom line: I just want to know more about Monty.
I love everything you said about Monty but this really sums it up nicely