Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristalBuddy (View Post)
I hope they expand on that a little. Not that Lux gives Cate the cold shoulder but the repercussion of that inner turmoil she's had inside when Cate never came back for her. Like in Family Therapized, when Lux said "I'm more messed up inside than you know" (or something like that)...I just want to see something more come from that. What has she been through? Will she open up and tell Cate? How will Cate take it? Will she slowly start to blame herself even more than she already has?

Things need to go downhill in order to get better and I think they all need to confront the skeletons in their closet. Lux can't keep it all inside forever and the only person I think she'd feel comfortable (in her current, new life) to share it with would be Cate.
I totally agree. I really hope they expand on what Lux has been through. One thing that really annoyed me last season was how hard many fans were on Lux-she was constantly being called a selfish, ungrateful brat. I always felt like she'd been through a lot and we needed to understand and sympathize with her. Of course she's not going to be as well-adjusted as most teens. I think a lot of people finally realized she really had been through a lot in Family Therapized. We know she was physically abused-shoved into a wall (i think) and we know creepy foster dads hit on her so possibly she was sexually abused or at least put in uncomfortable situations. I'd like them to delve deeper into what she's been through and I'd like to see Cate's reaction. I would guess Cate would blame herself, but she'd probably also have a new understanding of why Lux acts the way she does and why she had such a hard time forgiving Cate.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Elite Fan

It bothers me that people put so much blame on Lux when she can't really help it. If LUX takes a turn for more darker themes I really wouldn't mind. The show would draw in a more mature audience and it would seriously blow me away if Liz takes it there. I hope they don't shy away from real issues that plague kids like Lux, Tasha, and Bug. Cate's involvement to try to make things right would just amplify how real this show is. It's so relateable even if viewers aren't adopted/orphaned/a Baze/a Cate...
I mean, if they confront darker issues and show how a mother protects her child from all of that this show would gain much more respect from me. More than it already has
Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Dedicated Fan

Again, I totally agree. And, yes, there are kids who are abused physically or sexually that aren't in foster care who would relate to those story lines. In fan fiction, a couple of writers wrote about Lux trying to commit suicide, which is pretty dark. I don't think she would do that now, but maybe she would have been in such a bad place in the past that she would have considered it. Liz did an interview (before people ask, I'm sorry I don't have the link or remember where I read it, it was a long time ago), but anyway, she said she'd go as dark as the CW would let her go. She talked about a story line involving a drug deal gone bad that the CW said was too far away from what the show was. Maybe the CW is really strict about dark story lines since it targets younger teens (although Gossip Girl has had some dark story lines.) Maybe they're even stricter with Life Unexpected because it's supposed to be more of a family show
Old 09-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Loyal Fan

This really would be a good show for cable or another network that would let it explore those darker themes. I'm not saying I want everything to be dark and angsty, but I do want some of that. We've been given every indication that Lux has been through a lot so I hope they actually let us in on some of that.

I can see Cate blaming herself if she were to find out Lux's past. But it might also provide her the chance to let Lux know that she's her protector now. I liked the scene where Bug punches Jones and Cate jumps into Mama Bear mode. I'd like to see more of that.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Passionate Fan

In my opinion this is the most complicated relationship in all the show.
And the worst rated one.
I stopped reading episodes' reviews (in web sites) because no one goes deep enough to try to be in both women shoes.
Both are so wounded and unfairly treated it's a shame reviewers are so shallow but blunt when judging.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Total Fan

My only issue with Lux was how hard she came down on Cate and not Baze but by the end of the season I totally got why. And now I'm fine with it. I just hope she sort of TRIES to move past that and just enjoy her new phase in life. It won't be perfect but it has to be better then what it was. And I think jus tlike Cate she's going to have a hard time learning to trust people which ultimately will play a huge part in any relationship she comes across.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjojd (View Post)
This really would be a good show for cable or another network that would let it explore those darker themes. I'm not saying I want everything to be dark and angsty, but I do want some of that. We've been given every indication that Lux has been through a lot so I hope they actually let us in on some of that.
I'm with you on that. I don't want it to take a complete turn where the show will be unrecognizable from what we all came to love but some risks need to be taken too.

Liz saying that she'll go as dark as they'll let her is a first step. It means she's not afraid of the outcome or judgement, she wants her show to stay on the air therefore she'll play by the rules. Hopefully they give her the creative freedom to delve into these issues so they can face Lux's past together.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I felt bad for both Cate and Baze when it came down to it. Yes, Cate got a lot of the heat from Lux, but when you found out why Baze didn't "ouch". In the end though I understood where both Cate and Lux stand and I still love them. It's not a black and white issue. Neither were the "bad" guy. It's more complex than that.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Dedicated Fan

I felt bad for all three of them (Baze, Cate and Lux), but I felt the most sympathy for Lux. I think my reason is that none of what happened to Lux is in any way her fault or the result of a mistake she made. Don't get me wrong. I feel bad for Cate and Baze. I don't think anyone wants to get pregnant in high school. I think Cate did what she thought was best for Lux. She knew she couldn't take care of a baby at sixteen with no support and thought Lux would have a better life. She had no way of knowing Lux wouldn't be adopted. She feels awful now and is trying really hard to make it right.

But, she probably shouldn't have slept with a guy she barely knew when she was sixteen. I'm not trying to be judgmental. Like I said, I still feel bad for her. It's just a bad situation. But I do feel worse for Lux because Lux was just thrown into foster care through no fault of her own. I always feel worse for the kids no matter what the situation because they are innocent and can't help themselves-I feel bad for Bug and Tasha and anyone else who has to go through that much as a child.

I don't think the blame necessarily lies with Cate, but I can understand why Lux would blame her for giving her up. Especially now that she's seen what a great mom can be. She always thought she'd be better off with her birth parents, but now she knows she would have been better off with Cate-Cate wouldn't have thrown her into a wall when she was little or dealt prescription drugs. Cate would have loved her and taken care of her.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Total Fan

yeah she shouldn't of been sleeping around w/ a guy she didn't know but Baze should of also kept it in his pants and as she said, "used a condom" ....it takes two to make a baby so they're both in the wrong.
That being said knowing what we know now. Baze obviously was a bit irresponsible and Cate knew that this wasn't going to be a good situation. Baze basically got to wipe his hands of the situation and walk away where Cate had to deal w/ it for 9 months and probably in her heart the rest of her life. I don't think you ever forget about the day you birth a child or where she is at or what she's doing but at some point you have to believe she's happy and thriving. Cate didn't know she was still stuck in Foster care.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

I think it was established that Baze did use a condom...it just didn't work. It happens. So...he wasn't trying to be "irresponsible" in that sense.

Obviously, both Cate and Baze were in the wrong when they hooked-up in high school. Both of them made a mistake. They were both 16! Therefore, I understand and I have forgiven them. They are both very flawed. But, since Lux has come back into their lives, they have both shown that they want to improve. That's why I root for them.

I admire Cate greatly for giving birth to Lux and doing what she thought was best for her daughter. We all know she had options other than adoption. She made the loving and selfless choice to give life to Lux and give her a chance. It must have been so difficult for her to give Lux up.

I truely hate what Baze did in high school - abandoning Cate and their child. He seemed content to just believe that Cate had "taken care of it." Disgusting...and COWARDLY. But, I won't judge him, either. He was young and scared. It might seem that he wiped his hands of the situation...but clearly he did not get off scot-free. At 17, he shut down and stopped maturing because of the shame he felt. He has lived with that shame for 16 long years!

I'm thrilled that both Cate and Baze now have a chance to "make up" for the past and be there for Lux. I feel sympathy for all three of them, but Lux is the only one who was entirely innocent.

Last edited by kerbear28; 09-02-2010 at 12:47 PM
Old 09-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yeah, I understand and I don't blame Cate and Baze for what happened either, but I think the reason I feel a little bit more sympathy towards Lux is because she is the only one who was completely innocent in the situation and she has paid the price for their mistake for fifteen years. I still feel bad for all three of them and I respect that Cate and Baze have been trying to make it right. Not everyone would step up the way they have. Tasha's mom wouldn't take her and she hadn't given Tasha up for adoption. That's pretty awful. Cate's dad didn't want to be a part of her life and he hadn't given her up. I imagine a lot of people who gave their kid up for adoption wouldn't be so willing to take responsibility for their kid fifteens years later. Cate and Baze are obviously trying to do the right thing.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Total Fan

ok I was under the impression that in the pilot Cate made mention of him not using a condom but what she says is if you hadn't used a condom that had been in your wallet for 2 years.....so I sort of mis-interpreted that.

Well either way it still takes two people to do the deed and two people to create a life. So both to blame. And Cate yes was a lot less selfish by choosing life where Baze thought she "took care of it" meaning abortion. But now they're grown and they both realize their mistakes and by choosing to keep Lux it shows they're both ready to try and grow up and do right by her.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelface211 (View Post)
Ya I want her to accept Cate and move on with her life but not before facing her issues.
Yup, I know it'll take time but I looking forward to the journey.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Im looking forward to it as well.