Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2023, 09:38 PM
Passionate Fan

I recorded it but haven’t had a chance to watch it yet.
Crazy4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:58 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSweetieTX (View Post)
Is that the Netflix one? I've seen the first episode.
It's on Showtime. I haven't watched it yet, though I think the reviews said it doesn't match up to Waco.
worthyoflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:58 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
It's on Showtime. I haven't watched it yet, though I think the reviews said it doesn't match up to Waco.
I haven’t watched the showtime one.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:57 PM
Passionate Fan

I watched the first episode tonight and it was okay for me. The new Koresh isn’t bringing the depth to the role like Taylor did. I found that having another actor playing Koresh was distracting and disappointing. Having some of the actors reprise their roles helped with the continuing of the story but there’s a lot of new faces that I found myself trying to figure out how they were connected to the original series. Honestly, the parts I found the most disturbing were of Timothy McVeigh and the Alfred P. Murrah building being used as a backdrop. Also, seeing how Waco sparked this wave of homegrown terrorists and how we are still fighting that to this day is disturbing and sad.
Old 04-23-2023, 02:54 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I've seen a lot of disappointment that they couldn't get Taylor or a lot of the other original actors from Waco on the sequel.
Old 05-07-2023, 03:59 AM
Elite Fan

Feels cheap like they just brought back the old cast to sucker in viewers, other than Michael Shannon none of them have shown up since the first episode

Don’t really see why this was made? I don’t think showtime is in need of a hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4books (View Post)
I watched the first episode tonight and it was okay for me. The new Koresh isn’t bringing the depth to the role like Taylor did. I found that having another actor playing Koresh was distracting and disappointing. Having some of the actors reprise their roles helped with the continuing of the story but there’s a lot of new faces that I found myself trying to figure out how they were connected to the original series. Honestly, the parts I found the most disturbing were of Timothy McVeigh and the Alfred P. Murrah building being used as a backdrop. Also, seeing how Waco sparked this wave of homegrown terrorists and how we are still fighting that to this day is disturbing and sad.

You mean like the government acting just as bad as so called domestic terrorists?

Maybe I’m biased because I love Taylor but the recast version of David doesn’t have his charm or arrogance that drew people to David himself
Old 05-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetuned (View Post)
Feels cheap like they just brought back the old cast to sucker in viewers, other than Michael Shannon none of them have shown up since the first episode

Don’t really see why this was made? I don’t think showtime is in need of a hit

You mean like the government acting just as bad as so called domestic terrorists?

Maybe I’m biased because I love Taylor but the recast version of David doesn’t have his charm or arrogance that drew people to David himself

I can't watch it in Germany so far. But from what I've heard from you guys, I guess I'm not missing much either.
audrey_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 06:38 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I have not gotten around to watching it yet. It intrigues me just because of the Timothy McVeigh angle but it's not at the top of my list right now.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:31 PM
Passionate Fan

I’ve watched the first 3 episodes so far and my feeling is that it’s not bad but it’s not great either. I HATE the new Koresh!! He doesn’t have the depth and intensity that Taylor brought to the role and I feel like all of Taylor’s hard work portraying him is being pushed aside by this new guy who is just mediocre in the role. That being said, there are plenty of Koresh flashbacks in the sequel so it would’ve been great if Taylor could’ve reprised the role and it would have helped make the flow of the sequel less distracting.

I was in college when Waco happened and I knew of it but never followed it closely so I don’t have much of an opinion one way or another about who’s at fault. The series doesn’t take a side and I feel they are doing a decent job telling both sides of the story. A few of the things they have elaborated on so far is that the ATF lied about the front doors of the compound and what they were constructed of. The other thing they show is that an ATF lied about who shot him and blamed it on Livingston Fagan who just happened to be one of the only or few black men on the compound. The judge in the case, according to the show, was also not sympathetic to any surviving Dravidian’s and certainly favored the ATF’s version of events.

I like how the show is pulling the threads of how domestic terrorism became a bigger problem post Waco and that they knew there was going to be an event on April 19th for retaliation but weren’t able to determine what it was going to be. I lived in Oklahoma in the mid 2000’s and my oldest daughter was actually born there and it’s scary as hell to me that the state was/is home to such extreme hate groups. We actually visited the OKC bombing site when we lived there and it was so heartbreaking to be in that space. It’s just unimaginable to me that you can have so much hate in your heart to do something so terrible.
Old 05-15-2023, 02:36 AM
Addicted Fan

I remember the OKC bombing VERY well. I’d had a doctor’s appointment, and when my mom and I got home and turned on the TV, there it was: that bombed-out building. I’ll never forget that image, or the images of the first responders carrying the children away from the adjacent day care, covered in soot and dirt and some bloody from injuries.

I will reiterate that I wish Taylor had never made this series. I think I was the only one here who hated it, both artistically and its sympathetic portrayal of Koresh. I remember feeling awkward at that time being honest about just how much I HATED this series and this subject with my whole being, and having to either bite my tongue or hide the fact that it bothered me that Taylor spoke so sympathetically about Koresh in interviews. I hated having to watch all those documentaries and read all those books/articles about it, looking for some resolution as to whether the series was accurately portraying the events or if it was exploiting the anti-government sentiment that was growing in some segments of our country. I feared what the series might inadvertently inspire. And it very much angers me when people use “whataboutism” surrounding Waco without acknowledging or while downplaying the fact that white supremacists used Waco (and Ruby Ridge before it) as excuses to start taking scores of innocent lives to this day. I wanted the series to at least address that a little, but it only vaguely alluded to it.

Without having watched any of it but the trailer, I do wonder whether the Dowdles did this sequel series as a cash grab or it was their hope all along to follow up the first series with this one diving deeper (I assume) into what Waco spawned. I’m somewhat curious, but not enough to go down that rabbit hole again.

I wonder if Taylor has watched it.

*By the way, you guys didn’t do anything to intimidate me or make me feel I couldn’t be honest. It was my own fear of p*ssing anyone off.

Last edited by KitscherSunk; 05-15-2023 at 02:57 AM
KitscherSunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:49 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

OKC bombing is one of the first big real world events I can remember as a kid vividly. I was 10, my aunt had just given birth to my cousin and it was spring break so my grandma and I went to go and stay with her and my uncle to help out with their older son. I remember being in their living room with the baby and watching it all go down.

I’m glad we didn’t make you feel uncomfortable about speaking your mind about it. To me it was always two separate issues with Koresh, the government did bungle it in so many ways but the underage girls being overlooked or pushed to the side because of what happened to the Davidians was and is disturbing. I know Taylor really had a hard time with whether or not he wanted to take on the role or if he even should. His feelings on that was what got me through a lot of the press and promotion of the series to be honest but there’s no denying I think he leaned into being sympathetic toward the Davidians and Koresh to justify doing the show or to even get him through it. The self loathing one would have to deal with trying to embody someone you absolutely despise and don’t understand. He reached for the relatable parts of Koresh and did such a good job at times he almost made him sympathetic and dare I say likable. Cult leaders obviously have that charisma and he captured it so well but I’m not sure they leaned heavily enough into the darker parts of Koresh in the show as a whole.

I haven’t watched it fully back save maybe once after it aired and I don’t think I will again because of the subject matter. It’s too heavy.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Wasn't born when the OKC bombing happened, was born a month later.

Didn't really see the point of the sequel miniseries, could have easily been a movie imo
stlavin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 06:45 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I don’t often feel old, but then someone says they weren’t born when the OKC bombing happened and I have to take to my bed to recover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Wasn't born when the OKC bombing happened, was born a month later.

Didn't really see the point of the sequel miniseries, could have easily been a movie imo
There’s a lot of story to cram into a movie.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSweetieTX (View Post)
I don’t often feel old, but then someone says they weren’t born when the OKC bombing happened and I have to take to my bed to recover.

There’s a lot of story to cram into a movie.

That's true, but I'm not sure it needed to be a mini series either
stlavin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:39 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)

That's true, but I'm not sure it needed to be a mini series either
But…Taylor. He was sooooo good!