Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 AM
Obsessed Fan

the DVD artwork... beautiful
Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Extreme Fan

I love that artwork.It's just stunning!.Love the film as well and I love the scenery and the story of the movie and of course I love Josh in that film,amazing piece of work and inspiring stuff with that end quote..gets me eyes welling up all the time (second only to MEL GIBSON YELLING "FREEDOM" of course being Scottish!).
Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Supreme Fan

Speaking of quotes, I felt so sorry for Ben when trying to explain to his fiancée after she met up with him in Banff why he had to continue the trip: "If I can take each one of these days and turn them into a life, then that has to be a better choice".

That floored me. This went beyond all logic and became a desperate quest to speed-live! He was literally throwing years' worth of living into each day that he could still choose to live pain-free and on his own terms as long as possible.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Part-Time Fan

I just watched "One week" earlier today, haven't seen it for a while. But I still love it. I have to say that the voice over sometimes disturbed me, but Josh makes up for it. He's so wonderful in it.
I think I'll watch it again tomorrow
Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothaise (View Post)
I wanted to love this movie, but I couldn't. I don't know. I think Josh did great with what was given to him, I just couldn't really wrap my head around the story and the selfish attitude and actions that transpired. I don't know. But I did like seeing Josh in almost somewhat of a solo effort, and he did carry the film and lit up the screen.
I'm afraid I have to agree with this - I did think Josh was wonderful in the movie though. I just didn't really feel much empathy with the character of Ben, I could understand what the film was trying to say, I think, but I still I felt more sad for his fiance
Old 03-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Supreme Fan

I have to say, it took a lot of thought for me, too, to get past what appeared to be a lot of superficiality in this movie. One really has to get past the "I'm just gonna take off" selfish attitude that initially comes across. It's been several weeks since I've watched this film and I think I've now taken away from it a certain understanding and depth that is not easily perceived upon first viewing it.

I thought that Ben's impeding doom allowed him to see the direction of his life in a different light. That is, his teaching career wasn't satisfying to him anymore and his fiancée was a tad too OCD for him. He didn't want to hurt her; she was a good person with super parents, but... was she the right person for him?

He soon came to realize that he was more of a free spirit than he knew, and that he really hadn't been looking for all that life had to offer him. That he kind of settled. It's a good lesson for all of us -- to sometimes think about living each day as if it were your last. Don't go crazy, now, and leave everything behind, but the idea was to make an effort to plan your life instead of letting it just happen.

But I didn't like all the references to wanting to jump the bones of every able woman who looked his way! Although I'm sure they were all more than flattered.

Last edited by Ten My Love; 03-12-2012 at 05:47 AM
Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, like I said, I did feel I got the message of the movie and I do agree with the sentiment. I could also see that his fiancee was a bit annoying and single-minded but the feeling I was left with was that she genuinely loved him and that he didn't give enough consideration to that fact.

I might give it another watch sometime but I was disappointed to find that I didn't really love it when I wanted to. Oh well.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Loyal Fan

I kind of understood where Ben was coming from. I pretty much have done that which I thought I was supposed to do as a dutiful daughter etc. I think if I ever got news like his I might very well say well, the heck with everyone else, it is time for me.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa47 (View Post)
I kind of understood where Ben was coming from. I pretty much have done that which I thought I was supposed to do as a dutiful daughter etc. I think if I ever got news like his I might very well say well, the heck with everyone else, it is time for me.
Same here. Sometimes life just happens and you just don't realize there was a choice.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

That's what I think too. While watching I felt sorry for his family but mostly I totally understood his actions. Sometimes it needs lifechanging news to realize that something is wrong.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:59 PM
New Fan

One Year

I just watched this and Shutter on my Kindle Fire and was awestruck. Both movies were really excellent, but One Year was so inspiring and thought provoking. The music blew me away. How come I never knew about this picture?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:37 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmomster (View Post)
How come I never knew about this picture?
Canadian pic with wide release there.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa47 (View Post)
I think all of us tend to spend our days like we have forever. I think this was demonstrated when he hit the skunk and went flying. The reason I love this movie (watched it twice in a row) was that it made me stop and think about choices and living each day to the fullest. Our pastor has said that today is really all we have. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come.

I did feel sorry for his finacee, but I think this choice, if made in real life, may have made it easier for her to move on.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten My Love (View Post)
I have to say, it took a lot of thought for me, too, to get past what appeared to be a lot of superficiality in this movie. One really has to get past the "I'm just gonna take off" selfish attitude that initially comes across. It's been several weeks since I've watched this film and I think I've now taken away from it a certain understanding and depth that is not easily perceived upon first viewing it.

I thought that Ben's impeding doom allowed him to see the direction of his life in a different light. That is, his teaching career wasn't satisfying to him anymore and his fiancée was a tad too OCD for him. He didn't want to hurt her; she was a good person with super parents, but... was she the right person for him?

He soon came to realize that he was more of a free spirit than he knew, and that he really hadn't been looking for all that life had to offer him. That he kind of settled. It's a good lesson for all of us -- to sometimes think about living each day as if it were your last. Don't go crazy, now, and leave everything behind, but the idea was to make an effort to plan your life instead of letting it just happen.

But I didn't like all the references to wanting to jump the bones of every able woman who looked his way! Although I'm sure they were all more than flattered.
I kind of get the feeling that she may have been the only woman with whom he was intimate. He was just "searching for a moment..."

Last edited by davesmomster; 05-30-2012 at 05:24 AM Reason: wrong word
Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by merica (View Post)
season 4 Pacey....

It was so sad to see the flash forwards and see how he'll suffer
Oh Wow, is that really a flash forward? I thought he just died at the end.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread