View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Ten My Love
Supreme Fan

I have to say, it took a lot of thought for me, too, to get past what appeared to be a lot of superficiality in this movie. One really has to get past the "I'm just gonna take off" selfish attitude that initially comes across. It's been several weeks since I've watched this film and I think I've now taken away from it a certain understanding and depth that is not easily perceived upon first viewing it.

I thought that Ben's impeding doom allowed him to see the direction of his life in a different light. That is, his teaching career wasn't satisfying to him anymore and his fiancée was a tad too OCD for him. He didn't want to hurt her; she was a good person with super parents, but... was she the right person for him?

He soon came to realize that he was more of a free spirit than he knew, and that he really hadn't been looking for all that life had to offer him. That he kind of settled. It's a good lesson for all of us -- to sometimes think about living each day as if it were your last. Don't go crazy, now, and leave everything behind, but the idea was to make an effort to plan your life instead of letting it just happen.

But I didn't like all the references to wanting to jump the bones of every able woman who looked his way! Although I'm sure they were all more than flattered.

Last edited by Ten My Love; 03-12-2012 at 05:47 AM