Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingMatty (View Post)
Rape = non consensual sex either at the beginning or during.
That scene was not rape. It was showing that she niether fits a dominator role nor submissive. And that if you want to be a person who feels nothing that is the consequence of such a life, that even in moments when you want some affection it doesn't exist.
It clearly wasn't consensual mid-way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inesal (View Post)
Yep. It was consensual then turned into sex by force. It wasn't just rough consensual sex but sex in which Franky was stripped of any way of getting out of the situation and clearly did not want it. That some people see it as ambigious or even not rape is one of the most troubling things I have ever read. It reminds me of those cases where a prosecuting attorney is berating the rape victim going why did you not say no if you did not want it like that.
I 100% agree. Disregarding it as rape is treading into a very dangerous territory of rape culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisOnlyMuse (View Post)
I couldn't agree more, seriously disturbing people are trying to make that it was entirely consensual. I wrote a tumblr about how frustrating it is to see teens (I assume mostly teens) justifying characters like Luke and Tate (AHS) because they are cute. If you want to like a character like that just like them, you don't have to justify what they did.
THIS! I wrote a similar post on tumblr. I find it so disconcerting that this is even up for debate. I think it was pretty clear-cut what happened.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Total Fan

I still haven't decided if I like this episode or not. On one hand it was insular, very much so, which usually I hate, but in this case I guess it worked. Franky's guilt over Grace was shown well I thought, and I couldn't help smiling when I saw Jess's pretty face again.

Also, I thought Dakota and Joe acted well together It was made clear the relationship was all kinds of wrong. Maybe even Franky could see it, however she clearly felt the need to escape from her life for a while and there he was. (though ngl I still don't understand why she didn't hate him for the accident).

Imo, that scene clearly was rape. She was fine at first, but to me from the moment she got scared and didn't want it anymore it was rape.

I love her dads, they were the best bit for me.

One of the biggest things I was left thinking after the episode was; where does this take us then? It seems Franky will be doing more fighting but Luke is just going to disappear since Joe didn't seem to be filming after this episode. It doesn't seem (at this stage) that the rape will even be explored further since it seems after this Franky's story will involve a relationship with Nick and from the stills of Mini's episode she just seems perfectly content to be out with everyone but thats just a thought I had, I hope I'm wrong.

Finally, one of the main things I had always been hoping would be some exploration of Franky's past, I was hopeful something would come up during the councellor scene. This episode may have given us an insight into Franky's mentality, but other than the lovely story from her dad about why they chose her there didn't seem to be anything about her life. At least not that I can remember.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Loyal Fan

Alright, this is going to be a tl;dr so if you give no **** about Franky, dont waste your time reading it. Like i already know people hate Franky but i've seen that people think her episode is the worst episode of skins ever or least favorite episode of skins ever and i just will never understand other skins fans and their opinions. So after this post, im taking a hiatus from this forum and other Skins forums because i hate seeing such negativity for something I love and truely care about. I take it to the heart. This is also written based off my emotions.

So, Franky. During the whole episode 1 thing, most people assumed that Franky had changed and was now just a bitchy character. But no one ever tries to understand her or paint a picture of the summer between Franky and Matty even though it was easy to understand since THEY said it themselves how it happened. Franky became more of a person from her relationship with Matty because that was when she started to open up to someone so imo it was natural for her to change. She didnt understand relationships well since she has never been in one( you could understand this from when she was talking to the other girls at the pool about relationships) so it wasnt what she expected. And dont forget the main thing that attracted Franky to Matty in the first place was his mysterious personality. So once he changed, so did she. The reason she was bitter and mad was because of everyone constantly bringing up her relationship with Matty and she was tired of hearing it.

So she became a different person who was looking for something exciting and the answer was Luke. Since her and Matty werent together, she tried hanging out with Luke. That didnt turn out well since Grace ended up dieing. So because she was with Luke, she blamed herself for the death of Grace and her self-conscious wouldnt let her live it down. So because Matty was driving when the accident happened, it made her hate him more since she was already mad at him.

At first she was hesitant to go back to Luke after the accident but she went back, letting her self-conscious choose for her because she didnt even blame luke for the accident and made it seem like he was in the right. She was turned on by the violent and aggressive lifestyle of Luke so she went along with it. Luke was a perfect way to express her anger and that is why she was so rebellious in her episode. She let her anger and frustration of the event with Grace change her into someone who didnt give a ****. IMO, the normal Franky wouldnt have been attracted to Luke's fast and crazy lifestyle.

Also, the father talked to her about her being close to exploding. Meaning she was letting all her emotions and feelings stay locked inside her just like the way Effy did. Luckily, Franky realized this and was ready to change or else she would have ended up like Effy, trying to kill herself( this was obvious in her episode with the drawings).

Franky is a very complex character who has always been frustrated because of her past. All the pain and hurt, and she never told anyone. This anger and bitterness has been build up since she was young and its coming back to her. Even though she always blamed herself, she was never the blame. But this time with Grace, she is actually the blame. And the fact that a person died because of her(this is her thoughts), it destroyed her. So the anger and bitterness is taken to another level where she isnt right mentally. And with the help of her parents and Nick, she realized that what she was doing was wrong and careless which isnt normal for her. So now, she is back to normal and mostly likely, she will be more willing to talk to Matty about their broken relationship and where he has gone. This is one of those episodes where Franky showed growth mentally. She realizes that her friends and family actually give a **** about her and that she isnt just nothing( according to her description of her self)

The reason why i take this personally is because i can relate to many of the characters but especially with a certain few(Franky, Effy, Sid, etc) I hold all my emotions in because my life socially is **** and i have yet to express myself. Im always in the shadow or misunderstood. I relate to Skins in many ways so when people talk down on it, its like someone is ****ting on me personally. I know its fake and some of it is unrealistic/exaggerated but i dont give a ****. It matters to me and the thought of it ending completely is killing me on the inside. The thought of no movie is killing me on the inside. I just..... dont know what to say anymore.

P.S Dakota played the ****ed out of Franky, i dont care what nobody say. Brilliant actress and beautiful if i do say so myself. And Franky is still the best Gen 3 character.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Addicted Fan

Shes gone completely berserk, simple as that

Dakota's got the 'teenage angst thing' downpacked

I found the episode somewhat hollowing because Franky's a changed person (hollowed out) compared to 'that nice kid' from season 5

Last edited by CONDEMNED666; 02-14-2012 at 11:26 PM
Old 02-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Master Fan

Where the **** were Alex and Rich? Riiiich I miss you.
I really liked this episode. It was a punch in the face but I thought it was original and it definitely suited Franky dealing with grief and guilt like that.
I have found the storyline with Luke both disgusting and interesting at the same time.Bravo to both the actors.Their latest scenes made me feel so many emotion.I felt sick when he raped her and then the day after he was just laughing while watching the cartoon.
Random but Dakota has a HUGE pair of boobs. OMG where did they come from?

Franky's dad were perfection.Thank you Sean for writing them this way.

Nick was so adorable I can't. I wanted and still want him to be Alex boyfriend but I mainly ship Nick/screentime and if that mean Franky/Nick it's fine.Of course I've decided I'll focuse more on his I THINK instead of "I love you" because that would make no sense. I guess it must be easy for him thinking he loves her already since well,he has clearly a different interest in her than the interest he had for Mini and Liv.
Their last scene was actually really cute.
Quote:
that was when she started to wake up a little. you could tell she didn't want to go off with luke from that point on but she had to in order to save nick.
This is my impression too.
And as you guys said I liked too the scene where Franky comes back to reality.

Quote:
compared to 'that nice kid' from season 5
Well also in her previous episode when she had the rage! moment she actually showed a vein of violence.She was using a gun and was shooting randomly to calm herself. She actually went to a party with the same gun.

I wanted to ask you something am I the only one who's thinking this season cinematography is lacking? I don't know,it's the fourth episode in a row and I still need to watch a scene that makes me feel "Yeah,Skins " like I used to.

Icon

Last edited by Zefiro; 02-15-2012 at 02:21 AM
Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 AM
Addicted Fan

I personally cant believe that it was Franky that has became sexually adventurous in season 6, if anything, it should be Mini that had lots of sex (she still is), but Franky is having dangerous and violent sex

Franky didnt ever wanted to be 'touched' at all in season 5 if I can recall

Season 5 feels like all a dream
Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDEMNED666 (View Post)
but Franky is having dangerous and violent sex

Franky didnt ever wanted to be 'touched' at all in season 5 if I can recall
I think, it's her way to let frustration, anger and guilt out.

In my opinion, it's the best episode so far. The characters and their relationships (Franky/Luke mainly, it was a bad one, but well written and believable) are portrayed well, we had something we never had before (I don't see any Effy parallels at all - they're completely different characters, although I'm to lazy to name examples why they're completely different, but for example, Franky wants to be accepted, to be in a group, to have friends, while Effy gives a **** about these things, and there are a lot more different things about them), it's awesome how they showed how Franky dealed with Grace's death, and how affected she really was by it, I actually liked her badassness, I don't get it why people think it's out of character. She's not the person who tries to hide her thoughts or feelings (5x01 - do I look like a ****ing bulemic barbie?). I had some kind of mediocre expectations, but I think her storyline is actually more way interesting than Mini's right now.
I'm glad they share another episode, because I still feel I don't know enough about her, she's maybe the most complex and by far interesting character. Secondly - I don't get it why people always see Franky as a possible lesbian. It was always showed that Franky is attracted by Matty, and she never showed interest in any girls, also not in Mini (I still think it was sort of a one-sided-crush, but yeah).

I don't understand all the hate about her episode in tumblr, it makes me mad. It was a beautiful episode, I could relate to her in so many points, it actually surprises me, because I didn't felt I had any connection to her at all, because I had the feeling I don't know enough about her. And it was the only episode I actually really cried.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inesal (View Post)
What happened was the worst episode in Skins UK history. There are two ways to view the whole purpose.

1. Here is what we are supposed to take from the episode. Franky is battling low self esteem due to intense guilt over Grace's death. So she is acting self-destructive by indulging in nihilism with a nihilist - Luke. This attempt to detach herself from the world and those who really love her culminates in her taking pleasure from Nick's beating. However when she is raped, she reaches a physical and emotional nadir that creates a breakthrough, a want to connect again with life. The want to reach out to the late Grace (her downward spiral is connected to her guilt) is displaced by reality - a connection to the father who loves her unconditionally. The bond with nihilism - Luke - is broken by unconditional love. The chance for redemption is shown in connection with Nick - whether it is romantic waits to be seen.

2. The purpose is to use violence and sex to raise the ratings barely disguising the lame (and played to death) tropes under option 1 and a crushing inability to create thoughtful, nuanced storytelling. This ties in with the rest of series 6's awfulness.

What is clear is whereas JB's control of series 5 resulted in rich, compelling characters and plots that felt, for the most part, organic, BE's control of series 6 has resulted in one note characterizations and plots that feel artificial, ones that lack any respect for nuance, for the gratification that can be offered by smart, insightful creativity.

While it is bothersome that there is another possible coupling in Franky and Nick that almost rivals Alo and now straight Mini in how phony it feels, the most offensive elements are found in a work that strives to titillate the viewer through violent sex while wagging their finger at the action. Cecil B. DeMille used to make a living off of such preachy moralism.

This is a show that has become as bankrupt in terms of it's integrity as it has become creatively bankrupt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPenguinOnSkis (View Post)
As a lone wolf I predicted this from Franky during series 5 so I am going to take full credit for being right. Glad to see more and more are finally on board with understanding.

Last edited by fakevegan; 02-15-2012 at 12:07 PM
Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Master Fan

I thought it was the best episode of the current generation, Dakota is by far the best actor out of the lot.

She didn't get raped in the slightest, she was more than willing and just likes it very rough.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomily (View Post)
I thought it was the best episode of the current generation, Dakota is by far the best actor out of the lot.

She didn't get raped in the slightest, she was more than willing and just likes it very rough.
Her body language conveyed entirely something else.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:11 AM
Part-Time Fan

I think it was perfect.

Serena&Nate, Matty&Franky,Stefan&Caroline,Tony&Maxxie,Cook&Effy,Alo&Mini,Draco&Hermione.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:38 AM
Addicted Fan

Hmm...

Spoiler:

^ not sure if they'll allow this gif on this forum

Interesting comparison,->

=

Another one->

=

Last edited by CONDEMNED666; 02-17-2012 at 08:12 PM
Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I wanted to ask you something am I the only one who's thinking this season cinematography is lacking? I don't know,it's the fourth episode in a row and I still need to watch a scene that makes me feel "Yeah,Skins " like I used to.
I feel that.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beached (View Post)
I feel that.
me, too. except maybe for rich's episode:

credit
Old 02-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
yep yep, i feel the same! s5 had amazing cinematography, it was beautiful but s6 is completely lacking in that aspect.