Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

4x05 [Freddie] Episode Discussion #2

Freddie is loved up. Completely. He and Effy are enjoying their time together and
carrying on their hedonistic ways with no thought of tomorrow.
His father and sister never see him and neither do the rest of the gang.
At College, he’s been threatened with expulsion if he doesn’t get his work in.
He’s given a final warning by new teacher Mr T Love and the pressure’s on to fix things.
Only thing is, Effy’s not on the same page and it’s Freddie she takes it out on.
Freddie’s left to work out whether Effy’s worth fighting for this time.
As everything starts to unravel, he’s in a race against time to fix what’s most important to him.

Written by Sean Buckley
Directed by Esther May Campbell

Thursday February 25th on E4

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT Paula!

I wonder how long FE have been living together. Because we didn't get any hints in the previous episodes.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

IDK, I was a bit confused by the locations tbh. I never knew which house they were at.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
IDK, I was a bit confused by the locations tbh. I never knew which house they were at.
They were living in Effy's house.
He almost never went home,except to get some things from time to time.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Oh yeah and his dad told him that his house was not Tesco. lol

I need to rewatch the episode because I only saw it once on a crappy live stream.

Last edited by Karma Police; 03-01-2010 at 06:36 AM
Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
Oh yeah and his dead told him that his house was not Tesco. lol

I need to rewatch the episode because I only saw it once on a crappy live stream.
I already seen it like a million time
It's seriously an addiction.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Total Fan

i just wanted to point out that Freddie wasn't too late in trying to help Effy. being late is if Effy was dead. and this is exactly the kind of mentality that riddled him in the first place: that it was his fault if anything bad happened to Effy. but it wasn't, and isn't. sometimes fighting actually means having to give something up. and what matters most is the intention, b/c not all the time we do the right actions.

although, i am appaled still by the lack of involvement of Panda and Tony in this kind of situation.

Whether we see each other next week, next month, never again, it doesn't matter. It's only time.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sort of beautiful (View Post)
Say what you want about Cook but he wasn't the one trying to throw himself into the fire over dramatic much? Not all about you fredds.
It's not over dramatic,it's coherent.
He feels like has failed so he feels like he has no reason to live anymore.
But whatever we're never going to agree so I better close it here.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Addicted Fan

Okay, seriously, the judgmental Cook~ comment was mostly a joke but if Freddie is gonna be categorized as selfish in this ep, then you could just as easily say Cook really was being judgmental. But was Cook's intention in saying that to make Effy feel like sht? No. Same with Freddie, I think motivation and intent matters.

Everything Freddie did in this ep was stuff he thought was going to help Effy most. His view of what would help is admittedly skewed by what happened to his mother but he quite honestly seemed to believe that having her committed was going to make her get even worse like he thinks it did his mother. His motivation for pretty much every action after the first commercial break was colored by that point of view.

Quote:
but he wasn't the one trying to throw himself into the fire. Not all about you fredds.
I don't really understand. Effy was safely in the hospital at this point. You make it sound like he found her lying in a pool of blood and then ran to set himself on fire before getting her help.

Quote:
Who else was disappointed that Josie wasn't in her office?
Me! She's so cute.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Ali
Master Fan

That pic^, I didn't realize it the first time I watched but I think Effy unlocked the door for Freddie and then went under the bed. Kind of cute even though it was a sad scene.

Cook's comment about Effy looking like the girl from The Ring cracked me up. The look she was giving him was kind of scary lol.

Katie's face after Panda slapped and kissed Thomas,

Quote:
although, i am appaled still by the lack of involvement of Panda and Tony in this kind of situation.
How amazing would it be if Tony came back?

And I hope we get some good Effy/Panda before the series is over.
Dawson's Creek board!

Last edited by Ali; 03-01-2010 at 09:47 AM Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Obsessed Fan

Right lets clear one thing up.

There's a problem I see it with this supposed argument that Freddie should have noticed her deterioration earlier and acted sooner.

I find it interesting that people are now saying that. When before, right after the episode aired the very same individuals (and yes - I did go back to old posts and checked this - I can even quote it if necessary) were saying that her illness came out of nowhere, or rather the severity of her illness came out of nowhere. The idea that a lay person could somehow notice this before it got to a stage where it was severe enough for Effy to be acting the way she did is consistent with the idea of the prodromal phase of an illness. Therefore to imply that Effy had that prodromal phase - enough for Freddie to notice it and seek medical attention - is to also suggest that this storyline was organic and plausible. Something which those very same people denied initially. This twin-pronged approach at attacking Freddie is simply riddled with holes, inconsistencies, contradictions and case-shifts because simply put the two thematic strands are mutually exclusive to the other.

I'm sorry guys, you can't have it both ways. Either you identify the prodromal phase in which Freddie should have noticed and taken action in which case you accept the storyline as organic and emerging from a coherent theme; or continue with your argument that this was sudden and unexpected in which case Freddie did everything he possibly could, and the arguments for either theme will be dealt with then (because both still have massive holes in them either way). But you can't have it both ways. In any case you have betrayed a serious case-shift which leaves me to conclude that your intention isn't actual analysis of the characters actions but rather to find fault with a character's actions regardless of the action itself or the outcome which resulted from aforementioned actions. In other words - the arguments fail.

Last edited by JusW; 03-01-2010 at 09:50 AM
Old 03-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Marie (View Post)
I didn't realize it the first time I watched but I think Effy unlocked the door for Freddie and then went under the bed. Kind of cute even though it was a sad scene.
Yes,she let him in
Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The Cook hate gets so ridiculous sometimes. He does care about Effy, whether people like it or not, whether people see it or not, he does care about her, so do her friends. The problem was that this was Freddie's episode so they showed it from his POV, they showed his backstory, so of course they focused on him and not the others. And I doubt her friends would ignore her state once they saw the room full of pictures on the wall.
Thank you. I like how everyone (well FE-ers anyway) love to say this is Freddie's POV and that's why we didn't see any of Effy's perspective and that's why Freddie took care of her the best he could, but when it comes to her family/friends caring, they simply don't because none of them were there. You can't have it both ways. It's utterly ridiculous to say Freddie is the only person who cares for Effy. There have been plenty of instances that told me otherwise, but go ahead and keep overlooking them if it makes you feel better.

Quote:
Okay, seriously, the judgmental Cook~ comment was mostly a joke but if Freddie is gonna be categorized as selfish in this ep, then you could just as easily say Cook really was being judgmental. But was Cook's intention in saying that to make Effy feel like sht? No. Same with Freddie, I think motivation and intent matters.
Well said.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
(and yes - I did go back to old posts and checked this - I can even quote it if necessary)
No need to point fingers. Uhm yeah I was one of them and I still think the writing was bad and that the stage they showed Effy at was weird because they should have indicated how bad it was, much more earlier. And if somebody is already at this stage, I'd assume the friends would have realized it earlier.

Quote:
And I hope we get some good Effy/Panda before the series is over.
It's sad how they neglected their friendship this season.

Steph your icon.

Last edited by Karma Police; 03-01-2010 at 09:53 AM
Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill (View Post)
I don't really understand. Effy was safely in the hospital at this point. You make it sound like he found her lying in a pool of blood and then ran to set himself on fire before getting her help.
my thoughts exactly!

and especially with Justin's post, a big yes. its pretty much an opinion going opposite ways. to say that Freddie should have seen it coming and saying that the whole idea felt inorganic, forced or rushed doesn't match at all.

and to add to that, i don't think only Freddie cared. he was the one who cared the most. but Cook and Katie was there. Anthea was there, but a bit too late for a mother.

and oh, still oh-so-disappointed with the lack of Pandora and the uninvolvement of Tony

Whether we see each other next week, next month, never again, it doesn't matter. It's only time.