Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
EDIT - Hey Heimweh: shouldnt this thread be retitled 7x03-7x04? and the next one the same thing?
I'll change it on Sunday

Quote:
P.S. Did anyone notice the correlation between this episode and Fire? I think the building the Cassie and the realtor saw was Effy's old office. She mentioned something about the whole building needing to be leased and how it had closed. Maybe I over-thought it. But I know when they gave the first interview after the releases they said somehow all three specials were connected, kinda like all the gen's were.
Good calling! It would be cool if it was the same building.
★ Mel • born backwardscredit;
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtedegrasi (View Post)
P.S. Did anyone notice the correlation between this episode and Fire? I think the building the Cassie and the realtor saw was Effy's old office. She mentioned something about the whole building needing to be leased and how it had closed. Maybe I over-thought it. But I know when they gave the first interview after the releases they said somehow all three specials were connected, kinda like all the gen's were.
Yeah I think it was the same building too.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Dedicated Fan

Not a fan of the stalker plot, but I haven't expected much from them in a very long time. Between the cinematography and music, Skins have always been mostly just pretty music videos.

Dakota Blue Richards. MyBliss Interview.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Master Fan

The cinematography was perfect indeed.

xxx

The episode was visually stunning. I just don't know what to make of the stalker storyline :shurg:
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Part-Time Fan

This show's has become the Avatar of the teen drama world: looks good, but no one cares.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOx (View Post)
This show's has become the Avatar of the teen drama world: looks good, but no one cares.
Calm down ox

The show or the franchise wont be around for much longer! When its gone, will you be happy then?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDEMNED666 (View Post)
Calm down ox

The show or the franchise wont be around for much longer! When its gone, will you be happy then?
But then who will be around to complain about random television shows?

EDIT: Nah, but seriously, I'll step off. I'm being hella negative and I didn't even watch, heh. Just one of those weeks where I feel more funny than I actually am, and, as an aside, I guess I'm still sore over Fire. (I don't know why, because I expected it, but it's something like, I suppose, if Disney decided to make a sequel to your favorite childhood movie. Same cast, same writers as the first. Great potential. Yet they kill off Simba or Mickey or Woody the cowboy or something for ambiguous reasons, and then lol about it on Twitter. Something like that.)

Last edited by TheOx; 07-18-2013 at 10:15 PM
Old 07-18-2013, 11:45 PM
New Fan

Quote:
I'm still sore over Fire
Judging by the SKINS Facebook comments for pretty much everything since Part 2, you're not the only one. This has become the legacy of the franchise and it's not going away not matter how good the rest of the specials are. gj Brittains, I guess.

I'm so hoping Pure 2 is going to make sense of what BE wants to do with Cassie as a character. The trailer makes it seem like Hannah gets to do some actual acting sooo yay for that. I'm praying since her mom's already dead that's filled the quota for this special, but my bets are on her little brother getting hit by a car or drowning in the ocean or something. Woohoo ADULTHOOD.

Gosh I really wish the episode had given me something else to speculate about. Maybe this time she'll actually sit on the bench. That would be exciting.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:58 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
The episode was visually stunning. I just don't know what to make of the stalker storyline :shurg:
It was. I was generally satisfied with it, and Hanna's grace,tbh.
I really loved the fact she still hears it from her family,it is much more real.

Fire lacked this too. I can't believe there was no Tony again in it. Just a random phone call or a mention? It was so stupid. And Pure only underlined how dumb it was for Effy not having a single call from Anthea or Tony, lol.

Quote:
EDIT: Nah, but seriously, I'll step off. I'm being hella negative and I didn't even watch, heh. Just one of those weeks where I feel more funny than I actually am, and, as an aside, I guess I'm still sore over Fire. (I don't know why, because I expected it, but it's something like, I suppose, if Disney decided to make a sequel to your favorite childhood movie. Same cast, same writers as the first. Great potential. Yet they kill off Simba or Mickey or Woody the cowboy or something for ambiguous reasons, and then lol about it on Twitter. Something like that.)

x

lmao just kidding. I understand completely. I have felt this way after season 4 and season 6.
There are things I didn't like, but I just don't care anymore. I watch it for the sake of the old good times,nothing more.
Quote:
I'm praying since her mom's already dead that's filled the quota for this special, but my bets are on her little brother getting hit by a car or drowning in the ocean or something. Woohoo ADULTHOOD
None of my friends,boyfriends of family died. Am I still a kid?

Icon
Old 07-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Elite Fan

cassie's episode felt more connected to the skins we knew and love than effy's episode ever did. however, i still hate the stalker storyline because there are a million storylines that they could've given cassie. a stalker is just stupid.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
But then who will be around to complain about random television shows?

You are everything I love about what's left of this forum. The first series are always brimming with complexity and opportunities and then it's destroyed with the same type of nonsensical plot every single time. There are a million plausible and creative arcs, but the writers always opt for the dumbest, most gimmicky route that favors cheap drama over actual development. every. damn. time. At this point, I honestly don't understand how the series has survived this long because only 3 or 4 series out of 7 have substance and then the quality falls off a sheer cliff every other season. How is that a good marketing strategy?

Old 07-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

Glad everyone understands my little broken heart over Fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkyfan (View Post)
You are everything I love about what's left of this forum. The first series are always brimming with complexity and opportunities and then it's destroyed with the same type of nonsensical plot every single time. There are a million plausible and creative arcs, but the writers always opt for the dumbest, most gimmicky route that favors cheap drama over actual development. every. damn. time.
I feel like they ignore a series once they're done with it. If they paid attention, they'd realize Skins' strength lies in its quiet moments. Take Jal, for example: because her S1 plot put her in the background behind Tony's emotional square (him-Sid-Cassie-Michelle), when she got pregnant in S2, we really felt for her. Nothing terrible, except for Chris's illness/death, had occurred to her, and certainly nothing over-the-top and campy; therefore, there existed an effective juxtaposition between her normal life and the tragedy.

Whereas if Effy got pregnant we'd all kind of roll our eyes because she's been through XYZ teen drama already; if Cassie got shot by a psychotic badger or something in the final moment of Pure, we'd sigh, as she already has built-in drama (an eating disorder) that doesn't need anything else to make it poignant.

(See also: Thomas' S3 plot, most of S5, etc. They really used to excel at making the day-to-day life of a teenager fascinating, and I'm not sure why they ignore that quality so much. I don't know if the subtle stuff was the work of one writer in particular who is no longer with us, or if anyone who isn't vaguely Stonem-related just doesn't sell. I'm notorious for loving the underloved characters.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkyfan (View Post)
At this point, I honestly don't understand how the series has survived this long because only 3 or 4 series out of 7 have substance and then the quality falls off a sheer cliff every other season. How is that a good marketing strategy?
Well, I believe I read that G1 was based on a novel that one of The Family (BE?) wanted to write, so it's the gen I think, objectively, works out the best, even if one isn't overly attached to the characters. So G1 feels like two halves of the same book, with Tony's accident as a climax, Chris's funeral as the last chapter, and the cliffhanger moments as the epilogue.

To continue stretching the book metaphor a bit: G2 feels like two separate books all together. S3 stands alone well with its own climax and epilogue, and S4 is the unnecessary cash-grab sequel with invented drama. And G3's S5 is a masterpiece first novel in a series. While working on the second, the author died, leaving it to a ghost writer. Thus, S6.

But, anyway, my point is that I'm not wholly sure anyone involved with Skins knew quite how to create a two-series arc for G2 like they did with G1. (And, really, it would have been part of Effy's four series arc -- something that's hard to do even in a show that doesn't cycle characters. That's why I think she had a personality change; they couldn't quite build off of her G1 persona.) We'll never know with G3, if only because I remain unconvinced that S6 is what anyone originally had planned for the characters.

S7 -- or what I've seen of it -- is just bad fanfiction.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Master Fan

Ox, your whole post
Old 07-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Elite Fan

i liked the second part better than the first. at least it wasn't romanticizing the stalker anymore. cassie gave him a chance and it turned out he was a [spoiler alert] stalker. the other guy turned out to be just as douchey as i thought he was in the first part. really nice score and shots... i don't really have much to say other than that. i wasn't moved or touched by cassie and her family dynamic.

the modeling gig would've been the perfect opportunity to touch on cassie's eating disorder but.. well.. if there's one thing we can take from skins it's that mental/eating disorders & homosexuality depends on the episode and what mood the writer is in. so i can't say i expected much in that arena.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsponge (View Post)
really nice score and shots...
this and the sid/cassie bench made an appearance! hee!