Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm really flying through this. I'm already on the 6th chapter of the third book, lol.. I'll probably finish the series tomorrow, since I'm sick and can't go outside anyway.

Damon is quickly turning into my favorite character. I'm not really liking Stefan, but I do think he deserves to be happy and that the series should end with him and Elena together.

About the casting for the TV show... I don't really have a problem with it. I don't know Nina but she's pretty enough - aside from not being blond - and it'll all depend on her being able to pull off the part. The more I think about it, the more I'm Ian Somerhalder will be great as Damon and I like that they replaced Elena's younger sister by a brother. Also... I love the core three in the books, but to be honest, Meredith is the blandest character so far. She's too normal, lol. Although I've read some hints that there's more going on with her so maybe I'm wrong and the casting directors really did screw up.

I'm not too excited about the guy who plays Stefan, but who knows... he could surprise us all.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Loyal Fan

but the book emphasies how elena looks, and yeah sure everyone is upset when something they enjoy first comes into making, but growing up with it, i dont know, i have issues with it. though i do think ian somerhalder is a good choice for damon. i do nt like that they replaced elena's younger sister with a brother, what was the point in that? make him a teen instead, for the fan girls? her sister is adorable and i don;t want to spoil the book for anyone, but at one point with damon, it just doesn't make sense. meredith becomes much more interesting near the end, and she plays a major part in the whole thing!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by divaduck (View Post)
but the book emphasies how elena looks, and yeah sure everyone is upset when something they enjoy first comes into making, but growing up with it, i dont know, i have issues with it. though i do think ian somerhalder is a good choice for damon. i do nt like that they replaced elena's younger sister with a brother, what was the point in that? make him a teen instead, for the fan girls? her sister is adorable and i don;t want to spoil the book for anyone, but at one point with damon, it just doesn't make sense. meredith becomes much more interesting near the end, and she plays a major part in the whole thing!
elena's looks are emphasised constantly and are really important IMO. the same goes for meredith. i don't wanna dive into specifics with her character (just in case people haven't read that far yet) but she's a major figure in the group and comes with a lot of history that i feel would be an amazing contribution to the show. i don't even want to start on the replacement of elena's little sister to teen brother. the little sister was essential (like you said) to that one part with damon. i think the changing to a brother is just to attract more teen/girl viewers. doesn't help that they're making him a druggie, which is absolutely NOWHERE in the books at all! i haven't grown up with the books and just started getting into them a few months back (i liked the covers and so i read them) and ITA with everything you just said. while i'm fairly new to the series, i feel like the network should stay true to it to a fair degree. if they were going to change a big chunk of the original SL and add things that dont pertain to the original in any way, i think the cw would've just been better off making up their own series from scratch... but then again this is the CW i'm talking about. they're not that creative. at all.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
but then again this is the CW i'm talking about. they're not that creative. at all.
Truer words were never spoken.

Thank you! a voice of reason, is what I was looking for. Her looks are important, it how Stefen describes her that makes you feel as if he is really seeing her. There are so many females actress's that have that look that could have been used. And yes, exactly, this whole meredith is boring, is what I'm finding the ( no offense i wear to some ) romantic interests only, for the teens are saying. there is more to this book than just a love story between two brothers and the girl. as you said history for her especially when you find out who she really is ( of course i'm not saying ) i am ...okay i had NO idea they were making her supposed brother into a junkie? why? because of their parents? and then i read there is to be no aunt judith? it's horrific. but agreed that they are changing it to attract female veiwers, as if females veiwers have nothing better to do than lust after some ...well. lmfao nevermind. i understand to make this an actual television show they are going to have to prolong a few things, drag them out, etc even adding new characters, but to remove the old for no purpose it terrible. i wish i could ask L.J. Smith, what was she thinking?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Passionate Fan

the brother is a junkie who buys his stuff from tyler (i think) and is lusting after his girlfriend vicki (i think), who coincidenally is matt's sister! ugh. it's all very unnessesary to me to add in all this "drama" and take away so much from the original story. oh and supposedly aunt judith has changed into hip (aunt?) jenna! some 20-something that is cool and down with the kids! bleh.

oh... and elena, bonnie, and caroline are CHEERLEADERS! where the hell was the word "cheerleader" in the books? uh. nowhere.

i blame you, CW. ruiner of all that is original. 90210, melrose... now vd. i can feel it. it'll be poorly written and overly promoted (while keeping the last of the original shows *cough*SUPERNATURAL*cough* underappreciated). i'm not the biggest fan of how the CW handles their shows as it is. if they ruin vd for me... oooh, i don't even want to know what i'll do.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Loyal Fan

since when was tyler a drug dealer?!! good god. a jerk, yes a pervert, sure, never drugs. ....wait wait wait spoilers...
Spoiler:

...hip down with the kids? are you kidding me?! see this is just laughable to me. aunt judith had experience, she was the one who helped oh dang it
Spoiler:

lmfao yeeeah elena would never be a cheerleader, that's totally a caroline thing though i can see her doing it just to get at someone. and bonnie was too awkward and shy to be a cheerleader! this is starting to sound exactly like all the shows that have been remade, except with vampires, i seriously want to write the author i expect the special effects to be cheesy too what with
Spoiler:
this was a pretty violent book, i just don't see them pulling it off, i wonder how long this show will last. from the sounds of it, it's already going to be ruined.

Last edited by divaduck; 03-27-2009 at 09:33 PM
Old 03-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Elite Fan

I haven't even read the books yet, and I'm against the casting and other changes. I love Ian though

Just waiting for the library
Old 03-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Passionate Fan

i wouldn't write to the author. i'm write to the cw network. for all we know LJ Smith thought the cw network was going to stay true to her work (to some degree). i fully blame the cw for everything. it's a network that would rather cast pretty people and write completely out of character than stay true to any original work.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I read these books about 7 years ago but I really didnt remember them so when I heard a former Young Americans cast Ian Somerhalder had been cast as Damon I just had to re-read I've finished the first book and I definately see a load of similarities between it and Twilight though Cant wait to read the next book

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 03-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Loyal Fan

no, i most likely wouldn't write her, just was steamed. though i do visit her website often, and see her posting about the pilot. down with the cw!

Quote:
I definately see a load of similarities between it and Twilight though

what were the sumilarities you saw? i dont see any, and find them to be completely different. of course there will always be a romantic aspect in books, but thats for almost everything.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

The part in the classroom reminded me of Twilight. When he's looking at her neck, craving her blood, etc...

I like VD more though.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hmm, that's true. I liked that scene in the book.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I dont know really, I dont remember, the whole part when he's trying to push her away, her reaction to finding out he's a vampire, There were parts of the dialouge though that gave me deja vu but I dont remember which parts, ... then again my mind could be just seeing what it wants to see

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 03-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Part-Time Fan

I just started the 4th book. I'm really liking Bonnie's POV so far. I think I actually even prefer it to Elena's - I thought Elena was really interesting, but I never really liked her. Shows that LJ Smith's good at what she does though, because she did make me feel for Elena, and that's not easy to do with a not-so-likable character.

Sue! She wasn't around much but she seemed nice.

I loved how the 3rd book ended. What happened to Elena was sad but I loved that it brought Stefan and Damon together, and Stefan going after Damon when he left without telling...

I'm spoiled through Amazon reviews though so I already know that E's coming back.

So I saw there's a new trilogy. But so far the reviews haven't been good, so I don't know if I'm going to buy it after I finish this one yet. I don't want the next books to ruin the characters, and a lot of people say LJ really messed up Damon who's my favorite so... IDK.

I changed my mind about Meredith too. She really should be in the cast! But maybe they'll bring her in later? They did that with Vanessa in Gossip Girl - she wasn't around for the first, what, seven, eight episodes or something?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra_H (View Post)
I changed my mind about Meredith too. She really should be in the cast! But maybe they'll bring her in later? They did that with Vanessa in Gossip Girl - she wasn't around for the first, what, seven, eight episodes or something?
i really hope that they do that if the pilot gets picked up! bring in meredith and have caroline go from "frienemy" to "enemy". that would at least fix one of the many problems i have.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread