Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 01:59 AM
Addicted Fan

Southern Vampire Mysteries series by Charlaine Harris Discussion #1

Anyone else reading on these and care to discuss?

Ashleigh
Old 03-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Passionate Fan

never heard of them? Are they any good? I might check them out I love sourthen books and vampires!

Marilyn's World

[ 03-18-2004: Message edited Dixie1903 ]
Old 03-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Loyal Fan

Love them absolutly love them! They are so funny, and a great read and Eric oh boy!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2004, 01:23 AM
Addicted Fan

I think they're great. The first one, I think, is called Dead Until Dark. I've also read the second one, which I believe is called Living Dead in Dallas - correct me if I'm wrong. Still searching for Club Dead and Charlaine Harris' website says the next edition is coming out in May.

The story takes place in Louisiana, and vampires have gained legal rights as a minority group... it's funny and interesting and Sookie Stackhouse is my new hero.

Ashleigh
Old 03-19-2004, 09:25 AM
Passionate Fan

Sounds good I going to go check it out.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Passionate Fan

When I first tried reading Living Dead in Dallas I hated it. But I'm one of those people who has trouble reading series out of order...so I went back and read Dead Until Dark. I'm glad I did, because I ended up really liking Sookie once I got the facts straight on her personal history. It really is a nice cozy vampire series.

I have Club Dead but haven't read it yet. Dead to the World is out in May but it will be a hardcover.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:40 PM
jjt
Master Fan

I may retry this series at some point. But my first impression was not good. A bit too tongue in cheek was the feel I got. But it may have just been my mood at the time. And I didn't feel the main character was fleshed out enough or strong enough or something.

I remember thinking the were-wolf creature was well done though.
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

I like Harris' Dead series. I have read all the stories thus far, Dead Until Dark, Living Dead in Dallas and Club Dead. I also look forward to up-coming release. I find the story and the characters both interesting and compelling. But I find jjt's assessment is accurate, in my opinion it all seem's very tongue-in-check in comparison to other very popular authors such as Laurell K. Hamilton and Kelley Armstrong. But I recognized that particular fact early on and was able to settle with it quite nicely. I now consider it a nice, but light hearted diversion, to my other paranormal reading interests. Taken at that face value, I enjoy and appreciate it for it's worth and difference. Given the choice between a LKH novel and the Southern vampire series, I'd choice LKH first, but I'd get to the Southern vampire series in due time.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Loyal Fan

And for me, the tongue-in-cheek edge to the book has me enjoying them more. I adore Sookie, and Eric? <swoon> Eric Northman is my Vampire Boyfriend. I can't wait to see what transpires between these two in Dead to the World.
"...You looked so lovely in your jean skirt, mini-frock ensemble. So lovely that it made me forget that I am a horrible murderer and unholy creature of the night for 10 entirraah minutes. You are my miracle. xo Bill."
P.S. Eric is Evil."
--io9.com
-Hobbes- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:20 AM
Addicted Fan

I think I like it BECAUSE it was so tongue-in-cheek... it doesn't take itself quite so seriously as other vampire books, and the characters are so much more fun to read about. And who DOESN'T want Eric as their vampire boyfriend? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ashleigh
Old 03-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

So I skimmed/re-read all the major scences of all three books in preparation for the upcoming release. I'm so excited. I was alittle bummed that amazon.com didn't have any book description. But I did a google search on "Harris" and "Dead to the World" and found a few reviews out there. Short, brief and to the point, a teaser without giving away to much spoiler info. I'm so excited.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Loyal Fan

There is a yahoo group called Fangtasia that has spoilers out the yin-yang for DttW. Someone had an ARC. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Also, Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson has an excerpt from it, and the last paragraph had this Eric/Sookie shipper sighing.
"...You looked so lovely in your jean skirt, mini-frock ensemble. So lovely that it made me forget that I am a horrible murderer and unholy creature of the night for 10 entirraah minutes. You are my miracle. xo Bill."
P.S. Eric is Evil."
--io9.com
-Hobbes- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

i just wanted to drop a reminder for those who know (and a clue for those who don't)the author of the Women of the Otherworld series Kelley Armstrong has a book club running on her discussion board, and this months primary selection in Harris's Dead Until Dark. her website is www.kelleyarmstrong.com you can go to the main page and select the link to the discussion board to get there. there is also a thread here in the books forum about her works. enjoy

[ 04-02-2004: Message edited evaki ]
Old 04-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Dedicated Fan

~*I have a collection with I think three books in one big novel. I started reading them but never finished. Maybe I will pick them up again.

~*LoVe,GeekLove,Pacey&Joey,Carly&Jason,Brooke&Mouth,
Betty&Daniel,George&Izzie,Lyla&Jason,Spuffy,Bones&Boothe, Team Karen
Craig&Ashley's hallway scene The Ghost in the Machine Marco&Dylan's kiss King Of Pain Ending scene Butterflied
SydneySummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Part-Time Fan

Book 4 Dead to the World is out!!! I got my copy and plan to start tonight.
Reply   Post New Thread