Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Master Fan

Wheel of Time Part ?

Last thread is here

If y'all would like to list the book titles and a summary or something in the opening posts please just let me know and I'll edit them it or something.

Come visit the WWE/Wrestling Board

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free
Carrie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:40 PM
Loyal Fan

Should we assign a number to this thread, so Carrie doesn't have to keep caling them "Part ?"?

My vote is for restarting the numbering as of the last thread, making this #2.
That perches in the soul --

What?
PepperjackCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Master Fan

New thread. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Hmm... any new thoughts on the Myrddraal? They're pretty nifty... especially if Shaidar Haran isn't the only one with extra powers/True Source channeling.

[img]smilies/read.gif[/img]
AlexEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 06:48 AM
Master Fan

AlexEvans - That's my biggest problem with Cadsuane, too. I am so tired of characters trying to manipulate and force Rand into doing what they want. There is so very little actual communication between these people, and it's causing them so many problems. Of course, it's not just with Rand - it's with other characters as well. But Rand is the one who jumps out in my mind, becuase he's the Dragon Reborn. He's kind of important, and I wish that people would stop playing games with him and betraying him. It seems quite counter-productive, and it's just giving him more and more emotional problems, which he really doesn't need. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] That's why, while I don't think that Cadsuane intends Rand harm in her own mind, I can't like her. I want Moiraine back.

The Myrdraal are freaky. *shudder* I think that Shadar Haran is a special case, though, especially after reading CoT.

[ 06-20-2003: Message edited Anla ]

icon by lunas_borednow
Anla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Master Fan

Thanks Anla I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with all the manipulating. Even Rand does it but it's in self-defense and he at least feels guilty about it!

I agree Moirane would be great... she understood what Rand needed.

Egwene seems to be letting secondary concerns trump primary ones. The big deal is winning the Last Battle. What happens with Aes Sedai afterwards is important but secondary.

Of course, if Egwene were to trust Rand, then he or an Asha'man might figure something out about Halima!

Hopefully I can read the most recent book soon. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] More Shaidar Haran sounds promising.

[img]smilies/read.gif[/img]
AlexEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 10:48 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Abducted Bookworm:
<STRONG>Egwene seems to be letting secondary concerns trump primary ones. The big deal is winning the Last Battle. What happens with Aes Sedai afterwards is important but secondary.</STRONG>
Exactly. At this rate, the Dark One isn't going to have too much trouble when he does finally break free completely. Which, of course, is probably the point. Let the Lord of Chaos rule and all that. (Not that Egwene is the only character guilty of this, but it still annoys me.)

[ 06-22-2003: Message edited Anla ]

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 07-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Loyal Fan

Speaking of Egwene, riddle me this, Batman.

In WH, Egwene decides that the Aes Sedai should become a subset of the Kin based on . . . the fact that the Kin are effectively immortal, right? And they're stronger than the AS? Or just their really, really advanced age?

So, based on that logic, if it turns out that the damane are stronger and/or longer-lived than the AS, Egwene would make them all don a'dam.

:furrowing brow:

What?
Old 07-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Loyal Fan

You know how the names of wolves are condensations of much longer ideas which are their real names?

Does anyone have Hopper's full name handy?

For that matter, have we ever heard Hopper's full name?

What?
Old 07-10-2003, 05:49 AM
Master Fan

I don't recall. Course, it's been a while since I've read the earlier books (I just finished rereading Path of Daggers). I liked Hopper. I liked the whole Perrin/wolves plot-line, in fact.

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 07-10-2003, 08:29 AM
Loyal Fan

I was pressed for time yesterday. We got a dog a couple of weeks ago who looks like a huge fox (well, huge for a fox that is -- she's about the size of a pit bull). But sometimes she looks up at the sky and hops up on her hind legs, and she looks just like I've always seen Hopper. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

So I just reached what I'm pretty sure is the first overt mention of homosexuality in the books last night. Faile thinks about it in regard to Rolan. I think? Cripes, you *know* this series has too many characters when I can only remember plot points and not character names the next day.

Anyway, that really shocked me, since in the grand metaphor for sexual activity that is channeling, two men can't link without a woman.

And I think it's about time RJ gives two characters the same first name. It happens IRL, after all. How many Megans, Heathers, Michaels, Johns, etc., did you have in y'all's grade school class? I was one of two Barbaras, even (we also had two Bri/yans and, for one year, two Davids). It would lend some verisimilitude to the series, actually, since now it's starting to look like all parents really wrack their brains to make up unique names for their children in the WOT reality.

ETA: Especially since we know that they don't necessarily wrack their brains like that. For example, Min's named for a folklore character. I would definitely expect there to be more than one Elmindreda in that case. We should meet her/them.

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited PepperjackCandy ]

What?
Old 07-11-2003, 03:16 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by PepperjackCandy:
<STRONG>And I think it's about time RJ gives two characters the same first name. It happens IRL, after all.</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Oh no! I have a hard enough time keeping track of the character names now as it is, without two with the same name. I'd have a hard time remembering which one did what. (I understand your point about how it would happen in reality, but for purely selfish reasons, I hope he doesn't. I don't need any more difficulty keeping track of the characters. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] )

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited Anla ]

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 07-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Anla:
<STRONG>AlexEvans - That's my biggest problem with Cadsuane, too. I am so tired of characters trying to manipulate and force Rand into doing what they want. There is so very little actual communication between these people, and it's causing them so many problems. Of course, it's not just with Rand - it's with other characters as well. But Rand is the one who jumps out in my mind, becuase he's the Dragon Reborn. He's kind of important, and I wish that people would stop playing games with him and betraying him. It seems quite counter-productive, and it's just giving him more and more emotional problems, which he really doesn't need. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] That's why, while I don't think that Cadsuane intends Rand harm in her own mind, I can't like her. I want Moiraine back.

The Myrdraal are freaky. *shudder* I think that Shadar Haran is a special case, though, especially after reading CoT.

[ 06-20-2003: Message edited Anla ]</STRONG>
Anla: this was a very good post! You expressed exactly my frustration with almost everyone that's bound to Rand (esp Cadsuane!) and their unwillingness to communicate! They all know what is going to happen in a very short time (the Last Battle) but is anyone working together, putting their heads together and trying to come up with a plan to defeat the Dark One? I know it's not easy to do so, it would be impossible to actually come up with a "plan" but it would be so much easier if they'd all Travel and meet some place and talk it out lol! It makes me so mad when in the earlier books Egwene or Nynaeve would learn that something was happening to Rand and then would brush it off and say they had their own problems to worry about. Elayne won't even have a kingdom if she doesn't work with Rand! They all keep each other in the dark so to speak, and communication would be worth its weight in gold if and when they meet the Dark One. So, all this is to say that I hope Moiraine comes back really soon and whips everyone into shape and gets the lines of communications open. Although in the early books, she was quite willing to keep information from everyone, wasn't she? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Shaidar Haran even made The Forsaken toe the line! He's so scary! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2003, 11:19 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottie:
<STRONG>So, all this is to say that I hope Moiraine comes back really soon and whips everyone into shape and gets the lines of communications open. Although in the early books, she was quite willing to keep information from everyone, wasn't she? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] </STRONG>
True. But unlike many of the other characters, Moiraine learned from experience and adapted when necessary. She ultimately realized that she had to change her approach to dealing with Rand. Plus, Moiraine's just cool, so I'm with you on wanting her back. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 07-23-2003, 10:45 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Anla:
<STRONG>

True. But unlike many of the other characters, Moiraine learned from experience and adapted when necessary. She ultimately realized that she had to change her approach to dealing with Rand. Plus, Moiraine's just cool, so I'm with you on wanting her back. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
You're right, Moiraine *did* learn from experience. I remember when they travelling together from the Aiel lands after Rand had been made the Car'a'Cairn (boy, how badly did I butcher that? I'm going from memory on the spelling!) and Moiraine and Rand kept having those battles of will, each trying to learn to deal with the other and how best to treat each other. I think they ended up with quite a wonderful relationship, looking back on it now, where there was respect and dare we say, admiration for each other? I wonder what RJ will come up with to bring Moiraine back. I think it will be brilliant.

Do you have any theories as to who killed Asmodean? If that's already been talked about, please forgive me, but it's always bothered me. I know he was a wimp, but I felt horrible when he was killed.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:00 PM
Dedicated Fan

Could someone post or PM me the author and a very short summary of the book? It sounds like something I might want to pick up.

Thanks,

laura