Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Master Fan

I didn't read the first book in the series until last year--which is kind of weird, because I think Pullman'd been aiming the series towards young teens/pre-teens [I was 16 at the time]. But I really think some of the material in it's too complicated for some younger readers to understand. It's a great series!! Usually I'm not much of a science-fiction reader, but once I'd finished reading "The Golden Compass" I knew I had to read the final two. I'll probably ending up seeing the movie, just because I'll want to see how true it is to the book.

**Actress^Animal Lover^Flutist^Writer**
amusic20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Bringing this thread back in hopes that others out there who have read the series can answer some questions I have.

I just finished The Amber Spyglass and enjoyed it. Especially as it neared the end and Lyra and Will became aware of their feelings for each other. I thought that was really sweet and actually kinda hot which surprised me.

Okay my first question. The land of the dead. Was that a biblical metaphor for something. Purgatory? Hell? I'm not clear on that.

The Authority. Was that the old person in the bubble like thing that Lyra and Will took to the opening and set free? So essentially they lead God to his death?

I'm not getting why the Gobblers and Ms Coulter thought that cutting childrens daemons from them would keep them pure. Did this mean they wouldn't have any so called impure thoughts like sex, essentially not leading to procreation? How insane is that!

Not quite getting the Specters meaning either.

Any clarification on these I'd really appreciate it.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:12 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I always just assumed that the Specters were there, and made th e point of telling us when characters were losing their innocence/childhood.
foreverwood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

But then why would the kill the adults?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Absolute Fan

Hmmm...I don't know
foreverwood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:29 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileycat (View Post)
Bringing this thread back in hopes that others out there who have read the series can answer some questions I have.

I just finished The Amber Spyglass and enjoyed it. Especially as it neared the end and Lyra and Will became aware of their feelings for each other. I thought that was really sweet and actually kinda hot which surprised me.

Okay my first question. The land of the dead. Was that a biblical metaphor for something. Purgatory? Hell? I'm not clear on that.

The Authority. Was that the old person in the bubble like thing that Lyra and Will took to the opening and set free? So essentially they lead God to his death?

I'm not getting why the Gobblers and Ms Coulter thought that cutting childrens daemons from them would keep them pure. Did this mean they wouldn't have any so called impure thoughts like sex, essentially not leading to procreation? How insane is that!

Any clarification on these I'd really appreciate it.
I also found the books a little confusing but I think I've got the gist now and will try and answer your questions.

Firstly, there is no heaven or hell, everyone goes to the land of the dead no matter what, it used to be something better, but now it is what it is, harpies etc I can't remember quite why it changed but I'm fairly sure about the rest.

The Authority was the old person in the bubble, and yes Lyra and Will did kill him, but that wasn't their intention.

The Magisterium believed that by cutting away the children's demons they were essentially cutting away Dust, which essentially stops you from having Dust when your an adult and being 'evil'?? It's very confusing. But remember how the witches compared it to circumcising the children in other universes, I assume they thought it would have the same effect.

The Spectres were a way of telling who was still a child and who wasn't. How close their demons were to forming forever. I also think they have some sort of connection with dust, but I'm not positive.

I hope that helped!
tu es mon ame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Extreme Fan

I absolutely love these books! They are my favourite along with the Darren Shan series. I can read them over and over and i think i've read them 6 times at the moment, i was in the middle of The Amber Spyglasss again but i got a new book so i'm reading them. Even though they can be confusing at some parts they are still brilliant, and the last one makes me cry.

I am yet to see the film 'The Golden Compass'

Sawyer Kate | John Aeryn | Kara Lee
Peter Olivia | Mal Inara | Jaime Cersei
x-emii-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Obsessed Fan

hi! i'm kayley and i'm new to this thread! just wanna say this series is my absolute favorite and i've reread them so many times! i think my favorite chapter of all is The Tower of the Angels! go will! anyway, i look forward to talking about stuff with fellow enthusiasts
Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Master Fan

I know these questions were asked awhile ago, but I always like having discussions..

Quote:
Will and Lyra set him free...and he becomes one with the universe again. I dont take it to mean they killed him. The Authority was the first angel to have emerged from Dust, he is not God the Creator. The authority was an imposter who made everyone else believe that he was the creator.

Quote:
Well thats one way to look at it. To be pure, free from sin, could be taken a number of different ways.

In the case of HDM, I think its namely disobedience to The Church, that is of the most importance to them. Afterall, The Church opposed, and labeled all human wisdom as heresy, and was intent on preventing children from ever “getting Dust”— which means they wanted children growing up without "wisdom" , having no freedom of thought and believing only in what the Church said. They wanted control.

I suppose overtime the theory developed that when the daemon settles on a form, it symbolizes the child growing up and "getting Dust", and that cutting the childs daemon away before it settled would be a way to achieve their goal.

Quote:
I think PP screwed up with the specters, as in their meaning wasnt really explained at all. What most others have said is true, in that they are a way of showing when a child "grows up". There was a point where Will and Lyra could "almost" see the specters, so its nice to see a transition exists, and its not always like, just one day you cant see them, and then "Oh! I can!". Obviously then, the specters feed on The Dust which settle on adults, and NOT children..

but their explaination and meaning are totally lacking, and I dont think anyone really knows about the specters. Like, why could Ms Coultre control them (I vaguely remember she does, for a period of time?). Obviously they arent just some random thing that just roams and feeds on whatever.

"If I hadn't gone into acting, I would be a horsetrainer or a tunnel digger...or a swan"

DEATHtoNORMALCY | VOTEforMISHA
BrokenButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

I read these books during the winter. I'm 18 and I normally read classic lit. If anyone is having doubts about reading a book geared toward teens, you forget about the reading level once you get into the story.
Icon by bleeding_muse
jackofalltrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Elite Fan

it´s true. the books are quite awesome and it never feels like a children books
TessShipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread