Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Chilli:
<STRONG>The deeper meanings were'nt lost on me, but I did'nt really analyse them, it's a book, harmless, people who get angry about it tainting religion in some way should realise that if this book changes a childs views on religion that their beliefs were weak in the first place and open to change. It annoys me to no end when people say that books 'influence' readers into beliefs and views they would'nt normally have. Blah. Thats crap. It may give us new ideas, but at the end of the day we're going to think what we want, no matter what some book suggests.

Hope that little rant made sense [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I get carried away sometimes.</STRONG>
That was a WONDERFUL rant, Chilli! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I agree 100% with you.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:55 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn_Evenstar:
<STRONG>The one I remember clearly is Northern Lights. The rest just merge together as one book. I really enjoyed reading about Will when he first enters the Citadel.Cittaagaze?... I forget what the name of the place is...but the image of that place is very vivid!</STRONG>
It's Cittągazze...I know it cuz I used it in my nick on MSN. Which goes to show how much I loved this series. I thought it was fantastic. At first I had a bit of problem getting into The Golden Compass, but after a while I got really into the whole story. The most wonderful thing was that when I was reading TGC, my sister found The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass in the library, so I could read all three at one shot, which I did [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] it was mindblowing. It's quite coincidental cuz in my last post I was just mentioning how I loved the ending of HDM, and the next thing I saw was this thread. I just had to come here.

So yeah I totally loved the ending...it was so sad. I cried buckets. Will and Lyra...I think the fact that they don't have a "happily ever after" kind of ending makes the story more tragic, and therefore more compelling. I thought that Philip Pullman's depiction of God as evil was really brave of him, and he did it really well - it all fit in nicely with no loopholes or whatever. I don't know about the movie. I think it would be really cool. My favourite would have to be The Amber Spyglass (though I didn't really like the Mary Malone bits) because it was the conclusion, and was stunningly done.

I don't think that children will be very affected by the theology in HDM - if they could accept the depiction of Harry Potter's punishment at the hands of Umbridge, they can accept this. Overall, HDM is a brave attempt at being original and it was very successful too...three cheers for HDM!
Old 01-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by mapraleif:
<STRONG>So yeah I totally loved the ending...it was so sad. I cried buckets. Will and Lyra...I think the fact that they don't have a "happily ever after" kind of ending makes the story more tragic, and therefore more compelling. </STRONG>
I agree. The ending had me in tears, but it was the right ending. I was reading a review of TAS and it said: The ending is tragic yet fitting...I have to say that's the best way to put it. Gosh, HDM is just fantastic.

I hope they do well with the movie version. Like picking good, talanted actors and really capturing the life of the story. We'll just have to wait and see...The Golden Compass is probably going to be released sometime in 2005.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Addicted Fan

Movie Version?!? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Thats new to me, but great news everywhere for talented youn actors. It would be the sort of movie I think which would showcase excellent acting abilities if the right people were selected. Any more Goss on this movie thing or have I just previously missed it. I'll check out the other posts. have a habit of only reading the last few.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:39 AM
Master Fan

I can't seem to access the links for the movie version, so I don't know how Lyra and Will look [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Loyal Fan

Those links on the first page are only for the stage version of HDM, not the movie version. I haven't heard anything more about the movie version or who's going to be in them. I'll try to find out whenever I can. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2004, 09:38 AM
Loyal Fan

I wish there were some information about the movie! This waiting is too long.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Loyal Fan

Me too! I've heard it may be coming out in late 2005, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Fan

I made myself a Lyra/Will avatar. Heh. I know it's not much but I just had to show how I much felt for these two.

It's so tragic and even though Pullman inists that their story is over I'd still like to believe in a Someday for the both of them. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]
Starlightmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:51 AM
Loyal Fan

Yeah, really. They're just such a pure, wonderful pair. It's that kind of love you really want, you know? It's wonderful. Beautiful avatar, by the way.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Starlightmint:
<STRONG>I made myself a Lyra/Will avatar.
It's so tragic and even though Pullman inists that their story is over I'd still like to believe in a Someday for the both of them. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Your avatar's awesome! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I feel the same way; I wish they would get back together. I might decided to write fan fiction based on the bks, & would take place many years after they returned to their worlds. Oh well, I guess not all stories have happy endings.

[ 04-02-2004: Message edited amusic20 ]

**Actress^Animal Lover^Flutist^Writer**
amusic20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Fan

I'd like to read your fic if you ever write it. I've read some HDM fic over at FF.net Some are alright.

Have any of you guys read Lyra's Oxford? I'm planning on buying it as soon as I see a copy. I know a lot people were complaining it was too short but I still want to read it. I heard there are a lot of mentions of Will. [img]smilies/in_love.gif[/img]
Starlightmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Loyal Fan

I haven't read Lyra's Oxford yet, but I hope too soon. Anything in that series would be great. I do hope the mention Will... [img]smilies/in_love.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

Lyra's Oxford is short, but it's really good. There's fun things to look at which makes it more worthwhile [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 08:16 AM
Loyal Fan

*sigh* Right. In this damn, stupid country there's no chance that Lyra's Oxford will ever come out, or dare I say, be translated. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread