Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Loyal Fan

Ben- Yeah, I've seen it, it is pretty small. But sometimes small books pack lotsa punch! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Hood- Where do you live? I'm sorry it's not out there... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2004, 04:37 AM
Loyal Fan

I'm from Croatia, if you've ever heard of it. The Amber Spyglass came here last year. I would have gone crazy, if I hadn't ordered it from Amazon.com.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:45 AM
Loyal Fan

Yes, I've heard of Croatia. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Cool, but I'm sorry the books don't come out as early... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

So excited to read LO! It hasn't come to the library yet though... [img]smilies/pout.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2004, 05:18 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Johanna*~:
<STRONG>So excited to read LO!</STRONG>
Me too. I need a Will fix. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Even though I know he's not there I still want to read it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Wow, Hood, how is it like in Croatia? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Starlightmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 05:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey, I've just finished HDM and I loved them. I was just so engrossed in what was happening and I loved how it had so many issues in it, it really makes you think. Brilliant.

But the ending! Poor Will and Lyra..their pain was just so real and raw. At first I didn't think I'd like their relationship but it was just done so well it seemed such a natural development.

I read Lyra's Oxford too - well, it doesn't take long - a bit too short but enjoyable nonetheless. And Ben I agree about the fun things to look at [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Kat | icon |
silver lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Starlightmint:
<STRONG>

Wow, Hood, how is it like in Croatia? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Boring. They like folk music, for example.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Dedicated Fan

I'm reading "Mrs.Dalloway" by Virginia Woolf.

Don't be mean to posers - they are just looking for theirselves

MMS #26 ** ILY #29 ** WYMM #28 ** Vicious Trollop #16
**Maddy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Loyal Fan

Maddy- i believe you posted on the wrong thread, hun.

I was wondering, has anyone done any HDM fan art? I'm thinking of going to the Fan Art board and requesting some from people that know the story. I'd love to have some great art.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Master Fan

I don't know about fan art, but it'll be nice...oh and I want to read Lyra's Oxford too. It looks amazing. So what if it's short? I need to read HDM again.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Fan

Regarding fan art, I found a couple online. Hang on while I upload 'em.
Starlightmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Loyal Fan

I loved the first two books, I just found the last one a major letdown. It didn't make sense to me, either. I was expecting this huge, explosive climax and I was kinda disappointed.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Loyal Fan

it wasn't a big climax? hmmm well i thought there was a big ending (with Asriel & Coulter) 3/4 of the way through. then it kind of went slow at the end. To me it was a unique way of doing this, since most books have the huge climax right at the end.

But that's your opinion.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:37 AM
Loyal Fan

I liked the ending so much. I thought it was way more exciting than it would be if there was some bombastic action scene in the end.
Oh, and those chapters names and the quotes above the chapter. *sighs* I wish I were reading HDM for the first time again.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm re-reading His Dark Materials and I'm loving them even more this time around. Pullman is such an amazing storyteller. I just love the scope of the books, it's just brilliant.

I have to say I'm not at all happy about the developments regarding the film. Cutting out the references to God and religion to me cuts away part of what makes the book so interesting. Part of me hopes the film is never made if they're going to alter it so much. I just wish a film company brave enough to stay true to the story was in charge. I know Philip Pullman has said that the Authority needn't just represent a religious (or something like that) but it does in the book and I think it's a bad idea to change it.

Kat | icon |
silver lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Dedicated Fan

Well, one of my best friends had been trying to get me to read this series for the past few years...and I finally had some time in January to see what all the fuss was about....

Now, I know....and I hate when she's right! I loved the series, especially the last two books. However, to be honest, there were some 'letdowns' to me regarding the last book. Personally, I don't care how well structured a plot is, if I can't feel --- empathize for the main character -- then I feel there's something crucial lacking. I have to admit, since the second book, I cared more for Will than I did Lyra. Don't get me wrong.... I loved their relationship.....but in terms of character development...Will to me became the main character....his story was much more riveting for me than Lyra's....that tells me something is wrong with the conclusion of a story. If you look at The Golden Compass , this was Lyra's story -- at the end of the book I couldn't wait to find out what happens now between Lyra and her mother and her father....the 'triangle dynamic' intrigued me. Instead, Lyra never does meet up with her parents again....yes, her mother kidnaps her in the second book....but she was unconscious the whole time....there was no resolution at the end of the third book between her and her parents. This disappointed me considering how the first book set up soooo many possibilities.

Consequently, I felt Will's story was more interesting. Yes, he is a main character -- however, it is really Lyra's story -- but I felt I lost interest in her personal struggles.

Don't get me wrong....I love the series...but I felt that that struck me as odd.....loving a series.....but not caring much for the conflicts of the main character...