Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchochile (View Post)
Hi, from the list I have read only El beso de la Mujer Araña (Kiss of the Spider Woman), and I really liked it. I live in Chile so I don't have the chance to buy gay books very often, so when I travel I do it. I have read too 4 books by Alex Sanchez, Rainbow Boys, Rainbow High, Rainbow Road and So hard to say.
Happy new year to all of you, and sorry for my english.

Chao
Actually, your English is quite good. If you ever have something in Spanish that you don't know how to say in English, just let me know. There are a lot of translators around and they'd be happy to help you out. If you need one, I'll find one for you. Welcome to the book board
Old 01-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Total Fan

Hi, panchochile!
Your english is quite good for me too!

I've heard about El Beso de La Mujer Araña by Manuel Puig.
There is also a movie, isn't?

And I still own you all a decent OP!

Last edited by Samwise Gamgee; 01-03-2010 at 09:00 AM
Samwise Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Supreme Fan

Yes, there's a movie. It stars William Hurt and Raul Julia. It looks interesting, but I'd want to read the book before I watched the movie, since that's normally the order I like to do things in.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:16 AM
Total Fan

Me too. I did the same with LoTR and I thank God for that!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:55 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gamgee (View Post)
Me too. I did the same with LoTR and I thank God for that!
For Lord of the Rings it was reversed, mainly because I didn't really have any interest in the book before I watched the movie. I didn't really know what it was about or anything like that. Now I'm just waiting to unpack my books and I'll be ready to read it.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Total Fan

I was introduced into Tolkien's world by a college friend. He borrowed me the books when we first heard about the movie's production! I'm so glad he did it! I can really say it changed everything!
Old 12-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gamgee (View Post)
That's what subtext is: may be or may be not something between the lines.
I really don't think Sam and Frodo are gay. I just "ship" them in that way. I think they have such a beautiful love for each other that could have made its way as something more... But I also don't want to think and say that two men can't be close like that as friends. It really makes it cheap. I understand your point. If they were a couple... it probably wouldn't have that magic between them. But as I said before... you can easily think about "something" more by reading the books or watching the movies... And what leads you to think about that it's the subtext.
I certainly won't begrudge you shipping

Only over the last year have I been slashing, and I've got quite a few m/m ships now.
But I think with the LotR I started reading them when I was 8, so I didn't really ship at all back then

I have two to add to the list.

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. Canon m/m pairing
Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman. Bi (3rd main character), m/m pairing introduced in Book 4.. flirts with guys in all books
Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Total Fan

Added to the first thread!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Bought my first gay/lesbian book and I gotta say it was awkward. I tried not to but 5 times I kept going back to the section that had those books. (Being gay/les myself I was curious). Anyone awkward the first time they bought their first gay/les book?
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Elite Fan

It would've been awkward for me while still in high school--I was never homophobic by any means, but just didn't really get it I suppose. That being said I had to start off slow, but considering the mangas I'll read I've definitely graduated

Not interested in fem!slash though, I won't avoid it but I won't seek it out either
Old 01-05-2011, 03:53 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Cullen (View Post)
Bought my first gay/lesbian book and I gotta say it was awkward. I tried not to but 5 times I kept going back to the section that had those books. (Being gay/les myself I was curious). Anyone awkward the first time they bought their first gay/les book?
Not really. I'm bisexual, so for me it was pretty liberating, honestly. I'd moved out of the house to go to college. My parents were reasonably conservative and religious so I didn't necessarily feel like I could have a book like that in my house, but my dorm room was more private, so it gave me the opportunity to buy books where the main characters were lesbian or bisexual. I've not gotten too much into the genre. Other than a few select authors, I feel like most of them write like f/f or m/m fan fiction writers, but at the time, it was nice to have access to a wider range of literature where main characters didn't fall into that hetero-normative world where most of them live, and at the time, I could relate to them a little better.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Elite Fan

To add:
The Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray has f/f, secondary characters though and mostly implied

and The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith has bromance/subtext between best friends, and an m/m kidnapping/almost rape..

Last edited by Tomorrow's skies; 01-07-2011 at 05:57 PM
Tomorrow's skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow the Sarah Waters novels need to be on here!

Tipping the Velvet
Affinity
Fingersmith
The Nightwatch
Scully_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:49 PM
New Fan

Hi,

I think the “problem” is that often non-erotic gay books are listed in non-gay categories, whereas erotic ones are associated with the homosexual topic.
I am writing a blog about my “non erotic” gay book if anyone is interested you can view it here: Mark's blog
roelmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Elite Fan

I guess being non-erotic makes it "safer" reading