Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Total Fan

What is it about [2]!

What a coincidence... I was lurking around this thread yesterday before the bump!!
Samwise Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Master Fan

Kiss of the Spider Woman by Manuel Puig. It is really an amazing book.

Summary

Kiss of the Spider Woman focuses on two characters: Valentin, a Marxist revolutionary, and Molina, a homosexual window-dresser, who share a prison cell for six months. Molina passes the time by telling Valentin the stories of his favorite movies in great detail. Valentin at first reluctantly listens to Molina's narration of these tales of melodramatic romance, criticizing Molina for indulging in escapist fantasies rather than in political activism. But Valentin eventually becomes enthralled with the stories, as he becomes emotionally drawn to Molina.Over the course of their confinement, however, the two men fall in love and ultimately become lovers. Upon his release from prison, Molina agrees to help Valentin in his political cause by passing on important information to his fellow revolutionaries.
waterflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Total Fan

Added.
I really need to organize the list a bit better!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Master Fan

The list is fine
waterflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, the list looks fine. I haven't found anything good, recently. I read I Can't Think Straight and The World Unseen both by Shamim Sarif. They're really interesting and deal with lesbian relationships in conservative societies. I Can't Think Straight looks at two Middle Eastern women who fall in love, and The World Unseen takes place in Africa during Apartheid so they're both really good and interesting and have great portrayals of relationships in them. I really enjoyed reading them, and there are movies of both which I would recommend as well.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Total Fan

Don't know... the list looks like is just thrown there...

Quote:
Yeah, the list looks fine. I haven't found anything good, recently. I read I Can't Think Straight and The World Unseen both by Shamim Sarif. They're really interesting and deal with lesbian relationships in conservative societies. I Can't Think Straight looks at two Middle Eastern women who fall in love, and The World Unseen takes place in Africa during Apartheid so they're both really good and interesting and have great portrayals of relationships in them. I really enjoyed reading them, and there are movies of both which I would recommend as well.
Sounds very interesting!
Amazing tip.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Supreme Fan

Sure, anytime. I'm hoping to finally be able to buy the DVDs after Christmas, since they finally came out in the US. Of course, my books are boxed up because of my move, but they're really good and when I finally unpack them, I'd like to read them again.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Total Fan

And be sure to give us some interesting quotes!
We'd love!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, I will. There are some really good ones in the books. I'll see if the movies actually use any lines from the books. I think they do, since they were written and directed by the author, which is pretty cool.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:48 AM
Total Fan

That's great! It's almost a guarantee of some good adaptadion!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gamgee (View Post)
That's great! It's almost a guarantee of some good adaptadion!
Yeah, it is. In this case it was really good. The author is gay, and her partner was the producer so really, it was totally in her hands about what she wanted to do and the story she wanted to tell so it turned out really well. Like I said, I'm hoping to get those DVDs after Christmas since they've finally come out with Region One DVDs and they have a boxed set from amazon.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Total Fan

That's really nice.
I'm doin a list of books I want to read and I'm gettin the suggestion from this board and specially from this thread!

Oh boy.
We still have this region thing?
Old 12-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, I hate the region DVDs. There are several TV series that I want to get from the UK which aren't available on DVD in the US, but I can't because I don't have a region free DVD player. And sometimes, movies that are made in Europe come out in the UK a lot faster than they do in the US. At least these were made into DVDs here. Some movies/TV shows, I haven't been that lucky with.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel (View Post)
Yeah, I hate the region DVDs. There are several TV series that I want to get from the UK which aren't available on DVD in the US, but I can't because I don't have a region free DVD player. And sometimes, movies that are made in Europe come out in the UK a lot faster than they do in the US. At least these were made into DVDs here. Some movies/TV shows, I haven't been that lucky with.
Oh crap!
Why don't they do a universal thing? Gosh... we're heading into 2010!!

Thank God a french friend of mine didn't buy me "Les Rois Maudits" (The Damn Kings). It's an adaptation from Maurice Druon's books!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:53 PM
New Fan

Hi, from the list I have read only El beso de la Mujer Araña (Kiss of the Spider Woman), and I really liked it. I live in Chile so I don't have the chance to buy gay books very often, so when I travel I do it. I have read too 4 books by Alex Sanchez, Rainbow Boys, Rainbow High, Rainbow Road and So hard to say.
Happy new year to all of you, and sorry for my english.

Chao
panchochile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread