Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2020, 11:39 AM
Obsessed Fan

They mentioned Tina once, though. To their credit, they didn't mind to make fun of that plot hole
Old 05-09-2020, 06:18 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishik5 (View Post)
They mentioned Tina once, though.
Once, eh?
Old 05-09-2020, 06:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Donna's sisters were retconned out, but the show did acknowledge Tina in a later episode as a joke (since she wasn't just mentioned but actually played a role in one of the early eps).

Donna was originally the middle child, and it makes me wonder if the show planned to do Jan Brady jokes with her.

Tina was thirteen and not in high school yet, so I don't think she and Jackie would've had anything to do with each other in school. But Jackie likely would've interacted with her when visiting Donna.

Of course, Tina entering Point Place High during the second season (because she'd probably be allowed to grow a little older) while Donna remains a junior and Jackie a sophomore would've been Point Place Time (tm) at its worst (or its best, depending on your point of view ).

There was a lot of potential for Valerie's character. I hope she'd be too smart to be interested in Kelso. I could imagine the show hooking her up with Hyde, though, as a sequel (of a sort) to Hyde's romantic feelings for Donna. That might've kept Jackie/Hyde from becoming a thing, though, depending on the timing. The jokes about Eric and Donna's friends dating their older sisters could've been good ...

And make sense, unlike the jokes about Kelso dating Hyde's sister, which were not revenge on Eric's part -- despite what the writing had him say -- since Hyde actually tried to get Kelso to stop his affair with Laurie and didn't burn Eric for it.

Then again, Valerie doesn't have to be romantically involved with any of the main T7S characters. Or she could've been gay or bi, allowing T7S to have a semi-regular LGTB+ character who was given a proper storyline without the gay-panic-for-laughs aspect of "Eric's Buddy" (1x11).
Old 06-10-2020, 06:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Brought over from here:http://www.fanforum.com/f27/70s-show...27/index3.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanDoug (View Post)
This is more about the show itself but I will say one of my favorite episodes is Vanstock. I loved specifically the Red/Kitty storyline that parodies soap operas. My two favorite parts were the "I'M NOT KITTY" scene and the ending tag that parodies a show a lot of people my age I know are not familiar with. I especially loved the Jay Johnson cameo in that same scene as well.

This was the show at its best, it was hilarious at this time. I rewatched the season 8 premiere recently and honestly it wasn't even the same show anymore. (When Randy first appeared I cringed hard) Even seasons 6 and 7 were meh. Seasons 1 and 2 are the best seasons and 3 and 4 are great too. Season 5 was good though a decline was noticeable by then, honestly the show for me truly ended there.

I was also disappointed by the way That 70s Finale ended.
I love the soap opera/Red-and-Kitty storyline from "Vanstock". And the reference to Soap (which I was luckily able to watch in reruns many years after its original run).

Season 2 of the show is my favorite season. Characterization is mostly consistent and leads the plot and humor -- rather than the other way around. It also retains a lot of the quirkiness of season 1 (although it's been toned down).

For me, the decline in writing quality and consistency starts toward the end of season 5.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:02 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
Season 2 of the show is my favorite season. Characterization is mostly consistent and leads the plot and humor -- rather than the other way around. It also retains a lot of the quirkiness of season 1 (although it's been toned down).

For me, the decline in writing quality and consistency starts toward the end of season 5.
Season 6 is the point where I start going for Jackie/Hyde scene clips on YouTube more often than I go for the episodes, so that definitely tracks. I enjoy Seasons 2,3 and 5 (until the cheating plot) the most I think.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
Brought over from here:http://www.fanforum.com/f27/70s-show...27/index3.html

I love the soap opera/Red-and-Kitty storyline from "Vanstock". And the reference to Soap (which I was luckily able to watch in reruns many years after its original run).

This show was another unfortunate victim of character reductions. Eric became a d*ck, Donna was just a feminist, Fez was just horny (though it got better at the end of season 8) Bob was just creepy and perverted, and Kelso was just dumb (but still retained some decent characterization)

Red also got reduced to just being an a**hole and Jackie got reduced to just being a brat, though these two didn't suffer as much.

By this time really only Hyde and Kitty were decent characters.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarouselUnique (View Post)
Season 6 is the point where I start going for Jackie/Hyde scene clips on YouTube more often than I go for the episodes, so that definitely tracks.
By putting plot and punchline (and guest stars) in front of character development in the writing, the overall quality of the show went way down. Plots and punchlines should have arose organically from character (and character development) -- as they do in the earlier seasons.

Quote:
This show was another unfortunate victim of character reductions.
And character drift. Characters should grow and change while still remaining recognizable as themselves at their core. Or if a major change to a character happens, the story groundwork has to be laid for that change. Other characters should acknowledge and be affected by that change, etc. and not whistle and metaphorically say, "Nothing to see here."
Old 06-13-2020, 10:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

You should've met me whenever I was a young teenager. I was HUGELY obsessed with the show and watched it a lot. (Though sadly didn't notice the music changes yet) My stepmom hated the show cause of the crude humor though. Also sadly the first episode I ever watched was Fun It which is sadly from season 8. I thought the episode was hilarious at the time but now I think it's meh.

I'll admit I'm not obsessed with the show as much as I used to but I still really enjoy it.

And honestly idk what's worse, the decision to continue the show without Eric , the existence of That 80s Show, or even existence of the British shot by shot remake Days Like These

Last edited by SpacemanDoug; 06-13-2020 at 10:56 PM
Old 06-14-2020, 06:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
You should've met me whenever I was a young teenager. I was HUGELY obsessed with the show and watched it a lot. (Though sadly didn't notice the music changes yet) My stepmom hated the show cause of the crude humor though. Also sadly the first episode I ever watched was Fun It which is sadly from season 8. I thought the episode was hilarious at the time but now I think it's meh.
Your first exposure to T7S was a S8 episode, and you continued to watch the series?

...Then again, since you hadn't seen any quality episodes of T7S yet, you had nothing to compare S8 to.

Quote:
And honestly idk what's worse, the decision to continue the show without Eric , the existence of That 80s Show, or even existence of the British shot by shot remake Days Like These
Days Like These, for me, was interesting to watch because some of the episodes kept in dialogue and scenes that were cut from the U.S. versions (either after they'd been filmed or during filming). Just as you're dedicated to preserving knowledge of the episodes' original music, I like to get as much (pre-S8) story- and character-detail about the show as possible. So I watched all the eps of Days Like These that were available and took notes (and reported my findings on this message board).
Old 06-14-2020, 07:09 AM
Part-Time Fan

Did you ever see That 80s Show?

Also yes my first full episode I saw was from season 8, and I'm so glad I watched earlier episodes soon after

I discovered the show whenever it started airing on Teennick around 2010 or so, it was advertised frequently and I liked what I saw of it

Two of the clips they used to advertise the show came from the first half
One was the moment when Fez tries and fails at crushing a beer can and the other was the "cushion butt" scene between Hyde and Kelso

Last edited by SpacemanDoug; 06-14-2020 at 08:58 AM
Old 06-14-2020, 11:31 AM
Obsessed Fan

I gave "Days Like These" a try out of curiosity, but couldn't get past two or three episodes. Main issue i had with the show was acting The way those guys delivered their lines and emotions was so... robotic?
Made me cringe.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Did you ever see That 80s Show?
Yeah, I watched it when it originally aired. I enjoyed it back then (but didn't love it). I have no idea if I'd like it now, though. Mostly what remember about it is Glenn Howerton, the punk girl he ends up with, the record store, Eddie Shin, and a joke about one of the first cell phones.

Quote:
Also yes my first full episode I saw was from season 8, and I'm so glad I watched earlier episodes soon after
I'm glad you did, too.

Quote:
Two of the clips they used to advertise the show came from the first half
One was the moment when Fez tries and fails at crushing a beer can and the other was the "cushion butt" scene between Hyde and Kelso
Ah. Mild hijinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishik5 (View Post)
I gave "Days Like These" a try out of curiosity, but couldn't get past two or three episodes. Main issue i had with the show was acting The way those guys delivered their lines and emotions was so... robotic?
Made me cringe.
Aw! I thought the actor who played Kelso did well.

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 06-15-2020 at 05:47 AM
Old 06-15-2020, 07:13 AM
Part-Time Fan

I'm actually surprised That 80s Show ended up on Hulu in the first place considering how forgotten it is now. Also from what I saw it's enjoyable, just don't compare it to That 70s Show otherwise you'll hate it. I really appreciate how it tried real hard to differentiate itself from 70s though a lot would hate it for being too different. But even I'll admit it isn't the best either because it does have some cringey moments. I still think it's better than season 8 of 70s though.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I'm actually surprised That 80s Show ended up on Hulu in the first place considering how forgotten it is now. Also from what I saw it's enjoyable, just don't compare it to That 70s Show otherwise you'll hate it. I really appreciate how it tried real hard to differentiate itself from 70s though a lot would hate it for being too different. But even I'll admit it isn't the best either because it does have some cringey moments. I still think it's better than season 8 of 70s though.
Hard not to be better than season 8 pf T7S. Not a high bar to pass.

Maybe That '80s Show is a draw for a few people. Every dollar counts?
Old 06-16-2020, 06:51 AM
Obsessed Fan

Unaired pilot of Full House is better than S8 of T7S

Quote:
Aw! I thought the actor who played Kelso did well
Don't remember him, honestly. But Donna, in my opinion, was horrible.