Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2004, 06:59 PM
M3
Master Fan

My New Best Friend... a less scary version of "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance". Who cares if someone's friend is an ass, the SCARY part of this is the whole "You're going to marry THAT GUY?!?!" Poor Ashton. Too little, too late. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Don't wanna be an American idiot. One nation controlled by the media.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
PUNK'D: THE SEQUEL: Ashton Kutcher is so not finished doing business with MTV. Just weeks after dumping Punk'd, Demi's studmuffin is developing a new hidden-camera comedy for the network titled My New Best Friend. Contestants on the show must convince friends and family that a person they've never met before is their new best friend. The twist? The new chum is actually an improv actor who gets paid to act like a major jackass.
Another rip off from the UK. I watched the British show of this and it is reaaaaally funny. The guy that is the best friend is like so funny, he is a dork and embarreses them all the time. I don't see why they need Ashton but hey.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

More in depth article about new MTV show...

Ashton Kutcher Still a 'Friend' to MTV
By Andrew Wallenstein

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Weeks after having its top-rated "Punk'd" junked, MTV is back in business with Ashton Kutcher on a new series.

The actor's Katalyst Films shingle is developing "My New Best Friend," a hidden-camera comedy in a similar vein to "Punk'd," which Katalyst decided to end after two seasons.

"Friend" is one of 18-20 pilots the teen-friendly network plans to develop for 2004.

Although MTV is coming off its highest-rated year among its target 12-34 demographic, Brian Graden, president of entertainment at MTV and VH1, noted that nearly 90% of the channel's programing met ratings targets, a figure he realized would be difficult to repeat this year.

"That is too precarious a stat to base your future on," he said, noting that 60% would be a more realistic success rate. "The notion is we need enough content to choose from."

MTV's recent hits include "The Osbournes" and "Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica," and hopes are hopes are high for its upcoming "Carmen & Dave," which traces the marriage preparations of Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro and Carmen Electra.

"The feedback we've been getting from celebrities is that they feel creatively safe here," said Lois Curren, executive vp MTV series entertainment. "They know we can attach the right people to help them realize what they want to do on TV."

But Kutcher's decision to end "Punk'd," the anchor of MTV's "Sunday Stew" lineup, which drew young male viewers in record numbers to the channel, came as a setback. Graden admits that he was unprepared for the news that its creators felt the series had run its course. "It took me by surprise," he said. "But at MTV, we've gotten used to fast cycles and phenomena."

Softening the blow is "Friend," which is based on a British series of the same name. In "Friend," a contestant can win a substantial cash prize by convincing friends and/or family that a person they have never met before -- actually an improv actor handpicked by Katalyst -- is a new best friend. The actor makes the task as difficult as possible by behaving inappropriately.

"We looked at 'Punk'd' as a great platform for improv actors," said Jason Goldberg, co-principal at Katalyst with Kutcher. "This is also a show where improv actors really take it to the limit."

Kutcher will co-executive produce "Friend" but is not expected to serve in an on-air capacity as he did on "Punk'd." No airdate has been scheduled.

In the meantime, a reconfigured "Sunday Stew" will return in April with "Punk'd" lead-out series "Viva la Bam" in the anchor slot because the latter series shone brightly enough to outperform "Punk'd" in the ratings on a few occasions.

Another "Stew" series, "Wildboyz," also will return, but Graden will likely move a fourth "Stew" stalwart, "One Bad Trip," out of the block, leaving two spaces to fill before it returns.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Old 01-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Master Fan

Sounds cool [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Fan

http://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html

For the Ellen DeGeneres show (Check local listings for time and channel since it's syndicated)

Th 1/22: Topher Grace
Fr 1/23: Ashton Kutcher

I mentioned Ashton's date for those who are also interested.

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/showinfo/whenitson.html

Click on your state.

Carol

[ 01-10-2004: Message edited Good_Day ]
Old 01-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Loyal Fan

Thought I would post this cause this writer is so darn right Not going to post the whole article it is here
Fourth Bananas

Quote:
6. Don Stark (plays "Mr. Pinciotti" on That '70s Show). In a cast that may actually be the strongest ensemble cast in a network comedy today (although this season has been a little weaker than past years), most of the main characters do the comedic heavy lifting and share screen time equally, and so they don't qualify for this category. (Sadly, they seem to rarely be considered by Emmy voters, perhaps for the same reason: Topher Grace, Ashton Kutcher, Danny Masterson, Wilmer Veldarrama, and Mila Kunis are some of the best comic actors working today.) But the writers have used Stark to show off all the things about the '70s that look particularly idiotic today - the white afros, the leisure suits, and far, far, worse - and he deserves recognition for submitting to this.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by kezune:
<STRONG>Thought I would post this cause this writer is so darn right Not going to post the whole article it is here
Fourth Bananas

</STRONG>

It's very true, but I noticed that they didn't list Laura when they listed all the other cast members. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Extreme Fan

Laura's comedic timing isn't quiiite as top-notch as the others, in my opinion. From what I've noticed, her skills are much better suited for more dramatic situations. Kinda like how it's basically the opposite for Ashton. Drama is not really his forte, but physical comedy pretty much comes natural to him. Just my opinion anyway. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

But yeah, poor Don deserves 1249715% more recognition than what he actually gets. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Addicted Fan

I just wanted to let everyone know that Kurtwood Smith is on tonight's (January 11) episode of Malcolm in the Middle!

[ 01-14-2004: Message edited KatieS41787 ]
Old 01-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'll be watching [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] that show, Chris [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by J@NeY:
<STRONG>I'll be watching [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] that show, Chris [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Chris [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img] is the main reason I watch every week!
Old 01-11-2004, 09:34 PM
M3
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by KatieS41787:
<STRONG>I just wanted to let everyone know that Kurtwood Smith is on tonight's (January 19) episode of Malcolm in the Middle!</STRONG>
geddout! That'll be cool to see. I had no idea.

I agree, never miss Malcolm [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Has anyone seen the new commercial for T7S? It's outtakes from a scene! So cute.

Old 01-11-2004, 09:35 PM
M3
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by KatieS41787:
<STRONG>I just wanted to let everyone know that Kurtwood Smith is on tonight's (January 19) episode of Malcolm in the Middle!</STRONG>
geddout! That'll be cool to see. I had no idea.

I agree, never miss Malcolm [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Has anyone seen the new commercial for T7S? It's outtakes from a scene! So cute.

Old 01-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

M3~ Who were the outtakes of? Was it Danny or Wil? Was it? Was it? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2004, 09:49 PM
M3
Master Fan

Sorry, I'll describe. I didn't look at first until I heard something about military ... academy? Anyway, it has Kelso in uniform and some other older guy with him also in uniform standing in the Forman driveway. And NotLaurie and Fez and Kitty are all standing on the Forman patio across from them. The guy goes to grab the bullhorn Kelso is holding and fumbles it. I think they showed it four times? Each time a different mess up and different reactions, DJR laughing into her hand, NotLaurie snickering, even Ashton was laughing at one point. Must watch TV all night to see it repeated for glorious glimpse of Wilmer Smile *sigh*