Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Elite Fan

Donna's Spring Dance dress was such a classic tiny plot. Steve really gave extra value to it the following year after the extravagant mermaid costume like, 'Why do you do these things?'

Quote:
You need to bear in mind that Brandon turned down Kelly in the previous episode.
I didn't forget. Just don't think Kelly was 'reeling' quite so much from the rejection (as far as S1-S3 writing goes) or ready to take things out on Andrea.

Quote:
That does not mean she was not ready for sex, just not under such circumstances. And it was not up to Kelly to estimate that at all.
Not up to her, no. It is I, the viewer, sizing her up and considering Andrea's nerves up to that point. For instance, I think it was easier for Andrea to decide to "give herself" to Brandon so long as he was leaving town (and that brings up a red flag to me, according to my own value judgments). Like you said, though, she also felt that her crush was stronger than his and would prefer to be in a relationship with him rather than "finish the business" in the aftermath of him staying in BH.

Quote:
But anyway, I think Kelly simply thought Andrea should step aside with her wish to sleep with Brandon for "greater cause" like saying bye to the Walshes.
See, that's something I can believe.

Promo from 1x06:

Old 06-19-2016, 04:46 PM
Master Fan

The feelings between Andrea and Brandon was sadly one way - Brandon just wanted friendship and that was it. I guess Andrea got fed up of waiting and decided to move on, which is fair enough. OK he did get a bit jealous when Andrea was going out with other guys in S3 but poor girl was waiting all that time and he didn't exactly do anything
Old 06-23-2016, 09:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't remember that promo. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2016, 12:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Donna's Spring Dance dress was such a classic tiny plot. Steve really gave extra value to it the following year after the extravagant mermaid costume like, 'Why do you do these things?'
I love that scene. But many people see it as paternalistic from Steve. There is something to it, but I am still a fan

Quote:
For instance, I think it was easier for Andrea to decide to "give herself" to Brandon so long as he was leaving town (and that brings up a red flag to me, according to my own value judgments). Like you said, though, she also felt that her crush was stronger than his and would prefer to be in a relationship with him rather than "finish the business" in the aftermath of him staying in BH.
Yes. I guess that she agreed on Kelly's suggestion very quickly for all the reasons mentioned.

That promo is so dramatic! I loved that episode.

Brenda stands alone. Because she can.
Icon by oth. fan
Old 07-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really like the intro of the characters. I felt bad for David at first. My favorites are Dylan, Brenda, Brandon and Steve. I do like Kelly too. The others aren't my favorites.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Master Fan

In Season 1
1. Dylan 2. Brandon 3. Brenda 4. Kelly 5. Steve

Yes I liked Kelly in S1 and 2. Dylan was my favorite in the first 2 seasons but then he went downhill after that.
Overall my top 4 fav are Brandon, Steve, Brenda and Valerie (liked Clare as well). My worst is Donna then Kelly.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopManKing (View Post)
In Season 1
1. Dylan 2. Brandon 3. Brenda 4. Kelly 5. Steve

Yes I liked Kelly in S1 and 2. Dylan was my favorite in the first 2 seasons but then he went downhill after that.
Overall my top 4 fav are Brandon, Steve, Brenda and Valerie (liked Clare as well). My worst is Donna then Kelly.
I would still put Kelly third, but I thought with Brandon and Steve she is more likable.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Master Fan

I found Kelly likeable with Brandon and Steve as well
Old 07-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes Kelly is likable with Steve and Brandon. Steve still liking her. Aw.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Master Fan

^I know. Kelly just wanted Steve to be kept in the friend zone and even though Brandon had attraction for Kelly, he kept her in the friend zone (until latter end of S4). Poor Steve wanted to be with Kelly, which is why I would have not minded if Steve and Kelly ended up together in S10 finale.
It was sad because Kelly only viewed him as a friend where Steve wanted more than just being friends. In Brandon's case, Kelly actually wanted him but he turned her down. Kelly was used to getting what she wants so this was a knockdown on her part. But in S4, she saw a chance when Brandon asked her to accompany him at the Chancellor's Luncheon and it's from there where Brandon saw Kelly differently from what he seen in S1 at the Spring Dance
Old 07-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Good points.

I know this is more outside of S1. But I found that getting over the initial shock of BK dating, Steve moved on pretty quickly (probably because he had Val). After splitting with Val, whenever Steve mentioned anything about how much he loves Kelly and if she was willing to be with him again, he "would go in a second," Brandon didn't mind. Either that or Brandon didn't counter that...probably because he knew that Kelly wouldn't leave him for Steve.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:10 AM
Master Fan

Brandon knew Kelly had no interest in Steve which is why it didn't faze him when Steve said that to Brandon in Unreal World episode S5.
But Steve was enraged seeing Brandon and Kelly kissing on the dance floor in season 1 especially when Brandon initially said we are all going together as friends....obviously BK couldn't control their desires with each other but Brandon tried to be sensible and mature. A good thing about this is that Brandon did not take advantage of Kelly even though she was throwing herself at him - he could have been like the rest of the guys who just wanted Kelly for a bit of a good time. I think it was a smart move by Brandon and yes Kelly was upset but he did the right thing. Myself at that age wouldn't care and just have fun with a hot girl like Kelly. Brandon showed a lot of maturity for his age.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Brandon didn't feel comfortable in S1 and didn't want Steve to feel betrayed. I wonder if Steve was single towards the end of S4, would Brandon have been ok with being with Kelly. I still think so because S4 Kelly was much more difficult to say no to than the S1 Kelly.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:52 AM
Master Fan

Brandon didn't feel comfortable while Steve was there which is why he stopped. If Steve was single during the latter end of S4, Brandon wouldn't think about it since his view on Kelly has changed completely and yes this time round it would be very difficult to turn down Kelly in S4 since he has sincerely developed his strong feelings for her.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Guys, it seems to me this thread is not updated in PP navigation thread

Anyway, I rewatched April Is the Cruelest Month and I think it is a great episode. I admire it more nowadays than back in time. Seriously! I forgot Roger Azarian (Matthew Perry's character) ended up in psychiatric hospital, and he wanted Brandon to write about it so it might help somebody with a similar problem. It was so damn serious. No sweet mediation of the Walshes between him and his father which would result in nice reconciliation.

The guy needed a serious treatment so he got it. In a way, it seemed as a darker version of Dylan's relation with his father, and it was sort of referenced that way.

Brandon was soooo different back then from dudebro he became in S4. Much softer, sweeter, more naive. No arrogance whatsoever. He totally accepted some dismissing jokes from Roger. He was so insecure early on the show. And he was full of corny remarks, like when Roger gave him a ride and spotted Brenda in car with Dylan: "If only our friends from Minnesota could see us right now"

It is funny how competitive both twins were about each other. Brenda was more open and nervous about it, but Brandon was totally into it. He joked he forgot about SAT results, but was all into her face with "Beat that." Jim was creepy with wanting to bet on his children. Cindy was more reasonable though.

It was also sort of awkward when Brenda and Brandon read the parts from Roger's script and basically they read the roles of lovers. As if there was no weird flirty tension between them already

It is funny how Steve was the one who knew everything about everyone, not Dylan. He informed Brandon on Roger and his family. Luckily Brandon had him as an introduction into social hierarchy in Beverly Hills.

Andrea was also sweet with her quick realization that Roger's problems were way beyond her teen line competence.

I'm glad Mrs. Teasley was already Mrs. Teasley, although maybe she did not have a role of dean in this episode. I loved Brenda's passion when she confronted her about helping Donna while she was already on the task. "Give me some credit here, Brenda"

I was very entertained by Donna. When Mrs. T invites her to her office and asks about the reasons of her poor performance on tests, she answers something like "I guess I got too much into boys." Imagine sheepish Donna from following seasons saying something like that. No way.

Kelly's answer to Brenda's "Do you know him?" - "Not that I know him, I KNOW him!" is also funny. At this point, Kelly was not ashamed of her sexual experience, she was proud of it. Not just because of skills she acquired so she was deemed superior to other girls, but also because history of sleeping with popular guys was like a history of social success in WB. Kelly was reasonably disenchanted by them, but still could joke about it all and distinguish enjoyable moments from ugly stuff. I think that relation to sex was much healthier than all soul searching and self-victimization from following seasons. I liked it way better.

Brenda stands alone. Because she can.
Icon by oth. fan
Closed Thread   Post New Thread