Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceandfunny (View Post)
Really? When did they say this? How come they went went with a David/Donna wedding instead? Is it because it would be too controversial with Dylan/Brenda and Brandon/Kelly fans?
Hmm, I'm not sure. Someone posted an article awhile ago .. I can't remember who though

I found this on Wikipedia though.

Quote:
In the two-part Series Finale Ode To Joy, Dylan and Kelly reunite at David Silver and Donna Martin's wedding with a kiss. Kelly would catch the bouquet, symbolizing that they would eventually get married.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:54 AM
Master Fan

I think Katherine and Mel would know about that original plan. I do think that the words they used may be open for interpretation but I also believe it was the writers' poetic way of saying they would eventually marry.

|| Hook♥Emma || Rafael♥Jane || Ash♥Michael ||
|| Danny♥Lindsay | Dylan♥Kelly | Alex♥Izzie | Lucky♥Sam | Emett♥Bay ||
| Lucas♥Peyton | Pacey♥Joey | Clark♥Chloe | Jeff♥Ginger | Angel♥Cordy | Charlie♥Kirtsen | Neal♥Sara |

Old 12-26-2007, 05:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah I thought it might have been Mel

Ok guys I'm off to bed

Going to go watch some S3 Dy/K
Old 12-26-2007, 05:46 AM
Master Fan

Sweet Dreams Court! Watching S3 DK is a good way to ensure a good night's sleep.

|| Hook♥Emma || Rafael♥Jane || Ash♥Michael ||
|| Danny♥Lindsay | Dylan♥Kelly | Alex♥Izzie | Lucky♥Sam | Emett♥Bay ||
| Lucas♥Peyton | Pacey♥Joey | Clark♥Chloe | Jeff♥Ginger | Angel♥Cordy | Charlie♥Kirtsen | Neal♥Sara |

Old 12-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Master Fan

Happy Holidays, Soulmates!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Master Fan

hello hope everyone had a good holiday. love all the caps and the icons were fabulous.
i think dy/k eventually got married, have a couple kids and became the new jim and cindy to a new generation (only maybe not quite as tame as jim and cindy)
Old 12-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Master Fan

The show ended, so unless there is a reunion movie that says otherwise (which i doubt will happen) what else really could have happened? I'm a sucker for following everything the writer says, because I figure they are the maker of the show, so what they say should go. They come up with the storylines. They had Dylan and Kelly end up together, and no one can argue that Kelly catching the bouquet symbolized that Dylan and Kelly ended up together forever, because that was the writer's. I don't see how you can argue against what the maker's of show decided. I know people have fantasys about their favorite characters ending up together, which is fine, but in reality Dylan and Kelly ended up together. You never saw past that, because that's when the show stopped, and the symbolism the writer's used was picked for a reason. They wanted the audience to know they would be together forever. I know I'm rambling a bit. Sorry. In my own head, I just see that unless there's a movie or something saying otherwise Dylan and Kelly would still be together to this day, because of what the writer's choice. To bad I can't write persuasive essay in school on a topic like this, I would have a lot of fun with that. Instead I'm forced to write papers on things I don't really care about. hahaha

Anyway, I started watching the 90210 3rd season dvd since I got yesterday! Leave it to me to watch the most depressing episode first. "This Child is the Father to the Man" hahaha, but I loved the commentary they had on the last episode. I find it really funny that they would call Jennie "the blonde"
Luke: Can't I start doing more work with "the blonde"
hehe I'm so happy that they didn't put Dylan and Brenda back together like they orginally planned. DK is the bestest!
Old 12-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellylovesDylan (View Post)
The show ended, so unless there is a reunion movie that says otherwise (which i doubt will happen) what else really could have happened? I'm a sucker for following everything the writer says, because I figure they are the maker of the show, so what they say should go. They come up with the storylines. They had Dylan and Kelly end up together, and no one can argue that Kelly catching the bouquet symbolized that Dylan and Kelly ended up together forever, because that was the writer's. I don't see how you can argue against what the maker's of show decided. I know people have fantasys about their favorite characters ending up together, which is fine, but in reality Dylan and Kelly ended up together. You never saw past that, because that's when the show stopped, and the symbolism the writer's used was picked for a reason. They wanted the audience to know they would be together forever.
Just b/c Kelly caught the bouquet doesn't mean she and Dylan "ended up" together. Dy/K fans want to assume that's what happened, but that's not a definitive indication. The bouquet symbolizes good luck for marriage prospects (and since Kelly had a non-wedding and broken engagement she certainly needed it), but it doesn't necessarily mean she is going to marry the guy she is currently dating. Out of all the women who catch bouquets at weddings, how many actually end up marrying the guy they were dating at the time??? VERY FEW. So it doesn't mean she will marry Dylan. She could "end up " with anyone (for the purposes of 90210 it's either Dylan or Brandon). So the final "ending" (not shown) could be Dy/K or Bn/K.....the debate continues. All you can say for sure is that Dylan and Kelly restarted their relationship, not that they "ended up" together.

Jennie Garth herself predicts that Kelly "ended up" with Brandon. So if the finale had Dylan and Kelly "ending up" together like you want to believe, why wouldn't Jennie say that Kelly and Dylan are happily married, with kids, a mansion, etc.??? Obviously, it's because the ultimate outcome of the Dylan/Kelly relationship was meant to be vague. The writers wanted to leave it up to the viewers imagination as to whether their relationship lasted or whether they broke up. If the writers wanted to give a definitive indication that Dylan and Kelly would "end up" together, they would have included a dialogue between them where they would discuss getting married in the near future. But they didn't do this. That's b/c they knew it's a controversial issue. The majority of 90210 viewers, like someone else mentioned earlier, are Dylan/Brenda and Brandon/Kelly supporters, so the writers didn't want to alienate them.

Another reason why there was no Dylan/Kelly wedding is b/c Luke Perry himself was opposed to it. Luke said in an interview with Soap Opera Magazine in 1998 when he returned to the show that he didn't want the Dylan character to ever get married again. He didn't say exactly why, but my guess is he thought it would be inconsistent with his character especially given the Antonia situation. He also said he didn't want Dylan to say "I love you" ever again, and if you notice Dylan never said it directly the last 2 seasons. So I'm sure the writers also take into account what the actors want when they write the script.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Master Fan

I know what the boquet represents, but that isn't the point. The point is the writer's used a lot of symbolism to show that Dylan and Kelly would end up together. That's what the writers were pointing at. Dylan saying "I like the flowers" (the ones she caught) was showing he was opened to marriage, that was the symbolism. The writers threw in tons and tons of symbolism to get their point across that they wanted the audience to know that these two ended up together forever.

Jennie preferred BK over DK, because she felt he was better for Kelly, because Dylan was more wild. However she did say she imagined Kelly and Brandon laying on beach together, but Dylan was back in the bushes. Kind of love Kelly was having an affair with him, or he was still very very much on her mind. Thats her own personal preference. That really had nothing to do with the last episode and what the writers wanted. I read articles written on the last episode, and all the writers of these articles talked about how Dylan and Kelly ened up together forever, and they talked about the symbolism to show this. The writers wanted it to be a solid ending. The fact is they all thought the show was going to come back for an 11th season, and when it didn't they had to rush everything back together. They had no time to have Kelly and Dylan actually get married for obvious reasons, and they were just getting back together. That early of getting back together, talking about marriage at that time is far to intense for a last scene, and that early in a relationship. So the writers showed it in a very beautiful way of what was going to happen. Everyone has their imagination, with any show ending you could say nothing is written in stone. A Val/David fan could imagine David and Donna getting divorced and David finding his way back to Val, so if it's going to work that way you can completely rewrite the whole show. Nothing really is written in stone, it's about being realistic. The reality is David and Donna probably made it together, Kelly and Dylan most likely would be married, because of what the writers wanted the audience to think through their symbolism.

It doesn't matter what the actors want. Shannon didn't want Brenda and Dylan to break up, and yet they did. Just because the actors don't want something to happen doesn't mean thats what will happen. Luke wanted Dylan to ride off into the sunset the last episode, and did that happen? No, he ended up with kelly. That doesn't prove a thing. Thats just a personal preference, what matters is what the writers do, and the producers do, and the final product of the show. The final thing that happens, because that is what is shown, that is what becomes the reality of the show. That is what happens in the characters live. Ian Ziering could say at this moment "I think Steve was gay, so I envison him laying on beach with David Silver" that doesn't make Steve gay. That doesn't make Janet and Steve now divorced, because thats what the actor wanted. I know thats an extreame example, but my point is the actor has their preference, but it doesn't change what goes on in the show. Yes, the writers take into account what the actors want, but in this case they didn't do what Luke and Jennie preferred. Luke liked dramatic endings; however, he didn't get one. And Jennie didn't oppose the DK relationship obviously, she preferred BK, but that didn't happen. So much symbolism was used to so what would happen afterwards, because the writers wanted it to be somewhat solid. Everyone has their own imagination, but realistically the thing that most likely happened was Dylan and Kelly would be together, because that's the last thing you ever see, and those last scene there was great symbolism for a reason.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
The point is the writer's used a lot of symbolism to show that Dylan and Kelly would end up together. That's what the writers were pointing at. Dylan saying "I like the flowers" (the ones she caught) was showing he was opened to marriage, that was the symbolism. The writers threw in tons and tons of symbolism to get their point across that they wanted the audience to know that these two ended up together forever.

I read articles written on the last episode, and all the writers of these articles talked about how Dylan and Kelly ened up together forever, and they talked about the symbolism to show this. The writers wanted it to be a solid ending.

Yes, there may have been symbolism involved, but things were also very vague. If the writers wanted to give a "solid ending" then why be so vague??? Symbolism is important, but if the writers wanted to convey the message that Dy/K end up together forever, there was no need for them to be vague. Another symbolism is Brandon's videotape, where he gives Kelly his love and Kelly remarks on how cute he still is with a grin on her face. Obviously, they were trying to tease us that there is still something there between the two of them and that they could "end up" together after all. If the writers wanted to emphasize Dy/K being together forever like you claim, then what was even the purpose of that videotape and Kelly's remark???

I'd like to see the references for the articles you read. Did the actual writers of the show say in the articles that Kelly and Dylan end up together forever??? I doubt that it was the actual writers, but if so I'd like to see the references.

Also, it wouldn't make sense for the writers to want to give a "solid ending" to the Dy/K relationship b/c like I said earlier, the majority of 90210 viewers don't like their relationship. So why would the writers want to antagonize the fans like that?

Last edited by bigtimefan; 12-26-2007 at 04:40 PM
Old 12-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Master Fan

Brandon's tape wasn't symbolic in the sense that Dylan and Kelly's ending was. He was just wishing everyone the best because he couldn't be there. Kelly says he's cute because she once had something with him. That's all. The writers were kind of showing there wasn't anything weird between them, it was almost as if they were giving them a solid finish, because they did leave on a weird note. So now she's at the point where she's comfortable enough to say "wow he's still cute " or something like that. It was almost a nice gift to the BK fans I suppose. I never really enough thought about that, I don't think the writers were trying to prove anything with it, because no one ever made a big deal like they did with Dylan and Kelly's symbolism.The flowers are symbolism, Dylan's words are symbolism, and Kelly's words back are symbolism, because it was the tool the writers were using. They were being vauge, because part it is it's the beginning of a new relationship. They come right out and say "oh we're going to get married" the characters would look crazy, because at that point they didn't even know if it would work. The writer's wanted to show us that it was going to work. Thats why Kelly caught the flowers, that was the point. If they didnt want to make a point of it they could have had Valerie catch them, because she was talking about how that guy she was with was probably the one.

I mean magazines, you know how they do articles on the show. My sister use to clip them from magazines. People magazine, different magazines would say "oh and the show ended with kelly catching the bouquet symbolising that Dylan and Kelly would be together forever" A lot of magazine, people is the one that sticks out in my mind the most, because my mother always buys it, but a lot of magazines were saying things like that.

I don't know if the majority of the fans don't like their relationship. Dylan and Kelly have a huge fan base. I don't know where you're getting that from, half the people I talk to like Dylan and Kelly. It's really hard to say or prove that the majority of people don't like a couple. I mean unless every 90210 fan goes out and takes the same poll, I don't know how one proves that. And the fact is they would want to give them a solid ending, because it's the end of the show and the characters need a solid ending. It's time to wrap the show up, and it's time to wrap the character's lives comfortabley, and thats what they did. It's like I said before realistically Dylan and kelly, the last time you see them together they have tons of symbolism, they are together, and happy after a two year chase. It's honestly the only ending that makes sense. Dylan left Brenda in London, that didn't work out. Brandon Kelly obviously didn't work out at their wedding. They were to much like brother in sister (weird...yes...but still it's what happened) Dylan came back for Kelly, he was miserable for two years. He's going through a depression. Kelly turns his life around, saves him, they finally get back together, and the last shot of Dylan's sincerly happy again. The writers didn't do all of this on accident.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Brandon's tape wasn't symbolic in the sense that Dylan and Kelly's ending was. He was just wishing everyone the best because he couldn't be there. Kelly says he's cute because she once had something with him. That's all. The writers were kind of showing there wasn't anything weird between them, it was almost as if they were giving them a solid finish, because they did leave on a weird note. So now she's at the point where she's comfortable enough to say "wow he's still cute " or something like that. It was almost a nice gift to the BK fans I suppose. I never really enough thought about that, I don't think the writers were trying to prove anything with it, because no one ever made a big deal like they did with Dylan and Kelly's symbolism.The flowers are symbolism, Dylan's words are symbolism, and Kelly's words back are symbolism, because it was the tool the writers were using. They were being vauge, because part it is it's the beginning of a new relationship. They come right out and say "oh we're going to get married" the characters would look crazy, because at that point they didn't even know if it would work. The writer's wanted to show us that it was going to work. Thats why Kelly caught the flowers, that was the point. If they didnt want to make a point of it they could have had Valerie catch them, because she was talking about how that guy she was with was probably the one.

People magazine, different magazines would say "oh and the show ended with kelly catching the bouquet symbolising that Dylan and Kelly would be together forever"

I don't know if the majority of the fans don't like their relationship. Dylan and Kelly have a huge fan base. I don't know where you're getting that from, half the people I talk to like Dylan and Kelly. It's really hard to say or prove that the majority of people don't like a couple. I mean unless every 90210 fan goes out and takes the same poll, I don't know how one proves that.
Well everyone in the Bn/K forum makes a big deal about Brandon's videotape so obviously it depends on one's perspective. I understand what you are saying about the symbolism. They wanted to tie things in nicely for Dylan/Kelly without going overboard. But the vagueness suggests to me that they also wanted to leave the final outcome open to interpretation and to the viewers imagination, to avoid antagonizing fans. The only option they had was to show Dylan and Kelly together at the end b/c Brandon and Brenda were no longer part of the show. But regardless of which couple you like, you have to admit it's a VERY controversial topic, and it would be in the producers best interest to not be too definitive about it.

I've also read different articles that discuss the vagueness of the ending and how there are many questions left unanswered, especially regarding the Dylan/Kelly situation. So, it depends on who's writing the article, and it goes back to what I was saying about how the final outcome is open to intepretation and not definitive with regards to Dylan/Kelly. Different writers have different opinions regarding the Dylan/Kelly relationship and how to interpret the ending.

Well if you go to different websites where they are discussing different couples simultaniously, the vast majority of people in each of those sites dislike Dylan/Kelly. Most of them are Dylan/Brenda and Brandon/Kelly supporters. Many of those sites also have polls about favorite couples, and Dylan/Kelly always rank much furthur behind than the other two couples. From my estimation, it seems 70-80% of people prefer Dylan/Brenda and Brandon/Kelly. I know these polls may not be completely accurate, but since almost every site seems to favor Dylan/Brenda and Brandon/Kelly, they most likely are the more popular couples. I've also read magazine articles that say Dylan/Brenda was the most popular 90210 couple by far and that most viewers were dissapointed with the series finale because there was no Shannen and no Dylan/Brenda reunion. Luke Perry also said that he would like there to be 'closure' on the Dylan/Brenda relationship b/c most fans want to see them together. But that never came about since Shannen didn't return. What helps make Brandon/Kelly more popular than Dylan/Kelly, is that most Dylan/Brenda fans also support Brandon/Kelly for obvious reasons (and vice versa). That's why I said that the majority of 90210 fans don't like the Dylan/Kelly relationship. That doesn't mean no one likes them. There is a significant minority of people who do like them and obviously there's a strong fan base as well.

Last edited by bigtimefan; 12-26-2007 at 05:34 PM
Old 12-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Master Fan

I certianly agree its a controversial subject, because there were so many different pairings. At the same time I do think the writer's did tie it in nicely, they did have an ending together. There's no getting by that, Dylan and Kelly did end up together in the end. It's the last thing you see. I go by all the symbolism that was used, and I go by what the most realistic ending was. Brenda and Brandon had their finish with Dylan and Kelly already. Its the only ending that makes sense.

I really can't get into populairty wise. I don't know enough about it to state any facts, so it would be pointless for me to go into it. I don't want to talk about something I don't know about, because I'll wind up looking like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, because the fact is I don't know enough on that subject. It never mattered to me who was more popular than the other one, because I just like what I like and focus on that I suppose hahahaha. Maybe someone else on here knows more about that to be able to discuss this portion of it hahahaha.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Everyone has their imagination, with any show ending you could say nothing is written in stone. A Val/David fan could imagine David and Donna getting divorced and David finding his way back to Val, so if it's going to work that way you can completely rewrite the whole show. Nothing really is written in stone, it's about being realistic. The reality is David and Donna probably made it together, Kelly and Dylan most likely would be married, because of what the writers wanted the audience to think through their symbolism.

Yes, it's true that you could imagine any ending that you want. But realistically it wouldn't make sense for a David/Donna divorce and David/Val reunion, considering Donna is the only girl David ever really loved and the fact that Val moved on with another guy. Also keep in mind that there was a good closure to the David/Val relationship. Same with Steve/Janet, they were happily married with a kid. But with Dylan/Kelly, even though the symbolism may suggest what you say, they have just begun their relationship again. It's VERY realistic that they could break up soon afterwards, and she could reunite with Brandon. Especially when you consider that Kelly has had two great loves (Dylan and Brandon), and the fact that there was no real closure to the Bn/K relationship b/c they still loved each other. The "passion" that was missing could easily be explained by Brandon's affair since it can take many many months (or even years) for a relationship to recover from infidelity....and here Brandon and Kelly were trying to get married just 3 months later. So of course there were going to be doubts and uncertainty. Obviously it was a very contrived storyline so that Jason Priestley could leave the show. Add to this the fact that Dylan never explained how or why he and Brenda broke up. This of course, makes it VERY realistic for a possible Dylan/Brenda reunion as well. It could be explained as some kind of big misunderstanding.

I realize that this wasn't explained on screen and the last thing we saw, as you said, was a Dylan/Kelly kiss suggesting that they got back together. But the explainations I gave above is what makes the whole Bn/K, Dy/Br, and Dy/K so controversial. Since no Dy/K wedding was shown and the fact that they had just gotten back together makes it VERY easy and realistic to predict a breakup. Whereas predicting a breakup in David/Donna or Steve/Janet would be a lot more complicated.

Last edited by bigtimefan; 12-26-2007 at 06:21 PM
Old 12-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I know I'm not a Mod Here but I Feel This is Somthing That Could Turn Ugly.

Bigtimefan and Niceandfunny

You Both Need To Remember this is the Dylan/Kelly App. Thread.

It's not Appropriate to Argue About Whether DK Had A Happy Ending.

It's like going on the Ross/Rachel App. Thread and Arguing whether they got the Happy Ending or Pacey/Joey App.

Those are other Examples that both had Vague like endings. Neither Couple were Married Either but Everybody is Supposed to Assume they got the Happy Ending As Well. That is all I'm going to say about My Opinion on the Subject.

I understand there are Multishippers but on this thread keep this in mind that it isn't the place to argue about this. It's fine to debate but not on this subject.

I think it is best that we move on.

I love all the caps that have been posted. Senior Poll is My Favorite Episode for DK.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Last edited by Jaime Bee; 12-26-2007 at 06:47 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread