Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2021, 01:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I honestly think it's because they had certain characters constantly on about how andrea has feelings for brandon, like kelly in slumber party or steve in a lot of episodes. whereas they don't spend as much time on brandon's feelings, because he never talks to anyone but andrea about it (except for brenda but that was one time and only about sleeping together, not all of the kisses - and there were a lot)
True. I think the show also put more emphasis on her feelings because she's a girl, therefore supposed to be more vulnerable and sensitive etc. And more transparent with her emotions. I guess the TV shows tended to focus on emotions of women and actions of men. Andrea was also not exactly able to hide her feelings. Sometimes you could really see the hurt and jealousy. Whilst Brandon tended to hide his feelings even from himself, I would say, God forbid the other characters. He was emotionally the most stunted male on the show. Really did not wear his heart on his sleeve.

Quote:
it's clear throughout the series that brandon has strong and deep feelings for andrea, evident in how scared he is to make that move because he doesn't want to lose her. whereas andrea can be honest with herself about her feelings and does talk to some people about it, but she also doesn't take the risk the few times they get close to deciding anything (like when she calls it off in 2.01)
Very true. And then I guess that lack of reciprocity in talking about their feelings was also one of the factors that blocked her in getting together with him whenever she had a chance.

It also occurred to me that whenever he approached her she might have been punishing him for not being more open and determined for the rest of the time. While she was actually angry at herself for being scared to pursue the whole thing openly. And then it was a vicious circle.

Brenda stands alone. Because she can.
Icon by oth. fan

Last edited by yulan; 06-06-2021 at 03:11 AM
Old 06-08-2021, 08:47 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulan (View Post)
True. I think the show also put more emphasis on her feelings because she's a girl, therefore supposed to be more vulnerable and sensitive etc. And more transparent with her emotions. I guess the TV shows tended to focus on emotions of women and actions of men. Andrea was also not exactly able to hide her feelings. Sometimes you could really see the hurt and jealousy.
That's a really good point, that it was outdated how they presented them. There's even a trope for it called 'men act, women are'. Ugh.

Quote:
He was emotionally the most stunted male on the show. Really did not wear his heart on his sleeve.
This. He was very kind-hearted, yet so closed off. Strange oxymoron. The only time he opens up about it just a little is when he tells Emily he's never said 'i love you' to anyone he's dated. But even after that he's not very open. The most emotional we see Brandon is always with Andrea, or the one time with his cousin, Bobby, when he talks about his feelings about the skiing accident. That's why I always liked Brandrea, because she was the one he could be most himself with (even if he shut it off). That's probably why he gets so upset around her and they fight so much, because she can see through him and it scares him.

Quote:
Very true. And then I guess that lack of reciprocity in talking about their feelings was also one of the factors that blocked her in getting together with him whenever she had a chance.

It also occurred to me that whenever he approached her she might have been punishing him for not being more open and determined for the rest of the time. While she was actually angry at herself for being scared to pursue the whole thing openly. And then it was a vicious circle.
Not sure she would punish him conscisouly, but subconsciously it's very possible, that's a good point. Yup, just a series of missed opportunities and lack of communication. Come on guys! We were rooting for you for 3 seasons! At least have a conversation lol
Old 06-08-2021, 06:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
This. He was very kind-hearted, yet so closed off. Strange oxymoron. The only time he opens up about it just a little is when he tells Emily he's never said 'i love you' to anyone he's dated. But even after that he's not very open. The most emotional we see Brandon is always with Andrea, or the one time with his cousin, Bobby, when he talks about his feelings about the skiing accident. That's why I always liked Brandrea, because she was the one he could be most himself with (even if he shut it off). That's probably why he gets so upset around her and they fight so much, because she can see through him and it scares him.
Yesssss I agree with this so much!
Not only do I think she brings out his emotional side but also his nerdy/intellectual side? Like in front of every other cast member he's all about the sports and parties but with Andrea we see him get investing in writing really deep pieces, involving himself with social issues, and movies, etc. I like to think of him like a giant nerd who refuses to believe he's a nerd lol

Quote:

Quote:
Not sure she would punish him conscisouly, but subconsciously it's very possible, that's a good point. Yup, just a series of missed opportunities and lack of communication. Come on guys! We were rooting for you for 3 seasons! At least have a conversation lol
Ahhh that's so frustrating. But also very realistic for teenagers, who are very flawed and insecure until they mature. I wish the show gave them the chance to grow out of it and approach each other for a relationship. But I understand that IRL things might have gotten in the way.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
That's a really good point, that it was outdated how they presented them. There's even a trope for it called 'men act, women are'. Ugh.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Quote:
Not only do I think she brings out his emotional side but also his nerdy/intellectual side? Like in front of every other cast member he's all about the sports and parties but with Andrea we see him get investing in writing really deep pieces, involving himself with social issues, and movies, etc. I like to think of him like a giant nerd who refuses to believe he's a nerd lol
I guess the others saw him as someone who had a strong intellectual and of course political side. But they still thought it was cool, unlike with Andrea. Maybe because he was sporty and more social... and a man The others never really challenged his intellectual authority, so to speak. But Andrea did. She was an absolute intellectual authority. Although he admired that, I do not think he wanted a girlfriend who was so much stronger. I think that was more of his problem with her than that she might have been channeling his inner nerd.

(I also do not see Brandon as really kind-hearted, but I will not delve into it this time around )

Quote:
Not sure she would punish him conscisouly, but subconsciously it's very possible, that's a good point. Yup, just a series of missed opportunities and lack of communication.
Well, in Too Little, Too Late (S3) she did point out what his behaviour seemed like to her, when she rejected him again (and said a fantastic line "What makes you think you're so damn irresistible?"), and she was quite angry about it. So it might have been even conscious. I guess it was more of her fear and insecurity (at least in S1-2) and then subconsciously punishing herself even more than Brandon for being a coward to pursue what she wanted, by giving up on what she wanted (him) and rejecting him (which might have been a pleasure per se ). IDK.

Quote:
Come on guys! We were rooting for you for 3 seasons! At least have a conversation lol
It's silly that two people who were professionally interested in verbal expression, which brought them together at the first place (writing, journalism and political activism) were so unable to talk about the elephant in the room and what was going on between the two of them. It's funny when you think about the dynamic those few times when they tried. Andrea shut it down at the beginning of S2 when he tried to talk about it, and then Brandon at the end of S3 when she tried. Eh.

Icon by oth. fan

Last edited by yulan; 06-09-2021 at 01:52 AM
Old 06-11-2021, 08:34 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Maybe because he was sporty and more social... and a man
Yeah I'm still annoyed how there were so many times Andrea warned them about something and they never gave her credit where it was due (the drugs, the mall). They only gave credit to Brandon after he changed his mind.

Quote:
It's silly that two people who were professionally interested in verbal expression, which brought them together at the first place (writing, journalism and political activism) were so unable to talk about the elephant in the room and what was going on between the two of them. It's funny when you think about the dynamic those few times when they tried. Andrea shut it down at the beginning of S2 when he tried to talk about it, and then Brandon at the end of S3 when she tried. Eh.
That's what I call, inconsistent writing. I know the writers wanted to keep them apart intentionally just for the drama of it all, but they should have had the build up of their relationship go somewhere instead of never allowing it.

Speaking of Brandon's emotional vulnerability around Andrea - I wrote a fanfic!

This takes place in season 2 after the Felix episode. I tried to make it as IC and sticking to cannon as possible but with Brandon it's hard to know how much is too much lol

Quote:
"Brandon, I'm so sorry."

Andrea stood at the doorway as Brandon slouched over in the corner of his bedroom. He was carrying the baseball glove he used to play with Felix earlier in the week.

"I'm such an idiot. I knew I shouldn't have said anything." He didn't turn to face her, his eyes glued to his window facing the outside world. Brandon called her earlier to tell her about Felix's mom sending him to the foster home while she got help, a result of him confronting her about the drunk beatings. He sounded guilty over the phone. Andrea felt so terrible she got on the first bus ride to his house, "I was afraid of him ending up in the foster home and that's exactly what happened."
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1389980...-Screen-Kisses
Old 06-12-2021, 12:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah I'm still annoyed how there were so many times Andrea warned them about something and they never gave her credit where it was due (the drugs, the mall). They only gave credit to Brandon after he changed his mind.
Yup, we talked about that before. When Andrea does that, she's boring and overdramatic and self-entitled. When Brandon does, it's cool. And he gets to be a hero of the day, while she is at best his sidekick. Come on. She was so much better and more informed activist and journalist.

Quote:
That's what I call, inconsistent writing. I know the writers wanted to keep them apart intentionally just for the drama of it all, but they should have had the build up of their relationship go somewhere instead of never allowing it.
It was mainly an inconsistent writing, I guess, but it was also typical for the two intellectuals and activists somehow Being able to talk about everything except what was going on between them. Especially when there is some competition going on between them at the same time. Both Andrea and Brandon were sort of clumsy. Ambitious and competitive as well.

Quote:
This takes place in season 2 after the Felix episode. I tried to make it as IC and sticking to cannon as possible but with Brandon it's hard to know how much is too much lol
Cool, congrats I usually do not read fanfic, but I will try when I get time.

Gabby/Jason in a mature age:

Icon by oth. fan

Last edited by yulan; 06-13-2021 at 01:07 AM
Old 06-12-2021, 07:11 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Yup, we talked about that before. When Andrea does that, she's boring and overdramatic and self-entitled. When Brandon does, it's cool. And he gets to be a hero of the day, while she is at best his sidekick. Come on. She was so much better and more informed activist and journalist.
I think it's fine for them to underestimate her at first if the show actually showed people realize they were wrong and acknowledging it and apologize to her afterwards. But the fact that they never addressed the double standard just means they were perpetrating it lol

Quote:
Cool, congrats I usually do not read fanfic, but I will try when I get time.
thank you !

Quote:
It was mainly an inconsistent writing, I guess, but it was also typical for the two intellectuals and activists somehow Being able to talk about everything except what was going on between them. Especially when there is some competition going on between them at the same time. Both Andrea and Brandon were sort of clumsy. Ambitious and competitive as well.
Lol I knowww these kids are so stubborn.
I wanted to see them grow and overcome their issues on screen

But I'm still grateful that Brandon ended the show single and Andrea divorced. I can just have my headcannons that since they are lifelong good friends they are able to get together when they are older and more mature (like that couple they met on the camping episode).

Speaking of older Brandrea pics, Brandrea with their grandchild !
(I actually didn't watch this show so I don't know the real context of this screen hahaha)

Source

Last edited by Blazer12; 06-12-2021 at 10:33 PM
Old 06-13-2021, 01:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I think it's fine for them to underestimate her at first if the show actually showed people realize they were wrong and acknowledging it and apologize to her afterwards. But the fact that they never addressed the double standard just means they were perpetrating it lol
Well of course, they never showed any ambition to change that. When they were making Andrea "less stereotypical", more mundane so to speak, and got her closer to the gang, especially the girls, it was through change of her outfit, when they notice how pretty she is, and when she needed some help in her private life, about the boys or making her room look more girly and such things. That's it. Bonding with Brenda over helping a date rape victim in Gentle Art of Listening could be the only exception.

I mean, Steve said once that she was an inspiration to all of them, so it might mean they were sort of aware that a lot of initiatives did come from her, not from Brandon.

Quote:
Lol I knowww these kids are so stubborn.
Stubborn and clumsy, I would say

Quote:
But I'm still grateful that Brandon ended the show single and Andrea divorced. I can just have my headcannons that since they are lifelong good friends they are able to get together when they are older and more mature (like that couple they met on the camping episode).
Right. A nice parallel. It could have been a nice premonition.

Quote:
Speaking of older Brandrea pics, Brandrea with their grandchild !
(I actually didn't watch this show so I don't know the real context of this screen hahaha)
Reboot is quite enjoyable. Gabby and Jason are good friends in it.

Icon by oth. fan
Old 06-21-2021, 05:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
When they were making Andrea "less stereotypical", more mundane so to speak, and got her closer to the gang, especially the girls, it was through change of her outfit, when they notice how pretty she is, and when she needed some help in her private life, about the boys or making her room look more girly and such things. That's it. Bonding with Brenda over helping a date rape victim in Gentle Art of Listening could be the only exception.
Yeah that always annoyed me, the trope that a girl has to change herself for society to accept her. I let it slide in this show just because it's Andrea stepping out of her comfort zone and showing how she's being open to trying knew things and that's a type of growth from her being stubborn and stuck in her ways. But I still hate that it fits that trope so closely.

But that's also why I was glad they let her keep her glasses on for the Spring Dance. It would have been easy for them to give her a total makeover and come out Taylor Swift style but they showed her coming to the dance in a typical dress but also letting her keep her glasses on because she's not totally changing who she is, just expanding it a bit. Like she told Brandon, she was trying to have fun and branch out.

I also wrote another drabble/chapter to my fic if anyone's interested!

Quote:
“Wow, where are you going?” Brandon walked over to the fruit bowl only to find it empty.
“Dylan’s taking me to a college party.” Brenda smirked, closing the fridge.
Brandon sighed, “Sounds like fun.”
“How’s your study date going.” Brenda raised her eyebrows suggestively.
“Would you stop?” Brandon reached down to open the drawer underneath the counter, revealing several bags of chips, “Andrea is driving me crazy studying for these two tests we have next week. And she’s insisting we increase our editorial count.”
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1389980...-Screen-Kisses
Old 06-22-2021, 12:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah that always annoyed me, the trope that a girl has to change herself for society to accept her. I let it slide in this show just because it's Andrea stepping out of her comfort zone and showing how she's being open to trying knew things and that's a type of growth from her being stubborn and stuck in her ways. But I still hate that it fits that trope so closely.
She has to change, mainly I terms of her looks. Because they are the most important :eyeroll: But you're right, it was tolerable because of Andrea's stubbornness.

Quote:
But that's also why I was glad they let her keep her glasses on for the Spring Dance. It would have been easy for them to give her a total makeover and come out Taylor Swift style but they showed her coming to the dance in a typical dress but also letting her keep her glasses on because she's not totally changing who she is, just expanding it a bit. Like she told Brandon, she was trying to have fun and branch out.
Yeah. But the first time she had a makeover, in Perfect Mom, the main "touch" was that she took off her glasses, and everyone was like, is she a different person? I think Jim even said something on that note. It's really annoying, because glasses do not change looks THAT much

It's especially annoying because Gabby might have been the prettiest of the girls in S1.

Quote:
I also wrote another drabble/chapter to my fic if anyone's interested!
Sounds cool.

Icon by oth. fan
Old 06-25-2021, 07:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

^ Ugh I'm still annoyed they made us wait three seasons and couldn't even let Brandon be her first time Prom night could have been a perfect conclusion and mirror to season 1's finale.

Oh well, I'm still grateful I can have my headcannons now that they are both single by the last episode.

I think it's so cute that he brought her breakfast, and I think the next time he does this he does remember to bring bagels instead?

cute moment from IG, John and Brandon mocking each other in front of Andrea when she asks for an assignment

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQfROITj...dium=copy_link
Old 06-27-2021, 05:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
^ Ugh I'm still annoyed they made us wait three seasons and couldn't even let Brandon be her first time Prom night could have been a perfect conclusion and mirror to season 1's finale.
It would be a nice mirroring. I am also fine with them not going that way, and putting an end to it, but then I think they should not have teased at the prom. It felt boring and repetitive.

Quote:
cute moment from IG, John and Brandon mocking each other in front of Andrea when she asks for an assignment
I remember that Andrea was supposed to go on a date with John. I am sorry it was never mentioned how it went. Brandon could have used some more competition before Jay.

Icon by oth. fan

Last edited by yulan; 06-27-2021 at 10:18 AM
Old 06-29-2021, 06:56 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
It would be a nice mirroring. I am also fine with them not going that way, and putting an end to it, but then I think they should not have teased at the prom. It felt boring and repetitive.
I would have rather them never let them kiss or have Brandon show jealousy if they were never gonna do it and say it was always one-sided. It feels like gas-lighting the audience.

Quote:
I remember that Andrea was supposed to go on a date with John. I am sorry it was never mentioned how it went. Brandon could have used some more competition before Jay.
I would have loved just a few more scenes with John. I like how with John, Brandon was annoyed because it wasn't quite stated that John liked Andrea or dated her, he was just hovering around her and it annoyed Brandon for some reason he just couldn't identify. And then with Jay they are full out dating so Brandon did finally confront his jealousy.

I think it would have been great if Brandon didn't know they went on a date, but we saw scenes of John talking to Andrea a lot in the hallway in the background of the episode. And then Brandon is with Brenda and Dylan and is like "God that John kid is so annoying he's such a kiss ass!" or something.

And then Brenda laughs because she thinks he's jealous and he asks her what's so funny and she's like "nothing!". and it's just a joke amongst her and Dylan for a few episodes while Brandon huffs off.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I would have rather them never let them kiss or have Brandon show jealousy if they were never gonna do it and say it was always one-sided. It feels like gas-lighting the audience.
Well, S3 was one giant continuity error. In many aspects. For Andrea-Brandon as well.

Quote:
I would have loved just a few more scenes with John. I like how with John, Brandon was annoyed because it wasn't quite stated that John liked Andrea or dated her, he was just hovering around her and it annoyed Brandon for some reason he just couldn't identify. And then with Jay they are full out dating so Brandon did finally confront his jealousy.
Yeah. They could have just sped it up by mixing John and Jay into the same character, for example. I mean, John did invite Andrea for a date at the end of Everybody's Talkin' about It?

Quote:
I think it would have been great if Brandon didn't know they went on a date, but we saw scenes of John talking to Andrea a lot in the hallway in the background of the episode. And then Brandon is with Brenda and Dylan and is like "God that John kid is so annoying he's such a kiss ass!" or something.

And then Brenda laughs because she thinks he's jealous and he asks her what's so funny and she's like "nothing!". and it's just a joke amongst her and Dylan for a few episodes while Brandon huffs off.
Sounds cool. And Everybody's Talkin' about It was also an episode when Andrea and Brandon seemed embarrassed and uncomfortable by Brenda/Dylan PDA - because these two were shameless, but also I guess because of their own inability to act upon their feelings

It's interesting that Dylan never hinted anything to Brandon about Andrea, and Brandon never really confided in him about her. Steve was more involved.

Icon by oth. fan
Old 06-30-2021, 07:13 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Sounds cool. And Everybody's Talkin' about It was also an episode when Andrea and Brandon seemed embarrassed and uncomfortable by Brenda/Dylan PDA - because these two were shameless, but also I guess because of their own inability to act upon their feelings

It's interesting that Dylan never hinted anything to Brandon about Andrea, and Brandon never really confided in him about her. Steve was more involved.
I remember Dylan makes a face at them when they are arguing at the Camping Trip episode. It's hard to tell if his face is at them or Brandon's ranting lol

Steve and Brenda were the most involved amongst the friends. I think Kelly and Donna had like two moments and that was about it.

Even Cindy and Jim had more moments where they looked like they were shipping them lol. Like early season 1 and the Christmas episode where they say they knew Brandon would be jealous.

I would have liked some more commentary from the gang than what we got too. Like if they made bets that Brandon would get jealous when Andrea started dating Jay or something lol

cute pic of them smiling at each other!

Closed Thread   Post New Thread