Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Elite Fan

Okay, thoughts about the episode....

It's back and I've missed it so much! But honestly, it's not one of my fave episodes this season, it's pretty good, just not one of the best.

The whole teeth falling out and in the sink, and the maggots in the burger, gross! And to make it worse, I was eating a burger at the same time, with the same type of silver foil wrapping I just had to put my burger down first But I love that SPN is back with the gore!

When I heard Book of Shadows and there were 3 of them, I kinda had a Charmed fashback too

Ruby, I kinda like the character more, it's nice that they sort of gave us an insight into her character. I don't like that she lied about being able to save Dean, but I do feel for her that she will always know how it is to be human, and that's good. I like that scene in the end with her and Dean, insightful

The brother moments First, how hot are the boys in suits and in the rain? YUM! Second, the scene at the motel room, Sam telling Dean he has to be more like him in order to survive, and Dean finally gaining an insight into that particular thought I couldn't even look at Dean, spewing blood, poor him. But I was like, Sam, don't leave, hold him a bit I admit, I'm addicted to brother touchage moments But I do know that Sam needed to so something fast to stop it anyway.

av
Mei Zhuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The episode was interesting. It was really good for my taste. Nope, not because we saw Ruby and her story, but it wasn't like the Bela show at all. We were told of a little history about her but it wasn't over the top like in our face Ruby or what?! Her story is linked to the Winchesters thus makes her pertinent to the whole plot. Not like just some random thief who does nothing but annoy the boys. Whatever! I liked that Ruby got her ass kicked. don't get me wrong, I like her. But getting bruised up liked that shows she is vulnerable (in her demon stance), too. And when she poured her heart out to Dean at the end of the episode, makes her vulnerable (in a human way). So, yeah she might come off as the kick-ass demon who saved Sam before (and now Dean) but yeah, she also had her weakness, and her weakness all just came from her wanting to be human and normal again.

Anyway, I love the small brother moment we had, the scene at the motel that had Sammy teary-eyed again telling Dean he has to be like him. I love that. Jared was so great in scenes like those. So heartfelt.

I was grossed out with the worms, maggots and the teeth spell. Yikes! Mind you, I was eating the whole time.

I liked the whole demon-witch craft stuff they added on the show. I loved that Sammy knew who was the demon out of the three. He's really a geek boy! Tammi was just like Meg!

Dean's a movie geek though - Burn Witch Burn, Fatal Attraction and Hell Raiser? WTF? Dean you watch too many movies!

The last part with Ruby and Dean. The cinematography was great, actually the whole editing was great. But then it left questions in my mind - Ruby can also lie to Dean so he can help Sam be ready for the war, but in turn can lead Sam into darkside; or she can also say the truth to have Sam be ready to win the war against the demons. Either way, she's important in whole season 3's plot.

Okay, what I don't like about the episode is that Ruby saved Dean and Dean just sat in bed and said, "You saved my life" (or something like that). That was out of character, you know. Not so Dean-like. I don't like anyone saving our boys. They have to save each other. Yeah, I'm selfish like that. I love how Sam just freaked out when he couldn't find the voodoo stuff. And how hot was Jared looking so pissed/concerned driving the Impala back to the village.

As for Dean, the ending of the episode gave us a preview of the torment Dean could face. Realizing what could become of him was too much for Dean. He might turn into something that he hates and he hunts and kills plus he's leaving his brother to fight a war on his own.

Oh, the music! Gotta love it, too. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison is

Finally, I just have to say this - the season 3 build up is getting thick and I'm liking it.
HappySquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Elite Fan

I agree, I love the season 3 buildup!

av
Old 02-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Master Fan

I don't watch much current television. I'm just a tiny bit fanatical about the shows I do watch , but I don't watch many at a time. Currently, I watch three shows (actually, only two at the moment, but I'm sure Bones will have new episodes again someday).

And yet, despite all expectations I would have of the probability of such a thing happening, every season it seems that at least two of the three shows I watch end up on at the exact same time. How this happens, I don't know. You'd think the law of averages would be on my side. Yet it does.

This season, they've moved Lost to the same time as Supernatural. I love both shows, and they're usually ones I watch and tape so I can rewatch. Can't do that now - I'm having to watch one (Lost) and tape the other to watch later (Supernatural). This means I'm going to be a bit behind in my Supernatural viewing.

Anyway, the point (besides feeling the need to rant a little ) is this - I taped this episode of Supernatural to watch, and then my tape was essentially eaten by the VCR. So I was able to watch it the once, but only once (before the unfortunate tape-eating). I feel rather at a disadvantage for discussion because I can't go back and rewatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessingcurse_calling (View Post)
Okay, so, I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, as I've just skimmed over the thread, but does anyone else find it incredibly ironic that both Sam and Ruby believe that Sam needs to be more like Dean to survive on his own when, in actuality, Dean's the one who is (or at least believes himself to be) incapable of surviving alone?
I hadn't really thought of that. Interesting.

Of course, it shows that other people have a much higher opinion of Dean and his abilities than he has himself. Not surprising from Sam - with the hero-worship he still has of his big brother, it's no shock that he'd want to make himself more like Dean. But from Ruby? Even with the antagonism between them, she does have some level of respect for him as a hunter.

Quote:
And I seriously hope we see more Dean and Ruby interaction, because the dynamic there was just awesome. Before this episode, I wasn’t really sure about her, ‘cause she kind of annoyed me. Not in an I-want-her-off-the-show kind of way; more of a she’s-seriously-overcompensating-with-this-whole-badass-demon-chick-act… But here, I think we got a little vulnerability with her, and I loved it. And that last scene? It was just amazing.
I don't think I'd go so far as to call myself a Ruby-fan yet or anything, but I did find myself liking her more in this episode. Or rather, towards the end of the episode.

First, the disclaimer: I'm still not sure I buy her "good demon" act. Because honestly, she's a demon. I don't want good demons running around the Supernatural universe - don't buy it. But, I can accept the idea that she has enough memory of being human that she doesn't want the demons to completely take over and wipe out humanity. So that's what I'm going with for the moment.

One of Ruby's very first scenes on the show was popping up to enigmatically (and annoyingly, to me) save Sam's life. I really didn't like that introduction. I'm not a fan of a show trying to convince me a new character is cool by having them be the bestest whatever, ever. And the mystery-stalker-woman thing really didn't impress me. And then here she was again, warning the poor little hunters that they were in over their head and then saving Dean's life. My response at this point in time was something like "Whatever. How have the boys managed to survive for the past twenty years without having super-demon save them every time they turn around?"

And then she shows up to save Sam and Dean again, and I was getting massively irritated. But then it changed, and while Ruby managed to distract the demon, and it was her super-special knife that killed it, Ruby was not able to single-handedly save the day. In fact, she was pretty much a goner before Dean got his hands on the knife and killed the demon, saving Ruby.

And so, I'm more okay with it. I can handle Ruby saving Dean's life earlier in the ep, since it was recipricated later. They didn't make the brothers totally useless and helpless as hunters.

And while there is no way I want (or would believe) in a Dean/Ruby relationship or anything, I did enjoy the chemistry they had in their scenes together. Ruby and Dean are disturbingly similar in some ways.

So I guess I've gone from being neutral concerning Ruby to a tentative like of her on the show. Could change again - we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnicky (View Post)
Oh, the music! Gotta love it, too. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison is
When was that song played? And did this episode have "I Put a Spell on You" playing at some point (it didn't sound like the Creedance version, but then, I can't watch the ep again so I'm not sure......... )

icon by lunas_borednow
Anla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anla (View Post)
When was that song played? And did this episode have "I Put a Spell on You" playing at some point (it didn't sound like the Creedance version, but then, I can't watch the ep again so I'm not sure......... )
Every Rose Has Its Thorn was playing before the song in the car spookily changed to I Put A Spell On You. And you're right that wasn't CCR's version of the song. It was by Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

Just an FYI: There is a Music Thread on the board
Folie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:53 AM
Elite Fan

I like the fact that Ruby didn't really save the day, that it was still Dean that killed the girl, that if he didn't do it, Ruby probably would be a goner, it shows that she's not as tough as she portrays herself to be.

Although, I was a bit bothered when Ruby saved Dean's life, he just sat there and said sth like, "you saved my life" or whatever, so OOC for Dean. I don't know, I don't like it if other people save the boys' life, I'm kinda selfish too, I want them to save each other too

av
Old 02-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Master Fan

I didn't really mind Ruby saving Dean, but the thank you moment was a bit weird. Choppy and as it has been said a bit OOC on Dean's part....
It was just a tad off in it's general consept, that's all...
I think a quiet akward moment and the shortbus exchange would have been enough and better.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:11 AM
Elite Fan

yeah, that would have been better if they didn't try to force that interaction, they could have just had an awkward moment and the shortbus exchange.

av
Old 03-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei Zhuo (View Post)
But I was like, Sam, don't leave, hold him a bit I admit, I'm addicted to brother touchage moments But I do know that Sam needed to so something fast to stop it anyway.
Oh, I know. I'm all like "Sam, what are you doing? Don't leave your brother!" But he was desperate to save Dean, and as much as we all want to see the brothers hug, that wouldn't have kept Dean from dying. (Although it would have made us fans happy )

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 03-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Moderator Support Team

Not a good idea to eat lunch while watching this episode.

To be honest I was finding this episode pretty boring. But, half way in it definitely got more interesting.

I've been pretty meh on Ruby. The first moment we saw her I thought I might like her but that faded the next time we saw her. Since then, I haven't really liked her. I actually felt a little something this episode though. I'm not calling myself a fan or anything, but I'm definitely more intrigued and interested in her character after this episode which is a surprise. And I actually liked the Dean/Ruby stuff............especially that last scene which Jensen just blew away.

So, yeah, I found that last scene all kinds of interesting for lots of reasons. Jensen was fabulous there! It made me so sad though. What the heck does Kripke have up his sleeves?

Loved the Dean/Sam scene where Sam is telling Dean he needs to be more like him, etc. Both guys were great in that scene.

Compared to others eps we had this season it's definitely one of the weaker ones IMO, but it did have some important and good moments.

And I did think the editing, cinematography, etc, was pretty great in this ep.

And of course I have to mention the boys in suits in the rain was hot as heck.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnicky (View Post)
As for Dean, the ending of the episode gave us a preview of the torment Dean could face. Realizing what could become of him was too much for Dean. He might turn into something that he hates and he hunts and kills plus he's leaving his brother to fight a war on his own.
Oh, I know. Poor Dean - that's even worse than dying for him. Thinking that he will become a demon, something evil that has to be hunted or that will hurt/kill innocents. It's the opposite of everything he's lived his life for.

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 03-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anla (View Post)
Oh, I know. Poor Dean - that's even worse than dying for him. Thinking that he will become a demon, something evil that has to be hunted or that will hurt/kill innocents. It's the opposite of everything he's lived his life for.
I agree, it must be killing Dean inside to learn that in the future, he will become one of them, that his whole life he's been fighting those demons, but to find out he's going to become the thing he despises most. Poor Dean

av
Old 03-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Master Fan

It's got to be every hunter's worst fear.

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 03-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Master Fan

Just look at Gordon...
Old 03-10-2008, 01:46 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folie (View Post)
And you're right that wasn't CCR's version of the song. It was by Screamin' Jay Hawkins.
I'm not sure whether or not I should be concerned that I realized that from the little snippet I heard. I may be just a bit obsessed with the music on this show.

Thanks for the heads-up about the Music Thread. It'll probably come in handy.

icon by lunas_borednow
Reply   Post New Thread