Fan Forum Hero

And they had bloopers of that, which was just so adorable
Awesome Nerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Taylor Swift

yes it was

my parents are home now, so i haven't watched any boy today, but i want to.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Elite Fan

Ho ho ho ...

Quote:
1x10

If you're re-watching, what are your memories of this and do they hold up?

The whole squabble between Cory and Shawn when Cory tries to give him one of his Christmas gifts but Shawn doesn't want to accept his "charity". This was a very affecting episode for me in 1993 and it still is today.

What made you laugh most?

Feeny pretending to be Santa

How about them 90's?
  • The term "butthead"
  • Feeny's gift is a massive dictionary

Notable Quotes

Shawn: "Oh no, it's a nerd swarm. Minkus, shut off your geek magnet."

Cory: (expecting wool for Christmas) "Okay, three new boxes and only one sounds itchy …"

Minkus: "I can't put his name on the card if he doesn't give me the money. Rules are rules. I'm the class treasurer; an elected official. They could subpoena my diaries."

Shawn: "I figure, this way, you've got the net and I've got the ball."
Cory: "What ball?"
Shawn: "You gave that to me."
Cory: "I think I remember you throwing this back in my face."
Shawn: "Oh, so every time you miss a pass, we're not going to be friends?"

Shawn: "Hey, when I got friends, I can get through anything."

Overall Impression

I guess this is the first major episode for Cory and Shawn's friendship. I really like the way it was handled, with plot twists you maybe should expect but don't.

Cory covering the $5 for Shawn, claiming to be the one who owed him and didn't pay him back, so that he can save face for his friend and doesn't have to feel like a deadbeat. There's quite a bit of complicated feelings involved in this storyline and how Shawn comes around in the end. I remember identifying with Cory at first and not really understanding Shawn's actions.

Aw, Minkus is the first person we see calling Shawn a deadbeat and causing him to resign himself to that notion.

Shawn + Minkus, "Merry Christmas"

Other Stuff
  • How on earth did the guy acting as Santa's elf know the name and address of the Matthews family to drive over and refund their money for the picture?
  • Lesson: A true gift is given without expectation.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah they were finally tightening things up on that end

And Christmas magic, that's how he knew

I'm so falling behind on this rewatch, caught up with catching up to the Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow seasons (all of them, because I hadn't watched any of it) before they start mingling with Supergirl this fall
Old 09-19-2016, 10:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

[1x16] Risky Business (Aired 11 Feb 1994)
Mr. Feeny has the class make a mock business, while Cory/Shawn face off with Minkus/Topanga to bet on who can make the most money, with real money. Cory and Shawn bet on horses and win a lot of money. Amy let's Cory babysit Morgan for Valentine's Day so she can go out with Alan.

[1x17] The Fugitive (Aired 25 Feb 1994)
Shawn throws a cherry bomb into a mailbox and doesn't want to go home because he thinks the cops are after him. He asks to stay over Cory's house without Cory telling his parents.

[1x18] it’s a Wonderful Night (Aired 11 Mar 1994)
Amy and Alan go out and hire a babysitter, who cancels on them, so Feeny subs in. Eric takes his driving test and fails but still decides to take his dad's car for his date. Cory tries to sneak an R-rated movie into the house.

When you are done, if you're looking for a few starting points, here are some quick questions (feel free to answer some or all or none at all):
  • If this was your first time watching, what were your impressions
  • If you're rewatching, what are your memories of this and do they hold up?
  • What made you laugh most?
  • Did anything make you cry?
  • How about them 90s?
  • Overall impression?
  • Notable quotes?
  • Parallels to Girl Meets World you noticed?
  • Anything else?

Finally, if you would like to carry on the conversation beyond this week and this thread, feel free to browse the thread guide for any number of Boy Meets World related discussion threads!
Old 09-26-2016, 06:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Going to carry on to the next set of episodes anyway, because it's not like we're all caught up anyway Can't wait til I can catch up... I'm actually thinking of redoing my notes for the first six, too

-----

[1x19] Kid Gloves (Aired 25 March 1994)
Alan gives Cory a gift for his birthday, a necklace with silver boxing gloves on them. Without explaining the meaning of them to Cory, he is careless with them and loses them. Cory feels terrible after hearing what they meant to Alan.

[1x20] The Play's The Thing (Aired 29 April 1994)
Cory gets cast as Hamlet in the school play, but when he thinks the material is too soft, he quits.

[1x21] Boy Meets Girl (Aired 6 May 1994)
After watching a movie about puberty and hormones in Feeny's class, Shawn gets his first date. Cory gets jealous and thinks he has to best Shawn so he asks Topanga on a date. When Cory's parents find out the date is made through jealousy they tell him it is wrong and he should cancel it.

When you are done, if you're looking for a few starting points, here are some quick questions (feel free to answer some or all or none at all):
  • How about them 90s?
  • Overall impression?
  • Notable quotes?
  • Anything else?

Finally, if you would like to carry on the conversation beyond this week and this thread, feel free to browse the thread guide for any number of Boy Meets World related discussion threads!
Old 09-29-2016, 04:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I will officially be twenty episodes behind by the time Monday rolls around. I don't know if I should re-watch episode 1x02 or 1x19.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

You can do it! I'm behind too
Old 10-03-2016, 06:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Going to do things a bit different this week, we have the season finale, and rather than jumping right into season 2, let's take this week as an opportunity to catch ourselves up, because I know many of us... myself included... are behind on a number of episodes. There's no guarantee or obligation that you will catch up on all of it this week, but maybe this will be as good an incentive as any to get a bit closer to that (even if I won't get to, because I'm still on my DC up marathon )

------------------

[1x22] I Dream of Feeny (Aired 13 May 1994)
Cory and Shawn wish that Feeny would get sick so they don't have to take their Geography exams. Feeny winds up in the hospital and Cory feels guilty.

• How about them 90s?
  • Overall impression?
  • Notable quotes?
  • Anything else?

Old 10-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ That's a wonderful idea! We all need some time to catch up. Let's see how far each of us gets in that.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Elite Fan

Hope you get to watch some soon.

Quote:
1x11

If you're re-watching, what are your memories of this and do they hold up? None

• Morgan's almost sugar coma
  • All of Cory's descriptions of how he spends his arduously relaxing weekends
  • Leonard spouting some pretty dark thoughts about life here and there

How about them 90's?
  • I know fashion observations are redundant but, wow re: Cory's outfit and especially Shawn's dotted shirt at lunch. And Topanga's partially plaid dress.
  • Ooh, Topanga's very thick 90's choker.

Notable Quotes

Cory: "Can you spell 'peculiar'?"
Topanga: "Oh, and you're normal? You talk to a flag every day and you don't even know what you're saying."

Minkus: (chipper about the weekend ending) "Only three days till Monday!"

Shawn: (pouring a shaker of salt on Minkus' hamburger) "I don't know if this is a personality disorder with me or what?"

Shawn: (fake surprise) "Hey Minkus, is that Stephen Hawking?"

Eric: "Look, we're just asking you to get us off the hook."
Amy: "No. This is your hook, and you're gonna hang on it like the worms you are."

Cory: "Dad, unbelievably, my left leg has to be tested for radon tomorrow."

Overall Impression

This episode was on the heart-centered side. I'm always surprised that I don't see the plot twists coming, lol, so kudos to the writers there.

Parallels to GMW?

Cory being tricked into the class debate, The Pledge of Allegiance vs. Social Protest, reminds me of Riley in 3X11 "Girl Meets the Real World".

Also, the boys' desire to get out of the traditional father/son baseball game with dad is similar to 1x17 in GMW "Girl Meets Game Night" and 1x4 "Girl Meets Father" (where Riley would rather go to the dance than uphold the family tradition of going on the Coney Island roller coaster).

Other Stuff
  • The "Unicorn Rainbow" bookstore, 'that new age place'. Boy, the condescension towards New Age-y things in the early 90's, as reflected on television … "You let those sandal-wearing, crystal-packing, brown-rice-eating veg-heads walk all over you?"
  • Oh, the bookstore is owned by Topanga's father.
  • The pledge of allegiance? Were kids actually forced to do that?
  • Lesson: If there's something or someone you care about, it's good to show your allegiance.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ It didn't work out. I'm going to try to watch as many episodes as I can during the weekend. If I can get to the tenth episode by Monday morning, then it will be a huge accomplishment.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Elite Fan

Good luck!
Quote:
1x12

Feeny's math question in the beginning, I remember that. Disappointed to learn that there's no concrete answer like I thought there was.

• Topanga channeling an ancient Egyptian mathematician and Shawn saying, "Check please!"
  • Everything Shawn
  • Minkus inadvertently discovering the equation to time travel!

How about them 90's?
  • "NYPD Blue" reference
  • "Full House" reference
  • Freddy Kreuger reference

Notable Quotes

F: "Minkus, you're wrong."
M: "Wrong? As in, 'not right'?"

Eric: "Maybe mom forgot her ball." (lifts red high heel pumps)
Shawn: "And if those are bowling shoes, there should be a number on the back - just above the spiked heel."

Shawn: "By day, two ordinary kids. By night, two ordinary kids on a bus …"

Alan (to Amy): "Oh, I was sneaky enough. They only caught you, you brazen hussy."

Eric: "Mom, are we still a family or have we become, like, an Afterschool Special."

Overall Impression

There's something pretty sad about the fact that Cory's parents have to lie to their kids in order to establish a weekly date night with just the two of them.

Parallels to GMW?

The same word problem is posed in "Girl Meets the Secret of Life", 2x03, where we got the lesson, "People change people". Farkle is wrong, as was Minkus, and they literally wash cars this time.

Cory being adorably overdramatic:

"I can't keep this a secret, Eric. You know me! I'll crack. Dad'll say 'good night, son' and I'll say, 'MOM WAS WITH ANOTHER GUY!!'"

"She's gone! Mom's gone! She left! I don't see her! WE'LL NEVER SEE HER AGAIN, ERIC! WE DON'T HAVE A MOTHER ANYMORE!"

Other Stuff

• "We want to stay hot for each other." Amy and Alan are really modern parents!
  • Eric had quite a few dumb moments again
  • Lesson: Sometimes in life, there is no right or wrong answer, but a gray area.

Quote:
1x13

Minkus tearing up the origami, obsessively repeating "She loves me, she loves me not" is all coming back to me. Also the feeling of how invested I was in the Eric/Topanga plotline when I first watched.

Eric gallantly explaining to Topanga why she's too young for him, while also being unable to resist accepting all the compliments.

How about them 90's?
  • Topanga's value on political correctness, as gleaned by Cory.
  • Clear shot of the super long antenna coming out of the base for the portable phone in Cory's room

Notable Quotes

T: "I think people who judge other people by their outward appearances are shallow and ignorant, and will have much to answer for in their next life."
C: "Well that may be the way it works on Remulac, but here on Earth - you're a nerd, you pay."

M: (released from Shawn's headlock) "I've got two words for you … anti-perspirant."
S: (scoffs) "That's three words."

C: "That's just what I want, to be Topanga's boyfriend. And then we can name our children Chewbacca and Plankton."

C: "Tell her that we both think she's scum. And that I'm politically incoherent."
E: "Incorrect."
C: "There you go."

Overall Impression

They did a good job of not making Topanga's crush on Eric too obvious or too subtle to recognize. This feels like one of the classic early episodes. Also, it's unique in that Feeny didn't drive home the lesson of the day, Eric did.

Parallels to GMW?

I guess the whole Joshaya story arc can at least be compared.

Other Stuff
  • Topanga has an older sister named Nebbie, short for Nebula (that we actually meet!). And eats sandwiches made of brown rice.
  • "Topanga does not have a squish on me [i.e., crush]." Wish they would bring the "squish" reference into GMW. Or brownies.
  • Eric has his first big episode of serious moments
  • Lesson: As you grow up, you'll start to feel a lot of new stuff inside you that you might not understand right away.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Would be nice to see ol' Nebbie on GMW... or any of the Lawrence clan To show Riley and Auggie are also part of them.

Hoping to be able to catch up this week I might go more on a running commentary method instead of my own questions
Old 10-10-2016, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think I'll extend the season 1 catch up one more week, what do you guys think?
Reply   Post New Thread